cigarette ends | โœŽ

By _crescents

"๐ˆ'๐ฅ๐ฅ ๐Ÿ๐ฎ๐œ๐ค ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ until you're screaming for forgiveness," I whispered, "until your apologies are like... More

introduction.
aesthetics.
i.
ii.
iii.
iv.
v.
vi.
vii.
viii.
x.
xi.
xii.
xiii.
xiv.
xv.
xvi.
xvii.
xviii.
xix.
xx.
xxi.
xxii.
xxiii.
xxiv.
xxv.
xxvi.
xxvii.
xxviii.
xxix.
xxx.
xxxi.
xxxii.
xxxiii.
xxxiv.

ix.

6.4K 211 407
By _crescents

nine 4-inch heels

The next morning, bright and early, we had a motherfucking history test that had completely slipped my mind.

And, to put the cherry on top: I sucked at history.

And my sucking at history, I'm talking failing my tests to the point where, yes, I did have to kiss some of my teachers' ass to pass the class.

Luckily, as soon as our tests were passed out, it happened to just be a few essays and they provided us with documents that we had to find claims within and write about. The documents they gave us had practically all the information we needed to complete the essays.

The competition was over in a couple hours. They herded us all back into the auditoriums where we sat next to our groups.

I hadn't talked to Augustus all day, so I opted to sit next to Callum.

"Good morning, sexy." He winked at me. "How was the test?"

I hid my smile. "Not bad, especially with the documents they provided. You?"

"Easy. I take history classes that cover those topics at Princeton."

"Right. Aren't you majoring in law?"

"Yes ma'am."

I nodded, glancing at the stage. Dr. Brown was motioning at someone behind the large red curtain before testing the microphone.

"So... what's going on with you and Augie?" Callum asked.

"What?" I swung my head back at him quickly. "Nothing. What makes you ask?"

His smirk indicated that I had responded too fast to be casual about the topic. I silently cursed myself. "Defensive, are we?"

I crossed my arms and slid down further into the seat. "No."

"That's always how it starts, you know," he continued. "'No, Callum, I swear we don't like each other,'" he mocked. "'No, Callum, he wasn't fingering me behind the statues yesterday. No, Callum, I wasn't sucking his dick in the museum bathroom-'"

"Shut up," I hissed. "Fuck you. It's not like that."

He just chuckled. "Sure, Em. Whatever you say."

"I hate him," I pressed. "He's so... obnoxious. Every time I think I did well on a test, he's there to remind me that he did better. So I do it right back. There's nothing between us – only competition."

"Right. But what happens when you share a room at night, Em? Do you compete for the larger part of the bed?" He raised his brows suggestively. "Or maybe who gets to be on top?"

I shoved him. "You're disgusting."

"Okay, but hypothetically... it would be you, right?"

"Obviously," I said, playing along. "Augustus definitely whimpers and begs in bed."

He let out a large breath, as if he was anxious. "I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking that."

I couldn't hold back my laugh. The image of Augustus on his knees, groveling, was something that I would never get over.

Something that I needed to see for myself.

"Good morning, everyone!" Dr. Brown tapped the microphone a couple times for good measure. "I hope the history exam did well for all of you and I'm excited to announce the aspect of the International College Fair that we'll be presenting next: a group competition.

"You will gather in your hexad's and choose any topic in history that adheres to the subject of breaking a barrier. That can mean anything you want: whether physically, or mentally. This topic must pertain to an event within the past 300 years, but it can take place anywhere in the world. You can look at the email sent out for more information.

"The rest of the day, you may gather in your groups and travel back to your hotels, or you may walk to the library next-door and continue to work. Today is Wednesday, April 19th. The finished project should be ready to be presented by this coming Monday, April 24th. If you have any questions, you may talk to me or any of the other advisors around. Thank you and have fun!"

Standing up, I met with the others, and we collectively decided to visit the library in order to start on our project.

I ended up walking next to Rohan on our way to the library. I admired his outfit choice – all black, with cargoes and a simple T-shirt. It fit him so well.

"Hi, Emmy," he said when he noticed me staring at him.

"Hi, Rohan. I love your outfit," I replied, smiling.

"Thank you." He toyed with the hem of his shirt. "It always takes me a while to choose one."

"Right? That's why I tend to do it the night before, so that I don't waste too much time in the morning.

"That's a good idea," he replied, nodding. "I'll try it next time."

We arrived at the library a short time later. We decided to sit at a large table, setting down our bags and getting out our laptops.

"Anyone want coffee?" Callum asked once we were mostly settled.

We all raised our hands, and he chuckled before getting orders from everyone and going downstairs to get Starbucks for us all.

Once he was back, Aurora rubbed her hands together. "Alright. I'm thinking we should do something about space – the first man in space, maybe? Or the first aircraft?"

"That's a good idea," I said, taking a sip of my coffee.

"We could also do something about a person who defied their government or social standards – such as Rosa Parks," Rohan suggested.

"Maybe Malala Yousafzai?" Augustus said. "She defied the Taliban by going to school and ended up getting shot."

"That's actually perfect," Aurora said. "She paved the way for others after her. Wasn't she an education activist?"

We ended up discussing Malala and how we could incorporate her into a project. Callum and I ended up having to walk to the arts and crafts store across the street in order to buy a poster board to go along with our presentation. Yes, we were that much extra. 

"This school is seriously next to a ton of great shops. Princeton is across from some eateries, but having a library at this proximity? It's amazing," Callum said.

"I agree. Harvard is the same way. We don't have nearly any libraries or good shops near us." I glanced around at all of the shops that lined the sides of the road, my smile widening when my eye caught the name of one sign. "There's even a nightclub."

Callum's brow rose as he met my gaze. "We might have to check that out."

By the time we returned, the four others had already gathered tons of research and were sorting through numerous books, magazines, and articles. I guess that's the positive side of teaming up with students from the top universities of the United States – they were always one step ahead.

✦✧✦✧

After grabbing dinner at a nearby sandwich bar, the clock was nearing 9pm and we were all sick of sitting in the same area. We packed our bags and neatly folded up our poster board, which we had started working on after we got a majority of our research done.

"Hey... if y'all aren't too burned out, there's a nightclub around the corner that we could always check out," Callum suggested. Multiple heads popped up, interested.

"Do we need ID's?" Rohan asked.

"Most likely. Do you not have one?" Lacey rose a teasing brow.

"I do. Do the rest of you?" he replied.

We all nodded.

Callum clapped his hands in excitement. "Great. Let's take a bus back to the hotel and meet in the hotel lobby at 9:30."

As soon as we got back to the hotel room at 9:15, I dropped my back to the floor and placed the poster on our kitchen counter. Then I rummaged through the closet, eager to change and get ready.

"Look who's suddenly impatient to run off to do something illegal," Augustus chuckled. I glanced back at him just as he pulled his shirt off in one fluid motion. I ignored the way his biceps flexed with the movement – ignored the hard planes of his stomach underneath.

"Don't tell me you've never been to a nightclub," I replied, turning my gaze back to the closet.

"Of course I have." I felt his presence right behind me and I froze. He reached a hand over my shoulder to grab one of his white button-downs, and only when he removed his hand did I start breathing again. "But I wouldn't have expected miss goody-two-shoes to have a fake ID."

I settled on the simple, short, lacey black bodycon dress that rose to my upper thighs. I also grabbed the heels I had bought – 4-inch lace up black stilettos – and turned to face my enemy. "Looks like I exceeded your expectations. Again."

He let his eyes fall to the dress, then glanced back up at me. "That's what you're wearing?"

"Is there something wrong?"

His lips twisted into a smirk. "Nothing's wrong. Nothing except the blood that's going to be on my knuckles tonight."

I didn't ask him to elaborate. I simply walked into the bathroom and shut the door on his smug face, wanting to get ready in peace in quiet.

Ten minutes later, I emerged with my hair straightened and large golden hoops hanging from my ears. I applied dark red lipstick and smokey eyeshadow, just for fun.

I would never get over the look on Augustus' face when he turned to face me. I would never get over the way his lips parted as his gray eyes darkened, burning lines down my body. I would never get over the way his fists clenched and unclenched, the way his throat bobbed with an unpermitted swallow.

"Shall we go?" I stepped next to him to grab my bag. But even with my heels, he still somehow towered over me.

He cleared his throat and opened the hotel room door for me. I smiled and stepped by him, fully aware of every part of my body that grazed his. And by his sharp inhale of breath, I was sure that he was, too.

When we arrived in the lobby, Lacey placed a hand on her mouth and her eyes widened at the sight of me. Aurora squealed next to her and they both ran up to me.

"God, you look stunning!" Aurora said immediately. 

I glanced at her outfit – a red dress, similar to mine, but hers had a plunging neckline and the back was open, held together by only a few criss-crossing strings. Her heels were red to match her dress and somehow even larger than mine, but she still managed to walk effortlessly.

"So do you!" I replied, then glanced at Lacey. "God, you look gorgeous."

She was in a tight white dress with a ruffled hem at the bottom that tilted upward, revealing more of her thigh. Her heels were similar to mine except white, and half of her hair was pulled back into a braid in the back.

"Says you!" She hugged me tightly, and against my ear, she whispered, "I'm so glad you're doing this. I'm so proud of you."

Something melted inside of me at her words. "I love you," I muttered back. "Thank you."

We arrived at the nightclub fifteen minutes later via bus, with Callum's occasional commentary about my dress. It took some persuading, but with the three of us batting our eyes, he eventually just let us in despite being suspicious of our ID's.

"I need to update my picture," Lacey muttered. "That ID was from a few years ago, when I had the most disgusting bangs to exist."

We chuckled, and Rohan led us to the bar. I sat down and admired the bartender.

"Good evening," he said with a charming smile.

"Hi." I placed my head on my hands. "How are you?"

He leaned over the counter, resting on his forearms. "I'm great now. And you?"

I chatted with the bartender – his name was Louis – before ordering my drink. Only a few minutes and a couple sips later, Augustus sat down next to me.

"How's your drink?" he asked.

"Amazing," I replied, taking another sip.

Then he leaned down suddenly, his lips grazing my ear, his deep voice a whisper. "Everyone is staring at you like you're their next meal."

I smirked at him. "And what's your problem?"

He glanced at me, at the dress, and shook his head. A smile tilted his lips upward into a devilish grin. "I don't have a problem, babydoll. They're going to be the ones with the problem once they find out that you'll be sleeping in my bed tonight."

I had a feeling that, with this alcohol in our system, we might be doing a little more than just sleeping.

hi againnn

im sacrificing studying for my math test to write for you guys - ur welcome

this definitely has to be one of my favorite chapters so far. i can't wait for the next one ;)

thank you for reading, and see you at the end of chapter 10 <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.8M 79.1K 42
Academic Rivals to Lovers in a Boarding School ..... "You wanna know the really dumb meaning behind my name?" He muses and I walk ahead of him. "Nope...
155K 5.5K 58
๐’๐จ๐ฉ๐ก๐ข๐š ๐‚๐ฅ๐š๐ซ๐ค is smart, quiet, shy and beautiful. She joined crystal high sophomore year and soon won the hearts of all teachers with her...
13.2K 1.3K 54
Ivan callum with the face of a angel never let's a chance go where he has to watch his academic rival Rose Levine fail. But the feeling is mutual. W...
5.6M 102K 60
{NEEDS EDITING} ....::::**โ€ขยฐโœพยฐโ€ข**::::.... ๐๐จ๐จ๐ค ๐Ÿ ๐จ๐Ÿ โ๐“๐ก๐ž ๐๐ฎ๐ข๐ž๐ญ ๐’๐ž๐ซ๐ข๐ž๐ฌโž ....::::**โ€ขยฐโœพยฐโ€ข**::::.... "Death is the easy way out, rem...