Two Sides to Every Love (Gene...

By Shadowlumi

Sequel to "Two Sides to Every Girl" It was almost the end of summer before Y/n's senior year, and she was hap... More

Before You Read
Chapter 1~ Relationships
Chapter 2~ Sudden Vacation
Chapter 3~ Coincidence? I Think Not
Chapter 4~ Kept Secret
Chapter 5~ Rekindle an Old Flame
Chapter 6~ Katelyn's Care
Chapter 7~ Heartbreak
Chapter 8~ Breakups Suck
Chapter 9~ Clothes and Soup
Chapter 10~ Big News
Chapter 11~ Work = Fun?
Chapter 12~ The Prospect of Love
Chapter 13~ I'm Feelin' Twenty Tw- Five. Twenty Five.
Chapter 14~ Falling For You
Chapter 15~ Way Home
Chapter 16~ Fireworks
Chapter 17~ Start Anew
Chapter 19~ Siblings
Chapter 20~ Home Sweet Home
Chapter 21~ Business Proposal
Chapter 22~ Worry About You
Chapter 23~ Healing
Chapter 24~ Smile
Chapter 25~ The End of All Things
Chapter 26~ Nightmare Before Christmas
Chapter 27~ Dear Diary
Chapter 28~ Our Spot
Chapter 29 🍋~ Greedy
Chapter 30~ Maid Café Shenanigans
Epilogue
Final Author's Note
Side Story 1~ OKAY I PULL UP
Side Story 2~ A "Little Bit" Drunk
Side Story 3~ Prom Night
Side Story 4~ New Year('s Eve), New Friend

Chapter 18~ Oh No He Didn't!

86 1 4
By Shadowlumi

"You know, Y/n, we've known each other for almost ten years," Laurance said, taking a seat across from me.

"Wait. What?!"

Every so often he and I would go out to eat, just to talk one and one without the presence of our ever-so eccentric housemates. Even if it was February and freezing.

"Yeah, we met in our sophomore year when we were both 15, and September, ten years later, is coming up."

"Man, I feel old!" I remarked.

"You feel old? Try being 25! Cadenza made me feel so great with the 25 balloons in my childhood room, 25 candles on my cake, a $25 gift card, 25 being the last year I can rely on my parents for health insurance written in my card, and to top it all off, 25 fashion tips! My Irene is she self-obsessed for that one..."

"Aw c'mon, you know Cadenza cares." I grinned. "This is your last year you're able to get hit by a bus without worries— other than the pain part. You should live it up while you can! Oh, and by the way, you're saying this like I'm not also turning 25 in a couple months! I get it, trust me."

"Yeah, us adopted kids are just connected like that. Speaking of that, I never met my biological parents, you think your parents might've had tw—"

"Don't. You. Dare. You and I've dated in the past, let me remind you. Also, I'm kinda like an ex-adopted kid, so we aren't that connected."

Laurance sighed. "You wound me."

Getting walked in on when kissing someone is really uncomfortable, especially if the one walking in is a friend of ten years in September, who happens to be an ex-boyfriend. Oh, and the one you're kissing is the reason why that friend is an ex.

"Laurance didn't seem to like what he saw," Gene remarked.

"Gene..." I warned, my face burning.

In response, he wore a defiant high school smirk. I barged out the door, calling after Laurance, who thankfully was just down the hall. I felt myself grow shaky. Ugh...what do I say...?

Forcing a grin, I said, "Hey! It's good to see you again! Sorry that you had to walk in and um. Y'know."

Laurance turned around and wore an awkward expression on his face. "It's...good to see you too. Like, just good to see you, not like you two. I mean good for" Laurance sighed. "I must've missed a lot while I was gone."

"We should catch up," I suggested. "I'm sure your summer's been pretty crazy, too."

"Yeah, it...has been. I'm gonna say hi to all the guys, but I'll see you around, Y/n." And with that, Laurance and I parted ways, with me returning to my room. With Laurance being back, I really should get around to telling Gene. I'd rather him hear it from me rather than anyone else...

I turned the door handle, but the door stayed shut. Unfortunately, I didn't have my key on me. "Geeeene!"

"About to take a shower," he called back.

My focus shifted to biting back an ill-intentioned grin. "Okay, and? Could you unlock the door?"

"...Why did you mess with the door handle even more after I Come back later!"

"For someone about to take a shower, you sure don't sound like you're in the bathroom!" With my hand still on the handle, the door swung inward and my head hit the frame. "Ugh, jerk!" I remarked, closing the door behind me.

"How's your prince?" Gene questioned.

"I don't know, how are ya?" I shook my head. "Actually, I had it right the first time, you're a jerk! What, you jealous~?"

"Do you want me to be?" He tilted my chin upwards and drew closer while his voice became increasingly hushed. "Jealous, possessive, and keep you all to" He suddenly pulled back. "Why is your face red, weirdo? You weren't even gone that long, why would I be jealous?"

I sheepishly laughed. "I was joking. A-Anyways, I have something important to tell you, but it can wait till you shower, I guess."

He smirked. "Or you could tell me while."

My head began to spin and I instinctively began to shake my head. "It'd be too hot. With...how cramped it'd be. Gene, we're in a hotel with our friends, which includes your brother. And...I've never even"

He pet my head and turned around, taking a seat at the edge of his bed. His eyes held a softness to them and any hint of mischief had faded. "What's up?"

"I don't really know how to say this without being blunt, so... Back in my first year of college, Laurance and I dated."

Gene stared blankly at me before shrugging. "So he's the other relationship. I mean, I guess it makes sense. He seemed to like you back in high school."

My face scrunched up. "No way, he liked Aph. He probably just let go cause they weren't as close after high school."

"If I'm remembering right, didn't he hang out with you outside of school before he knew we were dating? He didn't do that with girls he passively flirted with."

"I mean, I guess, but it was probably just as friends. Anyways, who cares about that. You're not mad?" I questioned.

He rolled his eyes. "Mad at you for thinking it was just as friends! But yeah, the past is in the past. I just hope he doesn't still have feelings for you."

"Pffttt! We dated seven years ago, there's no way he'd" Gene's narrowed eyes made me cut myself off. "Oh, right... Well, the difference between you and Laurance is that I've been friends with him over the years. I know there's nothing there."

*~o~o~o~*

Sometimes, people are wrong.

Laurance had asked if I wanted to grab lunch with him after he caught up with the guys. It was going well at first, with us talking about Caleb, Laurance's baby brother, but it started going downhill once how I spent my summer was brought up.

"So, when did you guys run into Gene?"

I winced, as if given an injection. "I ran into him when I was set up on a blind date by one of my friends."

"I'm...guessing it went well," Laurance remarked.

His tone went completely over my head, and I carried on carelessly. "Not at all, actually. I ended up storming off cause I wasn't prepared to see him after eight years. We made up the next time we saw each other. Speaking of Gene, um...did you tell anyone about us?"

"No...why, have you not told anyone?"

I shook my head and before I could explain, Laurance's fist collided with the table, causing my shoulders to jump.

"Oh no he didn't!" he shouted.

I hid my face in my hands when people started glancing our way. I should just stop going out places. CLEARLY, I attract too much attention! "L-Laurance, what's wrong?"

"Why is he hiding that you two are dating? He seemed to make you keep it under wraps in high school, too."

"Me not telling you that he and I were dating then was my fault, and you know it..."

"Well— fine, but if I were him, I'd want to show you off and let everyone know, that's all."

"Do you wish it were you?" I blurted. Ohhhh noooo...

"Yeah, I do." There was a long pause before he spoke again. "For the past two years, I started having feelings for you again and...I thought maybe I had a shot. College felt like a thing of the past so... Why him, Y/n? Why reopen that chapter?"

"I'm sorry you feel that way, but...it isn't reopening a chapter. It's a new book completely. There's no high school immaturity and insecurity, and despite how many years it's been, we still care a lot about each other. I care about you too, and I don't want to invalidate how you feel, but I'm not a safe bet."

"If I told you how I felt before this summer, would you have turned me down?" he asked.

I gave a small nod. "I wasn't sure what I wanted then. I'm sorry if I led you on or anything like that, but I really hope you can find the one for you."

He leaned his head back and sighed. "This is probably gonna be a stupid question, but...is Gene yours?"

The question rang in my head for a few moments before I replied, "I think that people can have multiple soulmates, it's just the matter of which one you meet. To answer your question...yes."

"How do you know you're actually in love with someone?"

I shrugged. "You just do."

"Help me out here!" he exclaimed.

"It's too cheesy to say out loud...but fine, I'll pass down my fair wisdom I've gained after being in a relationship for a few days." I took a deep breath, my face starting to feel warm. "You're comforted by just their presence or their touch. You feel like you can go to them for anything. You imagine a future with them, and um...you trust them a lot and they feel like a best friend?"

"I could figure that out with any romance novel or show."

I groaned. "I didn't say my advice was gonna be good. Trust me, you'll just know. They'll feel different compared to anyone else you've met."

"I thought you said they'll feel like a best friend."

I wracked my brain for a better definition, but all that was playing was a carton of milk spilling over. The inner machinations of my mind are an enigma... I eventually ceased my thinking when I noticed Laurance staring behind me. I furrowed my brows and looked over my shoulder, causing my eyes to almost pop out of their sockets. "B/n?! G/n?!"

"Hey, Y/n," B/n greeted, his expression flat. He stood before Laurance and I's table and asked G/n to find them a place to sit. His eyes narrowed at me. "Should I start with happy belated birthday or asking about when you were planning on speaking to me again?"

It's great to see you again, too...yeesh. My eyes met with Laurance, and I signaled him to go elsewhere. He got up from his seat and did just that, leaving B/n to sit across from me.

"I'm sorry, I really am. I got caught up with things. I didn't mean to not speak to you."

He crossed his arms. "You didn't just not speak to me, but you had me blocked for two months. That's my problem here. You've went five years without speaking to me before, so what was I supposed to think?"

"I was upset with you after our last meeting and forgot to unblock you! I wouldn't cut you off like that again." Reunited with someone who wouldn't let me get away with that, anyways.

"I pissed you off that much?" His face softened. "I'm your older brother but I keep screwing up... I'm sorry, Y/n."

Wow! That easy? "It's okay...you can't help your genetics."

He sighed. "I guess I deserved that. Anyways, what has summer brought you?"

My face contorted into an awkward smile. "Uh. Nothing much. Just some much needed time relaxing."

"I doubt that with the face you're making! But I'll let you get back to Lorel- Laurance. Plus, I don't want to keep G/n waiting. Let's catch up another day."

"Alright, sounds good. Just be sure not to drop by randomly."

"Why's that?" he asked.

"My neighborhood blew up so I kinda don't have the same address. Or...an address at all."

"...Oh."
·~+·~+·~+·~+·~+·~+·~+·~+·~+·~+·~+·~+·~+·

A/n: I also hope it's the last time Y/n has to explain herself cuz I feel like it's getting repetitive?? Or maybe it's cuz I've struggled with the past two chapters over the course of three months...

Thanks for reading kawaii potato cats! I love each and every single one of you very muchly! Catch you all later! Baii~ 💖Shadow🎮

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2K 7 19
Since freshman year,y/n has been friends with Sasha, up until junior year,y/n didn't talk to Zenix and Gene much. In senior year,y/n and Gene begins...
10.8K 430 88
| COMPLETE | [this is the first draft of my story. so, if there's grammatical mistakes and continuity errors, i apologize and i will be editing in th...
32K 1K 26
SEQUEL TO GENE X READER: BAD LOVE Before Gene left From highschool You and him promised to be together in the future. Years later you guys finally se...
208K 7.2K 28
(Y/N) doesn't have a fantastic life. In fact, they don't even like it that much. Their only friends are Gene, Sasha, and Zenix but even with that, th...