scratch

By roxann_season

Sometimes we wish we could start from scratch. Cold and heartless Kaden Romano, was going to get his second c... More

updating and other info.
Prologue
Chapter 1 - Rejection (Kaden POV)
Chapter 2 - Karma's A B!tch (Kaden POV)
Chapter 3 - The Past, Changing The Present (Kaden POV)
Chapter 4 - The Past, Brought Me... (Kaden POV)
Chapter 5 - The Past, Building Us... (Kaden POV)
character key~~
Chapter 6 - The Past, The Fae Truth... (Kaden POV)
Chapter 7 - The Past, Breaking The Ice (Kaden POV)
Chapter 8 - The Past That Keeps On Coming, This isn't Twice (Kaden POV)
Chapter 9 - The Past, Two Black Spots, The First (Kaden POV)
Chapter 10 - The Past, Two Black Spots, The Second (Kaden POV)
Overview
Chapter 11 - The Past, Loved Twice, New Start (Kaden POV)
Chapter 12 - The Past, The Keepers and The Takers (Kaden POV)
Chapter 13 - The Past, The Unexpected Truth (Kaden POV)
Chapter 14 - The Past, Getting There (Kaden POV)
Chapter 14 [outtake]
Chapter 16 - The Past, Come What May (Donovan POV)
Chapter 17 - The Past, Going Home (Kaden POV)
Chapter 18 - The Past, The Children Know (Kaden POV)
Chapter 19 - The Past, Passing Knowledge (Kaden POV)
Chapter 20 - The Past, The Children Know (Kaden POV) Part 2
Chapter 21 - The Present The Past Caught Up (Kaden POV)
Chapter 22 - The Present Still Has Surprises (Kaden POV)
Chapter 22 OUTTAKE
Chapter 23 - No Op-Shuns, No Choice (Kaden POV)
Chapter 24 - Not What it Seems (Kaden)
Chapter 25 - Abracadabra (Kaden POV)
Chapter 25 [outtake] - Aftermath (Kaden POV)
Chapter 26 - Starting Over (Kaden POV)
Epilogue - Rich On Goodbyes Alone (Kaden POV)
SpinOff.
Shattered (Book#1)
Help?

Chapter 15 - The Past, It Changes (Kaden POV)

21.2K 1.4K 60
By roxann_season

NOT EDITED.

Chapter 15 — The Past, The Decisions, The Results and Changes (Kaden POV)

How much of children came from biology? I wasn't sure, I wouldn't have said much but Ree and Morgan, Sawyer and Tristan, the four of them not only had mannerisms of myself but my family. The way Tristan would open his eyes as wide as they could go when he was listening, like my brother and grandfather. Or the way that Sawyer when she was anxious, like my mother, like Etta, she'd tap her index finger when her hand was laid out flat on any surface.

And like Etta when Sawyer had a question, she was a thinker, her forehead creased; she bit her lips rolling the words around her mind probably — like Etta. Not wanting to rush her, I continue feeding Ree, until finally, "Do you really smell things like me?" she asked.

"Yes..." not being raised with supernatural parents and with the social worker not paying attention, "when I was younger, about ten," I made sure I kept eye contact, "I used to hear a voice in my head too."

Looking away, fidgeting with the utensils, "what did they voice in your head tell you?"

"Well... sometimes it would tell me jokes... or it would keep me company, tell me things... give me advice..."

Again the finger tapping, "Did it go away?"

I wanted to trust my children; I wanted to be honest with Sawyer, with all of them, "When I was about nineteen and with my family, someone took me and they did bad things to me, and what they did, made all the talking stop." With wide frightened eyes "Why did they take you? The bad people I mean?"

"People like us, like Etta and I, John, Ree, Morgan, all of us, we normally live together in big groups so that when those people that try to harm us do that... we can all defend each other. I was alone once and not paying attention and they took me," she nodded, turning back to her own plate. Putting some food in her mouth, chewing and swallowing, she started up again, "How did you get away from the bad people?"

Sighing, scooping some oatmeal in Ree's spoon, I try to water down for a seven year old how I escaped the monsters that had taken hold of me, "The bad people had me locked away, and they would let me out for experiments — do you know what that means?"

Giving me a 'duh of course I do' look, "It's what you do when you have a theory and — and you want to test your answer," she says confidently. Trying to think back I wondered if I knew that answer when I was her age, and I did. "How did you know that?"

Giggling her smile wide, "Arthur and Magic School Bus and Sesame Street," she counts on her right hand.

"Okay well, the bad people they would do experiments on me, trying different yucky medicines..." I make a twisted face, crossing my eyes, making it humorous for her when inside my stomach curls when I remember the truth of my time with them.

"So they — they gave you yucky medicine when you were not sick?" her eyes wide.

Nodding, "Did they give you the needle? I hate the needle!"

"Yes, they gave me lots of needles," I shake my head, "what did the medicine do to you? It took your voice away?" she tapped the side of her head.

"Yes... it took my voice away and when they gave me the medicine it — I had to listen and do whatever they wanted me too."

"Like — like if you took the medicine you had to — you did whatever they said to do? Even — like even when you didn't want too?" she asks as though she's never heard of such a thing, and immediately, I promise myself that she — none ­of my children — would ever be in that position.

"Yes, do — do you know the game Simon says?"

"Uh huh," her mumbles around her mouth full.

"Well the medicine that they were giving me, made bad people Simon, and I had to do what they said..."

"Even if it was naughty?"

"Even then Sawyer," I reply regretfully.

.

.

.

We played our time with the kids by ear, trying to spend time with Sawyer and Tristan — one on one — while with the other children as well. Morgan who seemed to trail after Tristan and Myles, seemed to warm up to me just a bit slower than the boys, but if I wanted her around me the easiest way was to have my two little men with me.

Getting ready, Etta dressing for the day as well, a new thought came to me, turning to her, "Where — we don't have room for Sawyer and Tristan — not on the island and not in that shack-" I stopped abruptly when her face hardens.

"Don't forget... you built that shack for me," she said in mock outrage, throwing my head back, I laugh deeply shaking my head. "Well — we're going to need to expand the shack or the house on my island," pushing her brows together a frown on her soft face.

"The house next to Johns' is ours," she said slowly. "Why weren't you living there Etta?" I asked in confusion, I mean the five of them in that small place, in one room, so cramped.

Her cheeks redden, "We built that place for us together, decorated it together, I just — you weren't there Kaden," she whispers and my heart clenches. Abandoning my shirt on the bed, I go to her, gazing at her in amazement... "Is that — you think it's stupid?"

I shake my head, my hand trailing up her arm my touch feather soft, "No... we had memories there and it was overwhelming for you to be there," I understand her reluctance to live there. Lowering my head down to hers, I place, mold my lips to hers, "I really don't deserve you," I murmur against her lips pulling away to kiss her forehead. I would never believe I had such luck, I wasn't a lucky person, good things just didn't happen to me... but I guess now the truth was that I had something good twice, and lost it, couldn't remember it either.

.

.

.

Sitting across from all the Bradley's, the judge in his chambers speaking with Sawyer first, "Do you understand what's going on sweetheart?" Judge Williams questions. "Yes, Mom and dad had us, but Ma and Pops-" a small smile graced my lips. "They want us because they never said that we should go to Mom and Dad."

"Wow, you're a very bright girl," he complemented.

"Well I'm still going to make the final decision but I want to know from you, how you would feel about living with your Ma and Pops?" my heart stopped, I kept my face blank while inside I felt that my body was being thrown around the room like a rag doll.

"Will you tell Mom and Dad what I choose?" Sawyer asked in such a small voice.

"No, whatever we say here, I won't tell anyone..."

Silence for a while until Sawyer replies.

"I love mom and dad, but I love Ma and Pops too... and I like having Vivian, Ree and Morgan to play with all the times. I want — I wish that I could stay with Ma and Pops and maybe mom and dad, they can visit us a lot..." her voice wavers.

It hadn't been the first time I had heard that wish, Tristan had asked the same thing... since they knew we wouldn't be staying in New York, did I think that his 'mom and dad would move with us so that they could see them all the times.' At the time it took me off guard, the whole reason we wanted them to be with us was so that the children could be whom they are without fear of humans learning.

When it's Tristan's turn, "I want to go where Sawyer is, we've never ever been apart! I don't mind living with Ma and Pops, or Myles... but you'll keep us together right? You won't make me stay and let Sawyer go with them? Right?" the vulnerability in his voice wrecking me inside.

"No, whatever I decide, I'm keeping you and Sawyer together young man," Williams comforted him, speaking to Myles and Vivian next together.

"So you two... do you like having an older brother and sister?" no answer is given so I guess that the twins just nodded their heads. "Sawyer is so cool, she likes to play tea party with me too! And she doesn't break my cups like Ree and Morgan eat-er."

"That's good... do you mind sharing your mom and dad with them?"

"We share them with Ree and Morgan — isn't that the same?" Myles asks and I can hear the confusion in his voice.

"We don't mind sharing — now — now when Sawyer sleeps with us — we share my bed because — cause we love to do that," Vivian gushes. Relaxing I knew this was only a show, but I was pleased with the answers that the kids gave, especially since Etta worried that Sawyer and Tristan might feel like we didn't love them as much as the others, or that Myles and Vivian could feel the same way as well.

Leaving his chambers, and into the room Williams kept his poker face up, "I've spoken with Sawyer and Tristan, as well as your other children," he nods at Etta and I. "I've also read over the notes that the social worker assigned to the case has given me, and in her findings, she believes that Sawyer and Tristan are well aware of what is going on in this situation."

From the corner of my eye I see Donovan take hold of Katherine's and her mother, place one hand on her shoulder in support.

"They've easily warmed up to their biological parents, as well as their siblings... have either sides here, have you been able to come to any sort of agreement?" William's questions.

"Your honor, my clients want physical custody of Sawyer and Tristan and are willing to offer visitation to Mr. Morgan and Ms. Phillips," Margo replies.

"Willing to offer visitation to children that were robbed from them Mrs. Scott?" the Judge asks but not giving her time to reply he pushed through.

"First I'm reinstating all your parental rights to Sawyer and Tristan, Mr. Morgan, and Ms. Phillips. Second, I'm awarding sole physical custody to the biological parents."

My shoulders deflate, and the death grip Etta has on my hands eases, "Mr and Mrs. Bradley, I know nothing I say right now, following my decision will ease the pain you're feeling right now, but it is in my highest opinion that Sawyer and Tristan be returned to their parents. In times like this, your lawyer, should have already warned that the court will side with biological parents unless you can provide evidence that they would be negligent or deemed unfit to be parents." I couldn't truly celebrate, I had my children, they would be coming home with us, but that didn't mean the love that they had for the Bradley's would vanish or disappear. It wouldn't be that way...

"I have records showing Ms. Phillips calling to step up meetings with you, numerous times," I smiled at Etta and her peace seeking behavior. "The truth of the matter is that, for Sawyer and Tristan she has tried to keep an open place for you in Sawyer and Tristan's life... she may have them now, but those seven years she missed, only you held the key."

"While the biological parents have tried to involve you in the steps as they bond with the children, calling you and inviting you to day trips they have taken, you refused which makes me believe that if given custody of those two children, you would not include their biological parents in their life as they have tried with you. This case is now closed," Williams finished.

"You said that we shouldn't meet with them Margo," Katherine sobbed, the whole courtroom tense. Standing I waited for Etta to join next to me, "You-" Katherine turns to me.

"Don't even say it," I snap before she can finish her sentence, "This isn't our fault, the only two people to blame here, are six feet underground."

"Since I have no business in New York any longer, Etta the kids and I are leaving tomorrow afternoon-"

"Their birthday is in two weeks..." Katherine says pained, "You — you can't possibly be uprooting them this quickly," her face horrified.

"Yes, their birthday is on August 20th, but they're starting school that following Monday at new schools... they're rooms need to be prepared and we want a routine down for all our children."

"Where are you taking them?" Katherine asked.

"While I have many endeavors... my chemical engineering Company, as well as hotel resort in Dominica, that is where I call home and have for the past five years. When I need to travel I do so, but that is where we are raising our children-"

"You're not — you're not going to raise them in the — across the ocean?" she stammered, the rest of the Bradley's wide-eyed.

"I'm not exactly sure I'd call it across the ocean," Etta said. "I've tried reaching out to you Katherine, mother to mother, the children might love me, but they love you as well... instead of working with us, you put this space between us as though we were wrong for wanting our children with us... You've been nothing but selfish, you call yourself a parent... did it ever just once cross your mind how Tristan and Sawyer — not you — would feel if Reese and I hadn't fought for them? Wanted them back with us? We have Ree, Morgan, Myles and Vivian... how do you think they would've eventually felt that we just left them with you? Would they feel that they weren't good enough to keep? That we never wanted them? That our other children were in some way better than they were?"  

I can see on their faces that it never once crossed their minds, "You've loved them for seven years, all of you, but our life isn't in New York, we can't just pick up and move to New York, we have responsibilities back home... family that need to get the chance to meet them as well..." the bailiff walked over, ready to escort them out, before our children were brought to us.

"Like I said, we are leaving tomorrow-"

"Can we visit them?" Katherine begged her eyes frantic.

I glanced at Etta, "We can fly you all out for their birthday, but we are asking that you give us some time to get them accustomed to their life. Later tonight, if there are things you believe that Sawyer and Tristan would like to have with them, I've sent someone to gather them," I added as they all walked out a broken family.

"So... we are staying with you forever now?" Sawyer asked once more getting confirmation, "Yes, you'll see your mom and dad again, you can call them at anytime Sawyer, you as well Tristan, but you are going to live full time with Etta, Ree, Morgan, Myles and Vivian."  We weren't cruel, we wouldn't just cut the Bradley's out of their life but right now, we needed to work out our new dynamic.

______________

So... we have clues here as to what the Elders are doing... to what the drugs they gave Kieran and the others...

© 2016 roxann_season All Rights Reserved

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

74.1K 4.5K 89
The story I'm going to tell you may starts a bit different than usual. It starts with a dead person. The poor boys heart just stopped beating. And at...
72 0 1
Protecting the dreamers has become normal to Chance in the two years since he learned the truth about what he was. Then the dreams happen, and his no...
13.7K 630 11
Whenever I read books or watch some movies or tv shows, I always say that the MC should have done it differently then whatever they faced would've en...
1.1M 36.6K 69
How would you feel when the world you grew up in crashed and burned? What if you were tossed into one that was all about survival? Would you persever...