When Paths Cross βš”οΈ (A Miracu...

By lazywriter8

Marinette wants Adrien to be happy. So when the model gets in a new relationship with his fencing partner, K... More

When Paths Cross
1. If He's Happy, She's Happy
2. Late to The Double Date
3. Last Minute Band Practice
4. Silencer 2
5. Matching Charms
6. Lovesick
7. Charity Gala- Part 1
8. Charity Gala- Part 2
9. Sightseeing
10. Cheeky Goodbyes
11. Both Sides
12. Ultimatum
14. Marinette's Song
15. Love Situations
16. A Birthday Girl and Her Sad Cat
17. Red Roses and Empty Sidewalks
18. Meant To Be, or Not Meant To Be
19. Always
20. The Same Path
Other Stories

13. Confessions

74 5 4
By lazywriter8

The Next Day

"Tikki, spots off."

Marinette peeks her head out of the alley and looks both ways before she steps out. She hands her kwami a macaroon and starts walking in the direction towards school.

There was, yet, another akuma attack around six a.m. before school, so Marinette didn't have time to get ready. So, here she was, going to school in her pajamas. She thought about stopping at home to change, but if she got one more late tardy, she'd spend her weekend in detention.

"This is so embarrassing, Tikki," She whispers to her purse. "I can't believe I'm going to school in my pajamas!"

"Don't you have some gym clothes in your locker?"

"Gross and sweaty gym clothes, you mean? I'd rather stay in what I have on."

Her kwami sighed. "Your choice, Marinette."

The wind nips at her bare shoulders and she hugs herself. Soon enough, the school building comes into view and she checks her phone. For once, she's actually on time.

As Marinette crosses the street and heads up the front steps, two reporters jump out in front of her, shoving a microphone and a camera in her face. "Oh! Ah, where did you guys come from?!" She screams as she trips over her shoe and loses her balance, falling back, and she lands on her side against the bottom step.

"Marinette Dupain-Cheng, is it true that you and Adrien Agreste are an item now?!" The invasive reporter shouts as she moves the microphone closer.

Her eyes widen. "What?! No! Adrien and Kagami are—"

"Adrien Agreste and Kagami Tsurgi have broken up! It's all over the news!"

They broke up?! "W-What are you talking about?"

"Fans speculate that you're the cause of their separation, after that photo of you and Adrien kissing went viral! Can you confirm?"

Marinette steps back. She didn't need this invasion of privacy right now. "I-I have no comment. I need to get to school—"

"With Kagami out of the way, you and Adrien have a chance to become Paris' new sweethearts!"

"I have a boyfriend, and his name is Luka Couffaine!" Marinette shouts, glaring at the camera. "Now leave me alone!"

"Hey, I'm not done yet!" The reporter shouts as she chases after the girl. "This is for my exclusive interview." She leaps forward and grabs her wrist, digging her fingers into her skin.

Marinette tries to shove her arm back, but it doesn't budge. "Let go of me!"

"I need my interview!"

Cat Noir drops down and extends his staff out, pushing the reporter a few feet back. He takes a protective stance in front of Marinette. "I believe the lady said she was done!"

"Cat Noir..." Marinette whispers, happy to see him, even though she had a few minutes ago.

Her partner was still transformed because he was being chased my fans, and he couldn't risk revealing his secret identity. Funny how he has fans as a model and superhero.

"Now take your camera and get out of here before I do some real damage," The hero threatens as he raises his hand.

The reporter glares at him and puffs. "Fine, I got enough, anyway, and even more for another exclusive: Cat Noir terrorizes innocent civilians! Let's go, Toby," She tells her cameraman.

Cat Noir faces her. "Are you okay, Marinette?" He asks, and notices her rubbing her wrist where the reporter grabbed her. It was throbbing in pain. His hand tightens around his baton and it takes everything in him to not turn around and chuck it at the reporter. "How's your wrist?"

"I'm fine, really," She whispers, staring up at her partner. "Uh, thank you, by the way. I don't even know where that reporter came from."

"What was she bothering you about?"

"Apparently Adrien Agreste and his girlfriend broke up."

Cat Noir's eyes widen. How did the news get out so fast?! It only happened yesterday! "Oh, you mean that famous model on every single billboard ad?" He asks sarcastically. "But wait, I thought you and Adrien Agreste were dating." He had no idea why he said that, but he did.

Marinette shook her head. "No, I'm with someone else... but they think I'm the reason Adrien and Kagami broke up."

"Who does?"

"That reporter, fans, everyone in Paris! Ever since that photo of us went viral, I haven't known a moment's peace, and now they're blaming me for their breakup."

Cat Noir grabs her hand. "Trust me, it wasn't your fault, Marinette." He looks her up and down and finally notices what she's wearing. "Umm, why are you still in your pajamas?"

Marinette's eyes widen. "Oh no! I'm gonna be late!" She takes off running and spins around fast. "Thank you again, Cat Noir!"

"Always here to help, Princess!" He calls back, raising his hand to salute her.

She smiles and walks into school.

Cat Noir looks around for a place to transform and ducks down by the side of the staircase. "Claws in." He peeks his head out and jumps up and rushes into school.

"I see what you're doing," Plagg whispers to him as his holder runs to class.

"What are you talking about?"

"You know damn well that Marinette and Luka are dating," The kwami reminds him. "So why did you suggest she and you were?"

Adrien fights back a smile. He was only teasing, of course, but he wanted to plant the idea of them dating into her head. You know, just in case anything should happen between Marinette and Luka.

As the model walks into the classroom, the film goes silent, all eyes on him. All anyone can talk about is his breakup with Kagami.

Adrien drops his school bag by his desk and after another awkward moment, his classmates go back to their conversations. He looks at Marinette at her desk, cowering down as she tries to hide herself. She's still embarrassed she's in her pajamas. "Here, Mari." He shakes off his jacket and rests it over her shoulders.

Marinette smiles. "Thanks, Adrien." She pushes her arms through the sleeves and holds his jacket tight against her. It smells just like him...

***

Marinette finds Adrien in the locker room after school. He's sitting on the bench, head low as he stares at his shoes. All day people had been asking questions and making comments and jokes about his breakup with Kagami.

Kim joked and asked for "permission" to pursue Kagami, which Adrien answered honestly, and told him that she'd roundhouse kick in his face if he even suggested that idea to her.

Max brought up statistics and said that Adrien and Kagami had an eighty-three percent chance of failure from the start, and less than a one-percent chance of falling in love and getting married.

Chloe was just glad Adrien was finally single again.

Marinette sits down beside Adrien and hands him his jacket. "Here. Thank you for letting me borrow it."

"No problem, Mari." He slips his jacket back on.

"I'm sorry about your break up," She whispers, and she had been the first person all day to say that. Everyone else was making jokes and insincere remarks while she was being genuine. "I feel... partly responsible."

"Why do you say that?"

"Because of what happened outside my bakery."

Adrien looks over and says, "That's not the reason we broke up."

"It's not?"

"Kagami made me choose... between you and her."

"Oh..." Marinette looks at her hands. "And you chose me?"

"I couldn't lose you. You're one of the most important people in my life."

She frowns. "But Kagami was your girlfriend. Was she not as important as I am?"

"It's... complicated. My feelings are so confusing right now."

Marinette's phone beeps with a text.

To: Marinette
From: Luka
3:48PM
Surprise, I'm here to pick you up. You and I are going on a date :) are you still at school or at your house already?

Marinette stands up. "Luka's here for me. I should get going now."

"Wait, Mari..." Adrien grabs her hand and pulls himself up to face her. "Kagami... she told me that you... used to have feelings for me. Is that true?"

Embarrassed with a blush, she whispers, "Yes, I did... a while ago."

He grabs her other hand, smiling. "Marinette, I'm in love with you," He admits without warning, without a speech, without anything prepared. "I haven't stopped thinking about you."

"Adrien..." Marinette pulls her hands back. "What are you doing?!"

"I know what I want you, and I want you."

How can Adrien say these things to me now?! Why now, of all days? "I'm with Luka now," She reminds him. "And you had your chance."

"I didn't even know I had a chance!" Adrien tells her. "I never knew you liked me like that."

"It was pretty obvious," Marinette whispers, thinking back on all the times she stuttered, tripped, and got flustered in his presence. "You should've seen the signs, Adrien."

I didn't see them, Marinette.

"I'll see you later, Adrien," She whispers as she rushes out of the locker room. Her eyes are wide, her heart is beating fast, her ears are ringing loud with every single thought imaginable.

Adrien is in love with me?!

***

At the houseboat, Marinette leans against Luka's side on his bed, quiet. She couldn't get what Adrien said out of head.

He's in love with her.

A year ago, she'd be ecstatic to hear that. That's all she ever wanted, but she loves Luka now, and he loves her. He has never been confused about his feelings for her.

From the beginning, Luka never had mixed feelings and was always clear about how he felt. He makes her feel comfortable and safe and at peace. Marinette loves him.

Besides, Adrien and Kagami have only been broken up for a day. How could the model know for sure he's in love with the baker's daughter? Unless he's been in love with her for a while now, even while he was dating someone else.

Marinette couldn't lie that knowing Adrien loves her back didn't make her heart race, and even now, hours later after his confession, he's all the poor girl can think about.

"Mari..." Luka pokes her side. "What are you thinking about?"

"Uh..." She shakes her head, embarrassed, and says, "Nothing important."

(A/N: I have to write a song for the next chapter, send help 😩🙏🏻)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

138K 4.6K 60
DORBYN COMPLETED daniel was the new kid. he had just recently moved to san francisco from portland oregon. two boys in his grade immediately befriend...
45K 1.7K 34
[COMPLETE] Eddie & Le have been friends for well over a decade. Best friends, in fact. However, like all things, feelings change and Eddie's feelings...
29.6K 903 17
Y/N, otherwise known as Xiao's sibling, transfered to Teyvat Highschool. Where she encounters loads of interesting and possibly even concerning schoo...
177K 8.3K 30
jennie bullies jisoo mostly out of boredome. at least that's what jisoo and the people around them think. they think that jennie is cruel and spitefu...