A Wicked Game [The Crown Saga...

By ToriRHayes

The pursuit for the Golden Crown continues but being the strongest academy representative is no longer enough... More

Veiled
Abyss of Red
Surfaces of Ice
A Warrior's Struggle
Toxic Dispute
Adeena's Garden
Tale of the Evergreens
Path of Stars
A Dragon's Breath
Rising Sun
Shadow of a Feather
Beyond a Home
A Whisper of Guidance
Streets of the Elite
Trial of Hearts
Cold Rejection
A Thousand Worlds
A Hollow Kiss
Ethereal Melodies
A Crack of Truth
Ruin
House of the Wave
A Golden Romance
Soul of the Inferno
No Rest for the Wicked
Symphonies of Dawn
Cursed Confessions
The Wandering Mountains
Poisonous Haze
Templars of the Mist
Pure Healer
Broken Promises
Cadoc's Favourite
Turbulent Emotions
Blazing Soul
Alia's Bargain
The Final Trial
Race of the Lotus - Part I
Race of the Lotus - Part II
The Crown
Paintings of Gold
The Awakening

An Air Wielder's Arsenal

3.6K 164 27
By ToriRHayes

"Where is your mind today, Willow?" Art asked, sending me to the floor with a breeze that shouldn't even have been able to throw me off balance.

"I'm sorry, Art," I said, reaching out to reclaim my staff. "I just— I don't know."

It had already been a few days since Caiden's confession in the Battle Arena. I'd been doing my best to avoid him, unsure how to confront him without thinking about his touch. He probably had a few reasonable questions for me too.

I hadn't been able to concentrate since, always thinking of that moment I rejected his kiss. I could still remember his warmth and how cold I'd felt afterward—how cold I still felt.

Art sighed. "I know you're not obligated to talk to me about what happens outside these walls, but if you need someone to talk to that isn't involved with the Crown Trials the same way your friends are, I won't mind lending you an ear," he said, offering me his hand to help me up.

Art had become more than simply a master to me; he'd become like a second father, but that didn't make it any less difficult for me to discuss these problems with him. He'd always be there for me—despite my flaws and mistakes—but Caiden was his nephew, and so was Tarkan. I couldn't possibly imagine what reaction my troubles would provoke.

"Thanks, Art," I said as he pulled me to my feet, "but I have to figure this out on my own."

I smiled to reassure him that everything was fine, fully knowing nothing was.

I'd known from the moment I stepped inside his studio this morning that Tarkan had been right. Informing Art of Tarkan's wicked schemes would undoubtedly complicate my training. I didn't need my master to go easy on me; in fact, I needed him to push me further beyond my limits so I could master my element and leave this cursed place as soon as possible.

"If that is your decision, I will not push you to reveal whatever may be bothering you. However, you know where to find me nonetheless," he said, twirling his staff in his hand to get a sense of its balance. "Clear your mind, Willow. This is your sanctuary from the Crown Trials, and I expect you to treat it so."

I stopped knocking the end of my staff against the floor to consider Art's words.

This place had been my sanctuary since the day Miss Naoise brought me here—the only place where I'd been able to focus solely on myself. Caiden had no place in here, and neither did Tarkan.

I sighed, drilling my nails into the skin of my palm as I squeezed my hand into a fist. The blood from my veins stained my nails, but the pain felt liberating.

My goal had been to gain control of my powers from the moment I was told to be part of this royal competition. That goal hadn't changed just because I could no longer make heads or tails of my emotions.

"I know," I admitted, turning back to face the old man. "We've come this far, and I'm not leaving until I've mastered every branch of my powers!"

Art observed my determined attitude with a smile as I challenged him to a rematch.

"Good. Then let's get started."

***

Salty drops of sweat poured down my cheeks, my brow glistening in the dim light.

Art hadn't been fighting me for hours, but he didn't appear weakened in any way. On the contrary, I could barely see a bead of sweat smudge his brow.

I gritted my teeth. Art was mocking me. He'd barely used more than one hand to fend off my attacks. No wind had emerged by his command either, yet I hadn't even come close to striking any of his weak spots.

My body was exhausted, my legs trembling so hard I could barely stand. I only had enough energy left for one final trick. I'll be left defenseless after that for the rest of the day.

I analyzed my opponent, searching for any flaws in his defense that he may have neglected to account for in the heat of battle.

The surface of his appearance hardly showed any signs of fatigue, but I did notice that his stance no longer looked as exemplary as usual. It wasn't much, but it was all I had. I could only hope that this minor imperfection meant that other hidden flaws would surface when I attacked.

I swallowed another breath before fastening the staff onto my back. It would only be in the way, but I'd need it later.

"Are you sure that's how you want to proceed?" Art said, undoubtedly to make me second-guess my own strategy, but I'd been fooled far too many times before to fall for it again.

Art had kindly rearranged a section of his studio to match Master Cadoc's obstacle field, offering me a chance to become more familiar with the environment and perform better in class. That may pay off now.

Using the pedestal behind me, I leaped, guiding my body to soar through the air above Art's head, aiming to land behind him.

"You're making this too easy, Will," he laughed, his eyes following my every trajectory as if I moved in slow motion. "I thought I told you to try your hardest."

I failed to suppress the smile hooking the corner of my lips. Art thought he had me figured out, so painfully sure of himself that he dared ease his guard. However, I was only getting started.

I summoned a gentle wind, influencing it to push me a few inches to the side, so I landed a little further to his right than initially intended. Art's jaw went slack, surprise furrowing his brow. He hadn't foreseen that move, making my next move as predictable as the last.

Art turned to counter my attack, preparing for various potential defenses. The window became smaller by the second. I had to act now.

I jumped again before Art could turn and complete his move, this time flipping sideways above his head. I reached for my staff, readjusting it to fit comfortably in both hands to achieve the needed stability. Once I landed, I launched an attack from below.

The air stirred up dust and ash from the fireplace, clouding my surroundings and blinding me. I'd hit something with the end of my staff, but I couldn't see what.

Art could've moved or teleported, switching his body with a rock or a table. However, I couldn't be sure until the air cleared, and I refused to doubt myself again. I stood my ground.

I sucked in a breath when Art's silhouette emerged through the dust. He hadn't moved. I'd hit him. I'd—

My breath hitched. My staff hadn't hit his body. Art had caught it between his palms.

A smile formed on my twitching face. I may not have hit him directly, but I'd forced him to use both hands. I'd never done that before, so although I hadn't defeated him, I'd still won.

Art smiled, too, so the rush making my blood pump faster wasn't entirely undeserved.

"You're ready," Art said.

I fell back the moment he let go of my staff, my legs no longer able to support me. "Ready— Read for... what?" I said, panting breathlessly. My lungs hurt, my muscles aching so bad I feared I'd torn the fibers.

Part of me expected another riddle to roll past his proud tongue, but I could hardly make myself roll my eyes at this point. All I really wanted was to lay back and close them, allowing my body to recover.

"To go with me to the Wandering Mountains."

My eyes flashed open, a new wave of energy suddenly surging through my otherwise fatigued body. "What?" I said, twisting my head to check why he would lie about something as serious as the Wandering Mountains.

I'd always wanted to see that place with my own eyes. The stories I'd heard on the streets of the Golden Realm and from adventurers joining one of the rare markets in the Bronze districts made it sound like a scene taken straight out of a fairy tale.

They were once part of the Mist Region. However, thousands of years ago, gravity abruptly weakened in one province and separated vast sections of their land from the rest, leaving mountains to wander aimlessly through the air.

Some people believed it was the work of the ancient dragons—a desperate attempt from them to create a home only a few people could access. Others believed it was a consequence of the Pavo Effect.

Dragons no longer existed, so we had no means of knowing if any of the theories were true. Even so, it was a sight not many got to see.

The Templars and their apprentices now resided there and had done so for many centuries. Only people who knew them or had invitations were allowed within the borders of the Wandering Mountains—people like Art.

"Art," I said, raising my trembling hand to point my staff at him. A threat may not be wise in my condition, but I couldn't allow him to joke so casually about something so important to me. "Don't play around saying stuff like that."

Art chuckled, grabbing the end of my staff to wrench it from my hands. "It's nice to know that you have faith in me, Willow," he said, turning to approach the other end of his studio that still lay untouched by our battle.

I took a deep breath, pushing myself to my feet to follow him on my shaky legs.

"Sit," he said, pulling out a chair for me to sink into. I didn't argue, sighing in relief as I merged with the comfortable wood.

"When?" I asked, exhaling the word.

Art snorted. "Impatient brat," he whispered, chuckling faintly as he continued past me to a table covered by a tablecloth drenched by the same Bordeaux color as the drapes hanging from the ceilings.

I smiled but chuckling hurt.

"You must understand, Willow," Art said, sighing as he placed a hand on the table. "We're not going to the Wandering Mountains to view the incredible sights. This journey will be part of your training, so I expect you to behave professionally once we arrive."

As if I'd dare behave any differently in a place where a single misstep could be the difference between life and a dreadful death. I didn't mutter any of that but merely nodded to express what my lips refused to speak.

Art nodded. "Good. Then let us proceed." He grabbed the tablecloth and ripped it off with a lurch.

I stood up, forcing my wobbly knees to stand straight as I marveled over the creation behind the glass: every soft contour, every carving, and every humble mechanism.

The board's design was relatively modest; no distinctive colors dazzled it, but the two circular eyes at each end of the board unveiled its true purpose. I could hardly contain my excitement.

"Is that what I think it is?" I asked, pressing my fingertips against the rotating plates in the center of each hole to assess the mechanism when Art removed the glass case protecting it.

The gadget didn't look identical to the one Art hid behind the hanging drapes, but the main components were unmistakable.

"The Caeli Board is an essential tool for every Air Iridis to master," Art explained, leaning over the table. "It is the tool we utilize to travel short distances and an essential weapon for us in battle. Like your training staff, this board is a simplified version of the real tool, allowing you to develop a feel for the instrument without being overwhelmed by its full potential."

I took a deep breath, feeling as if my mind was at war with itself. I felt both ecstatic and nervous, unsure of the right response to this incredible opportunity.

"You want me to fly?" I whispered, requiring confirmation from him before I dared believe it.

He nodded, and I felt another surge of goosebumps rise across my exposed skin. "I believe it's time for you to understand the full extent of an Air Iridis' arsenal. Starting tomorrow."

***

I hardly slept that night.

My frantic mind woke every hour, worried I'd missed the alarm I'd set and overslept until the moment finally came.

For the first time since my arrival at the palace, I would have an entire day without the Crown Trials breathing down my neck—a day free of lectures, cameras, guardians, and a day without Caiden.

I jumped out of bed to grab the uniform Faye had left on my vanity table last night. I slipped into the catsuit without much trouble, but it required a few attempts to hit the cuts in the flexible slack pants meant for my feet. I stuffed the cuffs into my boots and wrapped my shirt tightly around my torso before fitting the fabric belt around my waist, adjusting it until the section of fabric reaching past my knees aligned with the center of my body.

I tightened the leather straps around my thighs and tucked the two Storm Fans into their holsters.

Faye had left a golden emblem with the symbol of the Air Iridis on the table beside my uniform. It contained a tracker in case I got lost in the wilderness. The thought shook me to my core.

The Wandering Mountains were no place for hesitant souls, especially when flying between the debris of broken rocks and enormous cliffs.

I took a deep breath and fastened the emblem to my belt. Art believed I was ready for this.

I arranged my hair into a decent braid and grabbed my bag and staff before storming out the door.

It took all the power I could muster not to summon a wind to carry me past the floors. I could already see my necklace glowing faintly, indicating that my powers were fighting restlessly to break through my defenses and take over.

"Where are you going in such a rush?

Sucking in a surprised breath, I spun on my heel, scarcely evading Caiden's startled frame as I carelessly rounded the corner without accounting for other restless souls wandering the halls so early in the morning.

"Sorry!" I shouted, refusing to stop running on his account. Today was not about him. "I'm already late."

"Late for what?" Caiden shouted. I didn't answer him.

Art generally kept Caiden informed about my training, but it appeared he'd opted not to tell Caiden about our trip to the Wandering Mountains. I dared not assume that the decision had been made at random.

Art stood outside, waiting inside another mechanical wonder that made my heart flutter—the Zephyr—the most advanced model in the field of flying cars.

The Wandering Mountains weren't accessible through the usual means. Only flying allowed us land-creatures to enter. I don't know what tricks I'd expected Art to pull, but this wasn't one of them.

"Where did you get this?" I asked, jumping into the car and instantly searching through every corner and pocket I could find.

Art chuckled. "Have you forgotten who I am, Miss Aldwyn?" he said, igniting the car. "The blood of our founder runs through my veins. I may not be the king, but being his brother includes advantages, too."

I smiled mischievously, seeing right through his proud act. "You did this for me, didn't you?" I said, excited to feel the vibrations of the growling motor through the soles of my shoes.

Art didn't answer me, but the subtle smile hiding in the corner of his lips wasn't invisible to my eyes. I decided not to comment on it, merely happy to know that Art had gone to such lengths for me.

"How far is it?" I asked instead, impatient to witness if reality could live up to my high expectations.

"Remember to keep your mind calm, Willow," Art said as the car lifted from the ground. "We cannot have you falling out there today."

We'd spent far too many hours together for him to effectively hide behind that mask in front of me. He may look calm and collected, but he couldn't fool me anymore. I could tell he was just as excited about this trip as I was.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 197 36
***{WATTYS 2022 SHORTLISTED}*** Jill Logan is plucked from everything she's come to care about, only this time, she's fallen into the hands of Princ...
46.6K 6.9K 104
||Wattys 2022 Shortlist|| "You've got several lines of destiny in you...whether you use your power for good or wicked is still blank." After narrowl...
225K 13.3K 36
[Wattys 2022 Shortlisted] [Wattys 2021 Shortlisted] The Crown Assassins rule the world's largest nation in a broken world where criminals sit on to...
437K 26.4K 41
|2022 WATTY'S SHORTLIST| HER WISH CAN SET HIM FREE. When college student Ella Carrington finds an ancient locket and a gorgeous man literally falls...