The Cursed Relic

By AvaFics

Since when did I start hating him? Since when did I start falling unto darkness? When they showed him their l... More

Note
Beginning
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Author's Note
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40

Chapter 34

1.7K 96 16
By AvaFics

~*~

Flipping up the kingdom calendar, Rosh wrote an 'x' mark on one of the boxes before putting down his quill. He looked at his desk, rows of different daily issues are arising in noble families.

Slowly, businesses, statuses and circumstances of the nobles started to deteriorate, this is one of the major events that happened in his past life.

The 'Pause'.

The wave that shooked the sturdy ground of Ainchleim.

It isn't at all related to the shortage of food, water or necessities. In political views, it is more of the sudden crack to the solitude of independent nobles. They are those families who stand by their names without much connections with lower statuses.

In Rosh's past life, both low and higher ranked nobles started experiencing the decadence of their businesses due to headline article influence.

Proofs, evidence, witnesses and other information on the illegal activities of businesses, either truth or not, were documented by an unknown source.

The reveal caused a ripple in the reputation of the nobles. Shops, stores and campaigns were stopped by the situation.

Many commoners expressed their dissatisfaction on the 'dirt' hiding behind the 'clean' image of the nobles.

The effect of the cause was large, similar to its name, the normal cycle of the kingdom's general entrepreneurship halted like a pause.

Aphen Marquissate is one of the affected families of the Pause. Their income from their businesses and financial savings lowered.

Rosh could barely remember what happened to them if not for his photographic memory, he simply was too foolish before to even care about other families. But, as far as he knows, the struggle of the Aphens greatly impacted the Razon duchy. It was what led Josh to take the upperhand and save them from going down.

''But..''

Even by the sudden change in the timelines of the event, Rosh had everything predicted. Not to mention, he is playing Permitus' game just until recently.

The Aphens wouldn't be able to handle the pressure of financial poverty, and they will resort to the risk of underground gambling.

It will surely ruin them, along with the Razons since they're affiliated with the Aphens, and bury their family below.

However...

''It's too early. Too early than it was supposed to be. What exactly changed?'' He asked himself.

Yes, he had done a lot of fleeing from his past character but not big changes. There shouldn't be any big events changing from before.

The Pause is something that helped Josh show his intellect and credibility of being the duchy's successor. Not only will he be deemed as a genius, nobles will also treat him as a savior.

Rosh can't let that happen.

As of now, although Josh is very smart, he is too young. They're just eight! He will think that he shouldn't interfere with the adult problems.

Besides, the crown prince Arthur, is also present. Another genius thorn on Josh's side. Rosh could roughly guess that if Josh didn't take the initiative to stop the Pause, then Arthur will surely be the one to move behind the scenes.

The crown prince is cunning enough to convince Josh to do some simple stuff while he does the big ones, and when the nobles find out who revived the usual cycle of their businesses, the prince will push all the credit to Josh and raise his reputation.

Doing this, with Josh on his side, Arthur's faction will gain more influence enough to seize the throne without worrying about threats.

''Wait...threats?''

An invisible light bulb popped up above his head.

Threats to the throne. That's it!

He just had to get someone who are in line to the throne, use them to become the king, and wipe out his obstacles indirectly! Or even if he spared some, he's gonna have to get rid of the prince and the Aphens at the very least.

That would make his plans go smoothly. If Josh doesn't have the prince behind his back, and his father lose his connections, his revenge will be a lot easier.

''Mwuahahaha...hahahaha..! Hahaha——''

''Young master?''

Amros, who saw that his master just tried to do the 'evil laugh', shaked uncontrollably in his void. Not because he was scared, but because he wanted to die of laughter.

That laugh was far from 'evil', it was forced yet...cute. Amros realized what he just thought and muttered under his breath, something with the words 'control yourself'.

''——E-ehem..ehem. Yes, Yves?''

Rosh turned around with a bright smile, if anyone sees his face, they'll start to imagine him surrounded by a bright light and flowers.

He noticed that she was even more careful when moving.

Yves just returned yesterday after the duke punished her for her past 'actions'. Rosh knew she was most likely whipped at the back for at least 20 times.

It is the law of the knights after all, a mistake means a punishment tenfold.

''Young master Josh wishes to invite you for a play date along with his highness the crown prince and lady Vesta, young master.''

Rosh have been playing 'friends' with his brother, the prince and the wench for days and it seemed he have gained much closure for them to act casually to each other. Though, the prince is still very cautious towards him.

''Of course, I can't turn down an invitation from my brother, can I? But Yves, do you mind asking my brother if I could invite some friends too?''

Yves blinked. ''What do you mean, young master?''

Rosh smiled happily.

''Since I became friends with his highness and Selina...'' He put on an emphasis on Selina's name. ''...I thought I should also introduce them to some guests.''

''Young master...guests?''

''Yes! My friends from before...Samuel, Enzo and Eveia.''

He could see Yves stiffen and her eyes darkened a bit before lowly muttered a yes and forced a smile.

Rosh licked his lips and smirked.

***

''...''

Seven children sat on their respective seats by the wide tea table. Josh continued smiling thinking it was an exciting thing to have both parties of friends together.

''Ehem. Alright, everyone, why don't we have our snacks?'' Arthur suggested.

''Sure, your highness/Yes, your highness.'' Rosh and Eveia answered simultaneously making them look at each other and have eye contact.

Eveia gave him a hard glare while Rosh just smiled sweetly, mock in his eyes. The girl's lips twitched.

'Aren't we a bit matching? Eveia.' His eyes messaged.

'Don't dream. I won't taint myself for something disgusting.' She translated back with her look.

Lightning and thunderclaps crackled between their eyes despite them giving all smiles.

Unfortunately, not everyone took it in the same manner. Samuel and Enzo knew of their 'love-hate' relationship (if they could even call it that) so they didn't really care too much, but Josh, Arthur and Selina might've had misunderstood.

For them, their interaction was far from their glares. In their eyes, flowers and butterflies were surrounding the two.

Arthur raised his eyebrow. Are they in such a relationship? On the other hand, Josh giggled. My brother have very good friends!

Selina furrowed her brows and felt a pang in her chest. She had seen how kind and polite Rosh is after days of interacting with him, he was her good friend and she feels warm when he is around. But...

What is this? Are they really just friends? Somehow, I only want Rosh's attention on me...

Rosh sensed Selina's stare and smile at her, she flinched and felt her heart jump a little before she smiled back.

Josh looked at Selina and offered her some snacks. ''Here, Selina, have some cookies.''

''Oh, thank you..Josh.'' She blushed, a bit embarrassed of her previous thoughts, and took one cookie.

The red eyed boy noticed the faint blush on her cheeks when Josh offered the girl food, he smirked slightly. As expected, Selina obviously likes Josh. He nodded and shrugged before giving his attention to the others.

''There are a lot of issues among the nobles these days.'' Arthur started the conversation, referring to the incoming 'pause' as Rosh explained before. Samuel nodded, agreeing. ''Yes, it seems that more problems have been arising these days. It's been quite a trouble for the adults.''

''My old man's been leeching off of his study because of so many leaves to take care of.'' Enzo said.

''Leaves?''

The other three, Josh, Arthur and Selina were confused of his choice of word. ''What did you mean by leaves?''

''I meant his work.''

''I think Enzo meant to say the papers his father needs to handle.'' Rosh explained, clearly knowing how humorous Enzo could be.

''Yes! You got it, Rosh. Papers are made from leaves, so 'leaves'!'' Enzo patted Rosh at the back and smiled at him cheekily. Eveia rolled her eyes at his childishness.

''Okay...anyways. Many of the aristocratic lines have been affected by the negative demands from the citizens. Don't you think a good solution is needed for this?'' Arthur asked suggestively.

Rosh narrowed his eyes and leaned back. His eyes traveled amongst the youngsters before going back to the prince.

''The royal brat seems to want to pull some attention, Master.'' Amros' voice rang through his head.

'The prince knew that these friends of mine are different from normal children. He wouldn't boldly bring up the topic of the Pause with a bunch of kids if he didn't.' Rosh thought.

''Uh well yes, that would be ideal but I don't think——'' The crown prince cutted Samuel off.

''—Exactly, sir Samuel. The adults aren't always the ones who could do anything. We are the future of the kingdom, it is an opportunity for us to show our worth.''

'Not really needed for an opportunistic b@stard like you.' Rosh thought mockingly before huffing under his breath, disregarding it. 'Well, what can I say? I'm just as opportunistic as he is.'

''That would most likely end up being discarded by the adults, your highness. We are children, after all.'' Rosh said.

''But we could at least try, can we not? And please, call me Arthur.''

''Of course, Arthur. I just wanted to say that we cannot guarantee the outcome of these ideas.'' Rosh said and sipped his tea before he added. ''Besides, it isn't like our help will be credible enough for the adults to accept.''

''No one would dare say something against the decision of the crowned prince.'' Arthur said hardly.

''But being the prince isn't really enough, is it? The council would use use the king card and coax his majesty the king to their side.'' Eveia absentmindedly said out loud.

''O-Oi! Eveia..!'' Enzo nervously whisper-shouted.

Arthur glared.

''Are you saying my father, his majesty the king, is just a king by name and only a puppet the council could easily overtake?!'' The prince grimaced and his eyes darkened. ''This is an insult to the royal family, lady Schneider. You could be executed for treason if you do not watch your mouth.''

''A-Arthur..'' Josh gulped as Selina nervously looked at them.

Rosh quietly sighed and sweatdropped at Eveia. The bratty b*tch really couldn't shut her mouth.

He's been trying so hard not to get on the prince's bad side, no matter how Rosh could easily kill the boy whenever he wants, Arthur is still a prince. He couldn't risk being found out by the kingdom.

''I deeply apologize on Eveia's stead, Arthu——your highness, she didn't mean it that way!'' Rosh almost begged, he's grossed out of himself as he heard his own tone. But, he can't let this happen or, not only Eveia, him too will be affected if someone heard that the royal family was insulted in the Razon Manor.

Meanwhile, Selina, again, misinterpret Rosh's action as defending Eveia. She could feel slight jealousy crawling out before shooking her head. She shouldn't think of such things.

''I-I apologize sincerely, your highness.'' Eveia lowered her head as she realized how easily the line she is hanging onto could snap.

Arthur took a deep breath and calmed down. ''I do not wish for this to repeat.''

''Y-yes, your highness the prince.''

''That aside, as I said, my words cannot be easily denied, even by the council.'' He emphasized.

''Your hi——I mean, Arthur, I still think this isn't a very good idea.''

''Pardon my discourtesy, your highness, but I agree with young ma——Rosh. I don't think the officials would even take us seriously, despite our statuses.'' Samuel stated.

''Is that so?'' Seeing that the tables were being turned, Arthur turned his attention to Josh and Selina instead. ''How about you two, what do you think of this?''

''H-uh? W-well, I...don't really know, Ar-Arthur.'' Selina said.

''Uh..'' Josh hesitated, not knowing if he would either support his friend or his brother. ''I'm-I'm not sure too..''

Arthur huffed and clicked his tongue, upset that he had lost an argument despite being a prince.

Rosh secretly smirked at him. Young, childish, and prideful. It wasn't wrong that Arthur is smart and very cunning, there is a great possibility that he is also planning to use Josh as a decoy in solving the Pause. He could even succeed in a great chance.

However, Arthur is arrogant because of his 'crown prince' title, he underestimates everything. And Rosh would use that to his advantage.

There is nothing more bitter than the taste of defeat.

Just like what he had always tasted before rebirth.

***

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

200K 6K 37
One look at her and he was obsessed with her from the childhood. He was 10 when he met her, she was just a newborn baby. She was his father's best...
782 33 23
//He had my hands pinned tightly above my head as I squirmed beneath him. The blade twisting between his fingers. He held it up to my throat. I was a...
373K 13.2K 49
❝Never mess with the Royals. You'll feel the flames of hell before you even get there.❞ Back then, I wasn't anyone special. I wasn't some hero who sa...
1.2K 48 43
My fingers slid down his frangible ribs, subconsciously counting each one. I stared upon his scrawny figure. My hatred had quickly turned into guilt...