The King's Artist

Por Tic_Tok

After being ignored for years by the small town she grew up in, Adelaide decides it's time to start fresh som... Más

Disclaimer
Prologue
Ch 1: Working Struggels
Ch 2: An Unlucky History
Ch 3: Adelaide and Arthur
Ch 4: A Rough Boat Ride to A Rougher Beginning
Ch 5: The Port City Arrival
Ch 6: Château des ducs de Bretagne
Ch 7: A Request for Asylum
Ch 8: Château de Suscinio
Ch 9: Dwindling Memorabilia
Ch 10: Painter's Block
Ch 11: A Little Bit of Guilt
Ch 12: The Differences to Perfection
Ch 13: The Raging Storm
Ch 14: Competitiveness
Ch 15: The Soldier Kayden
Ch 16: November 1476
Ch 17: A Revelation
Ch 18: The Rescue Team
Ch 19: A Distracted Mind
Ch 20: The Captured
Ch 21: A Simple Touch
Ch 22: A Hint
Ch 23: A Welcomed Return
Ch 24: A Person's True Nature
Ch 25: When a Relationship Changes
Ch 26: One Man's Perpetual Suffering
Ch 27: Discovering an Unrecognized Dream
Ch 28: Charity
Ch 29: A Friend?
Ch 30: Training
Ch 31: Reconciliation
Ch 32: Personalities
Ch 33: Informing the Help
Ch 34: Unawareness
Ch 35: Reaffirmation
Ch 36: A Troubling Girl
Ch 37: The Difference
Ch 38: Protectiveness
Ch 39: Relationships and Trust
Ch 40: Confidence
Ch 41: Amor Maria
Ch 42: The Earl of Pembroke
Ch 43: Decisions and Life
Ch 44: A New Start
Ch 45: Importance
Ch 46: To Sacrifice
Ch 47: April 1483
Ch 48: A New Adversary
Ch 49: To Turn 27
Ch 50: The Timeline
Ch 51: Princes in the Tower
Ch 52: Margaret Beaufort's Letter
Ch 53: A Sweet Kiss of Alcohol
Ch 54: A Wedding of Snow and Cakes
Ch 55: A Cold Night
Ch 56: Reims Cathedral
Ch 57: The Oath
Ch 58: Titulus Regius
Ch 59: The Half-Brother
Ch 60: Respect
Ch 61: Alms
Ch 62: The Tightness of Fear
Ch 63: A Hopeless Reminscent Thought
Ch 64: The Coalition
Ch 65: A Split Party
Ch 66: The Comfort of Another's Arms
Ch 67: The Dashing Escape
Ch 68: The Truth Will Set You Free
Ch 69: There's Love & Then There's Limerence
Ch 70: The French Court
Ch 71: Jean de Paris
Ch 72: Livres Tournois
Ch 73: Oh Delicious Irony
Ch 74: Truth from Drunken Lips
Ch 75: Nerium Oleander
Ch 76: A Forest of Sorrow
Ch 77: The Ache of Seasickness
Ch 79: The March
Ch 80: The Battle of Bosworth Field
Epilogue
Author's Note

Ch 78: The Landing

308 22 0
Por Tic_Tok

With fair winds, the thirty ships of Henry Tudor's army landed in native Wales on the 7th of August. Adelaide couldn't express her gratitude enough that the journey had only taken them a week. She was one of the first to disembark once the ropes and lines were secured. Several people jumped out of her way as she rushed down the docking ramp; Charity, baby Ben, and Roland hot on her heels. Adelaide could have kissed the ground once her feet met stone and the sea's swaying ceased. 

"Well, hopefully, this is the last time we venture across the channel," Charity laughed, patting Adelaide's shoulder as the latter fought to regain composure and breathe steadily. 

Adelaide didn't have the energy to muster a response. Her eyes simply trailed over the small port city of Mill Bay that resided on the northern side of Milford Haven. 

The town's people who Adelaide managed to spot were rather lackluster in their welcome. She hadn't necessarily been expecting a grand welcome, but their disinterest was somewhat shocking. She was grateful they weren't antagonistic at least but disappointment echoed in her chest that they weren't more enthusiastic. 

Adelaide and the others all knew that the people of this area disliked King Richard, but now it was evident that they weren't entirely sold on the idea of Henry as the king either. But, then again, she couldn't blame them. Since the War of the Roses began the Crown of England had swapped heads far too often for anyone to grow attached too quickly. She doubted anyone was going to feel secure with the monarchy until this war was over; until either the Yorkists or the Lancastrians were left standing. 

After Adelaide had regained her footing and the seasickness had faded, she headed back to the docks to assist the others in unloading the supplies. Charity led Roland to a nearby tavern to eat and rest. Once the horses were on the ground, stretched and watered, and the men rested and armored they were to march on Dale Castle that resided nearby. From what Adelaide understood, they would move to Haverfordwest in Pembrokeshire next, gradually making their way inland towards King Richard and his army. 

But first, they had to deal with Rhys ap Thomas, the Lieutenant of West Wales. 

"It would be most beneficial for us if he defected to our side," Jasper said later that day. 

He along with the rest of the inner circle occupied the captain's quarters of the ship they had sailed on. Adelaide had been unhappy about being on the water again, but at least they weren't moving. 

Henry nodded in agreement with his uncle's words and leaned over a large desk littered with paper; some maps, others correspondence letters. Kayden was positioned to his right and riffling through the pieces of parchment. Adelaide was certain he was searching for something of importance regarding Rhys, anything to determine the type of man he was. 

"If we can avoid fighting so early after our arrival, we should do so," Henry commented, sighing and leaning onto his hands. The candlelight flickered over his face ominously, making the lines of anxiety evident as worry needled into his brow and shoulders. 

While they spoke, members of their party filtered in and out. Anthony switched guard duty with Marcus as Theodore left to check on the men in the fields and inns. Having a group with mixed loyalties and origins was hazardous, so they were doing their best to keep them under control. So far they hadn't had to worry about inner-group conflict too greatly, though. The English and Welsh exiles kept together separate from the French mercenaries. As for the few Scots in their mists, they were manageable and blended with the others effortlessly.  

Henry continued discussing strategy with Jasper as Adelaide looked over document papers. There were a number of people from here to London that they would have to win over or fight, and the reality of their situation was overbearing. She wondered how Henry hadn't crumbled under the pressure yet. 

But as she looked at his side profile, it was clear he was feeling the stress. Anxiety rippled off him like heat and fear was evident in the shadows of his face. To anyone else, Henry would appear calm and collected, a man in control. But to Adelaide, who knew him better than anyone else, she saw the turmoil. Henry didn't know this land, these people. He wasn't familiar with war. He wasn't a strategic expert. He was just a young man with the hopes of a country laid upon his shoulders. 

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

21K 1.4K 47
A time in the upcoming future but in this story -- or rather in this universe, 30th century is the reverse of everything that happened in the past. A...
183K 10.2K 43
It has been over two centuries since the reign of King William and the banishment of the ladies' society,a society tasked with the protection of the...
30.4K 1.2K 41
500 years ago, a captivating tale began and continues to unfold. One person anxiously awaited the arrival of their beloved, while another found their...
19.1K 647 14
Princess Ariana has been in love with her best friend Coby since they were little children. The only problem is, he has always loved her as a sister...