๐—” ๐—Ÿ๐—ผ๐˜€๐˜ ๐—ฉ๐—ผ๐—ถ๐—ฐ๐—ฒ || Mer...

By linesantique

Meruem strives to reject his humanity, born with the premonition that he can never openly display emotion. Ma... More

Author Notes
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34

Chapter 17

350 19 11
By linesantique

*Upon exiting the throne room, Pouf walks through the corridors of the palace as he peeks through the windows. He inconspicuously searches for Mara, waiting for the most opportune moment to ambush her.*

Pouf

Pitou and Youpi are both occupied with guard duty... I need to make my way over to the gardens to see where she is...

*Pouf makes his way to a window overlooking the gardens. He spots Mara sitting under the gazebo meditating, not a soul near her.*

She's finally alone! Sure took long enough...

*Unwilling to miss this opportunity, Pouf hastily and carelessly flies out of the palace and towards the gardens. He is spotted by Pitou who occupied their usual post on the roof.*

Pitou

So he's finally made his move... that bastard! I shouldn't assume anything just yet... getting on his bad side would put me in an unfavorable position.

*Pouf lands in front of the gazebo, effortlessly hiding his presence. He contently smiles to find Mara deep in meditation. Before she has a chance to react to her surroundings, Pouf opens his wings and spreads his scales onto the girl. Hypnotized, Mara slumps over. Pouf rushes up to pick up the unconscious girl and turns around in a bid to make a quick escape. Before Pouf has a chance to take a step, he is blocked by Pitou standing in the entrance.*

Pitou

"Pouf... what do you think you're doing with her?"

Pouf

"Tch! I don't expect you to understand, it seems I'm the only one who cares about the King and his ultimate goal. This human is a hindrance to His Majesty and I'm disposing of her for the greater good!"

Pitou

"Do you have a screw lose!? Even Youpi, as oblivious as he is, can tell that the King has grown to care about this human. You're doing more harm than good trying to 'dispose' of her!"

Pouf

"It seems the human has corrupted you too! I suggest you step aside, I'm doing what's right and I'll do whatever it takes to dispose of her. Whether or not that means I have to get my hands dirty in the process is to be determined..."

*Pitou focuses their aura on Pouf, Pouf doing the same to Pitou. Their immense bloodlust clashes with each other, sending an unsettling chill throughout the estate. Soldiers and squadron leaders flock to the source of the malice, watching the two royal guards fight from a safe distance.*

Pitou

"I simply won't let harm befall her. The King cares about her, and I care about the King. Drop her Pouf!"

Pouf

"You fool! So be it!"

*Pouf forcefully throws Mara out of his hands, Pitou grimacing as they watch her body collide with ground. Mara lies bloodied and disheveled at the far end of the gazebo, scrapes and bruises littering her body.

Pitou angrily lunges at Pouf and he dodges effortlessly. The two begin fighting, Pitou trying their best to guide the havoc as far away from Mara as possible. Between the chatter of the surrounding crowd and the clash of aura between the two guards, Meruem grows increasingly annoyed. He angrily looks up from his gungi match, frustrated that he's lost his concentration.*

Meruem

"I'm leaving. This disturbance outside is annoying me. We'll continue later."

Komugi

"Yes sir!"

*Meruem leaves Komugi in the throne room and walks through the palace fuming. As he passes by a window, he sees Pitou and Pouf fighting with a couple other ants watching them from afar. He continues to survey the scene, his eyes falling on Mara's unconscious body in the gazebo.

For the first time in his life, Meruem feels fear coursing through his body.*

Meruem

Mara?...

*With a mixture of anger, concern, and unadulterated fear brewing inside of him, Meruem rushes outside, beelining to Mara. His emotions clouding his judgement, Meruem can't control his aura. His bloodlust explodes out of his body, the immense malice making the two royal guards freeze in their tracks.

The two guards look to see the King approaching them, both frozen mid-attack.*

"Would someone like to tell me what's going on here?! And more importantly, why Mara's unconscious body is in the garden?"

*The two guards regain their composure and bow, not daring to look up at their King.*

Pouf

"Sire! I've taken matters into my own hands to dispose of this human. She's become an incredible hinderance. Pitou is getting in my way of doing what's right!!"

Pitou

"You've lost your mind Pouf! What you're doing isn't right in the slightest!"

Pouf

"What would you know! You're a royal guard yet belittling yourself as much as to sympathize with a human!"

Meruem

"Silence both of you!! Pouf... are you implying that I'm belittling myself?"

Pouf

...

"No Sire, I wouldn't—."

*Meruem's tail makes harsh contact with Pouf's jaw, sending him flying past the gardens and into one of the walls surrounding the palace. Unbeknownst to anyone, Mara had awakened from her hypnosis and was limping her way over to Meruem with board in hand.

Pitou looks over the King's shoulder and takes notice to Mara's advance.*

Pitou

"Mara don't move, those cuts look deep!"

*Blinded by rage, Meruem does not acknowledge Pitou's statement and instead makes his way over to where Pouf lies. He doesn't notice Mara's approach until she had caught up with him, grabbing his shoulder for his attention. Meruem spins around, accidentally directing his bloodlust straight to Mara.

Unable to withstand his power, Mara's knees give out and she falls. Taking a good look at Mara, Meruem's rage is soon overtaken by his concern. Crouching down to her level, Meruem gently caresses Mara's face, pushing back her hair.*

Meruem

"Mara... did Pouf do this to you!?"

*Mara ignores his question and begins to write, hand shaking from the pain.*

Mara

Please... do not hurt Pouf anymore! Your use of obscene 'punishments' won't solve anything, it'll just brew more resentment towards me!

Meruem

"Don't try to stop me. Not after what he's done to you. You don't need to worry about resentment if I kill him right here and now..."

*Meruem retracts his hand from Mara and stands up, continuing his pursuit. In a pathetic attempt to catch up to him, Mara stands and runs in front of Meruem to block his path. Her eyes hold a look of conviction that makes Meruem falter. Behind Mara, Pouf approaches ready to attack.

In the span of a single second, Pouf lunges at Mara. Meruem doesn't hesitate to shield Mara, using his own body to protect her. Pouf's attack lands on Meruem, although it doesn't do much damage. Shocked at what he had done, Pouf steps back in shock, bowing deeply.*

Pouf

"My sincerest apologies Your Highness! I will repent in any way you deem necessary, but I need to kill that girl first!"

*Meruem tries to attack Pouf, but Mara keeps her hold on Meruem. Meruem lies on top of Mara, looking down to see her shaking her head 'no' furiously.

Exasperated, Meruem sits up, propping Mara up with him. Meruem makes sure to protect Mara as she writes.*

Mara

Pouf, why do you attack me? Have I wronged you that greatly?

Pouf

"You're a hinderance to the King that's why! He's supposed to rule above all others, but the fact that you're still alive is blasphemy!!"

Mara

Are you implying that you'd like to choose how the King lives his life?

*Mara gently pushes Meruem off of her, precariously standing up. Meruem follows suit, using his tail to support Mara's weak legs.*

Meruem

"Mara—"

*Mara snaps her head and looks at Meruem. For the first time, Meruem looks at Mara to see pure
anger written across her face. The unfamiliar look on her face silences him. Meruem quietly observes Mara write, Pitou watching on from her other side.*

Mara

I know well what you came to this palace for... to dominate us. To dominate the human race. Regardless of this reasoning I could never condone, to be born with a predetermined purpose is one of the largest burdens one can carry. On paper, being the 'ruler of the world' looks great... but what then?

If you step on everyone you deem beneath you, using fear as a tool to command all... what do you do once you've succeeded?

Pouf

"Rule over everyone of course!"

Mara

With who by your side? Using fear as a mechanism to rule will only make people despise you, despite their putting up a facade. Even those closest to you wouldn't act naturally... imagine how isolating that is! Sooner or later, even the greatest ruler to ever be will succumb to the same loneliness and tedium that any 'mere human' experiences, probably even worse so!

Meruem

How can she know how I feel!? Even I can't accept these feelings inside of me... yet she blurts them to the world without second thought!?

Pouf

"What would you know?! You're just an ordinary human with no purpose in this world!"

Mara

What would I know? I was locked up in a tower for the majority of my life with no company but a pig-headed ruler. I was so lonely that I started considering plants my friend!

Pouf

"That's because you come from a weak-minded species!"

Meruem

"Pouf that's enough!"

*Mara turns to face the King to address him.*

Mara

You were reborn with no sense of who you are. But you now have the choice of discovering yourself- and how you'd like to rule- or you can blindly follow the path that's been laid out for you. It's your choice, no one else's.

*With her last statement, Mara shoots an accusatory glare at Pouf.*

Despite this, Pouf is trying to look out for you in his own messed up way, so please don't think he is trying to wrong you.

Pouf

"You stupid human! You're poisoning his mind!"

*Mara turns again, this time to face Pouf.*

Mara

I don't mean to be presumptuous, but I suggest you find your own calling. If you care so much about the King, you'd recognize him as his own being instead of trying to push your own ideals onto him. No 'royal guard' would ever be as brazen as to tell their King how to rule after all.

*Mara sheepishly turns back to Meruem.*

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to speak for you. I realize I've stepped out of line.

*Meruem is shocked to see Mara bow her head. Unwilling to have her submit to him too, Meruem sticks his thumb under her chin and lifts her head back up.*

Meruem

"You have, but you're also completely correct."

"Pouf, I don't intend to relinquish my position of power. That being said, how I rule is entirely my choice. If you so much as think about disrespecting my decisions again I won't hesitate to kill you."

"You can thank Mara for the fact I'm sparring your life right now. From this moment forward, you two are to recognize Mara as my Queen. She is immeasurably valuable in a multitude of ways and I won't hesitate to hand out repercussions to those who disobey my word!"

*To this comment, Mara blushes profusely, making Pitou laugh.*

"Pitou! What could you possibly find so amusing right now?"

Pitou

"I'm sorry Your Majesty... but you just inadvertently implied that you'd like Mara as your Queen and her reaction was priceless! It's quite ironic for a captive to rise in rank so quickly... I apologize for laughing."

*To this realization, Meruem's heart drops. He still hasn't been able to fully understand the concept of love, but he knows well enough the second meaning behind his words.*

Meruem

Mara said that a confession can ruin a relationship between people... is that what will happen to us?!

*Hesitantly, Meruem turns to face Mara. He stands antsy as he watches Mara write.*

Mara

Regardless of the meaning behind what you said, please don't treat me all high and mighty. Treat me as you'd treat a friend, that's truly all I could ask for.

*Mara smiles at Meruem, and then to Pitou and Pouf.*

Meruem

Just a friend?...

*Forced into submission, Pouf backs down and bows. Pitou follows suit. Mara turns to face Pouf as she writes.*

Mara

Pouf, I'm sorry you think I'm a hinderance, but try to think about what I mentioned earlier. That said, I will support the King how he desires and nothing more. What I do for him is his command, not mine.

Pouf

...

"I understand ma'am."

Mara

Don't try to be all formal with me now, you just tried to kill me. You might not consider me as such, but I reiterate please just treat me as you'd treat a friend.

*Beaming, Mara turns to Meruem and Pitou.*

Now, can we all agree to start fresh?

Pitou

I can't believe Mara was able to tame this situation so flawlessly... she holds the qualities of a true Queen.

"Mara, please let me tend to your w—."

*From the decrease in adrenaline, Mara's body feels a shock of pain that makes her pass out. Tail still wrapped around Mara, Meruem steadies her fall and picks her up. Pitou and Meruem return to Mara's room so Pitou could tend to her wounds in private. Before leaving, Meruem gives one last warning glare at Pouf.*

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

303 24 10
หšโ‚Šโ€ง๊’ฐแƒ โ™ฑ เป’๊’ฑ โ€งโ‚Šหš "Something is stirring deep underground... you need to get out of here." Words from a mysterious voice spoke. Although Yocelin has tho...
279K 8.2K 24
Kirahki Freecss is Gon's sister. Mito-san adopted her when she was just a baby. The only clue she has about her birth family is the fact that her eye...
45.8K 2K 31
y/n comes from a special village secluded from society. they're known for their special DNA; their blood and tears can heal any injury. they're also...
9.8K 387 25
-=-=- "I wish you loved me as I love you. But you're simply bound by the contract that binds us." Killua, the heir to the Zoldyck family of assassins...