Earth and Fire [Toph Beifong...

By JonahHex5

Suhara is a runaway prince of the Fire Nation, presumed dead by his family. He was taught fire bending at fi... More

Bio
South Pole Travels
The Boy in the Iceberg
The Avatar Returns
The Southern Air Temple
The Fortuneteller
The Waterbending Master
Siege of The North
The Swamp
The Blind Bandit
The Chase
The Library
The Desert
The Serpent's Pass
The Drill
City of Walls and Secrets
Tales of Ba Sing Se
The Earth King
The Guru
The Crossroads of Destiny
The Awakening
The Headband
Surprise
The Runaway
The Puppetmaster
Nightmares and Daydreams
The Day of Black Sun
Western Air Temple
Firebending Masters
Sozin's Comet

Lake Laogai

1.7K 35 4
By JonahHex5

Sokka was lying on his stomach, working intently on yet another sketch of Appa. A little bit away, Suhara sits on the floor, sketching in his notebook, while Toph lays her head on his chest, smiling. Katara and Aang rush in through the front door.

Katara: We found a printer to make our posters. (Holds up a poster with an expert rendition of Appa, and dense script, while Aang smiles and points to it)

Sokka: Hey, I thought designing "the lost Appa poster" was my job. I've been working all day on my Appa. (Holds up a crude drawing with a proud smile)

Aang: (Perplexed) Sokka, the arrow is on Appa's head. (Katara struggles to contain her laughter)

Sokka: (Pointing to the sketch) This is his head.

Katara: (Taking it to study up close) Why are feet coming out of it?

Sokka: (Snatching the sketch back indignantly) Those are his horns

Suhara: I was wondering why he had horns all over his body.

Sokka: (Hangs his head) I haven't seen him awhile okay?

Toph (Ironically) It looks just like him to me.

Sokka: (Flattered) Thank you, I worked really... (Realization sets in)Why do you feel the need to do that.

Katara: Let's just stick with the professional version.

Sokka: Grrrr! (Violently rips the drawing to tiny shreds)

Aang: (Enthusiastically) Come on, let's get busy! (Holds up two stacks of leaflets)

~ ~ ~

Katara and Sokka were playing a card game on the wooden table Toph lied on her back nearby, bouncing a small ball off of the wall. Suhara was sitting on a chair, reading a book. Aang and Momo burst through the front door. Both approach the table.

Aang: I just finished dropping all the leaflets. Has anyone come in with news about Appa?

Katara: (Studying her cards) It's only been a day, just be patient.

Aang settles to rest his chin on the table dejectedly. A moment later there was rapping on the front door.

Aang: (Popping up eagerly) Wow, you're right! Patience really pays off. (Rushes to open the door) Joo Dee?!

Joo Dee: (With her usual eerie grin and careful speech) Hello, Aang and Katara and Sokka and Suhara and Toph.

Sokka: What happened to you? Did the Dai Li throw you in jail?

Joo Dee: (Dismissively) What, jail? Of course not. The Dai Li are the protectors of our cultural heritage.

Toph: But you disappeared at the Earth King's party.

Joo Dee: Oh, I simply took a short vacation to Lake Laogai, out in the country. It was quite relaxing.

Katara: But then they replaced you with some other woman who also said her name was Joo Dee.

Joo Dee: I'm Joo Dee.

Aang: Why are you here?

Joo Dee: (Pulling out leaflet) Dropping flyers and putting up posters isn't permitted within the city. Not without proper clearance.

Sokka: (Annoyed) We can't wait around to get permission for everything.

Joo Dee: (Cheerfully grinning) You are forbidden by the rules of the city to continue putting up posters.

Aang: (Red-faced and steaming with frustration, shouting) WE DON'T CARE ABOUT THE RULES, AND WE'RE NOT ASKING PERMISSION!!! (Flailing his arms in an outrage, starting to back an alarmed Joo Dee out the front door) We're finding Appa on our own and you should just stay out of our way! (Slams door shut)

Sokka: (Thoughtfully) That might come back to bite us in the blubber.

Aang: (Glaring at the door) I don't care. From now on we do whatever it takes to find Appa.

Toph: (Raising arms in the air) YEAH! Let's break some rules!

Toph turns and blasts out the nearest wall with earth bending.

Suhara: Love your enthusiasm Blind Spot, but not what I had in mind.

Toph: Oh, sorry Hot Head.

~ ~ ~

Sokka brushes paste onto a stone wall and plaster up an Appa Poster. In a narrow alley, Katara, Suhara, and Aang were pasting more of them up. Toph was leaning against the wall with arms crossed, near Sokka. Momo perches above their heads.

Sokka: Well split up to cover more area. Toph, I guess you should just go with Suhara.

Toph: (Peevishly) Why? Because you think I can't put up posters on my own?

Grabbing his bush, she slashes glue across the wall, then slams a poster against it, face down.

Toph: (Dolefully) It's upside-down, isn't it? I'll just go with Suhara. (She then hands him back the brush, and they all split up)

Suhara and Toph walk towards the west area of the city.

Toph: It's all my fault. I'm the one who let them take Appa.

Suhara: It is nobody's fault. We needed information from that library, so we couldn't have been there to help you. You had to stop it from sinking. (Putting an arm around her shoulders in an attempt to cheer her up) My dad always says; Destiny always has a funny way of working things out. So I have a feeling Appa will be back with us in no time. (Scratching the back of his head) Y'know, I can't shake this feeling I'm gonna have to give some exposition soon.

They then hear yelling and rush in its direction. They meet up with Sokka and Aang as they see Katara pinning someone to a wall with her water bending.

Sokka: Katara, what is it?

Katara: Jet's back. We can't trust anything he says.

Sokka: But we don't even know why he's here.

Katara: (With a hostile tone) I don't care why he's here. Whatever the reason is, it can't be good.

Jet: I'm here to help you find Appa.

Still pinned to the wall, Jet then opens his hand to let a leaflet unroll.

Aang: (Turning to the leaflet back to Katara) Katara, we have to give him a chance.

Jet: (Earnestly) I swear, I've changed. I was a troubled person, and I let my anger get out of control. But I don't even have the gang now. I've put all that behind me.

Katara: (Bitterly) You're lying!

Toph pushed past Katara and she placed her palm on the wall close to Jet.

Toph: He's not lying

Sokka: How can you tell?

Toph: I can feel his breathing and heartbeat. When people lie, there is a physical reaction. He's telling the truth.

Toph, Suhara, Aang and Sokka turned to Katara.

Aang: (Beseechingly) Katara, we don't have any leads. If Jet says he can take us to Appa, we have to check it out.

Katar: (Shoulders sagging in resignation) Alright... (Suddenly stabbing a finger at Jet) But we're not letting you out of our sight.

Suhara: Well, I guess I should explain to you, Toph. So basically, on our way to the North Pole, we came across these tree people called; the Freedom Fighters. Jet was their leader, and they were trying to destroy the Fire Nation, like us.

Toph: So why does Katara hate him?

Suhara: Well, that's because of their methods. They were gonna destroy a town inhabited by the Fire Nation, and that would kill all the civilians inside. Luckily, Sokka and I were able to get everyone out and save them all, and all thanks to Sokka's paranoia.

Sokka: Hey, sometimes it pays to be paranoid.

~ ~ ~

They enter a dimly lit warehouse, which sits empty except for a few sacks and a pile of canvas and rope.

Jet: This is the place I heard about.

Aang: There's nothing here.

Katara: (Angrily) If this is a trap-

Jet: I told you, I work nearly! Two guys were talking about some giant furry creature they had. I figured it must be Appa.

Toph & Suhara: He was here!

Toph and Suhara have discovered a handful of white fur, and the others rush to their side.

Aang: (Stroking the clump of fur sadly) We missed him.

An old, white-haired man with a push-broom crosses behind the slumping Aang.

Janitor: They took that big thing yesterday. (Aang straightened with a shocked look) Shipped him out to some island. About time, I've been cleaning up fur and various... uh... leavings all day. (Begins walking off again)

Aang: (Frantically catching up with him) What island?! Where's Appa?!

Janitor: (Wearily) Foreman said some rich royal type on Whaletail Island bought him up, guess for a zoo or such, though could be the meat would be good.

Aang: (Anxiously) We've gotta get to Whaletail Island. (Turns to the others, where Sokka was reading a map) Where's Whaletail Island?

Sokka: (Glumly) Far.

Suhara: Very far.

Sokka: (Lays the map of the world on the floor, pointing) Here it is. It's near the South Pole almost all the way back home.

Everyone kneels around the map.

Katara: Aang, it'll take us weeks just to get to the tip of the Earth Kingdom. And then we'll need to find a boat to get to the island.

Aang: (Standing) I don't care. We have a chance to find Appa. We have to try.

Janitor: (Passing in the background) Must be nice to visit an island. I haven't had a vacation for years.

Katara: (Crossly) Don't you have some more hair to clean up?

Janitor: (Dismally) Shuffle on, I get ya. No more need for "old sweepy".

Katara: You're right Aang. (Placed her hand on his shoulder) Right now, our first concern has to be finding Appa. We can come back when we have him.

Sokka: (Setting off) All right, let's get moving.

Jet: (Stepping towards them) I'll come with you.

Katara: (Firmly) We don't need your help.

Jet: Why won't you trust me?

Katara: (Arms crossed) Gee, I wonder? (Turns and raises her head in a huff)

Toph: Was he your boyfriend or something?

Katara: (Startled) What? No! (Turns her head the other direction)

Toph: (Teasing) I can tell you're lyyyyying.

Katara then stomps off blushing.

Suhara: (Walking up beside Toph) The real answer isn't a "yes" or a "no", it more of a "kinda".

~ ~ ~

In the streets of Ba Sing Se, Jet walks beside the five heroes.

Sokka: We can take the train out to the wall, but then we'll have to walk.

Aang: (Cheerfully) Don't worry, on the way back, we'll be flying!

Toph: (With exaggerated relief) We're finally leaving Ba Sing Se. (Throwing her arms wide) Worst city ever!

As Toph starts to catch up with the others, we see Smellerbee and Longshot emerge from a side street in the distance. Both seem astonished to see Jet in the street.

Smellerbee: (Shouting) Jet!

Katara and Suhara turned in surprise, as Jet continues walking indifferently. She looks to Jet angrily.

Katara: (Accusingly) I thought you said you didn't have your gang anymore?

Jet: (Turns with a bewildered look) I don't.

Smellerbee throws herself against Jet, wrapping her arms around him with a look of relief.

Smellerbee: We were so worried. How did you get away from the Dai Li?

Katara: (Aghast) The Dai Li?!

Jet: I don't know what she's talking about.

Everyone stops and draws closer to Jet and Smellerbee.

Smellerbee: He got arrested by the Dai Li a couple of weeks ago. We saw them drag him away.

Jet: (Baffled) Why would I be arrested? I've been living peacefully in the city.

Toph: (Kneeling, with a palm on the street between them) This doesn't make any sense. They're both telling the truth.

Katara: That's impossible.

Sokka: (Thoughtfully) No, it's not. Toph can't tell who's lying because they both think they're telling the truth. Jet's been brainwashed. (Point at Jet accusingly)

Jet: (Distressed) That's crazy! It can't be. (Starts looking around in a panic) Stay away from me.

Everyone encircles Jet, and they begin to close in around him.

~ ~ ~

Inside an apartment, the Gang and the Freedom Fighters crowd together, regarding Jet suspiciously.

Katara: The Dai Li must have Jet to mislead us, and that janitor as part of their plot too.

Aang: (Looking to her) I bet they have Appa here in the city. Maybe he's in the same place they took Jet. (Turns back to Jet) Where did they take you?

Jet: (Befuddled) Nowhere. (Raises his head) I, I don't know what you're talking about.

Aang: We need to find a way to jog his real memories.

Sokka: (Provokingly) Maybe Katara could kiss him. That should bring something back.

Katara: (Annoyed) Maybe Katara could kiss him, Sokka.

Sokka: (Slyly) Hey, just an idea.

Aang: (Peeved) A bad one.

Sokka: Ooo, wait. I got it.

Sokka plucks a straw from his mattress, pokes it into Jet's mouth in trademark fashion, then regards him thoughtfully.

Jet: I don't think it's working. Puh! (Spits it onto the floor)

Toph: Try to think of something from your past that triggers your emotion.

Suhara: Like maybe something that you think about what your were fighting for.

Smellerbee: The Fire Nation, remember what they did to your family.

Katara: Close your eyes. Picture it.

Jet closes his eyes, and sweat beads on his forehead. A few seconds later, he opens his horror-struck eyes, then he droops for a while, exhausted.

Jet: (Shaken) No! It's too painful.

Katara: Maybe this will help.

Katara steps behind him, drawing out a portion of her bending water. She places the water and her hands to the sides of his head. Jet stares down at the shadow cast on the floor before him by the light of her energies.

Jet: (Tentatively) They took me to a headquarters under the water, like a lake.

Sokka: Wait! Remember what Joo Dee said? She said she went on vacation to Lake Laogai.

Jet: (Jumping to his feet) That's it! Lake Laogai.

~ ~ ~

The group now stands on the edge of the shore of Lake Laogai.

Sokka: So where's this secret headquarters?

Jet: (Scratching his head) Under the lake I think.

Toph: (Pointing to her right) There's a tunnel right there near the shore.

She walks in that direction, whistling. Reaching the water's edge Toph jumps up in an earthbending move, and a stone pathway rises to the surface. She walks along with it to a stone pathway that rises to the surface. She walks along it to a stone disc, which she bends aside. Everyone peers down into the dark shaft, and Momo flies away chittering nervously. From the depths of the shaft, we see a narrow ladder that leads up to the tiny circle of light where the heroes stand, far above. The assembled group cautiously descends a dark stairway to the main chamber.

Jet: (Leading the group) It's all starting to come back to me.

Jet edges quietly to a partially opened door, then moves on, followed by the others. As they peer inside in turn, they see rows of identically dressed women standing hypnotically before a Dai Li agent.

Dai Li Agent: I'm Joo Dee. Welcome to Ba Sing Se.

Joo Dees: (In perfect unison) I'm Joo Dee. Welcome to Ba Sing Se.

Dai Li Agent: We are so lucky to have our walls to create order.

Joo Dees: (In perfect unison) We are so lucky to have our walls to create order.

Jet: (Once more leading) I think there might be a cell big enough to hold Appa up ahead. (He stops before a sealed stone door) I think it's through here.

He slides the door open. Inside was a massive shadowy cavern. Far the heroes cautiously enter, and the stone door abruptly slides shut behind them. They spin around in surprise, as the room is plunged into darkness, then green lanterns flare to life, illuminating the vast cave. Only now do they notice the Dai Li high above them, suspended from chains or clinging to the ceiling itself. Ahead, Long Feng waits with several more Dai Li agents.

Sokka: (As everyone stares up) Now that's something different.

Long Feng: (Grimly) You have made yourselves enemies of the state. Take them into custody.

The Dai Li dropped down to the floor, encircling the heroes. Two agents launch a stone fist attack, but Toph disintegrates them in mid-fight. As the dust clears, she launches them across the room with a pair of rock pillars. Behind her, Jet turns and rushes another pair, cutting their stone fist projectiles from the air. Sliding along the ground past the first, he trips the second with his hook sword, slamming him hard to the ground. Long Feng watches dispassionately as Aang deals with two more of his Dai Li with air and earth bending. Katara and Sokka manage to destroy two more of the glove projectiles before being seized by two more. Toph intervenes with a stone wall before they can be drug to the waiting Dai Li. They send a rush of stone towards Toph, but she rises high into the cavern on a pillar of rock, forcing them to pursue her the same way. Two more Dai Li race up the walls to either side of her, to strike out at Toph with horizontal columns stone. High in the cavern, Toph swats aside the first two agents, then leaps to avoid the two columns as they crash together beneath her. Landing atop them, she bends up a pair of stone blocks from the columns, using them to drive away both of the remaining agents simultaneously. A fist of stone grabs the back of her shirt, and she is hauled through the air toward a waiting Dai Li. Jet intervenes at the last moment. Leaping past, he hooks her belt with his sword, pulling her to safety as the agent kicks a stone foot attack after them. Longshot covers them as they land, intercepting the missile with one of his arrows. Joined by two of his brethren, the Dai Li retaliate with three fist attacks at Longshot, but Jet cuts them from behind, but Suhara's fire bending quickly dispatches of the attacks. Teo more approach and he takes care of one with his sword while Ghidorah takes out the other one with a fire breath. Meanwhile, Long Feng has seen enough. He flees from the room, sealing a stone door behind him.

Aang: Long Feng is escaping!

Aang and Jet broke free from the melee to pursue him. Dai Li quickly surrounds Toph, Suhara, and Longshot. One sends a fist at Toph, who tries to block it, but another Dai Li bends a hole in the pillar she created, allowing the fist to go straight through, knocking her to the ground. Suhara looked back in shock before his face contorts into one of anger. His hands go ablaze as red scales appear on his face and arms and his eyes turn yellow, he approaches the Dai Li quickly. He punches him, sending him far away. As he stands there, breathing heavily in anger, a fire begins burning around his body. He leaps around, quickly taking out the Dai Li surrounding them. As Longshot helps Toph up, she has a look of confusion on her face.

Toph: What's going on? How's he so quick?

Sokka: (Backing up towards them with his machete in hand) I guess you've never seen him do this before. To be fair, we've only seen it once, at an abbey when we were fighting his dad and cousin and this other crazy lady. Whenever he gets super angry, his fire bending gets stronger.

Katara: (Besides her brother) He draws power from his passion and goals most of the time, but sometimes he uses his rage and hate. When he does, he's usually stronger than you could even imagine.

He finally takes down the last Dai Li agent, the flame around him goes out. As his enemy falls to the floor, he pants.

Sokka: You okay?

Suhara: Yeah, I'm fine. Let's go find Aang and Jet.

~ ~ ~

The doorway slides open. They all rush forward to surround Aang and Jet, who are on the floor. They all were sorrowful and had shocked expressions. Katara draws forth her bending water, kneels beside him, and applies her healing powers to his chest.

Katara: (Turning to the others) This isn't good.

Smellerbee: You guys go find Appa. We'll take care of Jet.

Katara: We're not going to leave you.

Longshot: (Speaking for the first time) There's no time. Just go. We'll take care of him. He's our leader.

The five heroes look at him with expressions of wonder.

Jet: (Tenderly) Don't worry Katara, I'll be fine.

Jet smiles weakly up at her, and she closes her eyes in grief before rising to her feet. The heroes file off somberly, leaving the Freedom Fighters behind. Toph, Suhara and Sokka bring up the rear.

Toph: (Softly) He's lying.

Suhara: (Softly) I know.

Behind them, Smellerbee weeps over Jet. Longshot watches the heroes disappear down a passageway before readying an arrow to cover the other entrance.

~ ~ ~

Toph, with the others, closes behind her, opens a large door. They step into a room where the six manacles lie empty within the prison.

Aang: Appa's gone. Long Feng beat us here.

Sokka: If we keep moving, maybe we can catch up to him.

An outcropping of rock bearing a circular stone plug arises at the edge of the lake. Cracks form on the plug, and it shoots off to shatter on the nearby cliff face. The five heroes emerge and start racing along the narrow shoreline. Glancing over his shoulder, Aang sees nine Dai Li emerge in pursuit from the hole behind them.

Sokka: (Running beside Aang) Do you think we can outrun them?

Aang: I don't think it's gonna matter.

Ahead we see six more Dai Li flanking the waiting Long Feng. The six agents bend up a thirty-foot wall of stone beneath Long Feng's feet, sealing the strip of land between the cliffside and the lake. The heroes draw to a stop, and behind them the Dai Li raise another wall, boxing them in. They were enclosed and surrounded by eighteen Dai Li, who cling to the edges of the walls and the cliffside while Long Feng watches from atop the first wall. Momo sweeps down out of the sky and lands on Aang's shoulder chattering excitedly.

Aang: What is it Momo?

Momo launches upward, past Long Feng, to disappear into the bright midday sun. Moments later Appa emerges from the dazzling light, hurtling downwards towards them. The fie heroes look upwards with expressions of delight.

Aang: Appa!

Appa swoops down and smashes through the first wall, continuing onward through the second. The Dai Li perched on the wall are knocked senseless by the bursting walls and fall to the ground or spill into the water. Aang and Toph bend the cliff that the remaining agents are perched on, flinging them far out into the lake. Appa circles around to land heavily near the shaken Long Feng, as the remaining Dai Li flee. Turning from his fleeing men, Long Feng faces an enraged Appa.

Long Feng: I can handle you by myself.

He launches a kick at Appa, who catches his leg in his teeth. With a righty toss of his powerful neck, Appa sends him skipping far out across Lake Laogai, to disappear with a final splash. The sky-bison pauses momentarily before spitting out his shoe. Aang, Sokka, Katara, and Momo throw themselves onto the shaggy bison, while Toph stroke his nose and Suhara pats the side of his head. Ghidorah crawled onto the bison's nose and hugs his forehead.

Sokka: (Hugging his leg) Yeah! Appa!

Aang: (Head pressed in his fur, crying) I missed you, buddy.

Appa's great brown eyes close in contentment. The heroes ride Appa over Lake Laogai. Katara stares down wistfully at the lake's surface, eyes brimming with tears. Aang puts a hand on her shoulder, and she turns back to them, wiping a tear. All five of the group gather in an embrace, as Appa carries them off into the distance.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.4K 483 16
Zuko met the slave girl Shira as a child but he never knew that she was also a bender... and a special one. Just as Zuko is making friends with the g...
94.9K 2.2K 42
(Y/N) lived in the fire nation most of her life, growing up in the palace where she was close friends with Prince Zuko. She enjoyed her time in the p...
189K 4.2K 14
A boy raised on the run with his mother, away from the Fire Nation. His father, a Fire bender who is head of a clan of killers, and his mother, a for...
19.8K 550 35
After arriving at the Fire Nation and meeting her real father Sakari finds herself getting used to life in the palace. But when Fire Lord Ozai begins...