Earth and Fire [Toph Beifong...

By JonahHex5

Suhara is a runaway prince of the Fire Nation, presumed dead by his family. He was taught fire bending at fi... More

Bio
South Pole Travels
The Boy in the Iceberg
The Southern Air Temple
The Fortuneteller
The Waterbending Master
Siege of The North
The Swamp
The Blind Bandit
The Chase
The Library
The Desert
The Serpent's Pass
The Drill
City of Walls and Secrets
Tales of Ba Sing Se
Lake Laogai
The Earth King
The Guru
The Crossroads of Destiny
The Awakening
The Headband
Surprise
The Runaway
The Puppetmaster
Nightmares and Daydreams
The Day of Black Sun
Western Air Temple
Firebending Masters
Sozin's Comet

The Avatar Returns

3.8K 84 12
By JonahHex5

I will be publishing every chapter when it complete in a day and a half an hour. Possibly by the time it is done, you all will be begging me to change the cover. But the only catch is that I'll post and make a new chapter every weekend.

~ ~ ~

Sokka and Suhara with Ghidorah on his shoulder, the three of them were in front of Kanna and the rest of the women of the tribe. Sokka starts walking towards the duo that just returned.

Sokka: (Pointing at Aang) I knew it. You signaled the Fire Navy with that flare. You're leading the straight to us, aren't you?

Suhara walked up and put his hand on Sokka's shoulder

Suhara: Woah, there Sokka, we can't just go assuming things here. Katara, what happened?

Katara held her arm in front of Aang in defense.

Katara: Aang, didn't do anything, it was an accident.

Aang: Yeah, we were on the ship and there was this booby-trap and, well, we... we "boobied" right into it.

Kanna: Katara, you shouldn't have gone on that ship Now we could all be in danger!

Aang: Don't blame Katara! I brought her there. It's my fault.

Sokka: Aha! The traitor confesses! Warriors, away from the enemy! The foreigner is banned from our village!

Katara: (Angrily) Sokka, you're making a mistake!

Sokka: No! I'm keeping my promise to Dad. I'm protecting you from threats like him!

Katara: Aang is not our enemy! Don't you see? Aang's brought us something we haven't had in a long time. Fun.

Sokka: Fun? We can't fight fire benders with fun!

Aang: You should try it sometime.

Suhara: That's not helping your case there Aang.

Sokka: Get out of our village. Now!

Katara: Gran-Gran, please, don't let Sokka do this.

Kanna: Katara, you knew going on that ship was forbidden. Sokka is right. I think it best if the air bender leaves.

Katara: Suhara, you have to under right?!

Suhara: I'm sorry... but Aang put you and the village in danger. I can't let a Fire Nation raid happen again.

Katara: Then I'm banished too! C'mon, Aang, let's go!

Sokka: Where do you think you're going?

Katara: To find a water bender! Aang is taking me to the North Pole!

Aang: I am? Great!

Sokka: Katara! Would you really choose him over your tribe? Your own family?

Katara stops walking mid-way with Aang. Aang just continued walking forward until he stopped in front of Katara.

Aang: Katara, you don't have to do this. I don't want to come between you, and your family.

Aang continues walking to Appa

Katara: Are you really leaving the South Pole? This is goodbye?

Aang: Thanks for penguin sledding with me.

Katara: Where will you go?

Aang: Guess I'll just go back home and see the other air bender. Wow. I haven't cleaned my room in a hundred years. Not looking forward to that. It was nice meeting everyone.

Sokka: Let's see your bison fly now, air boy.

Aang: Come on, Appa, you can do it! Yip! Yip!

Sokka: Yeh, I thought so.

Little Girl: (Her eyes shining with tears) Aang! Don't go! We'll miss you!

Aang: (Sadly) I'll miss you too. Come on, boy.

As Appa and Aang leaves, Kanna walks towards Katara

Kanna: Katara, you'll feel better after you-

Katara: (Turns around, slightly angry) Are you happy now? There goes my one chance at becoming a water bender.

Sokka: Alright soldiers. Ready our defenses! The Fire Nation could be on our shores any moment now!

Little boy: (Raising his hand) But, I gotta-

Sokka: And no potty breaks!

Suhara: (Holding his hand on Sokka's shoulder) Hey Sokka, please leave the children out of this. (To the little boy) It's okay, buddy! Just go back to your momma and don't come out of your tent. Okay?

Sokka: Suhara, what are you doing?!

Suhara: Sokka, we are not going to have kids fight against adults. We should keep the children with their mothers until it's safe, for now, I'm gonna go grab my stuff-

Sokka: What, why?

Suhara: In case if Ghidorah and I are also banished, or in case if we have to fight against the Fire navy's troops.

Walking to the tent and packing his stuff, Sokka enters the tent with a worried look in his eyes.

Sokka: So you're gonna fight? You can't do that. I mean your legs are healed, but your arm isn't completely.

Suhara: The least I could do is hold them down to the best of my fire bending. You guys are the sole reason I'm not dead yet.

Sokka: Big deal.

Suhara: You don't understand! It is my duty to protect my people! And right now I'm going to protect the who saved me.

Sokka: Okay. But I'm going to help you.

Suhara in the Fire Nation armor he had when they first found him. While it isn't much, as it used to, he had the under armor, his sword that he made strapped onto his belt, and some boots on both of his feet. Sokka was putting the final pieces of his armor. A few minutes later, they have Sokka patrolling the outer borders of the tribe's walls, searching for any problems. Suhara was making sure everyone is in place, all inside their respective tents, away from harm.

Once Suhara is done with the headcount, he heads over to accompany Sokka.

Sokka: Anything out of the ordinary, Suhara?

Suhara: Not that I know of.

Sokka: If you say s-

Before Sokka could finish, a loud bang sounded, and rumbling ensued as his tower started to fall over, a Fire navy ship appears from the fog in front of both Sokka and Suhara.

Suhara instantly around for anyone out of place as he jumped down from the border as Sokka remained unmoving looking directly at the ship.

Katara & Suhara: Sokka get out of the way!

As the ship comes to a halt and makes the border crumble, making Sokka fall down a trail of snow back inside the village. The front of the ship tilts down, allowing a group of fire benders to walk out with... Prince Zuko?!

Zuko: Where are you hiding him?

Zuko surveys the crowd of villagers, who fall completely silent. Without warning, he extends his arm out into the crowd grabs Kanna, holding her by the hood of her parka.

Zuko: (Shaking Kanna, annoyed) He'd be about this age? Master of all elements?

The villagers were all silent, Zuko shoves Kanna forcefully back into the crowd. The elderly woman shudders in fear and embraces Katara, while Katara shoots a glare at Zuko.

Receiving no response, Zuko swings his arm out and releases an arc of fire that passes just over the heads of the people, causing them to cover their heads and cry out in fear.

Zuko: (Angrily) I know you're hiding him!

Sokka runs over and picks up his club, most of his war paint having come off at this point. He lets out another battle cry as he charges toward the prince. Zuko swiftly turns around just as Sokka approaches. He ducks under Sokka's wide swing and hurls the warrior forward. Sokka lands on his butt in the snow and is quickly forced to dart from his boomerang at the enemy who barely manages to miss getting hit by the weapon. Zuko growls and glares at Sokka in anger at the near hit; he follows the course of the weapon until it vanishes before looking back at Sokka in anger. One of the village boys tosses Sokka a spear.

Boy: Show no fear!

Sokka handily catches the weapon and changes at Zuko once more. Zuko breaks off pieces of the spear with his forearms, pulls the remains of the weapon out of Sokka's hands, and pokes him thrice in the head with the blunt end. Sokka falls to the ground as Zuko snaps the spear in half and tosses the pieces to the ground on both his sides. Sokka rubs his head in pain. A sparkle of light shines briefly in the distance and Sokka's boomerang spins into view, unnoticed by Zuko. The weapon strikes the back of his helmet with a loud clang. Zuko rearranges his helmet and growls at Sokka. The boomerang has plummeted into the ground in front of Sokka's feet. Enraged, Zuko readies two fire daggers. Suddenly, Aang was riding on an Otter Penguin and takes Zuko's feet out from under him. He spins around a few times before coming to a halt in front of his men, his helmet landing on his butt as they watch. Quickly thereafter, Suhara rushes in and sends a group of fire benders to the ground with a few blaze kicks. The villagers cheer as Aang rides speedily toward them, still mounted on the penguin. Aang comes to a halt before Kanna, Katara, and Sokka. The penguin crawls out from under him, tossing him off. Aang smile at the penguin when the animal quacks at him before waddling away as Suhara walks over to the group.

Aang: (Cheerfully, despite) Hey, Katara. Hey, Sokka.

Sokka: (Moodily) Hi Aang. Thanks for coming.

Aang looks back at the Fire Nation soldiers, where Zuko just got back on his feet again. Upon his signal, his men spread out, surrounding Aang and Suhara while Zuko assumes a fighting stance. The two assume fighting stances as well, with Aang's staff held firmly in front of him as he is being surrounded by the soldiers. He sweeps the ground side to side with his staff, showering the men with snow. He subsequently slams the ground, sending a rush of snow at Zuko who braces for the impact. After being sprayed with snow, and heating it so it would melt off, Zuko looks up angrily.

Aang: Looking for me?

Zuko: You're the air bender? You're the Avatar?

Suhara stands beside the air bender.

Suhara: Yeah, I figured as much. Those arrows kinda give it away.

Zuko: I've spent years preparing for this encounter. Training, meditating... you're just a child!

Aang: Well you're just a teenager.

Then Zuko looks an Suhara.

Zuko: And I just so happen to come with another reward. The traitor!

Zuko and Aang fight, Suhara interfered by shooting his fireball towards Zuko at a deadly speed, but Zuko defects it and pushed Aang (he fell to the ground) and starts walking towards Suhara.

Zuko: It's been a while 'Dr. Smoke'.

Suhara: I see you've heard of me and my little nickname.

Zuko: How can I not, you're famous in the Fire Nation, even a banished prince has heard of you.

Zuko fires a fireball at Suhara, he draws his sword and slices the fireball. Zuko keeps attacking Suhara with a barrage of attacks. Suhara manages to slice all of them. Then, Zuko blasts him with a strong blast of fire. Suhara falls to the ground trying to block Zuko's fire blast. Aang stood up. Zuko was about finish Suhara when Zuko see Aang ready to fight again. Zuko sends a fireball at him. He claps his hand together and makes it go around him, but nearly hits the villagers. Aang sees it too before he looks at Suhara.

Aang: If I go with you, (Holding his staff in front of him as an offering, making sure Zuko understands that he does not wish to continue fighting) will you promise to leave everyone alone?

Zuko: I want him to come as well.

Zuko pointed to Suhara.

Suhara: (Sigh) Alright.

Katara: No! Aang, Suhara, don't do this

Aang: Don't worry, Katara. It'll be okay.

Suhara: Thank you all for saving me and for your hospitality

Aang: Take care of Appa until I get back.

Zuko: Head course to the Fire Nation. I'm going home.

Zuko and his men took Aang's staff and Suhara's sword and lead them down the two in separate hallways in the ship. Suhara is lead by one guard, another behind him.

Suhara: So uhh, Zuko said I'm even more famous in the Fire Nation?

The Guards stayed silent.

Suhara: So I guess you guys don't really know much about me.

Guard: Silence!

Suhara: Don' say I didn't- Actually, no I never warn you, so feel free to say I didn't warn you.

He takes a deep breath in before letting out a fire wave from his mouth. He then lets out another behind him with his hands, burning the ropes that bound him. Then Suhara does a front flip and kicks the guards in the making guards that he runs into fall over. He keeps running. He blasts his way through a door and begins searching the room.

Suhara: Please say they're here, please say they're here- Aha!

He holds up three books, each labeled in Chinese numerals.

Suhara: My research notebooks. They're all here. Well almost all of them.

He quickly puts them in his pack as Ghidorah pops up

Ghidorah: I wonder why they were on the prince's ship.

Suhara: I did a lot of research on the Avatar back in the day. My cousin wants to use my research for his benefit. Can't blame him, it was pretty extensive research. I'm glad he didn't burn them all. A lot of my research would've been useless to him since a lot of it was on metalworking and fire bending techniques and stuff.

Ghidorah: We can question it later. Let's go!

He runs out and to the top deck, where he discovers Zuko and Aang fighting staff in one hand and a sword in the other.

Aang: (Notices Suhara) Hey! I think this belongs to you!

Aang throws his sword over to him. Suhara catches it and starts fighting off the Fire Benders on the ship. Suhara was excellent with sword fighting since he was trained by swordsmen from the Fire Nation.

Zuko hits Aang with a fireball, knocking him off the deck.

Suhara: NO!

Suhara hits Zuko with another fireball, knocking him to the ground, but he swiftly gets back up. Suhara draws his sword and takes a fighting stance, but he doesn't need to do anything since Aang, at the center of the bow, a monstrous inverted tornado of water is propelled into the sky at amazing speed, towering high over the bridge atop his swirling maelstrom of water. Aang lands on the deck, his eyes and arrow tattoos glow and bends the water from the column around him in a circle. He releases it and it expands outwards in a shockwave that blasts Zuko and his men overboard. Aang is on his knees, wobbling after the huge energy expenditure. He falls forward as his eyes and arrow tattoos went back to their original color, the white energy was fading from them. Appa lands and Katara and Sokka jump off to retrieve him, Suhara running forward t help.

Suhara: You good Arrowhead?

Aang: (Drained) Hey Katara, hey Sokka, thanks for coming.

Sokka: Well, I couldn't let you have all the glory.

Suhara: You're telling me.

Aang: I dropped my staff.

Sokka: Got it!

Sokka runs over to pick up the staff. As he picks it up, Zuko grabs on to the staff, frightening Sokka. Zuko tried to pull himself up or pull Sokka into the frozen waters with him. Sokka uses the staff to poke Zuko on the head repeatedly, making him fall to the lower parts of the ship and clinging on to a metal chain.

Sokka: Ha! That's from the Water Tribe.

Katara noticed some of the fire benders Aang had knocked out earlier were back on their feet in their fighting stance. Katara notices the water on the ship and used it against them. She wanted to blast them with the water, it was easier said than done as she ended up freezing Sokka's legs instead of the Fire Nation soldiers.

Sokka: Katara!

Sokka starts to chip away at the ice holding his feet with his boomerang with Suhara helping with his fire bending while the soldiers move forward once again. Katara then turned around backward and did the same thing she accidentally did to Sokka, freezing the men in a thin sheet of ice in place just as they were about to reach Katara. Aang was already on the Bison, Katara was crawling up Appa and noticed how "slow" Sokka was.

Katara: Hurry up Sokka!

Sokka: (To himself) I'm just a guy with a boomerang; I didn't ask for all this flying and magic.

He finally frees himself from the ice his sister put him in, he grabs Aang's staff and they run up Appa's tail.

Sokka: Yip yip! Yip yip!

Once they are onboard, Appa rumbles and takes off. As Appa gains altitude, Zuko and Iroh in unison launch a massive bolt of fire at Appa. As Appa gains altitude, Zuko and Iroh in unison launch a massive bolt of fire at Appa. Aang jumps to the back of the saddle and using his staff like a baseball bat air bends a gale that sends the fireball at a right angle away from Appa and into the ice cliff nearby. The fireball hit the cliff and started a small avalanche on Zuko and the ship. In the end, the snow all fell on the front of Zuko's ship, causing damage to the ship.

Iroh: Good news for the fire lord, the Fire Nation's greatest threat is just a little kid.

Zuko: That kid, uncle, just did this. I won't underestimate him again. Dig this ship out and follow them!

The fire benders of the group were thawing their friends out of their icy prison. They looked at Zuko, wondering what they'd do.

Zuko: As soon as your done with that.

Zuko sees the horror as the bow of the ship and indeed the entire channel is blocked up under an avalanche of ice. As Aang, Katara, Sokka and Suhara fly away on Appa's back.

Katara: How did you do that? With the Water? It was the most amazing thing I've ever seen.

Aang: (Sitting cross-legged on the saddle with a sad expression on his face): I don't know. I just sort of... did it.

Katara: Why didn't you tell us you were the Avatar?

Aang: Because... I never wanted to be.

Katara: But Aang, the world has been waiting for you to return and finally put an end to this war.

Aang: (Looking down sadly) And how am I going to that?

Katara: According to legend, you need first master water, then earth, fire right?

Aang: That's what the monks told me.

Katara: Well, if we go to the North Pole you can master water bending.

Aang: We could learn it together!

Katara: And Sokka, I'm sure you'll get to knock some fire bender heads on the way.

Sokka: (Somewhat dreamily) I'd like that. I'd really like that.

Suhara: Just make sure it's not my head.

Sokka: Right, sorry.

Aang: And who are you, again?

Suhara: My name's Suhara.

Sokka: So what now Suhara?

Suhara: Well, I'm a traitor to the Fire Nation. I had no idea where to go for the past year. I just wanted to go somewhere so I can make things right to the Fire Nation by messing them up. So I guess I'm in. Now that the Avatar is back. I now think helping him would be a good place to start on my quest to stopping the Fire Nation. (Ghidorah pops out of his shirt) Sorry, our quest. This is my fire-bending teacher, Ghidorah, by the way. The last remaining dragon.

Aang: So you're a traitor to the Fire Nation who really wants to hurt them to make a better nation than they are right now? I think going to be good friends. Maybe you'll be able to teach me some fire bender.

Suhara: Well I'm not that good of a teacher. But I'll try to.

Katara: then we're in this together.

Aang: (Producing a scroll) All right, but before I learn water bending, we have some serious business to attend to (He air bends himself over to them and opens the scroll to reveal a map) here, here, and here.

He points to two spots in the Earth Kingdom and one spot on the southern Sir Nomad islands in quick succession.

Katara: What's there?

Aang: Here (Pointing to the eastern Earth Kindom) we'll ride the hopping llamas. Then way over here (Pointing to a spot on the southern Air Nomad islands) we'll surf on the backs of giant koi fish. then back over here we'll ride the hog-monkeys. They don't like people riding them, but that's what makes it fun!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 30.4K 50
(Y/n) has had a hard life. Her mother was killed, father went to war, and had to protect her twin brother and little sister Sokka and Katara for as l...
22.6K 513 56
In a raging war that has spanned over the course of a hundred years, all hopes of ending it and bringing balance to the world lay on the shoulders of...
769 37 6
The Hundred Year War is over. Peace rules the world in an unprecedented way. The world is starting to heal from the mistakes of the past. It's been...
15.2K 483 16
Zuko met the slave girl Shira as a child but he never knew that she was also a bender... and a special one. Just as Zuko is making friends with the g...