š—” š—Ÿš—¼š˜€š˜ š—©š—¼š—¶š—°š—² || Mer...

By linesantique

Meruem strives to reject his humanity, born with the premonition that he can never openly display emotion. Ma... More

Author Notes
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34

Chapter 5

507 23 14
By linesantique

*The next morning, Meruem is sitting in the throne room with Pouf in a corner reading. Pitou and Youpi are both elsewhere guarding the palace.*

Meruem

The human told me I was 'angry' at Pouf when he wouldn't give me a straight answer... but she said I've displayed other emotions too? What else?...

I most definitely haven't shed tears like her... or felt 'sadness' for that matter.

*Meruem sits on his throne, his head propped in the palm of his hand. He stares ahead vacantly, his thoughts consuming him.*

She also talked about 'happiness.' I don't think I've felt that either... conversing with her was pleasant I suppose, although she is just a food source...

Pouf

I can't believe the absurdities going through His Majesty's mind! That stupid human is corrupting him... I've got to do something!

*Pouf abruptly stands, pulling out his violin and beginning to play. Tears dramatically flow down his cheeks as he prances around the room, Meruem not paying much attention to his antics.*

Wait a minute... I have an idea!

"Sire, might I make a suggestion?"

*Pouf composes himself and bows in front of the King.*

Meruem

"Speak."

Pouf

"Well I can see you're looking for a way to kill time before the selection begins. I humbly suggest you try out something called 'board games.' Humans invented different games that all involve skills of strategy and adaptability. Each game has their own respective champion. If you so desire, I can fetch champions for you to play against."

Meruem

"Finally, a viable way to mitigate this endless tedium. Give me the rulebooks and I'll review them while you fetch these champions."

"While you're still here, tell the other two guards they are to convene here now. I'd like to address final preparations for the selection."

Pouf

"Of course Your Highness. I'll bring them immediately."

*Pouf rushes out of the throne room in search of Pitou and Youpi. Once he had alerted both, the three guards make their way to the throne room.

The three enter simultaneously and bow in front of the King.*

Meruem

"As I mentioned previously, this palace has been dubbed the meat plantation. You three are to be in charge of gathering the humans in a nearby city to prepare them for the eventual march over to the palace. We are to use the national holiday as an excuse for cover and to not cause a panic. Once the holiday's date grows closer I'll give more instruction. For now, Pouf you are on duty first. Bring me a champion on your way back. The rest of you are dismissed to your usual posts."

"No one is to disturb me unless I call for them!"

Royal Guards

"Yes Your Highness."

*The three guards disperse, Pouf flying off the grounds to attend to his agenda. Pitou and Youpi both wander around the palace, guarding from various locations.

At the same time, Mara is in the library reading. Sitting on a plush chair under a reading lamp, she has her back to the entrance of the library. When she hears the doors creak open, she turns around to see Peggy approaching her.*

Peggy

"Why hello Mara! I figured I'd run into you here. I was wondering if you'd like to join myself and a couple others for a late breakfast?"

Mara

Good morning to you as well. This sounds more like an inadvertent excuse for me to cook for you once again.

Peggy

"Haha you sure are a perceptive one! You've caught me red-handed..."

*Peggy sheepishly rubs the back of his head, giving Mara a pleading smile. She silently giggles in response and begins to gather her belongings.*

Mara

I'm only pulling your ear, it's a pleasure. The more the merrier!

*Mara stands and follows Peggy out of the library, Peggy stopping along the way to pick out a new book. Once outside, Mara is introduced to two others.*

Peggy

"The woman before you is a guest of the King... so behave yourself Cheetu."

*Mara watches as Peggy shoots Cheetu an accusatory glance, the interaction making her giggle. Behind Cheetu is a younger girl, who timidly looks up at Mara from behind Cheetu. Mara gives a soft smile and wave in response before pulling her whiteboard out.

The two ants watch perplexed as Mara begins to write.*

Mara

It's nice to meet you both, my name is Mara. I apologize for the roundabout communication, but I have no voice with which to speak.

Peggy has invited me to join you all for breakfast, under the condition that I'm the cook. With that being said, does anyone have any requests?

*Mara looks expectantly at the group, excitement radiating off of her.*

Reina

"Miss, could we have pancakes please? It's okay if it's too much t—"

Cheetu

"Woah human food!? I haven't tasted that in ages... I can't even remember the last time! I didn't know you liked human food Peggy."

*Peggy turns to look at Cheetu, Mara watching the exchange silently.*

Peggy

"It's awfully nostalgic for reasons I can't quite explain... but nostalgia aside, Mara's cooking is phenomenal, just try it out once!"

Cheetu

"Man you've got me all curious now... if I'm not satisfied you're filling my quota today okay? Deal!?"

*Peggy laughs and nods in agreement. The two walk ahead of Mara and Reina who lag a bit behind.

Eventually the group reaches the kitchen, Peggy holding the door open for the rest of the group. Once inside, Mara sets her board down next to Reina and begins to cook, the other three sitting at the counter.*

Cheetu

"So Mara, why're you even here? What's the King of all people see in you?"

Peggy

"Cheetu! Would it kill you to be a little less blunt?"

*Mara pauses from her cooking and grabs her board.*

Mara

I've lived in this palace— or a tower attached to the palace— for the majority of my life. I was kept as a captive of the former Supreme Leader for reasons I'm not entirely sure of. The King has kept me alive as free-range cattle, he's patiently waiting for me to regain my nen abilities.

Cheetu

"Regain your abilities? Didya lose them or something?"

Mara

Indeed, although I cannot be certain why. That seems like a common theme in my life.

*Mara smiles weakly and places her board down. The group silently watches as Mara cooks, Reina taking great interest in what Mara was doing. Mara eventually takes notice to Reina's attentiveness.*

Mara

Would you like to help me? I'll be needing a talented chef soon~

*Reina nods and follows Mara's instructions. Cheetu and Peggy make idle conversation as they watch the two girls. Mara instructs Reina to mix fruit into the batter, keeping an eye on her from behind.

Back in the throne room, Meruem sits around bored. He decides to walk around the palace, subconsciously searching for his captive.*

Meruem

That girl isn't in her room again...

*Meruem uses his en.*

She's in the kitchen... with three others?!

*Meruem quickly makes his way to the kitchen, stopping once in front of the door. From outside, he catches bits of conversation although he cannot discern who it's between. Cracking the door open, he spots two subordinates sitting at the counter, recognizing one to be the one he saw with Mara the other day. He follows the gaze of the other subordinate, finding him to be eyeing Mara's chest as she helps a young ant plate second servings.* 

Based on her description of 'happiness' she is displaying that right now...

Why does my heart feel like this? The way that subordinate is looking at her is abominable! I'll have to ask her what emotion this feeling is...

More importantly... why are there so many subordinates eating this human food?! Don't they have an acquired taste for human flesh? What is with the change of heart...

*Mara feels eyes on her and turns her head to the kitchen door. She notices Meruem standing in the doorway and gives a smile and wave. Noticing he's been caught, Meruem has no choice but to enter the kitchen. Everyone turns to see who has entered, immediately scrambling to stand and bow.

Mara pays no mind to formalities and grabs her board off the island's counter.*

Mara

For someone who doesn't eat human food you sure visit the kitchen a lot. Would you happen to care for some pancakes?

Meruem

"Tch! My mind hasn't changed overnight, I will not succumb to eating your food. I'm appalled my subordinates have stooped this low!"

*Cheetu and Peggy glance at each other in fear, but Reina breaks the awkward silence by running up to Mara and tugging at her dress, standing on her tiptoes to whisper up to her.*

Reina

"Thank you for the breakfast, it was delicious."

Mara

If you don't want breakfast, I'll take my leave. Good day to you all.

Reina, would you like to come along?

*Reina nods. The girls leave, Mara briskly walking past Meruem without giving him any farewell acknowledgement. Meruem gives his subordinates a glare before turning to leave.*

Meruem

Why did she leave in such a hurry? Did what I say upset her?...

Why do I care if it upset her? I'm the King, and I'm all powerful!

I still need her to answer my questions though... damn it all. Why am I following a human around?!

*Mara and Reina walk around the palace in comfortable silence until they stumble upon a courtyard. Reina stops to look at the flowers and Mara notices. She takes Reina by the hand and leads her into a patch of grass where she sits, Reina following suit.*

Mara

Reina, why don't you pick some flowers? I'll braid you a flower crown.

*With a burst of energy, Reina runs off to find flowers to her liking. Left alone, Mara lies down and gazes at the sky above her, soaking in the sunshine.

Shortly after Reina had run off, she soon returns with an armful of flowers. Mara begins braiding as Reina lies her head in Mara's lap. Neither speak, but there is a solidarity between the two girls. Mara soon finishes the crown and places it on Reina's head. She shifts to grab her whiteboard and taps Reina's shoulder for her attention.*

Mara

Sometimes all a girl needs is a chance to feel pretty. I hope this crown suffices.

*With small tears in her eyes, Reina jumps onto Mara giving her a hug. Mara smiles softly, rubbing Reina's back.*

Reina

"You're the first one to be nice to me here, thank you. Can you be my big sister?"

Mara

I would be honored.

*The two girls continue their embrace, a small smile gracing Mara's face. Suddenly, Reina breaks away from Mara in a hurry. Mara is shocked to see that she had started crying profusely.*

Reina

"Are you not scared of me? I'm not human anymore and I don't look it..."

"I'm scared what my family would think if they saw me..."

Mara

Outward appearance is a superficial concept. True beauty is found within, your personality and actions defining it. Strive to be a good person, as you have already shown to be, and you'll give no reason for anyone to fear you.

I'm sure when you get the chance to see your family they'll welcome you with a warm embrace as always. In the meantime, come to me whenever you feel in need of a new flower crown, I'd be more than happy to supply.

*Reina stops crying and hugs Mara tightly.

From behind a pillar, Meruem watches the conversation between the two unfold. He barely made out what Mara had written on her whiteboard.*

Meruem

She thinks looks are superficial? Could that be why she wasn't fazed by my appearance?

I still threatened to kill her though... I still don't understand how she is able to look death in the eye and remain calm...

*Lost in thought, Meruem fails to realize the two girls had left. Reina went to attend to the woman she served and Mara left to enjoy some quiet time in the library. As Mara turns the corner around the pillar, she bumps straight into the chest of the new Supreme Leader.

With a flushed face, Mara immediately bows low. As she stands up again, ready to write an apology, Meruem interjects.*

Meruem

"Why is your face red?! Are you sick?"

*This comment only makes Mara flush more and this concerns the King. Eventually she composes herself and writes.*

Mara

I'm sorry I concerned you, this is just another reaction people have to emotions. If you'd still like to continue our conversation, I'd be happy to elaborate further.

Meruem

I have so many questions for her...

"So be it. Let us go to the library."

*Mara nods and they begin to silently walk side by side.*

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

37.4K 937 29
Yandere! Kurapika x Fem! Reader book. š˜ŗš˜°š˜¶ š˜¢š˜µš˜µš˜¢š˜¤š˜¬ š˜®š˜ŗ š˜©š˜¦š˜¢š˜³š˜µ, š˜ŗš˜°š˜¶ š˜¢š˜µš˜µš˜¢š˜¤š˜¬ š˜®š˜ŗ š˜©š˜¦š˜¢š˜³š˜µ The world is a nasty place. "Motive"...
Weak By eff_off

Fanfiction

122K 4.1K 29
L/N Y/N was never strong. All her life, she's had to rely on others around her and she hated it. She hated not being able to protect herself and she...
641 78 13
The Lost Teardrop Of The Moonlight's Blessing A lone story that speaks for a shadow forgotten within years upon disappearance whom appeared once lig...
9.8K 385 25
-=-=- "I wish you loved me as I love you. But you're simply bound by the contract that binds us." Killua, the heir to the Zoldyck family of assassins...