Giving into you (Bruce Wayne...

By Jane_1398

Isabella Montez is loved by the people of Gotham, but after spending a year trying to hide away from the spot... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Message to readers
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Message from reader!
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six

Chapter Three

3.2K 104 15
By Jane_1398

As soon as I stepped out of my apartment, I was faced with the press. Luckily, I had aviators covering my tired eyes and I was able to make it to the car without saying a word. They were shouting all sorts about Bruce and me. Had I talked to him? Were we on good terms? What does Bruce think about your relationship with Carmen? 

I was sick of hearing Carmen's name. Everywhere you looked there were posters up about his campaign. Every time you watched the television, they were discussing it. It's as if I couldn't escape it. As we drove to Carmen's place, I stared out of the window and occasionally my eyes would drift over to Wayne Towers. I wondered whether Bruce was there and thought about what he might be thinking. It was hard to forget what had happened, but I knew that I had to move on somehow. He hadn't changed, or it didn't look like it anyway. On one hand though, I did understand why he might be hurting. After ten years of being together, and all the years knowing each other prior to that, and after being engaged, it probably did hurt him to see me with someone else just a year later. But if he had paid closer attention, he would have seen that I wasn't the one that went to Carmen, I didn't touch him, I didn't reciprocate any of it, and surely he would see that whenever I was around him, I was uncomfortable. Still, however, I'd probably be hurt as well if I saw him with another woman. We weren't together anymore so I guess it shouldn't have really mattered, but all of the feelings we had weren't going to just disappear. 

When we arrived at Carmen's place, Carmen and my parents were standing outside his grand doorway. The three of them were dressed as if they were going to a wedding. Clearly, I didn't get the memo in my jumper, sneakers and skinny jeans. I climbed out of the car to be greeted excitedly by the three of them. 

"Isabella, you made it," Carmen said as he gave me a hug. I barely hugged him back. 

"Why are you all dressed like that?" I asked. 

"I have something to show you, but I need you to wear this first," Carmen took a blindfold out from his jacket pocket and held it out to me. I glanced at it before looking up at him. "Come on, please?" Behind him, I could see my parents giving me a warning look. To save the argument, I did as I was asked and allowed Carmen to tie the blindfold across my eyes. 

"You better not be taking me to my death," I muttered as he tried to take my hand, however, I pulled away and opted for his jacket sleeve instead. It wasn't long before we arrived wherever we had to go and when the blindfold was removed, I couldn't believe my eyes. There were rose petals across the floor that was used to spell out the words 'will you marry me?' I looked in disbelief at Carmen who was holding a red velvet box. Inside was a silver diamond ring. It was a big diamond. One that wasn't to my taste. 

"What is this?" I asked quietly, even though I knew full well what it was. I wanted to pinch myself to make sure that this was real. 

"It's a proposal of course," my mother exclaimed clapping her hands together quietly. 

"So, what do you say?" Carmen asked, and I couldn't help but smile, but the smile wasn't because I was happy. It was because all of this must have been some sort of stupid joke.

"No," I say causing all of their smiles to vanish.

"No?" I heard my mother whisper as she puts her hand onto her chest as if it was hurting. 

"I can't marry you, Carmen. This is all too much."

"I understand you're probably not ready for this and I know you might have been put off from the past, but I want to marry you. It will be really good for us. Think about how good this will look for us both." Well, this wasn't the sort of proposal speech I was expecting. 

"Look good for us both?" 

"This will really help my campaign, and in the meantime, we can build our relationship. So, what's your answer?" 

"My answer is no." 

"Isabella, stop being ridiculous," my dad snaps. 

"This whole thing is ridiculous," I exclaim losing my patience. "We're not even in a relationship. Carmen, there is no you and I, okay? I don't love you. I don't want to." 

There was silence amongst us all, and I could hear my father's angry breaths behind Carmen who still looked as if he was trying to process the rejection. It was evident he wasn't used to being rejected.

"Is this because of Bruce Wayne?" Carmen then asked, and the question threw me a little. Was it because of Bruce? I didn't love Carmen. I never did and I never will, but I'd be lying to myself if I said Bruce didn't have anything to do with this. Though, I didn't owe any honesty to Carmen, or my parents. All they ever did was treat me like an object. I was just something that looked good on their arm. Bruce, on the other hand, only ever treated me with respect.

"Bruce?" My father groaned stepping past Carmen and standing in front of me. "That man hurt you. He is bad news. You need to get him out of your head."

The thing is, no one knew what happened between Bruce and me aside from Alfred. Why would they? I told them we got into an argument and it wasn't working out, but I never went into detail. Throughout the entire time, my parents never asked if I was okay anyway, all they did was say how awful Bruce was. If only his old friends Thomas and Martha could hear his harsh words.

"Is this because you saw him last night?" Carmen added. "Did something happen?" 

"Nothing happened." 

"Isabella," my mother cried. "I thought that you were happy with Carmen?" 

"In what world are you living in?" I yelled. "Carmen and I are not together. We never have been. You just assumed like everybody else. You always do because you think you know what's best for me, but you don't, and I am sick of being treated like a child, and like my opinions and feelings aren't valid. This family is a joke. If you can even call it a family." 

"Don't you dare disrespect this family. We have done everything for you. We have always been there for you," my father shouts. 

"What, by throwing money in my face? That's all your answer ever is. All you care about is being Mayor and all of the crime you're running throughout this city. You don't give a damn about the people," I take a look at Carmen. "And neither do you. You're only here to get more votes. You don't care about me, or them." I look back at my father. "He's using you for publicity because it looks good. You might let him do that, but I'm not going to be used as some sort of propaganda." 

My father glared at me for a moment and stayed quiet, before reaching for my mother's hand and pulling her out of the room. That's what he did when there was an issue. He walked away. Perhaps he realised I was right and that angered him. Honestly, I didn't care. They had never been good parents to me and if they wanted to walk out of my life, I was okay with it. I was left standing with Carmen. He rubbed the back of his head and took a seat. 

"Bruce Wayne," he whispered to himself as he took a large sip of whiskey. "What is it about him that you like so much? All he does is lock himself away in that tower of his. What's he doing for this city? What's he doing for you? I know you've known each other since you were children. You guys really did have a good relationship."

"Don't pretend like you know anything about us." 

"But there is no 'us' anymore is there? Because the two of you are no longer Gotham's favourite couple. So what really is it? Is it his money? His business?" Actually, it was everything but those. 

"You don't know anything about him." 

"Do you really think he isn't involved in all of this crime you're talking about? How do you think we rich people stay rich? We have to make a living for ourselves. We have to make a name for ourselves otherwise the city will just eat you up for dinner. You know that as well as I do." 

"Bruce is nothing like you. He's a good person." 

Carmen smirked and took another sip of whiskey. "If he's such a good person, perhaps he will take you back when you go running to him because you have nobody else." Here was the side of Carmen that we knew was always there. The selfish, jealous, and violent type. Give him his due, he had done so well to hide it for this long. 

"I don't need anybody. I can take care of myself," I firmly said causing him to scoff. "You laugh, but who's the one that walks around with about ten security guards?" He didn't appear to appreciate my comment, but he didn't react. He finished the whiskey in his glass and stood up, walking towards me. 

"Look, Isabella. I don't want to be your enemy. I want you on my side. Regardless of it all, I do only want you to be happy and if that's not with me, then that's fine. It wouldn't be right to force you into something you don't want to do. If there isn't going to ever be anything between us then fine." Why was he being nice all of a sudden? "At least just be honest with me about one thing. Are you still in love with Bruce?" 

This was a question I had asked myself over and over. No matter what situation I was in, or how I felt in the moment, the answer was always the same, but I don't think Carmen deserved that answer. I figured it was better to say goodbye and leave. 

"Goodbye, Carmen." 

With that, I escaped his home quickly not knowing what the next couple of days might bring. When I got home, I felt relieved. I had stood up for myself, and I had put an end to something that was needed. I didn't need any of them in my life. None of them added anything to it but unhappiness and negativity. It never used to always be like this, but when my father started getting involved with politics, everything changed and it had never been the same since. Alfred had been more of a dad to me, and I felt bad for the way I was with him last night. He didn't deserve it. I couldn't blame him or make him suffer because of Bruce.

 As I sat on the sofa, I reached for the phone and pulled up Alfred's contact. I stared at it for a good while before deciding against calling him. I was making a mistake getting involved with Alfred or Bruce again and I couldn't do it to myself anymore. I needed to focus on myself. I had always done things to please others, but I needed to think of myself for a change. 

(Four years ago) 

Bruce and I were taking a walk on the grounds of Wayne Manor. It was surrounded by such a beautiful forest, booming with colourful flowers and was as peaceful as I imagined heaven to be. When we had time to ourselves, we always loved to go for walks and stay on his property, we didn't have to face cameras and judgements. He was wearing his black trench coat and I had my arm wrapped around his, my hand reaching down to hold his. I loved it when he wore this coat because it always so cosy to lean into. Whenever I wore it, it drowned me, but if we were out and I was cold, he'd insist that I wore It. He loved the hell out of me and I was so lucky that I was able to say that every day. 

"Do you remember when we used to always play hide and seek here? It would literally take me forever to find you," I said smiling at the memory. 

"How could I forget? It was always funny because you'd spend so long looking for me." 

"Yeah, and I'd end up finding you up a tree." 

Whenever he laughed, it was always a blessing to me. After what happened with his parents, it took a long time before he laughed, or even smiled and when he did get to the point where he could smile, it was barely one. Thank god for Alfred who helped him grow up to be the man that he is today. I'd like to think I helped him too, and he always told me how lucky he was to have me in his life. 

"So, what do you think about taking a trip up to London this weekend?" Bruce suddenly asks, and I look up at him, slightly surprised by the question. 

"London? Do you have a business meeting there?" 

"No, I was thinking just for us," he stopped walking and I let go of his hand, stepping more in front of him. "I actually wanted to talk to you about something." I suddenly became nervous and I wasn't able to say anything, so I just listened. He seemed nervous himself which wasn't unusual for Bruce, but something felt different now. "So...erm...we've been together for a few years now, even though it feels like a whole lifetime...I mean that in a good way. You mean everything to me, but I hope that you already know that. I love you more than anything else in this world. You've been my rock throughout everything and you only deserve the best. You always know the right thing to say. You listen. You don't judge. You're just the most incredible woman I know. That's why I really want to spend the rest of my life with you." That's when it happened. He took a blue velvet box out from his coat pocket and got down on one knee, regardless of the dirt beneath him. In the box, there was a silver ring. It was beautiful. Of course, it looked expensive, but it wasn't over the top. "Isabella Montez, will you do me the honour of marrying me?" 

I was surprised. Of course, I knew Bruce loved me, but I never expected this from him. He was always the person that ignored Alfred when he made comments about marriage or children. It just wasn't something I expected him to be interested in. Him doing this was a big thing, not just for me, but for him because he was shy at most times. I crouched so that I could be level with Bruce and I placed one hand on his knee, and the other on his cheek. 

"Yes. Of course, I will." 

Everything about that moment was perfect. We were alone and it was in a place that meant everything to both of us. When I did think about it happening, I always hoped that it wouldn't be in public and that it would be as special as this. Bruce knew me so well, and that night I had never seen him smile as much. I had never smiled as much. My cheeks were hurting from it, but I didn't care. We couldn't keep our hands off each other and that night, all we did was spend the night in each other's arms, and I felt like I was falling in love with him all over again. 

To be continued....

_______________

I hope that you enjoyed this chapter. I'd love to get your thoughts on this so far so please comment and let me know what you think. I appreciate everyone that reads, votes and comments. 

Much love to everyone. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.6K 57 11
Ryan saved two siblings from one or two criminals that held them at gunpoint, which happened to be the same exact store that she was falsely accused...
3.7K 123 20
When you find yourself needing a topic for a journalism final, you seek out an interview from Gotham's elusive vigilante, Batman. This proves even mo...
34.3K 1.4K 15
❝ she'll see i'm not so tough, just because i'm in love with an uptown girl ❞ in which bruce wayne is obsessed with being batman, and ivory...
81.1K 2.6K 31
"This is what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object..." * Daughter of...