Life in Zora's Domain - Part...

By Andremoi_88

For anyone who wishes more about Mipha's and Link's life together, this story is a sequel to "Life in Zora's... More

Chapter 1 - Accepting Responsibility
Chapter 2 - Astra and Purah
Chapter 3 - Family Agreements
Chapter 4 - Astra Meets Zelda
Chapter 5 - Catching Up and Diving Down
Chapter 6 - Astra and the Master Sword
Chapter 7 - Motivations
Chapter 8 - Astra Visits Zora's Domain
Chapter 9 - The Right Answers
Chapter 10 - Astra's Day at Zora's Domain
Chapter 11 - Relaxing Rain
Chapter 12 - Astra Returns to Kakariko Village
Chapter 13 - A Possible Future?
Chapter 14 - Astra Returns to Hateno Village
Chapter 15 - Anxious Awaiting
Chapter 16 - Astra Journeys to Akkala
Chapter 17 - A New Life
Chapter 18 - Astra Meets Jerrin
Chapter 19 - Welcome Home!
Chapter 20 - Astra meets Kass
Chapter 21 - Astra Visits Gerudo Town
Chapter 22 - Astra Meets Goron Chief Yun
Chapter 23 - Family Changes
Chapter 25 - Memories and Nightmares
Chapter 26 - Astra Gets a Scolding
Chapter 27 - Gossip
Chapter 28 - Like Father Like Daughter
Chapter 29 - Yiga Clan Hideout
Chapter 30 - Near and Far
Chapter 31 - Attack on the Yiga Clan
Chapter 32 - Childish Behavior
Chapter 33 - Princess Coronation
Chapter 34 - Clearing the Air
Chapter 35 - Washing Away Regrets
Chapter 36 - Revisiting Riju
Chapter 37 - Astra Departs Gerudo Town
Chapter 38 - Coping with Change
Chapter 39 - New Time with Old Friends
Chapter 40 - Astra Visits Ruta
Chapter 41 - Mipha's Diary Lost Pages
Chapter 42 - Ancient Energy Miracle
Chapter 43 - Am I Still Me?
Chapter 44 - Spreading the News
Chapter 45 - Bonding and Memories
Chapter 46 - Moving On
Chapter 47 - Mushroom Memory
Chapter 48 - Small Decisions
Chapter 49 - Lake Akkala
Chapter 50 - Getting Acquainted
Chapter 51 - Memory and Princess Power
Chapter 52 - Bad Choices
Chapter 53 - Combat Training Plans
Chapter 54 - Building Good Relations
Chapter 55 - Meeting the Family
Chapter 56 - Getting Better Acquainted
Chapter 57 - Echolocation
Chapter 58 - Mood Swings
Chapter 59 - Just Desserts
Chapter 60 - Explaining Astra
Chapter 61 - Music of the Water

Chapter 24 - Astra Visits the Thyphlo Ruins

118 1 0
By Andremoi_88

Summary: After some moments with Fi, Astra spends a brief time with Paya's daughter Layna in Castle Town, then sneaks off to the Thyphlo Ruins and learns something important.

It was the evening at Hyrule Castle, and Astra sat in bed updating the diary she was keeping on her Tab.

Year 142 - Month 10 - Day 23

Today marks three weeks since I first arrived here, and we have already made considerable progress.

I met with Kass, Riju, and Yun, the leaders of the Rito, Gerudo, and Gorons. All three have fond memories of my father and recall how he appeased their Divine Beast. But they also shared stories that show his love of all people in Hyrule and how he took time away from his mission to help others in need. That included a Gerudo woman with an ailing husband who needed Molduga Guts for his cure, a Rito mother, Kass's wife in fact, who was worried about her missing child at Piper Ridge, and a young Goron called Yunobo back then who needed a lesson in courage. I'm as proud of my father for the "little" things he did as for the great deeds he is famous for.

At those meetings, Zelda secured the support of their people in any upcoming battle. I think their support was never in doubt, as all free people hate Ganon and his followers for the great harm they have caused and continue to cause.

During a free several days before our scheduled meeting with Kass, I was able to visit the Akkala Region with Dr. Purah. After a brief stop to pray at the Spring of Power, we visited the Ancient Tech Lab, where I met Dr. Robbie's widow Jerrin and their son Granté. I paid my respects to Dr. Robbie, who is buried there. I know he was a brilliant researcher who dedicated his life to destroying the Calamity. May his spirit rest in peace. Jerrin, a former assistant of Dr. Purah, and Granté continue his fine work there.

I detected evidence we were trailed or noticed by the Yiga Clan while there, so we (or rather I) decided we should return to Hateno Village by sea. I was happy to put the sailing skills my father taught me to good use, though I learned in the process that Dr. Purah is prone to seasickness.

Speaking of Dr. Purah, she returned to her lab by Hateno Village after our meeting at Hyrule Castle with Rito Elder Kass. Since then, I have remained here at the castle, only venturing as far as Castle Town on my own.

After an early dinner this evening, I spent the rest of the time before bed going over the pictures in my mother's Sheikah Slate while a heavy rain beat against my bedroom windows. It took a good while but has helped me better understand what life has been like in this Hyrule, especially for my mother.

There were a dozen or so pictures from before the Calamity. Father had told me those were the only pictures that survived after his hundred-year slumber, though he said he seemed to remember Zelda taking more pictures than that, especially of plants and flowers.

However, most pictures on the Sheikah Slate had been taken after the Calamity. The early ones showed various stages of Hyrule's restoration. Among those were even some pictures of my father, taken when he and Zelda traveled across Hyrule, helping to organize its recovery. I copied those to my Tab.

But the majority of the pictures were taken during the twenty years since my father left. Some show more rebuilt Hyrule structures and locations. But others show the officer who would eventually become Zelda's husband, including some pictures of Zelda and him together. They both looked so happy, and I am glad my mother found someone who clearly loved her. There were also pictures of their wedding, obviously taken by someone else, one of which was the same picture I remember seeing in my mother's room. And the last pictures were mostly of Zelda's husband, or both Zelda and her husband, at various locations around the castle and Hyrule.

There are quite a few memories stored on this Sheikah Slate, many of people sadly no longer with us. It breaks my heart to see evidence of how much my mother must have suffered. But it also fills me with anger at the Yiga Clan for the part they and Ganon played in causing so much suffering and the loss of so many loved ones. My resolve to destroy them grows stronger each day. May Hylia protect us and aid us.

After finishing her diary entry, Astra put her Tab down and fell asleep.

The following day was sunny, and after the gloomy prior evening, Astra decided she needed to lighten her mood. So, she danced around her room, humming to the upbeat music she played on her Tab's speaker. Music helped her disposition, and today she was in the mood to feel happy. Then, after a few moments, she heard a voice in her head.

"Mistress? Would you like me to dance with you?"

"Why, Fi, I didn't know you could dance! Yes, I'd like that!"

A bluish figure clad in a purple outfit with a blue cape emerged from the sword then stood before her.

"I am knowledgeable in the art of song and dance, Mistress. It was how I shared messages from Her Grace to my very first master. I can see you also like dancing. And I sensed you felt what I believe you call enjoyment when you danced at the gathering in Zora's Domain in honor of the date of your birth. I can perform the same dance movements with you if you wish."

"We call it a birthday party, Fi, and yes, I would like that. Let me start the song over," said Astra as she mentally instructed her Tab to re-play the song from the beginning. "Okay, Fi, take my hand."

They began dancing to the music together, and Astra laughed with delight as Fi moved so smoothly and effortlessly.

"You're a fantastic dancer!" laughed Astra.

Besides dancing, whenever Fi twirled left, right, or around, she would shower them both with red, blue, or green glitter that sparkled as it floated around them in the air and then disappeared.

"Let's dance to the next song, too," said Astra. "This is great fun!"

They danced to two more songs, and when the third song finally ended, Astra clapped her hands and paused to catch her breath before speaking.

"You dance beautifully, Fi!" said Astra. "You're incredibly light on your feet and so graceful - no pun intended. And since we're being so sociable, please feel free to address me by name. But when did you learn to dance?"

"I did not learn it, Mistress Zelda. I always just knew how."

"I see. Well, dancing with you was great fun, Fi," said Astra. "We should do it more often when we have some private time together. It cheers me up and lifts my spirits."

"I am at your service, Mistress. And a positive outlook increases the likelihood of approaching subsequent endeavors with a greater expectation of a favorable outcome."

"I agree, Fi, though I might have said it a bit differently," laughed Astra.

"It is indeed highly probable that you could improve upon my statement, Mistress Zelda, as I am still learning your expressions. May I ask how you would say it?"

"Well, Fi, I might have said simply that a positive attitude builds confidence. But I knew what you meant, and that's what's most important. Anyway, now I need to meet my mother for breakfast. Thanks again for dancing with me. I enjoyed it!"

"I too felt pleasure during our dance, Mistress Zelda. Until next time."

And with that, Fi vanished back into the sword. Astra smiled and shook her head. Getting Fi to call her by name only was hopeless. But this had been fun!

Astra made her way to the small family dining room and found Zelda there with Paya's daughter, Layna.

"You look especially cheerful this morning, Astra," said Zelda after Astra closed the door behind her. "Layna is joining us this morning, as she has some important information to share."

"Hello, Layna. Nice to see you again."

"Good morning, Astra," said Layna, remembering Astra's royal title was still a secret. "Yes, I received a list of the locations where Yiga Clan warriors typically lurk to spy on any activity as well as waylay passers-by. I hope this information will prove useful."

"Yes, it will," said Zelda. "When the time is right, we can attack all these locations at once before word of our activity spreads."

"After breakfast, let me record this information," said Astra. "I would like to know these locations as well."

"Do you have any other news, Layna?" Zelda asked.

"Nothing specific, Your Majesty," said Layna. "But remain on your guard at all times. There have been more than the usual comings and goings at Kakariko Village, and some may be because of Yiga Clan activity."

The rest of the breakfast was uneventful, and afterward, Layna prepared to leave.

"Are you going straight home, Layna?" Astra asked.

"I was planning to stop in Castle Town to pick up a Rito shawl for my mother. It will soon be winter, and I notice she feels the cold more now than she used to."

"Would you mind my company?" said Astra.

"No, of course not. I would be honored."

"Do you want any guards to accompany you both?" said Zelda.

"No, thank you. I think we can look out for each other in town during the day," said Astra.

Layna said goodbye to Zelda, then she and Astra made their way out the castle front entrance and walked toward Castle Town.

"Can you tell me any more about the Yiga Clan hideout?" Astra asked as they walked.

"Sadly, no," said Layna. "My Kaishi Trial took me near the Thyphlo Ruins, which is where we suspect their hideout is located now. I camped in secret one night close to the western entrance of the island. But I saw no one coming or going, and it was beyond my trial to enter that mysterious land. Why do you ask?"

"Because I am planning to pay it a visit to scout out the location," said Astra.

"Oh! Forgive me for speaking plainly, but that is very dangerous! Does Her Majesty know of your intentions?"

"Yes, that I intend to do it, but not exactly when."

"I would respectfully urge you to reconsider," said Layna. "Such a mission is the role we Sheikah play for the Royal Family. But if you insist on going, you must at least wear a Sheikah outfit to enhance your stealth. I can get you one."

"That's a good point, and I can wear the Sheikah outfit Dr. Purah gave me when I was pretending to be her assistant," said Astra. "And I have practiced the art of stealth, though I don't pretend to be as skilled at it as you."

"That is an excellent reason you should let me undertake this mission instead," said Layna. "As you said, I am more skilled at stealth than you, and a mission of this nature is in keeping with my people's role. Besides, the risk to Hyrule should something happen to you is far too great."

"Thank you, that is a very brave offer, Layna," said Astra kindly as she smiled at her. "You're thinking of me as my mother's daughter. But I am also my father's daughter and can take care of myself. Besides, I have a way of getting in and out of that island quickly. So though my stealth skills may be less, my ability to avoid capture is greater."

"Then please let me know if there is anything I can do," said Layna. "Here is the Rito stall, and I must stop to shop here now. Will you wait for me so I can see you safely back at Hyrule Castle?"

"Of course," said Astra. "I'll look over their goods as well."

Layna purchased a shawl that the merchant said was lined with genuine Rito feathers and guaranteed to keep one warm. And then she and Astra made their way back to the castle.

"You know Mother can't stop talking about your father ever since you arrived," said Layna. "It's brought back quite a few memories for her. She still recalls the day your father first arrived at Kakariko Village, and she recognized he was the long-awaited hero from the Sheikah Slate he was carrying. She said she stuttered badly back then and was so tongue-tied she could barely get her name out! But she never saw her grandmother happier than on that day. Anyway, later, when the Yiga Clan stole a sacred orb from our residence, my mother felt so violated and ill at ease that your father agreed to spend the night in her room to help allay her fears. My great-grandmother Impa must have been an excellent judge of character! Few grandparents would let a teenage boy spend the night with their teenage granddaughter, and especially when the granddaughter had a crush on the boy!"

"No, indeed they wouldn't!" laughed Astra. "But I'm sure she knew my father is a person of honor and always strives to do the right thing. Though sometimes things go wrong, even for him, of course."

"Anyway, here we are back at the Castle," said Layna. "Unless you have further need of me, I will return to Kakariko Village now."

"No, Layna, I will not need any help. So safe travels home, and give my good wishes to your mother," said Astra.

It was the early evening after dinner when Astra returned to her room and prepared herself. First, she put her Tab away in the drawer, as she did not want to take a chance having its advanced technology fall into the wrong hands. Then she put on the Sheikah outfit Purah had given her and made sure she had her bow and a collection of arrows, as well as her sword and a dagger. She thought the dagger might be useful, as the gleam of her sword in the darkness could give away her presence. Then she turned off the lamp in her room to allow her eyes to adjust to the darkness. And when she felt ready, she picked up the Sheikah Slate and selected the map of Hyrule. She placed her finger over the blue symbol labeled Ketoh Wawai Shrine in the middle of the Thyphlo Ruins.

"Well, here goes," said Astra as she pressed the symbol that would initiate her travel.

There was a swirl of ancient energy as Astra's being dematerialized and a moment later materialized on the travel gate of the Ketoh Wawai Shrine. She was clearly visible in front of the bright blue glow of the shrine, and so she was prepared to take action or flee at once using the Sheikah Slate if she was seen. But there was no one nearby. Astra at once moved behind the shrine, then climbed the wall and crouched down atop a pillar there. She put away the Sheikah Slate, so its glow did not attract any attention, then sat, watching, listening, and waiting.

Aside from a few lit bird-shaped torches whose flame flickered orange in the darkness, everything else was pitch black. The only sounds were the buzzing of insects and, in the distance, the gurgling sound of the treacherous swamp that surrounded the island.

Nothing happened for some time, but Astra was prepared for that. She had consumed some extra tea at dinner to help stay awake. But eventually, she made out voices in the distance. And then the voices came closer, and she could make out the flame of a torch when she heard something that startled her: the loud howling of a wolf.

The voices stopped for a moment as the wolf kept howling and snarling. Astra wondered if she would have to use some Ice Arrows to quiet them, then destroy them, if they should discover her? But instead, she heard one of them speak up.

"Gronah, will you shut that thing up? You know Master Kohga hates to have his sleep disturbed, and he has excellent hearing! He can hear those howls from below ground."

"I don't know what's wrong with him?" said Gronah, as he tried calming the wolf by petting it.

"It probably smelled another animal like the deer it came upon last time. You know they wander into here sometimes and then can't find their way out. Hurry and give it some meat or something. Who in Ganon's name keeps a wolf as a pet, anyway?"

"I like him," said Gronah defensively as he pulled out a piece of meat and fed his wolf, which quieted it.

"Let's head back and keep your pet quiet, or Master Kohga will have it thrown into the swamp."

Gronah tugged on the leash, and the pair disappeared into the darkness. Only the flame of the torch one of them was carrying was visible.

Astra quietly climbed down from her perch atop the pillar and slowly followed the torch, being careful to keep her distance and tread lightly. The challenge was to remain close enough not to lose sight of them but not so close as to alert them to her presence. The wolf made some snarling noises a few times, but the owner was apparently more worried about awakening their leader than letting the wolf hunt whatever was alarming it.

The journey was as creepy as it could get, with the perpetual darkness and eerie silence. At one point, Astra made a slight noise, stepping on a branch in the dark, and the two warriors stopped and turned as Astra froze in place. She was counting on her Sheikah garment to help conceal her.

"This place even gives me the creeps," said one warrior as they peered into the darkness but saw nothing.

"It's probably another wolf or a wild animal," said the other. "Let's hurry and get back."

And when the two Yiga Clan warriors reached a location quite a ways east and somewhat south of the shrine, Astra could barely make out in the torchlight an upraised platform with two small structures on each side containing a Luminous Stone each. There was the murmur of voices, but she could not make out the words from this distance. Then the light from the left stone disappeared, then reappeared twice, and then the same thing happened to the right stone, only three times in succession, then again twice to the left stone. Someone must be touching and releasing each stone.

And then there was a loud scraping sound of stone rubbing against stone, and when it stopped, the flame of the torch slowly sank and disappeared. An entrance must have opened in the ground, and the Yiga Clan warriors entered it. A moment later, the scraping sound could be heard again as the entrance must have closed behind them, and only the glow of the two Luminous Stones remained.

She wondered if they had taken the wolf inside with them and decided it was best not to wait to find out. She did not want to leave evidence of a dead wolf behind. It was already quite late by now, and Astra felt she had learned something of importance. It was time to go home.

She pulled out the Sheikah Slate and selected the Saas Ko'sah shrine at the Hyrule Castle dock. After pressing the map symbol, she materialized at the shrine above the dock, and nobody noticed her arrival. However, after making her way up the stairs to the library, she was stopped by a Captain on duty. By now, most guards working inside the castle knew who she was.

"Excuse me, Miss Astra, but where do you think you are going alone at this time of night? And are you returning from the docks?"

"Yes, and heading back to my room now, Captain."

The Captain shook his head.

"Has no one cautioned you about the danger of wandering around on your own late at night? Her Majesty has charged us with looking out for your safety, Miss Astra, and your actions make that exceedingly difficult. I will need to report this to Her Majesty, of course. And how did you get past the guards on duty in the residential area of the castle? They will have something to answer for over this matter as well."

"Don't blame the guards, Captain," said Astra. "I used some ancient Sheikah technology to avoid detection. It was beyond their ability to prevent my departure."

"I won't pretend to understand what that means, but I will personally escort you back to your room now, Miss Astra," said the Captain. "And you should expect some stern words from Her Majesty after she receives my report."

"Yes, I expect I will hear some stern words from Her Majesty about this evening," said Astra, as she shook her head and sounded remorseful. "Apologies for causing you or your soldiers any trouble."

The Captain accompanied her to her room and passed some startled guards on duty. Astra made a mental note to speak to her mother to make sure no one besides her got in any trouble over the incident. When she reached her room, she thanked the Captain, wished him goodnight, then collapsed on her bed exhausted and fell asleep at once.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

623 70 13
*NONE OF THESE CHARACTERS ARE OWNED BY ME, THEY ARE OWNED BY NINTENDO ALL RIGHTS ARE RESERVED FOR THEM.* *****The cover for my story was drawn by @Ze...
171K 2.6K 184
An AU about Mipha's and Link's life together post Calamity. I tried to have some fun with this story, taking it in different directions, developing...
51.6K 589 22
What if Mipha put her love for Link and concern for Zelda ahead of Daruk's plan to rush to her Divine Beast? This story takes place in an AU that beg...
38.4K 327 48
In an AU, on the day of the Great Calamity, Mipha put her love for Link and concern for Zelda ahead of Daruk's plan to rush to her Divine Beast. This...