Rising from the Ashes

By SeventhSam

The four Clans-GrassClan, OakClan, PineClan and WillowClan-have lived in relative balance since the Clans beg... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Chapter 117
Chapter 118
Chapter 119
Chapter 120
Chapter 121

Chapter 103

2 0 0
By SeventhSam

"Excited for your first Gathering?" Hareflight asked his kits.

"Yes!" Weaselpaw exclaimed.

Nightpaw flicked her tail, giving away her anxiety over the Gathering to come.

"Lucky! Finally getting to meet the other Clans!" Meadowkit exclaimed, envious.

Weaselpaw puffed out his chest. "Don't worry. I'll tell you kits all about it tomorrow."

Flamekit rolled his eyes. "It's not that big a deal."

"Well yeah it wouldn't be to you since you've already been to WillowClan," Runningkit pointed out.

"But we barely remember it!" Riverkit protested.

"And some of you have met an OakClan warrior already."

"Ah, Runningkit! You can't still be sore over that!" Flamekit nudged his denmate good-naturedly.

"Well, we're going to meet more than a rival warrior tonight," Nightpaw mewed.

With that, Hawkstar called the Gathering patrol to leave. It was early leaf-fall so the weather hadn't quite changed yet. It was a warm night under a clear sky. Bramblestripe fell into step with the rest of his Clanmates as they walked the familiar trail through the meadow. It was a quick journey to the ravine.

"We're the first ones here!" Weaselpaw exclaimed, standing in the middle of the mostly empty clearing.

"Old as I am, I can count on one paw the number of times that's happened," Beetleflight rasped.

"You know, I can't tell if he's joking or not," Bramblestripe murmured to Honeypool.

"Neither can I," Honeypool murmured back.

This didn't last for long as their fellow Clans arrived. The ravine soon filled with warriors, apprentices and elders from all four Clans. Suddenly overwhelmed, the new GrassClan apprentices stuck close to their mentors.

A couple of PineClan queens greeted the GrassClan mentors.

"So, GrassClan has apprentices at last," a longhaired ginger she-cat observed.

Duskflower made the introductions.

"And are they shaping up to be worthwhile warriors?" Petalsplash, a tortoiseshell she-cat, asked.

"They've only just started their training," Flowerpetal explained, sounding exasperated.

"And you can't tell already whether they'll be good warriors?"

"An apprentice is only as good as their mentor," Firestorm, the ginger she-cat, meowed.

"Then they'll be excellent warriors," Bramblestripe asserted.

"Were we asking you?"

"You've never even had an apprentice!" Petalsplash scoffed.

"Neither have you!" Flowerpetal shot back.

"Actually, I've had an apprentice for the past half-moon and I know I'll be a better mentor than you."

"It's not a competition!"

"You always were afraid a challenge," Petalsplash sneered before sauntering off with Firestorm.

"What was that all about?" Bramblestripe wondered.

Flowerpetal struggled to smooth the bristling fur along her shoulders, clearly frustrated. "My sister always brings out the worst in me."

Bramblestripe flicked his tail against Flowerpetal's shoulder in sympathy. "I know exactly what that's like."

Flowerpetal gave him a look that told volumes. They may have exchanged more but their moment was interrupted.

"Can we go say hello to some other apprentices?" Weaselpaw asked looking at Flowerpetal and Duskflower.

"Of course," Flowerpetal agreed with a nod.

Weaselpaw headed for a group of young cats close by with Nightpaw following behind him. Upon seeing their approach, a big black tom nudged the dark brown tabby next to him. Almost as one, the other apprentices surrounded Weaselpaw and Nightpaw, curious. The two young GrassClan apprentices suddenly lost their nerve, pressing against each other for comfort.

"You must be new," the dark brown tabby tom meowed. Bramblestripe recalled seeing him at previous Gatherings. He was a PineClan apprentice by the name of Snakepaw. He was near the end of his apprenticeship if he hadn't already been promoted. "How long have you two been training?"

"Only a quarter moon," Weaselpaw answered.

"So what are your names?"

Weaselpaw introduced himself and Nightpaw.

"How do you like training so far?" another brown tabby tom with green eyes asked.

Weaselpaw and Nightpaw exchanged a look.

"Well, I didn't realize just how much work it is!" Weaselpaw confessed. "I mean, one patrol and I'm worn out."

The brown tabby gave Weaselpaw a sympathetic look. "Yeah, I remember how tough training was at first. But don't worry, it gets better."

"It's not all bad." Nightpaw spoke up for the first time. "I like being able to help care for my Clan at last."

Just when Bramblestripe was about to move off, trusting GrassClan's apprentices would be fine, trouble brewed.

"Pathetic!" another brown tabby with white chest and paws scoffed.

Weaselpaw whipped his head around. "What did you say?"

"You heard me," the young tom challenged, ambers eyes sparkling with malice. "You two are pathetic but that's to be expected from GrassClan. Every cat knows you're the weakest Clan."

"What?!" Weaselpaw growled and Bramblestripe knew it was time to intervene.

"Is there a problem here?"

Half the apprentices scattered and the rest looked away guiltily except for the brazen young tom that had started the issue. Unsurprisingly, he smelled of PineClan.

"Maybe," the young apprentice muttered.

"You're all still apprentices so let me fill you in on something you may not know. It is forbidden to fight at a Gathering. The full moon," Bramblestripe meowed, flicking his tail up to it for emphasis, "is a symbol of peace for all the Clans. If you can't do that then you don't belong in the ravine."

"You can't tell me what to do!" the PineClan apprentice hissed.

"But I can!" Snakepaw snapped. "Much as I hate to agree with a rival warrior, he's right. Go sit with your mentor, Houndpaw and stop embarrassing PineClan with your insolence."

Unable to argue, Houndpaw slunk away.

Snakepaw nodded to Bramblestripe before following after his disgruntled denmate.

Bramblestripe was surprised by this show of support but he was thankful the issue had been resolved. With a flick of his tail, he led Weaselpaw and Nightpaw away.

"What was that tom's problem?" Weaselpaw asked.

"That's PineClan for you, always spoiling for a fight," Bramblestripe meowed.

The three of them settled down with a good view of the Mossy Log.

"Do you remember your first Gathering?" Nightpaw asked, looking at Bramblestripe.

"Yes, yes I do," Bramblestripe meowed.

He'd been apprenticed for less than a moon. Thornpaw had pushed him down the slope and-not expecting it-had been unable to catch himself. He tumbled all the way down and landed hard, the breath knocked out of him. Worse, he'd severely sprained one forepaw and had to be escorted back to camp by both Dawnbreeze-the medicine cat before Sunstripe-and his mentor Brackenwhisker. He'd had to stay in the medicine den for a quarter moon. Of course, he wasn't going to tell Nightpaw that.

"Now quiet. The Gathering's about to begin."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

467 12 24
What happens when instead of three cats being chosen for a prophecy, what if six cats were chosen? Six cats, four clans, and one big danger. (This is...
898 4 22
Book 5 in the Warriors: Falling Stars series. "Darkness will veil the sky, but with the whispering voice of two, the forest, as one, will echo with l...
331 56 30
Leopardwillow has always wanted an apprentice from the moment she was an apprentice herself to the moment she became a warrior... There was one excep...
9.8K 891 33
To a loner named Sun, life's been hard ever since her mother left her because of a power she didn't understand. On her own for just about three moons...