The Open Coffin: Prelude to M...

By XelaJR_57

A congressional candidate is murdered, and the next target is his political rival. Police Detective Homer Alm... More

The Open Coffin: Prelude to Murder
CHAPTER 1
CHAPTER 2
CHAPTER 3
CHAPTER 4
CHAPTER 5
CHAPTER 6
CHAPTER 7
CHAPTER 9
CHAPTER 10
CHAPTER 11
CHAPTER 12
CHAPTER 13
CHAPTER 14
CHAPTER 15
CHAPTER 16
CHAPTER 17
CHAPTER 18
CHAPTER 19
CHAPTER 20
CHAPTER 21
CHAPTER 22
CHAPTER 23
CHAPTER 24
CHAPTER 25
CHAPTER 26
CHAPTER 27
CHAPTER 28
CHAPTER 29
CHAPTER 30
CHAPTER 31

CHAPTER 8

50 16 2
By XelaJR_57

Back to his office, Homer analyzed the current status of the case. He took his note pad and wrote some questions, and after each question was a probable answer.

Question1. Does Drigo Mangahas have something to do with Conrado's murder?

Answer: Probably yes.

Question 2. Is Drigo connected with Victor and Vincent Camba?

Answer: Probably yes.

Question 3. So, are the murders of Casimero and Conrado related?

Answer: Probably yes.

Question 4. In what way?

Answer: Conrado's motorbike was used by the killers (of Casimero).

These questions were Homer's basis in gathering facts and evidences. He reasoned out that if he got Drigo and proved that Drigo had connection with Victor and Vincent, then he could crack the Casimero murder case, and eventually save Glenn Buencamino's skin. Conrado's motorcycle could be the key to the solution of the case.

Now to show the connections of the people involved in the case, Homer sketched the following diagram: Two rectangles were drawn. One rectangle contained Casimero's name; the other contained Manansala's. Both were marked Murder Victim. Beneath Casimero's rectangle was another rectangle bearing the names of Victor and Vincent. A line also connected Casimero's rectangle and the Camba brothers' rectangle. Beside the Camba brothers' rectangle and just beneath Manansala's rectangle was another rectangle bearing the name of Drigo Mangahas. Drigo's rectangle was connected to the Camba brothers' and Manansala's rectangle with lines. Finally, Drigo's rectangle was also connected to Casimero's. Thus, all four rectangles were interconnected.

As Homer studied intently the diagram, the more he was convinced that somehow Drigo Mangahas had a connection with the Casimero murder and that Manansala's motorcycle was the link between Drigo and the Camba brothers. Homer argued that if he got Drigo, then everything would fall into place. So the first step in solving the case was to track down Drigo. If Homer could prove beyond any iota doubt that Drigo was working for Victor and Vincent (as a runner, most probably), then it would be easier for him to get the Camba brothers, most especially if Drigo would sing like a canary!

He took his phone out of his pocket and dialed David Arceo's number. After four or five rings, Arceo's voice came through, "Hello, Homer. What's up, Buddy?"a'

"Can you do me favor?" Homer said.

"Sure. What's that?" David asked.

"Can you locate the whereabout of this guy Drigo Mangahas. I think he's from Calasiao."

"What about this guy?" David again asked.

"Remember the Manansala guy who was murdered in April 7 and whose motorcycle was found abandoned in a ricefield?" Homer answered David's question with a question.

"Yeah, I remember him. Does this Drigo guy have to do with Manansala's murder?"

"Well, I've talked to Manansala's wife, and she told me that a few days before her husband's murder, Drigo called him on purpose of renting Manansala's motorcycle because some friends of his were looking for a motorcycle to rent. Apparently, Manansala refused, most probably because he smelled something fishy. Then on the morning of April 7, Drigo called Manansala again, making the same offer. Of course, Manansala turned down the offer. Their conversation was recorded in Manansala's cellphone." Homer explained.

"You think Drigo is now a suspect?" David Arceo asked.

"Yes. Definitely," was Homer's reply.

"Okay, buddy. I'll what I can to locate Drigo. Our resources are at your disposal, buddy," Arceo said.

"Thanks, buddy. I owe you one," Homer said gratefully, then he hanged up.

There was some sense of relief radiating from Homer's face. At least by now, he could see a faint light at the end of the tunnel. There's some reason for him to celebrate.

But three days later, he received a bad news from Arceo. Homer was preparing to go to his office when Arceo called him.

"I've got a bad news for you, Buddy," he said, "Drigo's dead!"

"What?" Homer couldn't believe his ears. He felt as if the world crumbled on his shoulder. He thought that he was getting closer in cracking the Casimero case, but now it looked like he was back to square one.

"What happened?" Homer asked.

"Accident. His car rammed an electric post. Apparently, he had too much alcohol. It's a case of driving under the influence of alcohol. He was taken to Region 1 Medical Center, but was DOA," David pointed out.

Homer just sighed, and was speechless for a moment.

David's voice came through, "Homer, are you alright?"

"Yeah. I'm okay. Thanks for the information anyway."

"So, what's your next step now?"

"I don't know. You tell me, buddy," Homer's voice sounded pleading.

David thought for a while. Then he said, "Okay, here's what we're going to do. But you need to come down here so that I can fully explain to you the details. Is that okay with you buddy?"

" I got that buddy. I'll be there as fast as my car can go. Thanks, David," Homer said.

"Come on. What are friends for? Besides, we're brothers in the profession. Okay, I've gotta go," and David hanged up.

It took only fifteen minutes for Homer to drive to Calasiao PNP. Traffic in Urdaneta was still light at 7 o'clock in the morning. And Homer was thankful for that.

When he was seated before Arceo's desk, Homer exclaimed, "Jesus Christ, this is terrible, buddy!"

"Well, let's get down to business," Arceo said, "I have here a copy of the video of the accident. It was taken by a CCTV camera installed near the scene of the accident."

The copy was saved in Arceo's USB. He plug it in the computer's USB port, and a few seconds later, the video appeared. A speeding car was shown zigzagging, and as it swerved to the right and rammed against an electric post. The collision caused the car to move backward. An incoming bus hit the car's end, and slammed the car back against the post.

"Holy shit!" Homer exclaimed.

"Rescuers who pulled Drigo out of the wreck said that he was reeking with alcohol. Apparently, Drigo fall asleep while driving that's why he lost control of his car," Arceo explained.

"Where was he heading to?" Homer asked.

"Actually he was negotiating the Arellano-Bani Avenue in Dagupan City," Arceo replied. "He was on his way to Bonoan Gueset. He and his live-in partner live there."

"Where or from whom did you get these pieces of information, and this video?" Homer wanted

to know although he knew how resourceful and well-connected to law enforcement agencies his friend was.

"From my friend Major Allan John Surat," David replied.

Homer knew personally Major Surat, the PNP Chief of Dagupan City. Police major Surat, a native of Locao District, Dagupan City, was a product of the Philippine Police Academy. As first lieutenant, he was first assigned at the intelligence division of IRPO (Ilocos Region Police Organization? Based in San Fernando, La Union. He remained in that post for almost three years until he was promoted to the rank of captain, and was assigned Station Commander at PNP Sison. Two years later, he was promoted major and was designated PNP Chief at Dagupan City.

Homer sighed and shook his head. He was thinking what he would do next. The man who could shed light to the Casimero murder case was dead. So he was back to square one, and that was frustrating. He felt like a runner who thought that he was nearing the finish line only to find out that it wasn't no longer there.

Then he looked at Arceo and said, "You said you have an idea. What is it, Buddy?"

Arceo took a pack of cigarette from his desk's drawer, drew one stick and offered one to Homer who said thanks as he shook his head. He lit a cigarette, blew a cloud of smoke, then he said, "We pay a visit to Drigo's live-in partner, but we have to coordinate first with the Dagupan police. You know, Dagupan is out of our jurisdiction, and we can't just stick our noses there doing some sleuthing. Don't worry, the PNP Chief of Dagupan is a friend of mind. He will be very cooperative." Arceo paused for a while then continued, "I have a haunch that Drigo's live-in partner knows something about her partner's activities."

Homer mused for a while. Then he said, "Yeah, I think you are right. That's the best point to start with. When do we start?"

"I'll contact first Chief Major Allan John Surat. Most probably, we can start tomorrow," Arceo replied.

"Thanks, David. I really owe you one. Don't worry, when this goddamned case is over, I'll make it up with you," Homer placed his arm on David's shoulder—a gesture of showing his great appreciation.

"Hey, what are friends for," David laughed.

Homer's confidence rose; now the great David Arceo was on his side.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

35K 3.2K 28
Unjustly accused of murder, the Demon of Wrath joins forces with the Archangel of Justice to find the true culprit. ____ Sannarah lives from one dead...
278 30 11
NYPD Homicide cop Daniel LaRusso has been chasing a serial killer for years, but with no luck. When a murder committed in a small town in California...
45K 1K 32
Somebody murdered and threatened a prominent figure that could cause a great rift between countries, and it's Lt. Eve Dallas task to capture the perp...
Code Of Dishonor By autiejoi

Mystery / Thriller

162 7 13
After, her boyfriend was shot to death by two police officers a detective goes to extreme measures to get back at the police department for killing h...