Consuming Fire

By IsabellaModra

*AVAILABLE ON AMAZON* The third in the ROUGE series ... 'The true heroes are the ones who have courage, even... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Reviews
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 34 (copy)
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Hunger
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Epilogue (Part 1)
Epilogue (Part 2)
The End
Interview with the Author
COMPETITION - CLOSED
THE WINNERS

Chapter 12

2.8K 252 6
By IsabellaModra

"Have you travelled through time before Ryo?"

The girl looked at Joshua with blank eyes. They were all gathered in the living room just minutes after Jenny, Eli and Zac left. "Yes."

"And you can teleport as well, correct?"

Ryo gave a curt nod.

"Okay. When was the first time you travelled?"

"When I was nine."

"And did you practice travelling until you were captured?"

Ryo stared at Joshua for a long time. It was unnerving - he'd never met someone so young who could make him feel as if she knew something about him that no one else did. Ryo's face remained a mask of complete emotionlessness.

"Ryo?" said Fearne encouragingly. "You should tell him the truth. It could help him understand how to train you."

Ryo bit the corner of her lip and nodded. "Alright. When I first discovered what I could do, I was a young child. I didn't know of the consequences and I didn't tell anyone who could help me.

"I went back in time to save my father from an accident that took his life when I was eight. I was lucky not to get lost, but it worked and my family was happy and together again. Then ... a week later my older sister was killed by one of my father's business associates because my father broke a deal he made with a wealthy colleague. My sister was perfectly healthy. She was engaged. In saving my father, I changed the course of life as it should have been. I killed my sister."

The room was left in bitter silence for Ryo's loss. Joshua didn't deal with sad stories very well. He looked down at the ground.

"Ryo, I'm so sorry," said Chantal with tears in her eyes. "I didn't know."

"Me neither," said Benji.

"It's okay," said Ryo. "I realized then that I was not granted this gift to change the fate of others, and I stopped time travelling completely. I forgot how. Dr. Wolfe couldn't make me do it either."

"That's probably a good thing," said Joshua. "Your ability is one of the most dangerous and useful powers there is. You can change the course of time and re-write history."

"But I won't. And I don't know how I can help you. Besides, you know nothing about my powers."

"Will this help?" asked Marcus from behind them. He handed Joshua an old manila folder creased at the edges. It was labelled '0544 Wasushi, Ryo'.

"Where did you get this?" asked Joshua as he flipped through the pages filled with hand-written notes and equations.

"In Dr. Rosenthal's office," he replied. "We've been looking in there since we arrived, trying to find answers. Instead we found copies of our files. But we don't understand them. Maybe you can."

Joshua nodded, his eyes wide as he skimmed through the information. The knowledge Dr. Rosenthal had acquired on Ryo would be a most valuable tool in training her, and in training all of them. Joshua's smile widened. This was the answer to understanding their abilities. This was also Dr. Wolfe's answer to complete power.

Joshua looked up at their young and innocent faces all eager for his help and ran a hand over his mouth. It wouldn't be easy, but it was going to work. It had to work.

"Okay." He took a deep breath in and exhaled. "I'm going to study these notes so that I can better understand you and your abilities. Tomorrow we'll start your training, Ryo. We'll begin by getting you to jump only a few feet, just enough to practice with. You won't need to go through time to get Hunter out, but you may need to go blindly."

"Not completely," said Fearne with a smile. "You'll have me to guide you."

"Exactly. And before we start tomorrow morning, Ryo, I need you to do something for me."

"What?"

"Go for a walk. Clear your mind. Try to forget what happened to your family and focus on the present. You're right; you were not granted this gift to change the fate of others. You were granted it to change your own. Will your fate be to survive? Or will it be to live the way you were created to live, and to use every talent to which you were entrusted?"

Ryo's black eyes sparkled as she nodded.

"That's deep man," said Marcus.

"It is," said Joshua. "And for everyone else ... I think it's time for bed."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

809 1 23
Queen Emalia is beautiful but has taken over the throne and is a cruel leader, willing to stop at nothing. With her powers, she kills anyone in her w...
13.1K 485 14
Disclaimer: I dont own the flash or music or pictures.
6.7K 571 18
"I've tried telling them I'm only fifteen. That no sane government would force a boy my age to fight crime. 'But Max, you're a superhero! Isn't this...
464K 66.1K 60
Little Sember stole readers' hearts in "Siena." Join her now, ten years later, as she embarks on a quest of her own to save her people, and to finall...