30 Days | (ONC 2022) ✓

By PritongManokens

[COMPLETED] Elliot wants to win the war. An unresolved conflict from the past led Angels and Demons to be at... More

Author's Note
Chapter 2: The True Beginning
Chapter 3: In a Blink of an Eye
Chapter 4: The End Yet Again (8k)
Chapter 5: Week One Again?!
Chapter 6: Shattered Glass
Chapter 7: A Memory
Chapter 8: That Wasn't There Before
Chapter 9: I'm Starting To Hate Titles
Chapter 10: Know More About You
Chapter 11: An Interlude
Chapter 12: Highway To Hell (20k)
Chapter 13: Curiosity Killed The Angel
Chapter 14: Stairway To Heaven
Chapter 15: Bonds Made and Broken
Chapter 16: A New Era
Chapter 17: Shattered Heart
Chapter 18: Caught in the Act
Chapter 19: Fallen Down
Chapter 20: Second Chances
Chapter 21: Will This Be the Last?
Chapter 22: You and I, We've Been Through It All
Chapter 23: Is It Time to Say Goodbye?
Chapter 24: Dry Your Eye
Chapter 25: Is It Time to Let Go?
Chapter 26: Apart We Grow
Chapter 27: Friends, 'Til the End
Author's Note
Extras: Fun Facts and Memes
Extras: Art

Chapter 1: An End of A Beginning (2k)

257 36 113
By PritongManokens

December 30, 00XX

Elliot was falling through the sky.

The sun was warm against his skin, the wind tossing his wild brown curls in the air. Despite being suspended way up in the sky, he didn't feel any fear. Instead, what came was the thrilling sensation he looked forward to every time he went out to fly.

He couldn't help but smile. As always, the feeling never got old.

The clouds parted to reveal the fierce battle that was playing out below. Two sides in a war, fighting to push each other back.

The bright glare of the halo around his head prevented him from seeing clearly, but it was apparent who the victors were going to be. The way one side had pushed back the other.

The angels had fallen on those sinners like the wrath of God, but the demons were resolute. Their best defenders were holding back our men with all their might. It would only be a matter of time before they fell.

He swooped around the sky, pretending to lay on his back as one would on a hammock while surveying the fighting. When one was assigned to keep watch for any nasty surprises in the rear, things could get pretty dull. Angels were ruthlessly disintegrating Demons left and right. Arrows came and pelted them like a shower of bullets. Swords and spears were covered in ash from the number of enemies they'd faced.

Even the dullest of minds could tell that the Demons were no match for their kind.

He wanted to sigh on their behalf but kept to himself. If they had controlled themselves from the start, this gruesome war wouldn't be happening as it does now.

Suddenly, a bright light shone itself in his eyes and momentarily threw him off balance. He blinked rapidly, blocking and shooing it away with his forearm before noticing the mischievous raven-haired angel who cast it from down below.

He frowned. A signal? This was new.

Elliot spread his wings and let the wind carry him. Dipping downwards, he shot through the trees with surprising speed. Swords clashed, and magic crackled in the air. The hairs on his arms stood at their ends as his blood rushed with exhilaration. It's been a long time since he got to be a part of the action.

He landed lightly on his feet and reached the clearing where the battle raged. A few demons were down already, lying motionless on the ground. Some of them looked up at him with fear and apprehension. The others stood their ground, preparing for the fight that might cost them their lives. To see the once proud and arrogant Demon race look scared for once fueled him with resolve. If they didn't know where they belonged, he'd just have to put them in their place.

He raised his right arm and harnessed the light in his hands. Particles materialized and transformed into his trusty sword. He locked eyes with one of the demons in front of him. He brought his sword down with a grin on his face and watched them explode in a cloud of dust. A scoff came from behind him.

"Show off."

Elliot turned around to see the familiar crown of jet-black hair and ocean-colored eyes.

"Zaila, good to see you too," he smiled, looking at his friend.

"Took you long enough to notice I was shining it in your face. You're late to the party," Zaila spoke dryly, motioning to the Angels advancing on the Demons over on the horizon. "The General ordered everyone to the front lines. Today's the final stretch. We've been waiting a long time for this."

Elliot stretched his arms out over his head, casually ignoring the ring of vicious Demons surrounding them. "Good to know he finally has an ounce of sense in him. I was starting to get tired of being assigned at the back."

"I can't believe we've managed to claim this much land in under two days! We should've done this a long time ago. Why did we even give these fiends a chance to negotiate!?" She seethed the last sentence, her eyes burning with resentment.

"I'm sure he has his reasons," Elliot ducked just in time to avoid a blast of fire hurled at him. He looked at the frontlines, mesmerized by the sight. The thick line of defending demons was reduced and decimated. The few that survived fled for their lives.

"Elliot, let's go!" She slapped his arm and dashed forward. She slashed every demon that got in her way. Elliot trailed from behind, watching the creatures fall to the ground.

Soon Elliot and Zaila arrived at the frontlines and stopped in their tracks. The demons looked back in shock, and Elliot smiled in amusement as his enemies thought they were given a chance to retreat. A heavy brass of horns reverberated through the air. They shook the Earth and made every living being shudder.

A rain of arrows fell from the sky. They tore into the demons' flesh and shattered bones like glass. The demons screamed and howled in pain.

"Charge!" The lieutenant ordered. The demons tried to flee but were quickly cut down by the soldiers that had followed them.

"You're not escaping us!" Zaila shouted, opening her wings and raising her sword. She lunged forward towards the demon but was knocked back by a massive wave of energy that crashed into her, sending her flying through the air. She landed on her feet in front of Elliot, her body shaking from the force of the blast.

His eyes widened as a magical barrier reached heights greater than the heavens and blocked off any attack his comrades could make.

"Run! Get as far away as possible! Leave me here!" The demon shouted. His friend ran off without hesitation then his eyes landed on Elliot. It raised both its hands, and the air grew thick with magic; a blue aura radiated from the center of its palms. Elliot clutched the handle of his sword, ready to attack, when a soft glow emanating from the ground alerted him.

He looked down and recognized the bright runes and enchantments etched on the ground. He didn't hesitate to shove Zaila away as the circle closed around him.

Her defiant shouts were the last thing he was able to hear before the space around him closed into darkness. Instinctively, he brought his wings up around him, a protective shield in case he was thrown off guard by any sudden attacks.

While he hadn't a scrap of idea on how to use magic, he knew what it could do. The time he spent watching from the back taught him that.

The air around him rippled, and it felt like he was drowning in sand. He inhaled deeply and fought for breath. His head pounded with pain as he struggled to remain conscious.

Then like nothing, he was dropped onto solid ground. A gust of wind blew through the space where he had been standing, and dust billowed out all around him. The darkness drew back, and he squinted to make out the tall figure of the demon from before. He noticed the thick wall of black smoke surrounding them like a dome.

"Elliot?" Zaila's voice echoed around him. He couldn't see her, but he knew she was still there. Just not in here with him.

"Well, aren't you brave? I would have expected more fear from someone who has seen my power."

Elliot slowly picked himself up, squeezing his sword in hand. "Me? Afraid of you? You wish."

The demon tilted his head and approached Elliot with his hands behind his back. "We'll see if that holds true."

Once the demon was near enough, Elliot quickly drew his sword and slashed at the creature's legs. The demon effortlessly deflected it with a backhand slash. Elliot fell to one knee, gasping for breath.

The demon stepped forward, raising his right arm. The ground below quaked as if something was about to explode. Then an invisible force underneath Elliot flung him into the air. He landed on his side, the wind knocked out of him.

He rolled over and saw the demon standing above him. It looked down at him with a smirk.

"Elliot, hang on! We'll get you out of there!" Zaila's voice faded in and out. The monster in front of him paid no attention.

"You have no idea how much your face annoys me, do you? Always hopping in to save the day, I'm curious to see if you've learned anything new, Elliot," the demon said.

Elliot scrunched his forehead in confusion. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Of course, you don't," the demon replied with a chuckle. "But I'll tell you anyway. You look like a fucking idiot. Aren't you embarrassed you haven't landed a single hit on me yet? And still, you claim to feel no fear. I thought angels never lied."

Elliot's face turned red with anger, and he raised his sword and unleashed a barrage of attacks. The demon dodged all the attacks effortlessly until he could finally catch hold of Elliot's wrist. He twisted it, and Elliot let out a cry of pain. Dark poisonous magic seeped into his hands like a snake wrapping its coils on its helpless prey. It crawled forward and wrapped itself tightly around his arm, digging into his skin until he bled.

"You angels are so full of yourselves," the demon continued. "Your arrogance will get you killed one day—And it's definitely today."

Elliot had never fought a demon this strong. His magic was ancient, powerful, and well-honed to its purpose of destruction.

"As if vile creatures like you are any better," Elliot spat as he struggled against his bindings.

The demon looked at him through blood-red eyes and laughed. "So now we're the vile creatures? You are too blinded by your hatred towards us to see the full truth. Tell me, angel, what do you really know?"

Elliot was at a loss for words. The demon's eyes remained on him, completely calm. His heart hammered in anticipation. Hope lit the dying faith in his heart once he saw cracks form in the sky. The sounds of his comrades grew louder.

"Seems like I'm running out of time. I'd really enjoy it if I killed you right now, but where's the fun in that." He glanced down at Elliot and sighed. "I'll do it next time. They never remember anyway." The barrier shattered, and light seeped into this hell. Zaila's distant war cry pierced through the air. Her sword came into view and sliced the demon's head clean off. Elliot gasped, regaining his breath as the fresh air of the world refilled his lungs.

"Are you alright, Elliot?! Your arm!" Zaila exclaimed. She ran towards Elliot with worry in her eyes. The thick wall of magic that protected the last demon faded away. Some angels who broke the barrier came to aid him while the others trotted forward to search for the last demon.

"It's nothing I can't heal. Thanks for saving me," He glanced at the dead demon. His friends were poking at it. Once he was all fixed, he stood up and thanked the healer.

"Soldier, are you alright?" Their captain asked him.

Elliot wiped his face and nodded. "Yes, Ma'am."

"Then proceed, once you are ready," she patted him on the back and flew forward. He turned to the corpse and slowly approached it.

"Is it still alive?"

"With its head like that? Things' as good as dead," Zaila chuckled with pride. "You scared me for a moment. I'm just glad you're safe."

"Thanks Z, I appreciate that." He cleared his throat and looked behind the battlefield. "Come on Zaila, let's find that demon."

"Sure—Wait, where are you going? It went that way."

"No, I can sense it. He was with an incredibly powerful demon; he definitely teleported away." His instinct was tugging him onwards. It felt similar to the binding spell he was trapped in earlier.

Elliot followed the tracks despite Zaila's uncertainty. They flew up high and passed the angels.

The search turned out to be easier than expected. As they reached the opposite side of the battlefield, they spotted him resting beneath a tree. Once they locked eyes, the demon staggered to its feet and tried scrambling away.

"Didn't run so far away, did you?" Elliot's voice boomed across the forest. The demon froze with stone-cold fear. "What? Not as powerful as your little friend earlier?" It tried to use a spell but failed, Zaila dived in and slashed it, she barely missed, yet it was still standing.

"Elliot, do it now!"

With all the power he could muster, Elliot plunged down, sword in hand, and with the final slash, he killed the demon.

Then, a bright light appeared.

______________________________________

Elliot heard voices. Voices he'd never recognized before.

"I never thought we'd meet again," spoke someone in a low voice. "But you're still alive. You're the same as the last day I saw you."

"I may never change. Yet the angel standing in front of me... he's dead, isn't he?"

And Elliot woke up.

Words: 2127

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.9K 302 64
Have you ever loved a videogame so much that you wished you were somehow magically transported into it? Tough luck, this isn't your typical isekai st...
13.2K 1.2K 30
In order to defeat the man who murdered his entire family, Adrian, a vampire, kidnaps a demon to do his bidding - a decision he will soon regret. ...
729K 42.2K 128
[mlm] The lonely Elf had waited many years to meet his bonded mate, but reality was harsher than he would have liked when he finds out his mate is no...
129K 9.3K 51
Angels. Peaceful, beautiful, elegant creatures with golden swords and wide white wings. Powers gifted by the God of light, the angels know that they...