Half and Half

By Ginnyrules27

The Isle was her home. Auradon was his. It was all they ever knew-until something happened to make it so that... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine

Chapter Three

376 24 18
By Ginnyrules27

Boreadon was decidedly not worth it. At least, not according to Mal.

Oh sure, Lady Steph had been kind enough not to carry her through the portal—which if Mal was honest with herself, she was more than a little curious as to how it worked. It was the first bit of magic she'd come in contact with that couldn't be considered for world domination, how could she not be curious?

Somehow, Mal even managed to not fall on her face hopping through the portal. Oh sure she tried to put pressure on her ankle, to show it wasn't as bad as people thought, and then the wave of pain made her think otherwise. She thought that would be the worst of it. After all, it was Boreadon. Bunch of goodie goodies, almost as bad as the Evil Queen's daughter.

At least she was somewhat tolerable at times when Maleficent wasn't ordering Mal to be around her. Her dad was nice. He didn't like being around Maleficent, so he only came round when Evil Queen and Maleficent tried to show the other one up. Otherwise, he made himself scarce, which made him smart in Mal's books.

If everyone from Boreadon was like Daniel, maybe it wouldn't be so bad.

But then came the hospital visit.

"Okay, sweetie, we're going to tilt your leg this way so the x-ray tech can get another photo," one of the doctors said and Mal bit her lip, trying not to scream in pain. They'd been doing this for what felt like an eternity, twisting her leg this way and that way.

When are they going to be done taking pictures of my leg? Mal thought. This smock thing is too heavy and all I want is for them to stop touching me! I wish they'd let me have my sword. Even though I'm...I'm not that good at sword work, I'm still probably better than these Boreadonians! But Lady Steph said I wouldn't need it in Boreadon, that I'd be safe here.

"Excuse me!"

"Lady Persephone!" The doctor exclaimed, looking over Mal's shoulder and pulling Mal out of her own thoughts as she looked as well. "I...I thought you'd be out in the hall."

"Why would I do that when the child I brought in is getting examined in here?" Persephone asked. She had told herself that she'd never be out of earshot of Mal—the last time she'd done that, Maleficent had managed to swipe her from the Underworld which had led this to happen.

So she had stayed in the room—it wasn't as if the radiation from the x-rays could harm her...at least she hoped not.

Regardless though, she could see the pain on Mal's face even if the purple haired girl wasn't saying anything. Four years of having the ways of the Isle drilled into you was probably difficult to shake.

In all honesty, Persephone was lucky Mal had allowed the doctors to touch her in order to get the exam. Persephone had to chalk it up to the fact that, while Mal had spent four years learning the ways of the Isle, she was still four.

There was still that glimmer of trust that hadn't died out—and Persephone could only hope that none of the doctors had promised that the x-ray wouldn't hurt because otherwise, they might have killed any trust Mal had for Auradon before she even spent a day here.

"What are you thinking? Twisting her leg like that when she's got a clearly injured ankle?!"

"We were just—."

"How long has this been going on?" Persephone asked. "Oh wait, I can tell you! Far too long! Why didn't you use a Baymax?"

"She didn't request it your Lady. We usually reserve the use of the Baymax for toddlers or if the child request one."

"Well then I am on her behalf," Persephone said, giving the doctor a look. "You've gotten your photos. Now let's allow this injured child a chance to have an exam without being in pain, shall we?"

The doctor nodded. "Of...of course your Ladyship. I'll go and get the Baymax right now."

"Good," Persephone said and smiled as another doctor took the lead lined smock off of Mal. Again, Persephone wasn't exactly sure what damage the radiation from the machine would do to a half Fae, half Godling but she didn't want to find out.

As well, unfortunately, it wasn't as if she could say that Mal was half Godling either. Otherwise word would get back to Zeus. Granted it probably would at some point since after this, Persephone was going to go request an audience with Queen Belle.

She probably should have done that first thing but she refused to have Mal go any longer than she had to without getting her ankle examined.

The doctor who had left to get the Baymax came back into the room followed by what looked to be a walking marshmallow.

I know the Baymax robots were designed to not look threatening but I thought that was just a rumor, Persephone thought. Even the kids on the Isle would drop their guard around this guy.

"Hello, I am Baymax, your personal health care companion," Baymax said, looking at Mal and giving a small wave.

"Um...hi," Mal said, her voice slightly soft as she glanced at Persephone.

"I understand from your chart that you have an injured ankle. Do I have your permission to scan you to see the extent of your injury?"

Mal bit her lip slightly. "...will it hurt?"

Persephone couldn't help the sad smile that graced her lips as she heard the softly spoken question. That should never be a question a child would have to ask.

"Negative. My scan is quite painless."

"If you like Mal, I'm sure Baymax can scan me so that you can know for sure," Persephone offered.

Mal shrugged. "I mean...if he wants to, he can."

"I would be happy to provide a demonstration for you. You are my patient and you getting the care you need is of the utmost importance," Baymax said and turned to Persephone. "Whenever you are ready, Lady Persephone, I will commence scanning."

"I am ready Baymax," Persephone nodded. The robot nodded and moved his head up and down slightly.

"Scan complete. I have emailed the scan to Lady Persephone's email which was provided upon registration," Baymax said.

"Wait....that's it?" Mal asked.

"That's it," Persephone nodded as her phone dinged to indicate the email's arrival.

"If you see anything in the scan that is worth noting, I would be sure to discuss it with your primary care physician," Baymax told her. "Would you care for a lollipop?"

"Sure Baymax," Persephone nodded. She wouldn't eat it herself but it was a good thing to have on hand if Mal wanted a sweet. Just until they had the chance to stock up on some sweet things themselves. "What choices are there?"

"...what's a lollipop?" Mal asked, cutting off Baymax's answer and inadvertently causing Persephone's heart to break. Somehow, she had forgotten about how horrid the Isle truly was being in the bright glow of Auradon.

"A lollipop is a flat, rounded candy on the end of a stick," Baymax said. "They come in a variety of flavors. For instance, I have grape, cherry, green apple, orange, purple raspberry, and buttered popcorn available for you to choose."

"I'll take a grape flavored lollipop," Persephone saiid and smiled as Baymax handed her the treat. "Thank you Baymax."

"Of course Lady Persephone."

Baymax turned back to Mal. "Are you ready to be scanned?"

Persephone smiled slightly as Mal nodded, her head moving slowly yet Persephone could see Mal's walls breaking.

"Lady Persephone," one of the doctors said softly. "Can I have a word out in the hall?"

"Can it wait?"

"I'm afraid it can't."

Persephone sighed. "Very well, but I want to stay within earshot of the door," she said, her voice soft as to prevent from distracting Mal from Baymax.

The doctor nodded and the two of them went out into the hall as Baymax began his scan of Mal.

"Lady Persephone, forgive me, but...is the young girl in there from the Isle of the Lost?"

Persephone sighed. "I presume that there is a reason you're asking that?"

"It's just...we were able to view some of the x-rays and it looks as though the break came from someone purposefully applying pressure to the ankle, causing it to break," the doctor explained. "Along with the distrustful looks from the girl and the dragon motif—."

"Okay, I will stop you right there," Persephone said firmly. "While she might be from the Isle, she is not evil or whatever you want to label her as such. Liking dragons is not a crime and neither is being born in a prison. She is just as much a citizen of Auradon as I am or you are."

"Then you understand why we have to report this to Queen Belle," the doctor said. "From the nature of the break and whatever the results show from the Baymax scan, it would seem as though that..."

"The adult she lives with is Maleficent," Persephone said. She would never say that Maleficent was Mal's mother. A mother would never purposefully injure her own child. "Make of that what you will but that is a reason why I brought her to Auradon."

"We are legally obligated to report suspected abuse, your Ladyship. And we're not saying that you were the one to abuse the young girl in there but we can't deny the fact that..."

"I know. I was wanting to talk to Queen Belle myself so your report will give me a reason to do so. Did the x-ray show anything that I need to be concerned about?"

The doctor shook his head. "Somehow, whoever broke the patient's ankle—."

"Mal."

"I'm sorry?"

"Mal," Persephone said. "Her name is Mal."

"Oh, yes," the doctor nodded. "Whoever broke Mal's ankle somehow managed to avoid breaking the growth plate. She's extremely lucky there."

"Why's that?" Persephone asked.

"Because had young Mal broken her growth plate, we'd be looking at surgery," the doctor said. "Surgery and months of recovery time, something I wouldn't want to put a young child through."

"But because the growth plate's not broken, she doesn't need surgery?" Persephone asked.

"That's right. Actually, looking at the x-rays we managed to get, it's a rather clean break of the ankle. She'll need a cast though, there's no preventing that—if she was a bit older I'd say she'd be fine with a walking boot but with how young she is? Better safe than sorry. I'll have one of the nurses arrange a wheelchair for you."

"I'm sorry?" Persephone asked. "Why not crutches?"

She might not have had personal experience with the medical needs of mortals but Hercules had explained it during one of her six months in Auradon. Despite her husband's nicknames for him, Persephone always found Hercules to be a rather bright

"Generally children must be about seven years old to safely use crutches," the doctor explained.

"How do you know Mal isn't seven?"

"Judging by her bone structure, I would say that Mal is about four years of age," Baymax called from the other room. "I concur with the doctor's assessment, young Mal would not be able to safely use crutches. As well, it is important to keep the ankle elevated which would be easier in a wheelchair rather than crutches."

"Wait...what's a wheelchair?" Mal asked as Persephone and the doctor returned to the room.

"A wheelchair is a chair fitted with wheels for use as a means of transport by a person who is unable to walk as a result of illness, injury, or disability." Baymax said.

Mal's eyes got wide. "What? I'm not—I can walk just fine!"

"You seem agitated. Are you in pain?"

"What can you give her?" Persephone asked before Mal could answer.

"For a four year old patient, it is recommended that over the counter pain relief is used," Baymax said. "However, we can also prescribe Ibuprofen."

"Please do," Persephone said.

Baymax nodded and turned to Mal. "You have been a good patient. Would you like to select the color of your cast?"

"...what colors do you have?"

"We have several options, such as lavender blush, teal, baby pink, mauve—."

"What's mauve?" Mal asked.

"Mauve is a pale purple, named after the mallow flower which incidentally is another name for the color," Baymax explained.

Mal sighed. She would have preferred dark purple...but at the same time she could say that mauve or mallow was her purple. Her name was in the word after all.

"Can I get that?"

"Of course," Baymax nodded. "And would you like a lollipop?"

Mal nodded. "I would."

"What flavor would you like? If you prefer, I can list the ones we have available once more."

"If you want," Mal shrugged.

"I have grape, cherry, green apple, orange, purple raspberry, and buttered popcorn for you to choose from."

Mal wasn't going to lie, she was interested in the grape. If only because she saw the lollipop that Lady Steph had gotten and saw that it was a dark purple. It'd probably be the only dark purple thing in Boreadon if one didn't count the clothes Mal was wearing.

But then the purple raspberry sounded interesting, more so than just plain grape.

Even if she didn't know what either one was.

"I'll have the purple raspberry," she said.

"Here you go," Baymax said, handing Mal a lollipop that was a much darker purple than Lady Steph's lollipop had been.

Finally something Boreadon got right, Mal said as she pocketed the lollipop. She didn't know when she'd get another sweet thing like it so why waste it?

"Once we get the cast on, we'll need to file the report to Queen Belle," the doctor said softly to Persephone. "It's likely she'll want to speak with you."

"Good," Persephone said. "Because I wish to speak with her as well."

And that was the truth—Zeus might not have wanted to help them get Mal back but Belle was someone who'd listen to reason. She was someone who could help Persephone get custody of Mal and finally get her away from that witch.

At least...that's what Persephone hoped at least.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

126K 3.8K 110
The Fates have had it. They're tired of cutting all the life threads of the denizens of the Isle while Auradon seems to be unaware of the issue. Whil...
57.9K 886 35
Crystal Charming is NOT like everyone at Auradon; So what will happen when Prince Ben and her brother Chad suggest she goes to the Isle for a week?
3.4K 78 17
Once upon a time, long, long ago, well, 20 years ago, Belle married her beast in front of 6,000 of their closet personal friends. Big cake. Yeah, so...
46.9K 653 29
Six months... Is that all it takes to change everything or fix everything? Six months after the coronation of King Ben and the five Vks are still liv...