The English Rose

Bởi loislame0384

Non magical AU- 30 year old Hermione Granger is gifted a bookshop from her grandfather. She meets an intrigui... Xem Thêm

A Change to the Game
Curiouser and Curiouser
Walking Through the Looking Glass
An Unexpected Visitor
The Best of Intentions
The Tree Lot
Comfort Soup
Bella's Revenge
Scout's Honor
The First Date
Welcome Home Squeaks
Another Episode
The Bella Monologue
The Worthwhile Fight
The Story Continues
Turkey Sandwiches and Love Hearts
The Light
Stepping Stones
The Creepy Cellar
Therapy for Two
Closure
Epilogue

The First Letter

478 15 0
Bởi loislame0384

A small bookstore sat in the corner of a quiet cobblestone road about 30 miles from London. This was no ordinary bookshop. It was a special little shop that was a gift from husband to wife. The English Rose was a restorated century old house. The downstairs and basement were converted to the bookshop while there was a living area on the second floor, complete with two bedrooms, a small kitchen, living area and a bath. Customers could come in shop for their favorite classics  as well as talk about new releases that came once a month. Customers also had the opportunity to sell or donate books to the shop. This was the type of bookshop that once a patron stepped foot into it, they would be loyal customers for life.

Henry Granger had opened this little shop as a gift for his wife, Emily. It was her dream to own the type of store that customers would feel at home in and would always return. The store was full of cozy little nooks with well worn armchairs where people would sit and read for hours. It was a shop policy to never kick a customer out. They were permitted to sit and read as long as they felt necessary. Emily worked in that store every day it was open for 65 years.

Emily had passed away a year ago at the age of 83 and Henry refused to let his wife's dream die. Henry being in his late 80s couldn't keep up the maintenance or responsibilities of owning the shop anymore. It was becoming too much for him. There was only one person to task with the job of keeping the bookshop alive. It was his 30 year old granddaughter, Hermione. Henry loved his granddaughter more than he ever imagined it possible to love another person. She was bright, talented, confident, brave and had a sharp wit. She also had a deep love and respect for books. Hermione would spend time during her summers with her grandparents when her parents would travel. Hermione went on holidays as well but always loved quality time spent at the bookshop.

After Emily passed away, Henry spoke with many
individuals about selling the shop or bringing in new management but ultimately decided against those options because they wanted to change the shop and bring it into the current century. The old world charm would be lost. His wife's vision and hard work needed to be maintained. The bookshop wasn't a big opportunity for money or growth but it had enough customers and with the addition of online selling, it would make a nice living for someone dedicated enough to put the time and effort into the shop. Since the store was in a house, the costs came down to utilities and books. The profits of the business went to the owners and whichever charities the Grangers had donated to yearly. Henry and Emily weren't in it for the money. They were in it for the books, the people and the experience of living. As business owners, they could close up the shop and take a few extra days off to spend time on their relationship. Because of this profession, the light never left their 62 year marriage.

It had been four month since Emily's passing and Henry decided it was time to offer Hermione the business. He had called her on a Wednesday evening as he had every Wednesday evening for as long as he could remember.

"Hello sunshine," he greeted his granddaughter on FaceTime. He was so happy the day Hermione taught him how to video chat with her.

Hermione's face lit up upon seeing her grandfather, "hi papa. I was waiting for your call. How have you been since we last spoke?"

"Fine, dear. Doing just fine. My hip has been acting up."

"Must be all this rain we've been getting." Hermione offered the basic explanation.

"Yes, England is nothing if not notorious for its rainfall, dear." Henry smiled at his granddaughter. She looked as young, hopeful and full of spirit as always. "Listen, Hermione..."

Hermione's face dropped. "What's wrong papa?" She asked with her voice full of worry. Henry noticed a change in her demeanor since her grandmother died. She was always on edge when she thought bad news was going to be delivered.

"Nothing is wrong, my sunshine. I have something I'd like to ask of you."

"Oh yes. Anything for you."

"Well, don't go making promises yet. You haven't heard my proposal." Henry smiled at his granddaughter as he watched her furrow her eyebrows.

"Since your grandma died, I've been trying to decide what to do with our bookshop. I've had quite a few people interested in buying her from me. Even talks about turning her into a chain store." Hermione's eyes turned sad. "I just don't have it in me anymore to come here and work everyday. I need to begin my retirement at the lush age of 89."

"Oh papa no. You can't turn the shop into a chain. That would be devastating and not at all what grandma would've wanted." Hermione wiped a tear from the corner of her eye.

"I know, sunshine." Henry sighed and just decided to be out with it. "That's why I want to give it to you."

Hermione stopped breathing, "I'm sorry. You what?" She finally managed to squeak out.

"Give her to you. I want to give you the bookshop." Henry started to explain. "The people who came and looked at the shop just wanted to change it and modernize it and aside from the online orders that we fill now, your grandmother would've hated all of their ideas and changes. I want to give the business to you because I know you will honor Emily's passion." Henry looked into the screen and saw tears running down his granddaughter's face. "Well what do you say? You don't have to start right away. Whenever you get things settled in London. You are also welcomed to commute here if you wish to keep your apartment, if not you are free to move into the house. If you say yes, the entire property will be yours, Hermione."

Hermione sat quietly for a moment or two and pondered her grandfather's offer. Henry could see the wheels turning in her head. "Papa, this is quite unexpected."

"There's nobody better than you to run the Rose, sunshine." Henry reassured her.

"Okay. I'll do it." Henry's cheers of joy brought a smile to his granddaughter's face. "I just need a month's time to sort everything out here first. I'll let you know about moving in or not."

"Wonderful sweetheart. Now... why don't you tell me all that girl of yours..."

—————————

Hermione's entire world changed when she answered the FaceTime call from her grandfather. Never in her wildest dreams would she have thought that he would have gifted her The English Rose. Her life had become complacent in the last few years. Hermione had been working as a journalist for a blogging website and the work itself was fine but nowhere near Hermione's dream. She wanted to write her own book. She just didn't have the proper motivation to get herself going. She had written several short stories and a book of poems but nobody had ever read them but her. She was her biggest critic and didn't think her works were good enough for the public's eye. She had hoped that agreeing to run The English Rose would provide her with more time to work on her books.

Alongside her rather bland work life, Hermione had been in what she would call a stagnant relationship for the past two years. Did she love her girlfriend? Yes. She loved Laura more than anything but they were in a rut for at least a year. They hadn't moved in together or talked of engagement. Hermione chalked it up to the fact that Laura traveled a lot for work and she was five years younger than herself. Laura wasn't in the same frame of mind as her. Hermione was ready to find her forever person and settled down. She couldn't say for sure if Laura was that person but she wasn't going to give up on her. Needless to say, Laura was less than thrilled when Hermione told her she was moving into the bookshop.

"It'll just be easier if I move in there,"
Hermione said, bringing a pot of tea over to her small kitchen table. "It's only a 30 minute drive outside of the city."

"But I like having you around." Laura pouted.

"I know but you travel a lot and you know how much the shop means to me. I couldn't let papa sell it. I couldn't let my grandma's dream just die." Hermione sighed, turning to look out the window. She knew her girlfriend was unhappy with her moving but Hermione couldn't be talked out of it. If Laura wanted this relationship to work, a 30 minute commute shouldn't hinder them. "Plus, you can text me as much as you wish. It's not like we lived together and it won't be that big of a change." Hermione regretted the words as soon as they left her mouth.

"Oh, so that's what this is about. I'm being punished because I'm not ready to live together?" Laura bit back slightly offended.

"No, of course not. You are away a lot for work and I understand that you aren't ready. I'm just saying the amount of time we spend together and how often we  see each other won't change significantly." Hermione reassured her girlfriend, reaching out to stroke her cheek. "Plus, think of how great it'll be when you come to the shop."

Hermione was looking forward to taking this bold step in her life. She lived in London her whole life and even went to University there. She was ready for a change of scenery. She was ready to be on her own. Hermione knew some people that lived around the bookshop. She just hoped that they were still around. Hermione had never been great at making friends and meeting new people but that wasn't going to stop her from taking this chance.

She had managed to pack her whole life into her small Kia Forte and leave everything else behind. Hermione smiled as she handed her keys to the landlord and wished him a happy rest of his life.

—————————-

A routine had been established within the first month of working at The English Rose. Henry had still been coming into work most days, introducing Hermione to the regulars, helping her set up automatic bill payments, showing her how to order the books, helping her learn the online ordering system and helping her spruce up the upstairs apartment. Hermione had told him on many occasions that it wasn't necessary but he insisted. Hermione had it under good authority that he was just trying to spend as much time with her as possible because he was a touch lonely since his wife passed away. Hermione and her grandfather spent the afternoon catching up or just lost in conversation with the patrons until he would say "you've got this under control, Hmm sunshine?" and excuse himself for the rest of the day. Hermione was thrilled to be spending time with him. That made the transition so much easier for her.

Hermione was downstairs in the bottom floor stocking the shelves with some new old books that were sold to the shop. She had already taken it upon herself to rearrange the books to her liking. She wasn't likely to give up control and when Henry said she had free reign to do as she pleased, The English Rose received a tiny makeover. The old arm chairs, carpets, art and lighting all stayed the same. Hermione just took the time to rearrange the shelves and book displays to her liking.

She heard the doorbell jingle signaling the arrival of a customer. "I'll be only a moment." Hermione called up to whoever had come in.

"Hermione?" A somewhat familiar voice had called out. "Are you down here?" A tall red headed girl was walking towards her.

"Ginny?! Is that you?" Hermione said, putting her books down and embracing the taller woman. "I haven't seen you in what, five years? You look amazing." She said as she pulled away from the hug. "Do you still live in the area? Why haven't you been by?"

"Yeah, I still live down the street. I only heard you came back yesterday. Henry told my mum who called me immediately to see how you were. You always were one of my mum's favorite people." Ginny rolled her eyes. She was a year younger than Hermione and the youngest of seven children. She often liked to joke that Hermione was the perfect daughter her mother never got. "She's already told me that I have to invite you over for a family dinner as soon as possible."

"That sounds lovely." Hermione said with a certain sincerity. It would be nice to catch up with the Weasley family again.

Ginny pulled out her phone and snapped a quick picture of Hermione. "My brother asked me to let him know if you were still cute." Ginny shrugged, not seeing any harm in the comment.

Hermione rolled her eyes. "Lord, which brother?" She almost hated to ask.

"The one who has been mooning for you as long as I can remember." Ginny laughed as Hermione palmed her face. "I take it by your reaction, you still aren't interested in him."

"Well, funny you should ask." It had been years since Hermione had spoken to any of the Weasley's in great detail. Luckily for her, she and Ginny had the type of relationship where they could fall back into old routines without any awkwardness. "It turns out I'm not interested in any men."

"No shit," Ginny grinned. "Well fancy that. Anyone special in your life?"

"I have a girlfriend back home. Not here at home, but London... home." Hermione said casually.

"Ahh, I see." Ginny nodded. "She didn't want to move out of the city?"

"No, it's not that..." Hermione went on to explain their separate living arrangements and how Laura travels a lot for work. "It's not like our relationship will change all that much. It's only 30 minutes." Hermione shrugged and walked over to finish shelving the stack of books. Ginny reached out and offered to help, grabbing a few books while learning Hermione's ridiculously complicated shelving system.

"Thanks for helping me down there, Ginny." Hermione said as the girls made their way back up to the main floor of the shop.

"No problem. You definitely have an interesting filing system." Ginny grinned.

"It works for me!" Hermione shot back. "Oh shoot I missed a call from papa. I need to return this."

"That's fine. I need to head home anyway. Here," Ginny reached out and took Hermione's phone. She quickly sent herself a text. "There now you have no excuse. You will be hearing from me daily. I thrive from the power of harassment."

"Lucky me," Hermione rolled her eyes but was thankful for Ginny's whirlwind presence sweeping back into her life. "Bye!" Hermione called out as Ginny turned back and waved through the shop window.

Hermione pulled her phone out and dialed her grandfather, "hi, papa. I see I missed your call. Is everything okay?"

"Everything is fine, sunshine. I just forgot to tell you about a peculiar regular that we have at the shop."

"Go on..." Hermione said with a tone of curiosity.

"Well you see, every month, we receive a written letter requesting three books. The books can be any genre though the requester offers suggestions of things they are interested in at the moment."

"Okay, so is there a letter for me to read?"

"I'm not done yet..." Henry had more to explain so Hermione remained quiet and listened. "This requester comes by to pick up the books from the donation drop box out front once a month as indicated in the letter. Then they just reappear with the next month's request letter about three weeks later. I've never seen the person, they must come by late at night to get the books. The letters are very friendly."

"So, the person purchases these books, reads them, returns them and comes back for more books?" Hermione repeated to make sure she understood the story.

"Correct. As I said. Very peculiar indeed. Though I have to admit, the old world letter correspondence is refreshing." Henry chuckled. "Anyway sunshine, I just wanted to let you know, the letter is in the top drawer of the filing cabinet. The books should be put in the drop box tonight before you close up shop. I know you'll love choosing the books. Have a good night, sweetheart."

"Thanks papa. I'll get them in the box tonight. Sleep well." She hung up the phone and walked over to the filing cabinet. She saw a bit of parchment folded in half, resting on top of a stack of three books which Hermione assumed were the books from last month. "Parchment? Curiouser and curiouser." Hermione wasn't even sure where you still purchased parchment to write on but she was excited with the prospect of letter writing.

She sat down in the big fluffy green armchair and opened the letter. The letter read:

**********

Dear friend,

Thank you once again for providing me with these books for entertainment. I thoroughly enjoyed each one of them. As per your last letter, I assume that it is your granddaughter who will be providing my next three books. Hello, granddaughter. I don't have any specifics for this month but I wish to learn something about you. For my three books, I wish for you to put your three favorite books in the drop box. I, as always, will leave cash in place of the books and I'll return them when I've finished. I look forward to seeing what you consider your favorites.

Until next month,

B

********

"No name," Hermione noted and she read over the letter again. She was excited by the challenge. "My three favorite books? How am I supposed to narrow it down to three?" Hermione asked the empty shop. Her cat chose that moment to make his entrance from upstairs. "Crooks, you can help me. Come on. Help me find my three favorite books." Crookshanks, her faithful cat, meowed and followed her into the stacks of books.

Hermione had searched for the better part of two hours and had narrowed down her original stack of 30 favorite books to a smaller stack of five. She knew she was only meant to give three but she honestly couldn't decide between the remaining books. She would leave it up to this B if they wanted to take all five.

"I suppose I should write a letter," Hermione turned to Crookshanks. "Do you know where I can find some parchment?" Her cat meowed. "Yeah, I'm not sure either. I guess regular paper will have to do." Hermione rifled through the counter and found a piece of card stock and a fountain pen. When she finished her letter, she put the books in a bag with the receipt and her letter then took them out and placed them in the empty donation box. "There, they should be pleased with those." Hermione nodded to herself, lowered the lid and walked inside. She performed her closing tasks then went upstairs to have some dinner and settle down for the night. She didn't give much thought to the peculiar request but a part of her was excited to see how this person would react to her favorite books.

********

Later that evening, a woman walked up to the front door of The English Rose. All of the lights were off as it was well past closing time.  She walked over to the donation box and lifted the lid. The bag looked a little thicker than usual so she reached in carefully not to spoil the surprise for herself and pulled out the letter and receipt. There were five books on the receipt though only three are ever requested but it wasn't an issue, she dropped in a thick envelope of cash and walked over to the bench. She sat down, pulled out the letter and read:

Dear peculiar requester,

I must say I have never seen a letter written on parchment outside of the movies before. My grandfather didn't have any identifying information on you so all I had to go off was your piece of parchment. You wanted to read my favorite books. The original pile had 30 books but I somehow managed to whittle it down to 5. If you don't want to take all five, just pick three and leave the other two. I must admit, I am rather curious to see what you think about the books. I also wonder if any of these are your favorite as well. I suppose we will be getting to know each other more as this little game continues. I look forward to your next letter.

Take care,

The curious granddaughter

The woman chuckled and put the letter back into the bag, looking in to see the selection of books. She shook her head as she ran her fingers along the spines of five well worn books. Her finger ran down Little Women, Pride and Prejudice, The Importance of Being Earnest, The Bell Jar and Jane Eyre. "Hmm," the woman hummed in response. "I'm going to like playing this little game as well," she said as she put the books back in the bag, stood up and headed back down the street in the direction she came.

Hermione had heard the donation box lid shut signaling the arrival of her peculiar penpal. She didn't get to see the person so she had assumed they had left. She turned from the window and started back towards her bedroom but just then she heard a muffled voice and looked back out the window just in time to see a small figure with long inky black curls cascading down her back walk down the street. "Gotcha." Hermione said as she smiled and went to turn in for the second time that evening.

Đọc tiếp

Bạn Cũng Sẽ Thích

236 29 9
━ mind over matter ❝you know you're on my mind...❞ 「 Liliana Granger knew chaos like the back of her hand. It confronted her, challenging her...
343K 10.9K 65
[Dramione] Hermione Granger cannot wait to start her first year at Hogwarts and, when she meets Draco Malfoy on the express train, she's even more ce...
13.9K 532 20
This is a Hogwarts centric Bellamione story that will to be four parts in total when it's finished. This part and part two are already complete on AO...
13.6K 683 90
"I've always enjoyed slowburn romance books. I never thought I would live in one, though." Hermione Granger x fem oc Harry Potter and the Philosopher...