Enchanters: Royal Secrets Exp...

By AMSequeira

Enchanters: Royal Secrets, is a fast-paced, Fantasy Suspense Novel that talks of Elora Bates, the Queen of th... More

Enchanters: Royal Secrets- A. M. Sequeira
Acknowlegments
Chapter 1- Entering the Unknown
Chapter 3- Silverstring Academy for Enchanters and Enchantress
Chapter 4- The three tribes and the Academy
The Entire Book

Chapter 2- The Curse of Eneas

3 0 0
By AMSequeira

Elora Bates- Past

"Thank you" I whispered to the pixies that placed my breakfast on the table. Their wings fluttered in the air, shining red and pink.

A week had passed by, the sight of magic and unusualness was beginning to look normal to me.

"Here, this came in, this morning." Cassiden handed me a brown envelope.

"What is it?" I questioned, taking the envelope.

Silverstring Academy for Enchanters

My breath caught in that moment, the four words sinking one by one. I tore open the brown envelope like I had only a moment to live and scanned the letter.

"Accepted!" I squealed.

"Shopping it is, thenn..." he sang, growing excited at the idea. Cassiden had the best sense of fashion, he was always trendy and had all the types of clothes in his closet- from bucket hat to no-show socks, you name it, he had it. Even in his late thirties, he was well capable to entice a woman such that she would forget the age gap between them, but he still pushed the topic of a relationship away whenever it came up.

"Mom will meet us there. She had business to tend to with the bank." He then justified, "They've deducted 2 bronze coins."

I looked at him wide eye, believing that two bronze coins must have been a lot.

"Oh, seriously, It's not big of a deal it's almost maybe equal to maybe a dollar...My mother just... No, it's all mothers, they like to dig into matters deep until the red flaming core can be seen." I forcefully curved my lips, knowing that this would be something I could never relate to.

We took the same path to the spenua. The street filled with little children running and playing but the most peculiar event I'd witness was of a man wearing an apron with a large spoon in his hand, running behind his son who refused to drink milk. Such publicity from the father-son duo! I must say everyone stopped to watch them before realizing the whole issue and then carried about their tasks. Two women were standing and laughing wholeheartedly, one of them wore an apron, holding a cloth bag of green leaves hanging from the side. A man with formal attire hastily ran towards the spenua carrying an office bag in his hand. Woman with floral dresses was a very common sight here and long overcoat on working enchanters, too.

The crowd in Mooncity was nothing compared to Crystal valley, it was far more packed and had double the drama, gossip, and giggles. A group of little girls were eating ice cream of weird colours, teenagers were traveling on rectangular boards, like skateboards except that they didn't have wheels and were broader, moving in the air. Some were about 1 foot high while some were about 6 feet high. The slates glided with such smoothness, it felt like oil spilling on a surface. "What are those?" I pointed at one of the boards coming towards us, amazed.

"Those are slaters, they're used to cover short distances. Spenua open portals, a direct connection between two places. Slaters are more preferred because spenua are present only in certain developed areas and...oh little people, these models are a kill for models." He said, his gaze fixed on the steel slater, having blue wings protruding from the back, that flapped slowly regulating the speed of the board. "Back then, when I was a teenager, these slaters would move with energy coming from us but now their fully automatic.... You see those wings, they weren't there before, and...now... they seem much more advanced and glorious." He took in a large breath, controlling himself.

"Stop fanboying over a board that flies in the air, Cassiden," I stated with hooded eyes, not understanding a word of or even having the simplest idea of his craze for these things. They were cool but from my point of view, why not just walk the distance? A fall from those would probably be bed rest for days.

"You need to get a license for those..."

"You read my mind well..." I said, impressed.

The first task of the day was to get my pass card from MIC, we climbed up those same familiar stairs, 'Magaime International Corporation' carved boldly, above the double door. The card was supposed to be procured the day after I entered here but the man on duty had taken sick leave.

"What's a Magi-ai-ma?" I asked, trying to pronounce what sounded like an ancient word. Cassiden followed my line of sight, tracing the origin of the question.

"That was the older form of what we use now. Enchanters."

The inside of the building was just as I had seen it before, but the main reception area had an adjoining space connecting to another area, something I hadn't paid attention to before. The corridor at the left of the main area was where we came from that day. Cassiden walked up to the 'help desk cum reception' informing her the purpose of our visit, the lady dialed to a stout man; Henry, and asked him to assist us. He was balding from the front, but a few strands of green could be traced.

"You'll need to wait; I will get your documents. We have three people today in line so would you be, Elora Bates or Avery Khelane?"

"Elora Bates",

His eyes went to my red streak, and a bitter look took over his face, "Okay, we'll proceed to the Imflow basin for your card imprinting in a few minutes." And then left.

"You might have to keep a watch out for Andronicans. A bunch of indignant people." He complained while gluing his sight to the man walking away, pointing secretly at the streak on his hair.

"So, why are there these marks on your hand and hair? What do they symbolize...? When can I tattoo the bracelet too?"

"You must have understood by now that there are three types of people" He indicated his hair, "We are three divided communities: Andronicans, Eromens, and Zocians. Eromen and Andronicans don't go well together because of some unhappy historical moments and Zocians are a neutral community. You will get the power mark very soon. " He pointed at his wrist, reading the desire on my face, "And you need to stop looking for ways to fit in, Elora. That's not the summary of life."

I rolled my eyes, "Is that why you don't stay here? Because there is a lot of hate?"

A strong deep silence prevailed, he was contemplating hard, "No, because the woman I loved, and my father chose to serve the King and died in the process. I promised never to return to this world until the King was dead." He jutted his jaw.

"And what's wrong with working for the King?" I scrunched my nose, waving my hand at his excuses.

"The very same King that killed your parents, Elora." He declared, and that was enough. Henry returned with a few sheets of paper and asked us to follow him and this time we went through the adjoining passage and then turned right, straight into a corridor, passed through many doors carrying nameplates, bragging success.

At the end of the corridor was the door we were walking for, Henry placed his hand on the doorknob and waited moments, turning his face to inform us with a looked of laced pride.

"Magic print access! only a few can access here"

The door clicked, he then pushed it open. From the way he mentioned the tight security, I was already filled with wonder but the room within was dark and empty except for a small square stone basin from which glowing light filled the room. We approached the basin and the man continued to speak roughly like he had done the introduction a hundred times and no longer found it fascinating.

"This is the Imflow basin."

We gathered around the basin, its depth was about half a foot, filled with water. The base was covered with pebble-like structures and seaweeds surrounded the sides, All the pieces in it glowed.

"These stone-like structures that you see, are enchantments. They each identify the magic print you carry; they cannot be deceived. The submerged weeds that surrounds the basin are anti-potions. In other words, this basin prints your true form.". He then pulled out a card from his overcoat pocket, giving it to me.

"Please identify if any corrections are required to your name."

'Elora Scarlett Bates

Pass no- ES21205'

"It is correct."

"Using your dominant hand, submerge the card. The blank side facing down."

Even though the blue water seemed ordinarily beautiful, there was a feeling of dread that arose from such beauty especially after the way the man had described it. Because it is mostly beauty that deceives. My hands trembled slightly as I raised to submerge it.

"There is no need to worry" Cassiden placed his hand on my shoulder.

But even after his comfort, my anxiety did not settle because even though I claim, that I am in control of my emotions, most of the time it's my emotions that are controlling me. But at this moment, all I could do was try and steady my hand, go with the flow and allow the event to finish. The first few seconds my skin touched the water, nothing happened. Then suddenly an explosion of colours took place within the water, causing me to reflexively curl my body away. The colours started forming a whirlpool around my hand and then moved towards the card as though it were being sucked by a magnet. The unceremonious imprint was done before I even knew it.

"You can now pull your hand." The man stated. It was done, maybe I did panic unnecessarily.

"Go on, check it out," Cassiden pushed, I turned the card towards my face. The electronic identification image was of a brown rose. I didn't know what to feel so I looked at Cassiden, He and the man both stood frowning, allowing me to draw one conclusion, that they were both not expecting this.

"Brown?" Cassiden questioned, his lips twisted.

"Impressive, how very Eromen-like! Never in my 7 years of service have I come across such a strong connection between a person and their tribe." The man admired and smiled which was unlike his behavior so far. I didn't know what he meant but my face glowed, I finally felt accepted here.

Henry registered the pass card and handed over the documents and after all this tedious boring work, we decided to sit down in a café and call Mrs. Anderson to split up, Cassiden would get the books, stationery, and other supplies where my presence was not required while I and Mrs. Anderson would go for uniform, shoes, and all the other requirements.

An enchanter, soon approached our table, "what would you two like to have ?"

"Two black fizzes, please," He said, and then suddenly remembered, "Oh, and a dispatcher too." The waiter turned while on his way back, "And which class would you like?"

"Class?" Cassiden's gaze moved side to side,

"Yes, Class 1 or Class 2?"

"What is the difference, I'm sorry. I just came back to this world and.." His face turned red.

"Class 1 is used for short-distance communication, it can get destroyed on the way while Class 2 is also called as indestructible, it's a better-quality version that can pass even through fire or water so it's ideal for any occasion.."

"And then how does the second get destroyed?"

"Sir.." The Enchanter pressed his lips, "The person addressed must sign it, like any other dispatcher and it turns to ashes on the spot."

He agreed to Class 1, since Mrs. Anderson was probably somewhere close to us.

"Okay sir, and would you like it to be Echo or normal..?"

Cassiden looked at the man who sighed, "Echo dispatcher is the one that notes down your spoken words, a voice mail. It reads to the receiver, although that happens only once. The receiver must read it if they didn't grasp it in one go. The normal dispatcher is normal, you write it with ink and the receiver reads it."

"Normal. Please."

The enchanter nodded, relieved, and walked away.

"Quite the changes here." Cassiden mocked inanely.

The waiter then returned, moments later with two glasses of black fizzing liquid like the title it carried, a pale green envelope, and a piece of paper of ordinary paper. Cassiden thanked him and wrote down

'Mum, we're at Hollow glass. Waiting for you.' He then put the paper into the pale green envelope and signed on the place that said sign using his pen, immediately a pair of white wings emerged. It kept tugging at Cassiden's hand, and when he uncurled his fingers and the envelope departed, blending in with the movement of birds in the sky. Would people realize that a paper was flying above them?

Mrs. Anderson joined us after a good fifteen minutes, Cassiden told her the order of things, we then departed our separate ways. The sun was right above, and the street was overcrowded, a feeling of suffocation took over me as I walked through, but the gentle wind that blew cooled the heat of my body.

We entered Diallo's, an ordinary clothing store-making business since 1997, it had a few scattered customers today. We stood waiting for someone to assist us even though there was a sign above a few meters away that read 'Uniform'

"Oh mam' this shows off your lovely figure. How is it that you can pull off any dress in this shop?" one of the assistants said to a plump short woman, flatteringly.

"I tell you; young girls nowadays don't take care of their health and figure. Look at me I'm in my fifties" the last word came out in a low voice, and she then continued "but attractive enough to lure a boy in his thirties." The assistant nodded at her words with a gullible expression. I wanted to laugh at the woman, but bit my tongue and stood, allowing myself to examine the shop, to look at other customers and their assistants. And indeed! business must be blooming by such a façade, it was not just that one assistant, even the one in the men's section on the opposite side buttered the man she was serving.

Mrs. Anderson began getting impatient and called out through the shop.

"Audrey?" It took a while, but somebody finally came for us.

"Oh Mrs. Anderson how good is it to see you again!" the vibrant young woman cheered, she was slim and had brown skin, just like any other enchanter but crystal clear. Her straight black hair had the red streak that stood out. Judging from their talking, they knew each other well.

"You haven't been in here for ages. Where were you?" Audrey disapproved, her pitch rising.

They were so engulfed in their conversation that Audrey hadn't noticed her hand placed on Mrs. Anderson, and neither did the latter; listening to each other with ears wide open.

"Oh well, Mrs. Anderson. Our shop is one of the safest. So, what can I get you?"

"Silverstring uniforms!"

"Don't joke Mrs. Anderson." she playfully tapped Anderson's shoulder, chuckling. The feeling of being distant grew, did they know I was here?

"No, I'm not" She then turned towards me, catching me off guard, "Elora is heading for her first level education"

"Goodness girl, I didn't see you there" she exclaimed and straight after greeting me, led us to the 'Uniform section'. She made crazy rounds around the clothes hanging on the rack, collecting uniform pieces, and handed them to me, pushing me into a tiny dull room, filled with cobwebs, and continued her halted talk outside. The room was lit only by the basement's windowpanes at the very top edge of the wall, I got into my uniform pieces one by one but a questionable concern about Audrey grew in me. The uniform consisted of a white shirt, black formal pants, and an ankle-length black overcoat, which was all great but the size was triple my size.

I opened the door releasing exasperated sighs, calling Audrey because I had to hold my pants from slipping down, Audrey realized my concern before I could even raise them.

"Don't worry about that" she clarified, placing her hand on the shirt first, causing it to shrink to fit me, and did the same with the pant and coat causing them to shrink in seconds until they all perfectly fit. It was fabulous magic; this is the very kind of magic that I anticipate living with.

"What do you think?" you like them? Are they comfortable..." She inspected the fitting of the pant while placing her hands on her chin. "They always run out of stock during the school season, the most comfortable pants we own." Her chin rose.

Mrs. Anderson and I waited in line at the main desk counter. The woman in front of us spoke to the enchantress billing her purchase.

"This shopping reminds me of my time"

"Yes, they do, Mrs. Klein." The lady who was billing, held the clothes in her hand, waiting for Mrs. Klein, who opened a tiny purse about the size of a palm to put the clothes in. At first, their struggle seemed funny and stupid, but then when the clothes went in I felt ridiculously out of place. The last time I came with Cassiden to buy clothes, I hadn't witnessed this magic. Cassiden carried an ordinary cloth bag around, why would he do that? All this was good magic.

Audrey returned with a pile of clothes and started folding them neatly into stacks.

"Now, you better give us a good discount." Mrs. Anderson raised her finger towards Audrey.

"Anything for you Mrs. Anderson, you've got a bag?" She continued, multi-tasking.

Mrs. Anderson pulled out a similar small cloth purse from her pocket, it had a simple 'I' stitched over it. One by one, Audrey began stacking the clothes within.

"This is your blank tie and here are your blank socks," she said, placing them within. "That's going to be 3.3 gold coins."

"I hope it's the best you can give me. Here you go." And she handed 18 silver coins to Audrey from the very same purse.

"Thank you Mrs. Anderson and do visit again" Her voice echoed, and the entrance bell chimed.

"Now, we've only got shoes left and the best place would be Sole" Anderson said to no one in particular.

While paying at the counter of the shop, we found Cassiden standing through the heat outside the shop, trying to hold everything in his hand through the pushes of the crowd.

"Mum, I forgot a bag.." He mouthed when he noticed us inside the shop.

"I cannot believe you've raised a child, Cassiden." She taunted, holding open the same tiny purse for Cassiden to stack books and other stationery.

Darkness had settled when we reached home, I sat by the dinner table, watching Mrs. Anderson lay the plates.

"Where are the tiny creatures?" I asked looking left, right, and then up at the ceiling.

"I've given them some sugar cubes and asked them to retire for the day. They must've been tired." The newspaper named 'Morning Lodestone' that Cassiden was reading this morning lay in front of me. The front-page headline read

'His Highness Crown Prince Riordian Slayholt has once again denied taking over the Throne.

Curiosity took over the better of me, I picked it, beginning to read the article.

His Highness Prince Riordian Slayholt, last night denied the proposal presented by the Magaime International Cooperation regarding him taking over the title of King, stating that taking over the throne would be a violation of centuries-old tradition.

"His majesty, King Maxwell Slayholt, still lives. Taking over the throne means overthrowing the King, my brother that is something I would certainly refrain from even speaking about."

"Cassidenn! Dinner" Mrs. Anderson yelled, her voice trailing off the walls.

Indeed, even though it has been about 16 years since the King has collapsed and lies in the silence of his royal chamber, the sound of his name still terrorizes families and those that lived in his conscious presence.'

"Hey...Mrs. Anderson? If you don't mind me asking, who is the king?" The woman froze, almost opening her mouth to speak,

"Maxwell Slayholt is a murderer, During his reign, he wanted full control over the Enchanter's community opposing to what his ancestor declared. " But it was Cassiden who answered, his nostril flaring.

"Cassiden! Do not speak like that. If he-"

"Why not! He is what he is. He killed him and why are you so calm!" He curled his fist, piercing a stare at her.

"It wouldn't take a minute for him to kill you." She warned cautiously.

"What?" My mouth blurted, eyes trailed from Mrs. Anderson to Cassiden and back to her.

"You shouldn't bother.." He barked, refusing eye contact, and then sighed, now watching me in deep thought.

"You make me realize that time does fly fast and maybe it is time you learn these matters." I didn't know what and why all this pained Cassiden so much but I tried hard to empathize with him. "Look Elora, I know that this part of the world seems beautiful, but the truth is that it is shattered from its roots. King Maxwell Slayholt has been lying in a deep sleep for over sixteen years. No one knows why or what had happened, ever since he collapsed no news about him has emerged from the palace. Suits him, the 10 years he ruled when he was conscious was a terrible reign."

"Terrible-" Before my question could emerge, he cut me.

"Murder. Torture. Pain. Suffering would be the only emotion one would remember on hearing his name, Maldeus; God of evil. The world has lost a lot since then. Partitions between Andronicans and Eromen spread to the worse, and Zocians had to pick sides for the second time in history"

"Why were their partitions to begin with?"

Mrs. Anderson picked up the conversation, sliding onto the chair building the pain of the story "We Enchanters lived in unity before being cursed by the great Eneas, the one who created this part of the world. King Andronicus, the great Scholar Zocia, and Eromen, Aristera, or the left hand of the King when together were powerful. But then Andronicus killed Eromen, eliminating the years of friendship the King had since their education."

"A king, studying with ordinary?" I raised my eyebrows at the idea.

"There is a tradition for princes to be hidden, they live lives of ordinary people away from royal life, completing their education with their false identity and then reveal themselves afterward." Cassiden filled, "This is to allow them to experience life out of the riches."

"Then why did he kill Eromen?"

"Many stories go around but history says the queen had an affair with Eromen in secret and when Andronicus came to know.." She stopped, rising to bring the pots to the table. Outside, the night screamed in agony.

She opened the lid of the pot and the smell of potatoes wafted through the air, "Enchanters picked sides then, Andronicus or Eromen. Those that picked no side stood by Zocia; those that believed neither was at fault. When Eneas got knowledge of this, he cursed us, because he created this part of the world in the hope of unity among Enchanters. This side of the world was created because the ordinary killed us, they saw magic to be evil."

I narrowed my eyes, twisting my lips. We're living in an era of acceptance.

"Elora, when people see that you are out of the ordinary. They persecute you." Cassiden added to my skeptical face. Would people still kill us? Does acceptance only revolve around what is ordinary?

"And what is the curse?"

"This is the Curse." He pointed to the blue streak on his hair, "We carry the mark of our tribe. Blue for Zocians, Red for Eromen, and Green for Andronicans"

*******************

"Is this Cassiden Anderson...The same Cassiden that.." The writer trailed, afraid of the question.

"Yes, the same Cassiden Anderson that died by my hands." A wave of guilt appeared on the Queen's face. Grissa nodded, trying to hide the look of surprise on her face, avoiding the Queen's eyes. The room was soaked in silence, devoid of her questions.

"Don't worry about that." The Queen placed her hand on the writer's knee in reassurance, but she knew the Queen was suffering in silence.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

404 36 10
Second book in the series Evelyn thought her battle was over when she broke from her ancestral bondage and the curse putting the mate bond. Destined...
182K 11.5K 36
Alera lost her mother early in life and was raised by a strict king for a father and the many nursemaids who crossed themselves before touching her...
85.3K 4.7K 52
Ice flooded my veins as the realization of who he was hit me. It must have been evident on my face because the man in front of me let out a dark laug...
98 37 5
The first book of the Magical World series! Life is truly strange. If you try to lose hope, life sometimes gives you new hopes, and sometimes takes m...