Jade (LOK) (Book 2 of My Sist...

Da Califoryoux

Book 1; My Sister's Keeper (LOK) (Completed) Book 2 ; Jade (LOK) Before she met the love of her life, Kitty... Altro

1/2
1
2
3
4
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32

5

38 3 3
Da Califoryoux

18.

Suyin was like my mother. She was one of the few people who I genuinely cared about, and I was sure that her and her family would be in my life forever. I liked the way my grandmother treated me when Suyin was around. I liked how when she had the twins, it felt like my new siblings were born. I liked how her and Baatar came to all of my performances and supported me. I felt like I had a real family, because I did. My grandfather and I weren't blood related either, but that never mattered to me. He was still my family, and that's how I felt about Suyin and her family.

... And now, they want nothing to do with me.

...

"The Earth Kingdom is in chaos," President Raiko starts. "There's a vacuum of power, and I'm concerned about what will happen if someone doesn't take control of the situation."

Today, Raiko and the other world leaders are meeting together to discuss what should be done about the Earth Kingdom. Nothing good has happened. After the death of the Earth Queen, the entire Earth Kingdom was taken over by bandits. People were forced out of their homes, good people are getting their food and money taken from them, nowhere is safe.

My parents had to flee Ba Sing Se and take refuge here in Zaofu while my grandmother left her home and went to Ember Island. The Earth Kingdom is almost inhabitable. If you didn't know what was happening, you'd think there was another war. This isn't the place where I grew up, it's unrecognizable. This is a nightmare! Even Zaofu is filled with tension, and people fear that one day someone's going to come here and tear it all down.

And on top of that, the Avatar is gone. I never cared about the Avatar, because we went years without one, and Zaofu was one of the safest cities in the world. Then I heard about how she defeated the Equalist, and how she defeated Vaatu, the spirit of chaos. Then her and her sister saved the airbenders. They saved Opal! And just like that, I had nothing but respect for her. And now, she's gone. She was poisoned, and last I heard, she was sent back to the South Pole to learn how to walk again. The world needing you and there's nothing you can do about it? ... I couldn't imagine.

"And you think I should be the one?" Suyin asks him.

"You're the perfect person to take charge. The world leaders trust you, and, as a Beifong, you have credibility in the Earth Kingdom," Master Tenzin explains.

What about the Avatar's sister? Um... Kitty! I heard she also was sent back home after being poisoned, but she's fine now? She's not the Avatar, but if she can really airbend and waterbend like they claim, then why can't we work with that? I would love to speak up, but it isn't my place. I'm Su's guard, I'm here to serve, and that's it.

"I'm honored that you thought of me, but I'm not interested in imposing my ideals on an entire nation," Su says. "I'm afraid I can't help you."

"Suyin, I know this isn't my place, but I think you should do this," Kuvira starts.

'What is she doing?' I ask myself.

"Zaofu has always been a beacon of modern progress," she continues. "And now you can share that with everyone."

"What would you have me do?" Su asks. "March into Ba Sing Se with an army? We'd be seen as conquerors and greeted with nothing but war."

"There are already wars. The Earth Queen nearly destroyed our nation. This is our opportunity to change things," Kuvira pushes.

"It's not going to happen."

...

Something in Kuvira snapped that day. Kuvira was raised by Suyin. I had my grandparents, but Kuvira had Suyin, and that's it. Which is why I don't believe Kuvira loves Baatar Jr. That is basically his adopted sister. It's weird if you ask me.

Something didn't feel right about how Kuvira spoke so freely to Suyin. It was forceful, aggressive even, she never did that. If it were me, I would've gotten in a world of trouble. Especially in front of the world leaders, I probably would've been demoted. I never thought Kuvira would become this dictator like she is today, but after that day, well... It makes sense.

...

"May I speak freely?" I ask Suyin.

"Of course. Jade, you're like my daughter, you can always talk to me. Loosin up a bit," she says with a smile.

"Are you and Kuvira ok? She hasn't been the same since the meeting with the world leaders."

"Kuvira and I will be fine. She is understandably upset with the state of the Earth Kingdom, and she's desperate for it to be fixed."

"I get it. I would do anything to make this all go away," I admit truthfully. "I was born in Ba Sing Se, I visited every summer. It's scary to think about how that's no longer possible. I wish there were something I could do."

"I know. You're just like Kuvira. You're so passionate, and your heart is in the right place. I want to help the Earth Kingdom. As we all know, this is my home, too, but I can't just march in there and force everyone to do as I say. We need a different approach if we don't want history to repeat itself."

"I understand. What we really need is the Avatar."

...

"Jade?"

I was preparing for my journey when I hear Baatar Jr. call. Today is the day. I will be traveling Kuvira and her army to stabilize the Earth Kingdom. If only... I'm a spy. After Suyin met with president Raiko and Master Tenzin, I was asked to meet with President Raiko in Republic City about some something regarding the Earth Kingdom. I was ready to do whatever I could for my country, so I agreed.

"You seem worried," Baatar Jr. says.

God, I can't stand him. I cannot believe he's betraying his entire family, his amazing mother, for Kuvira. They gave him the world, they treated him like royalty, they showered him with love. I remember as a child how jealous I was that he was blessed with such amazing parents. My parents gave me up when I was five, my grandmother shipped me off to boarding school when I was 14. He's so fortunate to have Suyin and Baatar Sr, and yet he doesn't care. I don't understand, I will never understand.

"I want to stabilize the Earth Kingdom, and I am happy to be traveling with you and Kuvira. It's just, your mom..."

I have to be very careful with my words. If they find out I'm a spy, it's over. Kitty and I have to gain their trust so we can be put in the inner circle. There's no telling what we'll gather, and I'm afraid that Kuvira is planning to do much more than stabilize the Earth Kingdom.

"Don't worry about her. Once she sees how everything works out, she'll be sorry and come crawling back to us."

"I know, I just hate how she... Doesn't see the vision," I lie through my teeth.

Of course I lied. I hate him, and I hate Kuvira. I think their plan is stupid and Suyin is right. We can't just march into these towns and take over. That would make us dictators, Kuvira is a dictator!

"I know," he says with a sigh. "And I know how close you and my mother were, but believe me, it'll all be worth it. You're like my little sister Jade, and I promise I wouldn't steer you wrong."

I give him a less than genuine smile. The most f*cked up part is that he considers me his sister, just like he did Kuvira all those years, and now they're dating. Suyin and Baatar Sr. took her in when she was only 8 years old. Suyin trained her herself. This whole thing is just so icky to me.

...

"What do you think you're doing?"

'Suyin.'

I gulp. I can't even face her. Ive never been a coward, and yet at this very moment I want nothing more than the earth to swallow me whole.

"We're doing what you don't have the guts to do: We're going to Ba Sing Se to help bring order back to the Earth Kingdom," Kuvira answers boldly.

She doesn't even turn around to face her. I've never witnessed so much disrespect. I want to yell at her, I want to forget this and leave with Su... But I can't. Kitty is waiting for me. I can't blow this mission. This isn't about me, this is about the world. And with Kuvira running around, it's in trouble.

"No! You will stay here!"

"And who's going to stop me?" Kuvira asks as she turns around calmly. "Your security force was more than happy to join my cause. They're some of the best fighters in the world, and they are tired of being treated like exotic birds in your cage. Jade and Kitty begged to join us. Not even they support you while you sit back and do nothing."

Suyin's eyes twitch over to me. 'Please don't look at me like that,' I think to myself. I wish this were a bad dream. I wish I didn't have to do this, I wish the Earth Kingdom weren't in trouble.

"Jade, please," she begs. "I know you want for this to be over with, for this all to go away, but this isn't the way. This isn't you, this isn't what you believe in."

'You're right! It's not,' I want to scream, but of course I can't. I wish I could tell her everything, but the less she knows, the better.

"I'm sorry, Suyin. I'm going with Kuvira."

She looks at me. Her eyes become misty, but they quickly harden. I did it, I broke her heart. She doesn't trust me anymore. According to her, I'm a traitor, a monster even. She hates me. I hate myself. I went through years of extensive training, but nothing prepared me for this.

"If you leave now," she starts again as she turns her attention to Kuvira. "You will never be welcomed back."

"When I choose to return, it'll be on my own terms."

...

Continua a leggere

Ti piacerà anche

117K 3.2K 18
Having discovered her worst nightmare had come true, Aya is still traveling with her older brother and sister and the Avatar. Aya finally got her wis...
343K 13K 25
Sam has been thrown into the world of the Avatar. After being tossed back and forth between the Gaang and her kinda-ish boyfriend, Zuko, she's now ba...
35.9K 761 29
After the whole Kuvira and Tortuga ordeal Lin is frantically looking around the city for two very important people to her. Her son and daughter, Kuzo...
202K 6.5K 30
𝐊𝐚𝐢𝐝𝐚 𝐐𝐮𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐨𝐟 𝐈𝐜𝐞 | ʙᴏᴏᴋ ᴛᴡᴏ: ᴇᴀʀᴛʜ ❝ I'm doing this because I care about the people who need help. ❞ ✎ 𝐀𝐯𝐚𝐭𝐚𝐫: 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐋𝐚𝐬𝐭...