TBATE | Twisted Ethos [Hiatus]

By AzarothVII

Long before the intercontinental war, the unification of Dicathen, and the rise of the great Arthur Leywin, t... More

A Dainty Night(Prologue)
Divine Intervention
A Familiar Face
Man of Intrigue
A Day in Xyrus Academy
Announcement II
Just Business II
Announcement
Coffea Arabica
The New Class
Skills, Tested
Chalice Filled Purple
Festival Of Wine
Expansion of Affairs
Between The Lines
A Night of (Mis)Fortune I
A Night of (Mis)Fortune II
A Game Of Shadows I
A Game of Shadows II

Just Business I

643 38 22
By AzarothVII

||Grey Heirghund||

It was nauseating no matter how much I use the teleportation gates, a feeling that I will unfortunately never get used to even as time passes by.

"State your business!" A guardsman stopped me by my tracks as I walked through the city's entrance gate. He struck the ground with the spear he held and looked me in the eye with much scrutiny.

I pulled out a letter patent that had the king's seal on it.

The guard's face paled the moment his eyes met the king's seal imprinted in red wax, he distanced himself from me as he read the letter which I held near his face.

"P-pardon me, s-sir. I should've known!" His voice was shaking and he let me through to enter.

"Don't let it cloud your mind, you were merely performing your duties as a sentry." I squeezed his right shoulder.

"The King has just returned from his abstinence and fasting from the grand mountains, please do understand why we exercise such caution." Another guard explained.

"You are all pardoned, never you mind." I dismissed it and raised my arm slightly.

It was still early and the sun was just about to rise on the eastern horizon people were just starting with their morning chores with their houses dimly lit and the store owners at the doorstep of their establishments, the castle that housed the royal family was towering over the entire city with its façade being highlighted by the golden rays of the morning dawn.

The rain just subsided a couple of hours ago, filling the city with the moist scent of the roads which were lightly blanketed by fog while little puddles of water scattered.

The wind was quiet and the noises were slowly, but surely, increasing as people started to get out of their homes with their apparel for work.

I turned to one of the many winding corners of the city to pass by a well-known bakery in this district. The smell of freshly baked pastries whiffed and coated the air with its fragrance that enticed all of the passers-by. After I went inside and ordered a fresh batch a distinct mana signature immediately caught my attention to a familiar figure who was standing near the entrance of the establishment.

"You didn't take a carriage to arrive here, sir?" I was greeted by a man with his hair that was stylized in a curtain haircut, draping his temples with white hair he has, he had a square jaw and was built like a bear due to his broad physique, his broag physique reminded me of Scythe Dragoth when I first came under his tutelage.

Aside from that, he was ornamentally dressed in a black suit with golden trimmings, having a matching black long sleeve emphasizing his white tie coupled with the fact that he has formal attire with white gloves which could only mean one thing...

"I didn't," I responded to his inquiry, but left my mouth agape to ask him one.

"Ah, you must be father's accomplice?" I questioned, staring into both of his eyes which were as sharp as an eagle.

"Yes, I am, sir." He replied with a short bow.

"I wanted to take a walk for a while, besides the teleportation gate in Xyrus offers a direct route towards here," I answered his question earlier.

"Would you want me to fetch a carriage then, sir?" He politely asked.

'He knows his place, good.' I remarked inside my head.

"It would be appropriate to do so," I replied innocently.

Immediately as I said this a carriage appeared from the corner of my eyes.

"Your carriage is here, sir." He bowed as he opened the door which slightly creaked.

"Very well." I hopped in and sat by the window immediately.

"Where will his lord be heading to?" The coach asked, looking at my assistant.

"Our passage would be the trading district," I answered, capturing the coach's attention.

"I shall take you there." The coach declared, opening the door for both of us.

I hoped at first while Seconds later we went on our way and the steed started trotting.

"You haven't told me your name yet, have you?" I inquired, still staring at the road and the bystanders outside.

"My name is Alexander, sir." He replied to me.

"You have the same name as father," I snickered, "The demeanor of speaking as well, baritone and posh."

"I shall take it as a compliment, sir." He responded politely.

"As you should. I'm sure we'll have a great time together." I replied before ending my short conversation with him.

Etitsin was an epicenter of diverging cultures due to Sapin's trade with the far east countries. The Qin introduced high-quality silk and porcelain, as well as their culture and language like textiles and religion to the continent ages ago resulting in countless reforms and changes in the tradition of some who dwell in Dicathen.

And in exchange, this continent gives them wine, gold, silverware, and the ever famous slaves, which in turn boosted the production of such raw materials Dicathen imports.

However, Dicathen is missing out on the beans that the natives in Abyssinians are producing which are akin to coffee, a very ubiquitous luxury in Alcrya. As well as the tobacco the Mayans produced which was a symbol of status back home.

The carriage stopped dead on its tracks making me and Alexander jolt from our seats as we prepared to disembark our ride.

Seconds later the coach opened the door for us.

"After you, sir." Alexander invited.

"It would be more reasonable for you to exit first." I insisted with a tight smile.

"Whatever you wish, I shall grant." He politely replied before exiting.

I followed him sometime after, judging by the position of the sun it was safe to assume it was at least seven in the morning.

It was a fine morning now that the whole dockyards seem more active. Some merchants were setting up their stalls, sailors tying up their vessels or disembarking from them, livestock and cattle alike bleated and made noises as they traveled with their masters, carts, crates, and barrels were placed, dislodged, relocated, and stored.

Some were already yelling their wares for sale, some guaranteed cheap prices and some were there to merely entertain those who have entered the sphere of influence of the harbor markets.

"It's quite colorful and vibrant here, like home," Alexander commented as he mused on the bustling scenery that unfolded within our eyes.

"It does indeed remind me of my former abode." I agreed as the whiff of seafoam begins to fill my nostrils.

We walked for quite some time until we reached what was called the industrial sector of Etitsin.

This was a section of the trading district that was exclusively made for merchants who sell equipment, potions, and tools of all assortments.

Instead of the normal customers, this part of the city was filled with the likes of adventurers, mages, and mercenaries who were all looking to enhance their gears or themselves with elixirs.

I stopped at the fifth street in front of a well-ornamented shop. It stood out as unique due to its unique architecture which was foreign to both far eastern and Dicathian alike.

Pride always harbored my heart whenever I see Deutsche architecture that was expertly built to give the shop a stark contrast from the rest of the stores.

The base was made with the finest white concrete that had sophisticated designs chiseled into it with windows that were symmetrical in spacing with a grid pattern for their frames.

Red bricks stacked high and amplified the foreign façade it seeks to aim, with the corners of the building having pillars that stuck out and rise till the base of the roof adding to the depth, with little statues of angels perched on their flat tops and windows the cross-shaped wooden frames.

The roof was steep which gave room for two more stories that we partnered with another set of beautiful masonry.

(A/N: Here's my reference, I'm too tired to describe this shit. I don't think I'll probably read it anyway from a viewer's perspective.)

We entered the shop, which already had a few patrons who were oggling on the assortment of gears that were just eight silver coins away from their pockets.

"My father is upstairs, I hope your endeavors with him will be auspicious." I patted Alexander on the back and pointed at the stairs with my left hand.

"I shall see you later, sir." He tipped his head and bade me farewell, for now.

"Looks like you need some help choosing, tell me what are you looking for?" I asked a man as soon as I swiveled myself to help alleviate at least one client from pondering for too long.

"I'm looking for gauntlets," The man simply replied.

"I see, and my best guess is one that amplifies your fire attributes, yes?" I asked him.

"How did you know?" He asked, dumbfounded.

"Fire mana gravitates towards you," I replied with a pat on his back.

"I guess it does." He replied sheepishly.

"If I may ask, are you an adventurer?" I told him.

"Yeah, I am," He admitted, "A-class to be exact."

I whistled in amazement, "Well you've come to the right place where you can find the best gear."

"I'm looking for gauntlets that have gemstone slots. Do you reckon if I take a look at some of your wares?" He asked, clicking his tongue.

"Perhaps we can interest you with this one, sir." The clerk presented a pair of gauntlets I would consider 'fit' for the man.

The gauntlets were sleek, simple and were extended right to the end of the forearm to give the user extra protection. It was mainly made from Ironguard that was slightly polished. The knuckles were fortified with steel and given rough edges to deliver a more solid punch.

The finger sleeves were made of black leather that was durable and fire-resistant and were reinforced with overlapping steel protectors to prevent anything from being cut.

But the main highlight was a small slot, just before the wrist. It was made to contain any sort of gem that could amplify the wearer's powers, and there was one for each hand.

"Let's see if it fits you." The clerk held out the gauntlets with the holes facing our dear customer.

"Is there a smaller size by any chance? I don't think it will fit me comfortably." The customer politely asked.

"You don't need to worry about that," I replied to him.

The man inserted both of his hands on the gauntlets.

"For the gauntlets to fit your hand, imbue it with mana." The clerk kindly informed the man.

The man complied, and seconds later the gauntlets made metallic clanks and the sound of gears turning could be heard. The gauntlets in his hands gently adjusted in size and I could see his face brighten in excitement.

"By the gods! I am beyond satisfied!" He remarked while inspecting his hands.

"We're glad to hear that." I thanked him for his review.

"I wouldn't be surprised if such equipment costs two gold coins." He said ecstatically.

"It would be a gold coin and thirty silvers." The clerk recited.

"Well then, I'll take it!" He hurriedly reached for the amount needed in his dimensional ring.

"I'm glad you are satisfied, dear customer. Please come back again." I said with gratitude.

"Aye! I'll save some coins for the next time I visit." He said to me.

"Can I ask your name then?" I questioned as he was about to exit.

"My friends call me Absaarali." He answered

"If I call you Absaarali that means I must be a friend of yours already." I quipped.

"Judging by the looks of it, you and I can be great friends, uh..." He stopped at the last part.

"Grey," I responded to his cue.

"Well, see you later, Grey." Absaarali opened the door and left.

"Another satisfied customer, good job." I patted the clerk's shoulder.

"Just doing my job, boss." She replied.

"As humble as always, Alune," I said.

"Yeah, yeah whatever." She replied, chuckling before approaching another patron.

I heard familiar footsteps by the stairs, I turned around to see father who cocked his head sideways, signaling me to come upstairs to the office with him.

I complied and immediately slithered amongst the crowd of people and climbed the flight of stairs. The second floor was as lively as the first due to a number of them inspecting armor sets that would suit their needs.

We finally reached the fourth and final floor, father's office. We entered the room and Alexander was sitting on one of the chairs before father's desk.

"I'm sure you and Alexander are already acquainted with each other," Father said to me, extending his arm, requesting me to take a seat without directly telling me so.

"We are," I confirmed.

I sat down and my father began introducing more of Alexander's background to me as the three of us began a light-hearted conversation. Apparently, he was a representative of House Dowlin, one of our first direct clients when our business was still growing.

"I assume that there will be more to this." I guessed, if they were sending in a representative it would mean that father will be escorted somewhere else. A gift would be too early, it would be more appropriate for when the party would be held as a show-off.

"Indeed there is. Alexander here has fetched me from work. Norock has arranged for both of us to hunt later this afternoon." He informed me as leaned back on his seat and smoked his pipe.

"Hm," I tersely remarked, "You deserved a leisurely father, it would be best if you accepted the invitation."

He stared at Alexander, making subtle nods of satisfaction as he gnawed on the end of his pipe before smoking it again, "Indeed it would, although I worry that my ability to hunt is rusty nowadays."

"The hunt will only be looking for simple and small game, milord," Alexander explained, "You do not need to worry as most of them are docile."

"Then it is settled," He said as he blew tobacco in the air that created white mist and diffracted the light that was seeping through the blinded window behind his chair.

"You can trust me with running the shop," I reassured him.

"I know you can. However, I do have a scheduled assembly with the guildsmen later." He informed me what was to come.

"I could handle that, I have inherited your smooth-talking after all." I reassured him.

"Atta boy," He said, proudly chuckling, "Very well then, I will grab my necessities and head out."

"Happy hunting, dad," I said with a bright smile.

"Dad...feels weird," He said as he tousled my hair, ruining how I finely combed it hours ago.

"I hope your catch runs away." I retorted.

"If it does, I'll just chase them." He responded as he and Alexander left me in the office.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.9K 265 20
And if Grey don't got reincarnated as Arthur Leywin, he is even not the protagonist, he is in this history how a important character, but the protago...
32.5K 1.7K 83
Terrasen has rarely known a moment of peace since it reclaimed its freedom. Following a brief battle with the citizens of Arcelia, a new threat has e...
731 18 10
[Slow update due to school] Arthur Leywin, Dicathen's strongest warrior, was backstabbed by his own continent, dumping him into a cavern and leaving...
8.3K 381 19
The Alacryan siege is over. Dicathen has been shaken from the onslaught of Agrona's attack. However, now it's time for Dicathen and Seris to go on t...