Solstice Souls

By edzooc8r

Two famous clans of the Cultivational world, forever at odds because of a curse, are trapped in a war they ca... More

Bedtime Story
Birthday Present
Searching for Someone
Best Of The Best
Proving His Worth
Adversaries
Invitation
Dinner Guests
Shenanigans of a Drunken Jade
The Duel of Duals
Wanting, Needing
Deepest Desires
Awestruck A-Ying
Hidden Agendas
Sword Seduction
Of Swords and Other Blades
Family Reunion
War of Words
Forbidden Love
Broken Jade
The Blame Game
Two-legged Beasts
Nightmarish Hunt
Creatures of the Night
Seeking Judgement
Mist Covered Paths
A Son's Duty
All Kinds of Thirst
Medicinal Magic
Under The Moonlight
Visiting Friends
Thieves of Time
The Key To Their Hearts
Soul Searching
Fated Sons
Fortune and Faith
The Verdict
Lessons in Love
First Introductions
Nurturing and Lotus Flowers
A Broken Brotherhood
Of Sound Heart and Mind
Punishment
Insights and Monsters
A Healing Touch
Confessions of the Heart
Understand
Dreamers of the Day
Mother Knows Best
A Spanner (Wrench) in the Works
A Promise to Protect
Home Is Where The Heart Is
Truth or Dare
Shattered Trust
The Grand Tour
Know Your Enemy
Waterfalls
Love Is Blind
Weapons, Words, and Worship
Three Beasts, Three Tests, One Truth
Harmony From Discord
The Truth of the Past
Tales of the Past
The Story of Soulmates Past
When the Past Meets the Present
And So The Plot Thickens
Solstice Souls 2: Black Fire, White Flame

Cloak And Dagger

1.4K 166 140
By edzooc8r

Lan Zhan POV

It bothered Lan Zhan that they were being followed.

Two guards.

Watching them, walking behind them, step for step. Everywhere.

He knew the Elders did not trust Wei Ying, that much was easy to understand. But he had vouched for Wei Ying himself, and for all their spouting support, at the end of the day, they still viewed Lan Zhan as a child, and therefore, did not take him seriously.

He had a lot on his mind and perhaps Wei Ying could sense that, because at every opportunity, he tried to make Lan Zhan feel better, even going so far as to introduce himself to their guards. That had been funny...

But the most worrying thing was what he had overheard last night. He definitely knew who they were; Lan Feng and Lan Lao...yet the nature of what they were planning was unclear even if the outcome was not. And it was related to the night hunt, that much was obvious, and whatever it was, it was intended to hurt Wei Ying.

His Wei Ying.

He looked up to watch as Wei Ying perused the shelves in the library. Sometimes he would pull out a book and flick through the pages, smiling at whatever caught his interest, other times his face was a mask of disbelief, probably because he was finding the austere way of life for the Lan Clan a severe shock, and whatever was between those pages only added to his view.

Yet Wei Ying had taken everything remarkably well so far, even the engraved rock of rules. Lan Zhan could admit only to himself, he had held his breath then, wondering what Wei Ying would think. Most of the rules were commonsensical, things done without a second thought and by the time a Lan hit double figures in age, it became second nature. One hardly thought about what they were doing, it was so ingrained. He was confident the rules would pose no problem for his husband-to-be.

Right now, he could not take his eyes off Wei Ying. The young man was standing in a beam of sunlight filtering in through the huge round windows, his face internally lit up with excitement at whatever he was reading, and externally by a soft golden light. His lean body a silhouette of grace, just a shadow of sinewy muscles lending him an elegance that was breathtaking. The black robes he wore only added to this illusion, with just a splash of scarlet at his throat. His long ebony locks were captured within his signature ponytail tied back with the red ribbon, yet like the man himself, a few strands escaped, framing his gorgeous face. Wild, beautiful, his.

Wei Ying was infinitely beautiful.

As if he knew Lan Zhan had been staring at him for a good half hour, he turned the spotlight of his silver eyes onto him, grinning with mischief.

"Lan Zhan!" He bounced back to where Lan Zhan was sitting at his desk. "You seem troubled. What is it?" He took Lan Zhan's hand and brought it to his lips.

Lan Zhan could only stare at him, feeling his heartbeat stutter and stop, before galloping away like a fierce, unbridled stallion, exhilaratingly free.

"Come with me." Lan Zhan knew without a doubt, he had to do something about what he had overheard last night.

But because he lacked the speaking skills cultivated to such expert lengths by his brother, he knew he would find it difficult to explain what he saw and heard. And since it was a delicate yet serious matter, because he was about to accuse Elders of misconduct, the most severe of these punishable by death, it was no light thing.

His brother would know what to do.

And this late in the afternoon, Xiongzhang would be in the Hanshi, and this would look like a social visit, not what it was. So Lan Zhan forced himself to be calm, and tried to smile for Wei Ying. His efforts were not as great as he wished, because Wei Ying threw his arms around his neck, pressing himself into Lan Zhan's body.

Of course, Lan Zhan held him closer.

What else could he do?

"What is it? What's wrong?"

The warm puffs of his breath went a long way to settle his mind and he indulged himself by holding on to Wei Ying for a few minutes more, until he felt calm enough to respond.

"Have to talk to Xiongzhang. Wei Ying must listen." He leaned back so Wei Ying could see how serious he was.

"Alright, Lan Zhan. I trust you."

Those silver eyes sparkled with love and warmth and such sincerity, Lan Zhan thought his knees would give way.

"Wei Ying is trusted." He wondered whether to say anything else about why they were going to see his brother...but then Wei Ying would be full of questions and if Lan Zhan was honest, he wasn't sure how to answer them.

But Xiongzhang would.

Lan Zhan lifted his hand to cup Wei Ying's face and kissed him sweetly, hoping to convey everything he couldn't put into words; how much he loved him, how much he cared, not just about Wei Ying, but what he thought.

In fact, there was not a single thing he did not like about Wei Ying.

As his lips tasted the sweet nectar within Wei Ying's mouth, searching for more, he realised that this was enough. Being with Wei Ying, standing next to him, kissing him like this...it was all he could ever ask for.

When they broke apart, both suffering from a lack of oxygen, they smiled at each other.

"Wei Ying is loved." He took his hand.

"And I love Lan Zhan." Again, he brought Lan Zhan's hand to his lips. "Let's go."

They opened the doors of the library and the guards looked at their joined hands. Wei Ying smiled brightly.

"Come on, boys." He looked to Lan Zhan for directions.

Lan Zhan couldn't get over how brave Wei Ying was. He seemed to face adversity and trouble with a smiling face, never giving anything away about how he was really feeling inside, and thus this was yet another thing they had in common. Lan Zhan's stoic expression, a permanent mask, hid his true feelings too, but he couldn't help thinking Wei Ying's method was better.

"Xiongzhang." He said, leading the way.

He kept Wei Ying's hand in his, the warm skin comforting and real. All throughout the day, Lan Zhan kept feeling as if this was a dream, showing Wei Ying around his home. This, the place he had grown up, with each of his cells breathing in the nourishing cold mountain air, becoming a part of this place just as this place was a part of him; showing Wei Ying Cloud Recesses was like opening the door to his heart.

What was equally as surprising, was that Wei Ying embraced Cloud Recesses with open arms, albeit at first reluctantly. But he was fierce in his promises and Lan Zhan had no doubt he would succeed.

And that gave him an idea.

He kept looking at Wei Ying's face, drinking in the eager rapture on his face as they walked through centuries old stone paths, a kaleidoscope of colours in the leaves swirling around them and crunching beneath their feet. These were the last days of summer and already the breeze that ruffled their robes playfully was chillier than a few weeks back. Still some greenery served as a canopy, shading them from the warmth of the afternoon sun. Wei Ying paused for a second, cocking his head.

"Mn?"

"I...is that a waterfall I can hear?" Wei Ying asked, his silver eyes shining with untethered excitement.

Lan Zhan nodded at his beaming face, wondering if he could love him any more.

Yes...his heart told him. Yes, he could.

"Please, Lan Zhan, will you take me to see it? After we meet your brother?" Wei Ying was vibrating with his eagerness.

"Mn. Today or tomorrow." His face must have shown what he was thinking; he was apprehensive about what they were going to see his brother about and what that would lead to.

"Lan Zhan?" Wei Ying whispered, worry drifting into his beautiful eyes.

Lan Zhan glanced at their guards and adopted his non expression face, shaking his head imperceptibly. The great thing about Wei Ying was that he caught on quickly, and whether this was a result of their natural connection, or because he was just really smart, Lan Zhan had no way of knowing. But he was immensely grateful for the brighter smile that adorned his husband-to-be.

"Then what are we waiting for? Let's go see your Xiongzhang."

They turned the corner and Wei Ying gasped.

Right in front of them, the prettiest little bridge spanned over a running brook, gurgling merrily past the Hanshi. The last of the summer's flowers were dotted among the banks of the water, waving in the soft breeze, little dots of yellow and white and blue.

"It's so lovely, Lan Zhan!" Wei Ying breathed out, completely captivated by what he was seeing. "Lan Zhan, is it okay for us to pick some flowers for Zewu-Jun? I feel a bit bad going to see him empty-handed."

Lan Zhan nodded, equally captivated by this delightful, amazing, and thoughtful man. If they did not have an audience, he would have kissed Wei Ying then and there.

Perhaps that was not a bad idea...at least they may be shocked enough to leave their posts. While Wei Ying busied himself plucking his delicate treasures, Lan Zhan went up to the younger of the two.

"Go and buy this." He gave the boy a list and a piece of silver.

"I'm not meant to leave my post." The boy stammered out, his eyes everywhere except on Lan Zhan.

"We will be visiting with my brother. Clan Leader Lan XiChen." Lan Zhan bit out, exasperated. "Whatever we will be doing will be under his eyes."

"Okay." He hurried away, giving one last look at his partner before he left.

Wei Ying bounded up to Lan Zhan with an armload of wild flowers.

"Do you think he'll like them?" He asked, anxiously.

"Mn." Lan Zhan took his elbow and led him over the picturesque bridge. But when the remaining guard went to follow them, he glared at him. "Wait here."

The guard visibly shook and nodded, looking at the ground.

"You know, you looked so hot back there!" Wei Ying reached up and whispered in his now red ears.

"Shameless!" Lan Zhan replied, not used to this open flirting. But his word was gentle, without bite.

Wei Ying giggled and bounced towards the door of the Hanshi, not waiting for Lan Zhan to knock loudly.

It was opened moments later by an impeccably dressed in crisp white robes XiChen, who actually looked pleased to see them.

"These are for you!" Wei Ying handed them to him after bowing.

"Why, thank you. What a thoughtful gesture." He smiled teasingly at his brother. "WangJi never brings me anything."

"Xiongzhang." Lan Zhan bowed stiffly, unsure how to take his words.

XiChen led them to the small table in the centre of the room, and they sat down while he went to put the flowers in water. He poured tea for them when he returned.

"And how is your visit going?" He asked, more friendliness in his voice than before.

"Guards." Lan Zhan said, grimly.

"Oh, Lan Zhan, they're okay, I don't even notice them now." Wei Ying linked his arm with Lan Zhan's, still smiling brightly.

"I'm afraid that was one of the points the Elders unanimously insisted upon." XiChen sipped from his cup. "What do you think of Cloud Recesses so far, Master Wei?"

"I love it, Zewu-Jun. It's so beautiful! And the mountain air!" He breathed in deeply to demonstrate.

Lan Zhan knew he was looking a little smug and a whole lot proud.

Wei Ying went on about all the places they had been so far.

"Lan Zhan said you have waterfalls! Waterfalls, Zewu-Jun! Waterfalls!" Wei Ying leaned against Lan Zhan, making heart eyes at him.

Lan Zhan stopped thinking.

"I think, given that we almost have the Elders permission for your wedding to go ahead, you should call me XiChen-ge from now on." His brother was saying.

Lan Zhan was simultaneously brought out of his thoughts by a sudden sharp squeeze on his bicep.

"Well then, XiChen-ge, please....you can call me what my Shijie calls me. A-Xian."

He blushed so adorably, Lan Zhan really wanted to kiss him. All over his pink face.

"Very well, A-Xian it is." XiChen cleared his throat. "Is this just a friendly visit?"

"Yes." Wei Ying replied at the same time as Lan Zhan said, "No."

They both looked at him in surprise.

"What's the matter, Didi?" XiChen leaned forward.

"Last night." Lan Zhan took a deep breath. Now that he was required to speak more than a few words, he tried not to panic.

Wei Ying took one look at his face and joined their hands, giving them a squeeze. Lan Zhan felt better immediately.

"Last night, coming back to the Jingshi." He tried to remember exactly which words he had heard. "Two people talking near the Great Hall. Lan Feng and Lan Lao."

"What did they say?" XiChen poured more tea into their cups.

"They are planning an accident. Want to get rid of Wei Ying." Even saying those words tasted like poison in his mouth.

Wei Ying gasped again, shocked.

Lan Zhan couldn't look at him.

"Didi! Those are very serious charges. Are you sure?" XiChen looked shocked as well.

"Heard them. Clearly." Lan Zhan was clutching Wei Ying's hand like a lifeline.

These people were supposed to be his family. This kind of betrayal hurt the most because it was so unexpected.

"Without a doubt?" XiChen asked him again, frowning this time.

"Mn. I am sure."

"But Lan Zhan, why didn't you say anything last night?" Wei Ying wanted to know.

"Wei Ying was tired. And curfew. Had to wait, Xiongzhang in Hanshi. Then only." He breathed deeply again, and Wei Ying pushed his cup of tea closer.

"Come with me." XiChen stood up.

Quietly they followed him, XiChen in front with a broad smile on his face as though nothing was wrong, but his fists were clenched behind his back, so no one who saw him from the front would know.

"Lan Zhan...are you alright?" Wei Ying asked him, concerned.

Lan Zhan wasn't sure what to say.

He was both shocked and ashamed of his family, perhaps not immediate, but definitely a clan member, and Elders at that. How awful was this situation? The fact that they would rather have Wei Ying taken care of in an accident than sincerely welcome him into their clan....it was heavily disappointing.

"Mn." He tried to answer normally, but Wei Ying wasn't fooled.

"It's okay. We can talk about it later." He squeezed Lan Zhan's arm once more.

And then they were standing outside an older looking house.

XiChen rapped smartly on the door.

It was opened by another Elder. Lan Zhan recognised him as the one who had signalled him in the first meeting, Lan Shen.

He looked over their faces, pausing at Lan Zhan's before letting them in.

After they had all greeted one another and bowed, and more tea was poured, he smiled gently at them.

"To what do I owe this pleasure?" He asked in an agreeable voice.

"WangJi heard something disturbing and we thought we should come and tell you." XiChen replied, maintaining eye contact.

"It's interesting that you first thought of me and not your Uncle Qiren." He winked at Lan Zhan, who was looking more and more uncomfortable.

XiChen only smiled.

"Well then." He threw out silencing talismans from his sleeve that landed on all four walls and one rested upon his ceiling.

"That's so cool!" Wei Ying exclaimed and then clamped his hands over his mouth.

Lan Zhan thought he expected to be told off, but Lan Shen merely smiled encouragingly at them.

"Tell me, what did you hear?" He continued in his calm voice.

Lan Zhan told him everything.

"And this comes just two days before the night hunt." He stroked his beard solemnly, gazing at them with a shrewd look in his brown eyes. "You are correctly guessing how much I am thinking of telling you." He was staring at XiChen.

"I have noticed...some things." XiChen told him carefully.

Both Lan Zhan and Wei Ying were looking from one to the other, baffled at this new development.

"Before you go on, do you want me to leave?" Wei Ying squeezed that in quickly.

Lan Zhan held on tightly to his hand, unwilling to let him go.

Lan Shen pointed his laser sharp gaze towards him instead.

"It directly concerns you, and you want to step outside?" He asked, the hint of a smirk resting on his lips.

"Not really, I was just being polite." Wei Ying admitted with a grin. "Carry on, then."

The two seniors stared at one another, neither wanting to be the first.

XiChen caved first.

"I have found some discrepancies in the accounts. I am not sure what the reason is for this, because we look after everyone in an equal fashion."

"I see. Then perhaps I should add my tuppence. I overheard those same fellows talking about Young Master Wei too." Lan Shen admitted. "I wanted to see how honestly you would recount your evidence, and I'm glad to see you neither embellished nor played down what you heard. You are a credit to the Lan Sect." He told Lan Zhan directly.

Lan Zhan could feel his ears getting hotter, but the relief on his face was palpable.

"What I suggest is this: we carry on as normal, let the night hunt go on as they've planned. Meanwhile I will gather evidence against them, and when this is all over, we can call for a hearing and punish them."

"Mn."

"Right...but then, what do you want us to do?" Wei Ying asked him, slightly confused.

"You...must try your level best not to die."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

275K 13.3K 24
This is the first sequel to Arranged Marriage - WangXian!! The summary of this story is WangXian who experienced the future vs Wen Sect. Enjoy :D Com...
252K 14.1K 48
16 yo Lan zhan is engaged to his childhood friend Lan Yi and there comes Wei wuxian for his studies to Cloud recesses with his siblings. Wei ying fee...
73.3K 6.3K 55
A sunny meadow above a waterfall, soulmates meeting after too long apart - this was not the end, but the beginning. Fates and Clans did their worst...
19.5K 1.2K 18
Lan Wangji is crazy for Wei Wuxian. When he saw him first from that time he fell for him. He also confess his feelings to Wei Wuxian but Wei Wuxian n...