Sideline Love (Chris Evans AU...

By caprogersfan

All football player Chris wants is to play football with his best friends in the NFL. But the night before he... More

Introducing...
Prologue: The Night Before
Training Camp
Starting Line Up
Preseason
First Date (Sort of)
Media Day *
I'm In, I'm So In*
Love and Football
Her Worst Mistake
A Challenge, A Fight, A Plea, A Declaration
His Favorite Mistake
Custody
Fatherhood
Fathers and Daughters
Most Stressful Time of the Year
I Believe in Santa
Still Need You
There's A Chance We're Going to Disneyland
what to expect when you don't expect it
Own That Shit!
The Start of Something...
... Wonderful
Sideline Love
Song List

Draft Day

1.3K 46 22
By caprogersfan

For any college football player, draft day is the biggest day of the year.  Its bigger than a championship, bigger than signing day.  It's the day you find out if all of your hard work has paid off.  Whether you could make it and become a Super Bowl champion.  It's no different for Chris.

Chris Evans, senior college football player, quarterback for the University of Southern California, draft prospect, all American.  He is buzzing with excitement as his car pulls in front of Radio City Music Hall.

"I can't believe we made it," he says to the guys in the car.

"I can.  We earned it," Anthony Mackie said, straightening his tie.

"Always humble Mackie," Sebastian Stan commented.  "You nervous man?" He asked Chris.

"What if they don't take me? What if we end up on different teams?"

"Relax Evans," Sebastian said.  "You knew that going in.  We are hoping they won't break up this dream team but as long as we are drafted, we can call it a win."

"Yeah, you're right."  Chris rolled his shoulders and cracked his neck.  "Ok, lets do this."

Chris exited the car and waved with all the flashes.  Chris was a first-round draft prospect after he, Seb and Anthony led USC to the championship.  But Chris didn't let that inflate his head.  He was still very humble and did his interviews as such.  "Yeah, I'm excited and nervous. I'm blessed to make it this far.  If the teams don't take me in the first round, then I guess I just need to work harder to prove myself," he commented to ESPN.

Once inside, there were tables in the back for each player and their families.  But Chris, Sebastian and Anthony had requested the tables next to each other.  The hope was that a team would take all three and the only one who could do that in the first round were the Pittsburgh Steelers, who had three first-round picks this year.

As the buzz of Radio City started to grow with the fans in the room, Chris sat down with a water bottle and put his forehead on the table.

"Chris, sweetheart, you need to breath," his mother Lisa said.  "everything will be ok."

"I know Ma, just wish all the shit from the holidays hadn't happened.  I thought Diana was the one, you know.  And the thought of being away from my best friends is just ripping me into pieces."

"I know hun.  But its all going to work out.  I have a feeling." Lisa rubbed his back.

Anthony and Sebastian were at the bar, hidden in the back, away from the camera. Waiting for their drinks, they spot a woman at the other end of the bar.  "Well, if the NFL has ladies like her, I think I'll do ok," Sebastian commented.

"$100 says I can pick her up," Anthony says with a smirk.

"Deal.  Go for it, Romeo.  Wish Chris was here to see it." Sebastian laughed.

"Whatever man.  I got this."  Anthony straightened his jacket and headed over to the woman.  "You look like a powerful woman.  Could I be worthy enough to buy you a drink?"

She rolled her eyes and looked at him.  "That's the line you want to go with?"

Anthony took a sip to try and keep his composure.  "Well, the suit tells me you are an executive but it's your beauty that blew me away."

"Let me guess," she replied, "draft prospect?"

"How did you know?"

"Loud suit, trying to gain attention.  I would say wide receiver, but you are built more like a running back.  How close am I?" When Anthony failed to respond, she smiled.  "I don't date football players.  But thanks for the compliment." She walked away.

Sebastian doubled over in laughter, not able to breath.  Every time he looked up to see Anthony's face he would start again. "You suck Seabass."

"Oh my god, your face was classic." Sebastian was wiping away tears as they headed back to their tables.  "Pay up."

"Fuck you," Anthony grumbled as he pulled out his wallet.

Sebastian wiped his face again and noticed Chris's head down on the table.  "Evans? You, ok?"

"I'm fine," the muffled reply came.  He lifted his head.  "I'm fine just you know..."

"Yeah, we know," Anthony says taking a seat across from him as Sebastian takes the seat next to him. "It's gonna be fine Chris."

A few minutes later and the opening song for the draft begins.  The commissioner heads to the podium to welcome all of the future players to the NFL.

"The season starts now. With the first pick in the NFL draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers are now on the clock."

This was it.  What Chris had been working towards his whole life.  He was a late bloomer, having taken two years off before starting college to recover from a horrific accident that almost cost him his life. Now at 25, he was the oldest draft prospect, but also one of the best.  When he made it to USC, Sebastian and Anthony were also there to help him, the trio becoming fast friends.

Chris's phone rang.  He looked at it as if it was going to bite him. "Answer it jerk," Sebastian nagged.

"Hello?"

Chris?

"Yes, this is he."

Good, this is Coach Tomlin, Pittsburgh Steelers.

"Yes sir." 

Excited?

"Nervous sir."

Good, because if you weren't then I would think we are making the wrong choice.  Chris sucked in a breath.  How would you like to be the overall number one pick in the NFL?

"I would be honored sir."

Fantastic.  We're gonna change your life in just a moment.

"Thank you, sir, so much."

You have great potential Chris.  We all see it.  Welcome to Pittsburgh.

"I can't wait."

Also, don't let your buddies know but we made trades to pick them up as well.  I don't want you to worry.  We are building the best team possible for you to thrive.  With Ben gone, our focus is on you.

"I'm thrilled."

A plane will be by to get you boys in a couple of hours.  See you here for our team party.

"Thank you, Coach."

Thank you, Chris.  He hung up the phone and looked at his friends and family.

"I'm going to Pittsburgh."

The table cheered as a production assistant went to grab Chris to take him to the side stage.  They handed him a hat for him to put on as he walked out on stage.  The commissioner went to the podium and Chris held his breath.

"With the first pick of the NFL draft, The Pittsburgh Steelers selected Chris Evans, quarterback USC."

Chris smiled as he walked out on stage to shake hands with the commissioner.  He held up the jersey with his name on it and smiled for photographers.  He had done it.  And he knew his friends were coming with him.  After the photos, he started to head to the interview area.  The lights had blinded him slightly.

"Ok, Mr. Evans, if you could follow me so we can get your photos done and interviews... and..." the sweet familiar voice he still couldn't see stopped and looked at him.  He rubbed his eyes and looked.

"Becca?"

"Chris?"

"What are you doing here?"

"I'm the vice president of media relations for the Steelers. I just got here."

"Oh.  I'm the newest draft pick."

"Yeah, you didn't mention you were a football player."

Chris rubbed his neck.  "No, because I wasn't, at the moment. I didn't have a job till about five minutes ago."

"Right, sorry, right." Becca looked around.  "Please don't say anything about last night."

"Why?"

"Because I'm not supposed to date football players.  Especially ones for my new team."

"Oh," Chris chewed the inside of his mouth.  "Why is that?"

"When your father owns the team, its forbidden."

"You're a Rooney?"

"I'm the last Rooney."

Chris was shocked but happy to see Becca.  Her number was in his pocket ready to be called but now uncertainty was leaking into his brain.  He was getting mic'd for interviews.  "Why would your father forbid you to date football players?"

"Because I was already screwed over by one. Can we talk about this later?  I promise I can explain."

"Sure.  Ok."  Chris was directed onto the NFL Network stage for his interview.

Becca stood back, shocked on how this day turned out.  He hadn't looked like his picture when they were reviewing the players.  The Chris Evans in the profile packet had short, cropped hair, clean shaven and obviously in a uniform.  The Chris before her and the one she had met the night before had longer hair and a full beard, suit perfectly tailored to him.  While the player Chris was nice to look at, the Chris she had the night before was on another level of handsome.  His smile during the interviews lit up the room and his laugh reminded her of the night before.

God, she was an idiot.  But he was handsome and sweet, and she would love nothing more than to see where this went.  But her father had been clear. No more football players.  Especially after what Tom had done. 

And as if the devil himself knew what she was thinking her phone pinged.

T: You look good on TV

B: Go away

T: Not until we talk

B: We have nothing to talk about

T: We do.  Don't make me take the next step Rebecca.

B: You lost the rights when you denied our relationship

T: It was a mistake sweetness.

B: Don't call me that.  We are not anything anymore

T: You'll regret this

B: And don't forget whom you are speaking to

T: Right. I'll be in Pittsburgh next week.

B: Good luck with that.

T: I have rights Rebecca.

B: And I have a good lawyer. Don't

Becca put away her phone and refocused on Chris to get her mind off of Tom.  Tom who had been the older man who knew Becca was too young.  But that hadn't stopped him or her.  And five years later, it still hurt.  But when Chris turned to Becca and smiled, that faded away.

The rest of the draft went on with Sebastian and Anthony both being picked up by the Steelers.  Anthony was the last one and was exuberant on stage.  But when he got off the stage and was Becca, he became uncharacteristically quiet.

"I knew you were a running back," she commented.

"Well, um, just, sorry about earlier."  He looked around and saw Sebastian trying to hold in his laughter and Anthony wanted nothing more than to have the ground swallow him whole.

"Its ok.  Not my first football player today, not my last."

"Really?"  Anthony was naturally curious.  "Who was the first?"

"You understand that I am your boss, right?"

"True but since I already humiliated myself, we can be friends and friends always have each other's back."

"Well thank you for that but seeing how you might know him, I'd rather not.  But let's get you prepped for your interview so we can head out to the party."

"Fair enough."  Anthony got his interview done, all the energy that had escaped him after seeing his new boss coming back.  The NFL guys had all three back for a photo and then Becca whisked them to the airport to catch the charter flight to Pittsburgh.

As they settled in for the hour and half flight, Chris leaned over to Becca, "so we gonna talk."

"Not right now. I promise, Chris I have a good explanation."

"I understand Becca but I'm finding it really hard not to be attracted to you."

Becca's heart fluttered.  She lifted her phone to signal to message. Chris smiled and he messaged.

C: Still think you are beautiful

B: Flattery will get you everywhere

C: Maybe a real first date

B: smooth

C: I tried

B: I was burned by a player when I was an intern.

C: I'm sorry.  I promise, we're all not like that

B: I know.

C: If I wasn't a football player would I have a chance

B: in a heartbeat

C: so, pretend I'm not

B: Chris...

C: I'm sorry Becca but I like you.  I just want to get to know you better

B: We can do that.  Just as friends

C: Friends who have...

B: Yeah, that's going to be a problem.

C: Maybe a secret date then...

Becca looked up at him and smiled.  He smiled big, knowing he was wearing her down.

B: We'll see...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

69.6K 2.4K 23
You meet a man at a bar, people stare and he takes you to karaoke. Well, you take him, but it was his idea. You think. You have one of the best night...
5.9K 119 29
โš ๏ธ This following story contains - Mature Content, Miscarriage, Mentions of Domestic Abuse, Alcohol Consumption and Traumatic Child Birth. If this i...
30.6K 997 17
Savannah Monroe knew working for Scarlett Johansson would be the opportunity of a lifetime. After all she had her daughter Grace to think about. What...
1.1K 80 18
"๐˜ช'๐˜ฎ ๐˜ค๐˜ข๐˜ฑ๐˜ต๐˜ช๐˜ท๐˜ข๐˜ต๐˜ฆ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ฃ๐˜บ ๐˜บ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ, ๐˜ฃ๐˜ข๐˜ฃ๐˜บ, ๐˜ญ๐˜ช๐˜ฌ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ข ๐˜ง๐˜ช๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ๐˜ธ๐˜ฐ๐˜ณ๐˜ฌ๐˜ด ๐˜ด๐˜ฉ๐˜ฐ๐˜ธ" - IN WHICH Adelaide Emerson finds love in the chips and...