Solstice Souls

By edzooc8r

Two famous clans of the Cultivational world, forever at odds because of a curse, are trapped in a war they ca... More

Bedtime Story
Birthday Present
Searching for Someone
Best Of The Best
Proving His Worth
Adversaries
Invitation
Dinner Guests
Shenanigans of a Drunken Jade
The Duel of Duals
Wanting, Needing
Deepest Desires
Awestruck A-Ying
Hidden Agendas
Sword Seduction
Of Swords and Other Blades
Family Reunion
War of Words
Forbidden Love
Broken Jade
The Blame Game
Two-legged Beasts
Nightmarish Hunt
Creatures of the Night
Seeking Judgement
Mist Covered Paths
A Son's Duty
All Kinds of Thirst
Medicinal Magic
Under The Moonlight
Visiting Friends
Thieves of Time
The Key To Their Hearts
Soul Searching
Fated Sons
Fortune and Faith
The Verdict
Lessons in Love
First Introductions
Nurturing and Lotus Flowers
A Broken Brotherhood
Of Sound Heart and Mind
Punishment
Insights and Monsters
A Healing Touch
Confessions of the Heart
Understand
Dreamers of the Day
Mother Knows Best
A Spanner (Wrench) in the Works
A Promise to Protect
Home Is Where The Heart Is
Truth or Dare
Shattered Trust
Cloak And Dagger
Know Your Enemy
Waterfalls
Love Is Blind
Weapons, Words, and Worship
Three Beasts, Three Tests, One Truth
Harmony From Discord
The Truth of the Past
Tales of the Past
The Story of Soulmates Past
When the Past Meets the Present
And So The Plot Thickens
Solstice Souls 2: Black Fire, White Flame

The Grand Tour

1.4K 177 111
By edzooc8r

Wei Ying POV

Wei Ying felt pleased with himself that he was able to get Lan Zhan to leave Jingshi so easily. He hadn't really lied. He thoroughly enjoyed a glass of warm milk before bed which he had not had since leaving his home all those weeks ago. But there was something else he wanted more.

As soon as his jade was out the door, Wei Ying began putting his plan into action. He knew from the look in Lan Zhan's eyes after waking that his fiance had been ashamed of what had been done to him by his clan elders. What had happened had not been Lan Zhan's fault and Wei Ying was going to show him there was nothing to forgive.

He removed his outer robe leaving only his scarlet red inner one wrapped around his sinewy frame. He had remembered seeing brilliant blue flowers growing around Jingshi and quickly ran outside to gather a few to bring inside. Before he knew it, there were not only tied bunches of the flowers in various bowls and cups, but single bursts of color all over the floor and bed. The entire house was filled with the aroma of the small flowers.

Next, Wei Ying lit extra lanterns giving the room an ethereal glow. Their warmth spread through him as he became more excited for Lan Zhan's return. Removing his red ribbon, he rushed over to his bag, pulled out his comb, and began running it through his long hair. Even after pulling out all the tangles, Wei Ying continued to comb his tresses until it became silky with a natural sheen that glistened in the soft light.

When he placed his comb back in his bag, his fingers brushed against the soft material of his dancing robes. Deeper down, he touched the cold metal of his mask. A thrilling charge of energy coursed through his body.

I shouldn't, he thought.

But then again, Wei Ying never did listen to reason. Even his own.

"Wei Ying. I am back. May I enter?" Lan Zhan asked so politely.

Such a gentleman.

"You may enter, my Jade." he called back, his voice sultry.

Lan Zhan hesitated a moment before opening the door. His eyes were down and Wei Ying held in a giggle at his fiance's respectfulness. Turning around with the jug of warm milk atop a small tray, Lan Zhan raised his head, his eyes following the motion.

Wei Ying stood there, dressed only in his rose-colored inner robe. His face was partially hidden by Mo Xuanyu's elaborate silver mask and his hair was pulled neatly into a high ponytail with his famous red ribbon. Silver eyes peered out from the shadows cast by the lanterns across the mask. Thick lashes blinked seductively, beckoning Lan Zhan to come closer.

The Second Jade froze. The tray held in his hand began trembling like a mouse's whiskers. His breathing deepened and his nostrils flared. Wide, golden eyes glowed with a matching fire to the lantern's flickering in the corners.

Wei Ying drifted closer. His bare feet barely made a sound, his steps confident and agile. Bunny teeth peeked out from behind his perfectly bow-shaped lips as he watched Lan Zhan take a half step towards him.

"Lan Zhan." Wei Ying murmured. "Thank you for getting me the milk."

Lan Zhan gulped and Wei Ying could not help but stare as his prominent Adam's apple bobbed up and down his thick, muscular neck.

"W-Wei Ying is we-welcome." his jade stuttered.

Hands that had held both fan and sword reached out to take the jug from the bamboo tray. Wei Ying pulled the blue piece of cloth off the top and began taking large swigs of the white liquid within. He felt the warmth of the milk flow down his throat and fill his belly. Before he finished the final swallow, a trickle of milk escaped his lips, passed silently over his small mole, and began a precarious journey down his chin and neck.

In a flash, Lan Zhan's lips were on his. Wei Ying dropped the jug onto the floor and was swept into the passionate kiss like a boat in a storm. They each fought for dominance. Teeth nipped and lips pulled as the two young men were consumed with desire. Lan Zhan's hand reached up and pulled at Wei Ying's ponytail. His dancer's exposed neck was long and tasted like the warm milk that now resided inside him.

Wei Ying moaned lightly at the forceful tug. His arms wrapped tightly around his jade, needing his warmth and security in this foreign place filled with people who wanted to do him harm. It was in his nature to keep up a strong front to comfort the people around him. But with Lan Zhan, Wei Ying was beginning to understand he could simply be himself.

Lan Zhan slowly stopped his attention on Wei Ying's sun-kissed skin and breathed deeply, resting his head against Wei Ying's shoulder.

"Need sleep." he pointed out with a long sigh.

"I know." Wei Ying answered. "But...this was nice, too."

"Mn."

How could one word, one sound, express so many different emotions? Wei Ying had always been very talkative and thought, the more words you used, the better understood a person would be. Yet, he was learning now that it wasn't what you said, but how you said it.

"Long day tomorrow." Lan Zhan explained, raising his head to look at his dancer.

His fingers slipped around the back of Wei Ying's head and untied the black ribbon holding the mask against his face. With his other hand, he slowly lowered the mask so he could see his future husband's face and press a few final kisses over Wei Ying's cheeks and nose.

Wei Ying giggled. The blush painting his skin a soft shade of pink spread down his neck and he caught Lan Zhan staring at it again.

He smiled and said, "We both need our sleep. You have to show me your home tomorrow. And I have a lot of questions."

Lan Zhan nodded and began blowing out the lanterns allowing the bright moonlight to wash across Jingshi. Wei Ying picked up the jug and tray and placed them on a table near the door. He then turned down the blanket on the bed before removing his hair ribbon. Crawling into the bed first, he turned around and noticed Lan Zhan grabbing an extra blanket and pillow from a cubby in the back.

"No way." Wei Ying said, shaking his head. "There is no way I'm making you sleep on the floor in your own home. Absolutely not."

"But...Wei Ying might feel...." Lan Zhan began.

"I'll be lonely, cold, scared, and I might even have a bad dream if you don't keep me safe and warm." Wei Ying finished, patting the bed.

Lan Zhan lowered his eyes, his ears burning a fiery red.

Wei Ying huffed gently. "Don't tell me you're shy."

"Not married." Lan Zhan answered.

"You are a fuddy-duddy, aren't you?" Wei Ying teased. "Come." he said, his arm outstretched. "Sleep with me. Nothing else has to happen."

Lan Zhan looked up. Those light amber eyes that Wei Ying fell in love with the first day he saw his jade standing in the street holding the flower stared at him hopefully. One step at a time he moved closer to the bed. Wei Ying stood up and slowly undid Lan Zhan's belt. He kept his eyes down knowing full well, if he was to look up, he would see the same fiery passion that burned through his veins on his jade's face.

So he wouldn't be tempted, Wei Ying moved behind Lan Zhan and slid his future husband's outer robe off. He took Lan Zhan's hand in his and led him to the bed, pulling him down gently. The two laid side by side, face to face. Gold reflected silver until both their eyes closed with exhaustion.

                       ****************************************

"Wei Ying."

"Hmmmm."

"Wei Ying."

"Whaaat?"

"Five o'clock. Wake up."

"Noooo. Tooo earlyyy." the sleepy bunny whined.

"Must wake up. Elders watching."

Wei Ying cracked one eye open. The sky was still dark. Night creatures gave their final curtain call before scurrying back to their burrows and dens. Lan Zhan was looking at him with those damn golden eyes that sparkled with life.

Wei Ying groaned and pushed himself up onto his hands. His body felt heavy as he swung his legs over the side of the bed. Lan Zhan was there with his outer robe and boots waiting to help the younger man dress for his first full day in Cloud Recesses. The jade knelt and helped Wei Ying with his boots one foot at a time, taking care not to rush the sleepy bunny. Helping his dancer stand, Lan Zhan held the black robe out so Wei Ying could slip his arms inside.

"Meditate first." Lan Zhan explained.

"Oh. Okay." Wei Ying agreed with a long yawn.

The two sat facing each other on thin floor mats in the middle of Jingshi. Wei Ying tried to follow Lan Zhan's example but found he kept drifting off to sleep. His head nodded every five minutes and he could tell that his jade was trying to be patient with him. Lan Zhan moved to sit next to him so that when Wei Ying inevitably fell to the side, he was there to stop his fall.

After an hour of half meditating, or sleeping in Wei Ying's case, the Wei heir followed his jade to the dining hall. They were escorted by two Lan disciples, their swords at the ready. Their eyes followed Wei Ying's every move. He couldn't even stretch without their hands tensing around the hilts of their weapons.

Normally, Lan Zhan would have dined in Jingshi but he explained that Wei Ying needed to be seen. His family and clan needed to know that he was just like them. A living, breathing person who ate food, drank tea, and had manners while doing so.

Wei Ying was a little nervous about the last part. His parents had taught him manners but he had never really followed them. He prayed he could remember how to act like a gentleman so they wouldn't see an animal and want to hunt him.

When the bowl of food was placed in front of him, Wei Ying stared at breakfast intently.

"Lan Zhan." he whispered.

"Mn?"

"Where's the meat?"

Lan Zhan glanced over at him with an understanding look in his eyes. "No meat in Cloud Recesses."

Wei Ying whined. No meat? How was he going to survive?

"Lan Zhan."

"Mn?"

"Where's the spice jar?" Wei Ying asked, his voice full of hope that the Lan Clan at least had that.

"No spices in Cloud Recesses."

Wei Ying practically cried. No spices? No meat? That was the last straw! He tried to stand but Lan Zhan's hand gripped his and pulled him back down. Catching the jade's eye, Wei Ying looked around them. All eyes were on him.

"Later." Lan Zhan uttered under his breath.

Wei Ying picked up his chopsticks and began eating the bland vegetables and rice in front of him. He chewed quickly and swallowed in large gulps. When his bowl was empty, he sat quietly until Lan Zhan finished. He kept his eyes down, not wanting to give anyone a reason to doubt that he was a suitable husband for his jade.

Afterwards, Lan Zhan took him to see the rock where the three thousand rules stood for all to see. Wei Ying stared gaping up at the massive boulder.

"I have to follow all of those?"

"Mn."

As he read over some of them, Wei Ying slowly realized what kind of childhood his Lan Zhan must have had.

If a child could not run freely, or shout for joy, or even laugh at a prank, how did one experience life? If Lan Zhan was not able to play games or swim or wrestle with his brother, what did he do for fun?

There were so many rules. So many things to tell him what he couldn't do there was no room left for those that told him what he could do. A single tear fell from his silver eyes that were misted over with sadness for what his Lan Zhan had been denied. Life had to be lived, not trapped in a cage with no key to unlock it.

Wei Ying turned to Lan Zhan and threw his arms around the shocked jade. He buried his face in the space between Lan Zhan's neck and shoulder and nuzzled the soft skin. Soon, his tears left wet splotches on the fine white cloth against his cheek and he pulled back.

"Wei Ying is sad?" Lan Zhan asked, his voice full of innocence.

"A little."

"We will leave now." Lan Zhan said, his arms holding Wei Ying tightly.

"No, no. It's not what you think, Lan Zhan." Wei Ying explained. "I don't want to leave. I need to see how you grew up. I want to know more about you and your family. I'll learn your rules and I'll eat your food. Whatever it takes to be by your side."

Lan Zhan's lips turned up at the corners and Wei Ying giggled. That smile had the power to make all the bad go away. It was a light in the darkness that threatened to pull them apart. Wei Ying kissed those lips with a hungry need. A need to see this thing through. To love the man in his arms with everything he had.

Pulling apart breathless, the two cultivators headed back hand in hand to the training grounds. Wei Ying had fond memories of this place and was excited to see clan members practicing. He wanted to compare it to his own training as a youngster. Lan Zhan took them to a somewhat secluded spot where prying eyes would not easily find them. He even stood in front of Wei Ying to protect him from curious and judgemental eyes and Wei Ying loved him for that.

Looking over his jade's broad shoulders, Wei Ying watched with interest the various groups of Lan cultivators on the field below. They were broken down by age group, the youngest ones being about six years old. Each one practiced the clan fighting style which Wei Ying had to admit was quite impressive. Their moves were exact and precise, just like Lan Zhan's. Even the littlest juniors, dressed in their pale colored Lan robes, showed off their skills just like their older fighters.

After warm ups, they were paired with another member to do mock one on one duels. Wei Ying's eyes studied each pair, learning what he could. Some were stronger than others, while some were faster. But the one thing he noticed about all of them was that there was no creativity. All the moves were part of the various forms of the Lan fighting style. They were pieced together in different ways but the moves were all the same.

Wei Ying turned to leave, Lan Zhan immediately following behind him.

"Wei Ying okay?" asked the worried jade.

"Yeah, I'm fine, Lan Zhan. Can we see something else?"

Wei Ying's heart continued to break for his jade. It was as if Lan Zhan had been living in a world devoid of color. Yet Wei Ying knew there were vibrant shades of the rainbow inside his Lan Zhan. His love of rabbits, the way he cared for Wei Ying, the fascination upon learning new things that would light up his face. And who could miss the passion that blazed in those golden orbs? Was Lan Zhan an exception? An enigma?

He hoped not. Not if they were to get the blessing of his clan elders and his uncle. Wei Ying definitely had his work cut out for him but he never backed down from a challenge. And this would be the biggest one he had faced in his entire life.

Lan Zhan took his hand and led him away from the practice field. They walked in silence through Cloud Recesses. Their escorts were still with them and Wei Ying could see how frustrated his jade was with their babysitters. He tried to calm Lan Zhan down with subtle touches and gentle words but they had no effect. Well, he guessed his jade could be as stubborn as him when he felt like it.

Suddenly, Wei Ying stopped and turned towards their two shadows.

"You know, you've been so kind as to show me around your beautiful home, it's only right that I properly introduce myself. My name is Wei Wuxian. I am the future clan leader of the Wei Clan. And you are...."

The two young men hesitated. They looked at each other unsure of what to do.

"Oh come on. Don't be shy. If you're going to follow me around for the next few days, I think we should get to know each other better. I don't bite. No matter what your Hanguang-jun says." he said with a sly grin.

The two guards blushed a deeper red than a spring rose. Lan Zhan barely stifled the giggle bursting from his lips. And Wei Ying sprung over to stand between the two flustered men. He threw his arms around their shoulders and pulled their stiff bodies closer.

"What d'ya say you give us some space so it doesn't feel like I'm giving you a piggyback ride and I promise not to tell your elders that you've been placing bets on whether or not I'll try to escape?"

Lan Zhan turned around and glared at the two young Lans. They immediately straightened, their heads held so high they couldn't even make eye contact with the man in black or his husband-to-be.

"Good! Now, where were we Lan Zhan?"

Wei Ying sauntered back to his jade's side and locked arms with the handsome man in white.

"Library." Lan Zhan replied, tugging Wei Ying along next to him.

To Wei Ying, the library sounded boring. But when they reached the stand alone building, he was overwhelmed with the beauty of the area. Heavy mists hung in the broad tree canopies like blankets of silk. The cliffside was speckled with white rocks where a small pristine stream gurgled down from the mountaintop. The library itself was elaborate and obviously a place the Lan Clan took pride in.

Lan Zhan led him inside where Wei Ying gazed upon rows and shelves of books, all neatly organized and well-kept. Birds called outside, their voices a melody Wei Ying could listen to all day. Insects added their unique sound to the symphony while the stream was the rhythm. Even the air seemed to have a presence here.

Wei Ying closed his eyes and simply listened to life around him. He had never imagined a place could be so peaceful. It was as if this place existed outside reality, a place that time could not touch.

"What is Wei Ying thinking?"

"Beautiful." Wei Ying sighed.

"Yes. Beautiful." Lan Zhan repeated, staring at the beautiful young man beside him.

Wei Ying opened his eyes and was met with those golden orbs he dreamt of every night. He blushed and turned into his jade's waiting embrace.

"Lan Zhan, we talked about this, didn't we? You have to warn me when you're going to say the sweetest things anyone has ever said to me, remember?"

Lan Zhan hummed and Wei Ying trembled at the tiny vibrations coming from his jade's muscular chest. He looked up and was greeted by warm lips that pressed against his in a slow, needy kiss. They had completely forgotten the two guards who quietly stepped out of the library, unwilling to interrupt the couple to remind them of how many rules they were currently breaking.

Wei Ying reluctantly pulled away, his full lips glistening in the afternoon light shining through the open windows.

"Lan Zhan."

"Mn."

"I can do this. For you. For us. I will do this."

He smiled at his jade and loved how Lan Zhan's face softened.

"Wei Ying is brave. Wei Ying is strong. Wei Ying is mine."

And with that declaration, the two resumed their intimate dance.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

112K 7.9K 29
[First place winner Eunoia Awards WangXian category July 2021] After being apart for years, Lan Zhan and Wei Ying are reunited, finally starting thei...
34.6K 2K 31
A Zhuiling story. ________________________________________ 20/6/22 - 22/10/21 #1 in Zhuiling 10/24/21 - #2 in Zhuiling 10/17/21 - 10/30/21 #2 in Lan...
254K 25.5K 60
"I will wait for you at dusk. I will come to you at dawn." An epic love story that starts 4 centuries ago with a promise that is left un...
244K 14.5K 24
[YiZhan fanfiction | COMPLETED] With his good looking face, you surely will turn your head just to follow him. A King in his own castle, slaying you...