Anastasia

By Fleurdelys21

"It's not right that we should have to fight for something so obviously right and just as having the vote but... More

The Bird
A Visit to the Countess
A Trip to Priston
Surprise, Surprise!
In the Drawing Room
Horse Riding
Becoming a Lady
Plans and Puzzlement
Fawley
Friends
Friendship
Revelations
Dona Nobis Pacem, Give Us Peace!
Molloy Park - Part One
Molloy Park - Part Two
Molloy Park - Part Three
Bedside Visits
Rights...And Responsibilities
The Mouse's Ear
A Friend In Need Is A Friend Indeed
Leave Taking
Forget - Me - Not
The London Season
Coming to Terms
Adelaide
A Deeper Look
The Making Up Of Minds
Decisions, Decisions
An Argument
A New Way Of Thinking
Things To Do, People To See...
No News Is Good News, But Some News Is Better
Women's Sunday
An Encounter
Resolutions
Another Reunion
Causes
Surprising News
The Rally
The Female Physician
Recovery
A Damsel In Distress
The Knight In Shining Armour
Leaving London
Home
A Second Arrival
Early One Morning
The Last Day
Rain
Acknowledgements
Edwardians and Suffragettes
Felicity - Part I
Felicity II
Felicity III

A Plan

879 68 9
By Fleurdelys21

For Ana.

***

It came as no surprise to Anastasia the following day when she heard of Robert and Adelaide's engagement. She was very happy for them, of course, as was everyone else; Lord and Lady Priston were delighted by Adelaide's large dowry, Lord Langworth relieved that someone would have his daughter - that he would take her far away from the gossips for a few years was an added bonus.

"This will be a wonderful connection to have between our families," Lady Adlington said to Lady Langworth during their call to the Whitby house.

Anastasia couldn't help but shake her head at her mother's reasoning. Always thinking of status and unions and money! She sighed and turned her attention to the window. It was a bright warm day, typical of the current season.

Adelaide had been dragged into the ladies' conversation, much to Anastasia's annoyance. Adelaide, however, did not seem to mind very much as she was still smiling as broadly as when the had first arrived.

There was a slight commotion behind Anastasia and she turned quickly from the window to see that Mrs Campbell and Rebecca were now in the parlour. A sudden wave of panic spread through her - But no, she calmed herself, there was no reason for her mother to suspect...

The necessary introductions were made by Lady Langworth, who presented Mrs Campbell quite firmly as a very dear friend, thus ensuring Lady Adlington greeted her warmly.

"Miss Campbell, have we met before?" The countess said. "You look very familiar to me."

Anastasia saved Rebecca from any discomfort in attempting to answer the question. "Miss Campbell's brother spent much of the summer with Robert, Mamma. Do you remember?"

Lady Adlington frowned as she thought back. To everyone's relief, she then broke into a pleasant smile. "Ah, yes, of course. But how is it you know..." She faltered, trying to make sense of the situation.

Anastasia blushed, realising she may have done better not to have spoken. "Oh, I - " she looked in alarm over to Adelaide and Rebecca.

"I expect Mr James Campbell spoke of his family to you, did he not, Anastasia?" Adelaide said, coming quickly to her aid.

Anastasia nearly sighed with relief. "Yes, yes, he often did," she lied easily. "He also mentioned his acquaintance with Lord and Lady Langworth."

Lady Adlington nodded. "Ah, I see. Mrs Campbell, Miss Campbell, it was a pleasure to - "

Rebecca leaned in a whispered something hastily to Adelaide, causing the latter to cry out, "Oh! Just a moment, Lady Adlington."

"Adelaide?" Lady Langworth asked curiously.

"I promised both Miss Campbell and Lady Anastasia that I would show them that book Papa was speaking of."

"Book?" the Marchioness repeated blankly. Adelaide, looking exasperated, signalled to her mother, by a meaningful look, the urgency of the situation.

"Yes, the one he told us of this morning. It is in the library; we shall only be a few moments."

Before anyone could protest, Adelaide had ushered Rebecca and Anastasia out of the parlour and into the next room, which was indeed the library. However, no book was produced.

"Forgive me, Anastasia, but I wished to see how your leg has healed," Rebecca explained. "If you would," she said, indicating to the nearest sofa.

"Oh, of course," Anastasia replied, moving obediently to the couch and reclining on it, allowing her doctor to examine her calf muscle. "It has much improved."

Rebecca nodded. "There are no visible signs...has it pained you at all recently?"

"No, not at all."

A few more prods and pinches later and Rebecca stood back, satisfied. "I have not seen you at Clement's Inn of late," she remarked, helping Anastasia to rearrange her skirts.

Anastasia stared down at her hands. "No, I - I have not had any reason to go."

"Stella will be released in a week," Rebecca said quietly. "Daddy succeeded in having her sentence slightly reduced."

 "Oh, that must be quite a blessing." 

"Yes. Oh, my brother has been asking after you."

"Oh," was all she could say, unsure of how to respond and still not raising her eyes. "You can assure him I am in good health. And in good spirits because of recent events in my family." She glanced over to Adelaide who was lingering by a book case, pretending to be interested in a small crack which had appeared in the frame.

Rebecca smiled. "Of course. Please pass on my congratulations to your cousin."

Anastasia promised she would.

"Felicity, too, has been wondering if you would call. I know the Season will end soon..."

"Yes," Anastasia said, almost sadly. The thought of leaving London was a welcome one, but leaving her friends was another matter altogether.

"Why don't you come to Avondale?" she suddenly blurted as the idea came into her head.

"I beg your pardon?"

"You could come and stay at Avondale with me for a while. I'll be in need of some company out in the country. And Adelaide," she turned to her friend, "Perhaps you could come too? Robert will be at Fawley, scarcely a mile away! You will be mistress of that house some day, you might as well see it before you leave."

Adelaide looked so shocked when she mentioned her being mistress of Fawley that Anastasia had to suppress a small chuckle.

"Anastasia, I would be delighted to visit you, but I'm afraid that with Stella returning I'll be needed - "

"But Stella should come too, and Felicity. She wanted someone to practise with, did she not?"  A wide smile spread across her face as a plan formed in her mind.

Adelaide too, having overcome her surprise, was beginning to grin. "I think it's a wonderful idea!"

Anastasia, suddenly giddy with excitement, said, "Then I shall speak to Robert about it."

***

Robert, naturally, thought it was a brilliant idea. Lord and Lady Priston were to return the suggested week - the last in July - and so it would be the perfect opportunity to introduce them to his future wife and for their families to become better acquainted. He even suggested having the gentlemen stay at Fawley.

"Charlotte will be returning too," he told a Anastasia.

"How is she? I haven't written to her for - oh, months!"

Charlotte, as was only to be expected, had been interested solely in the details of the balls, the gowns and society's finest young gentlemen. After the initial weeks of the Season, Anastasia had exhausted her supply of gossip and so letters between them became shorter and less frequent until they ended altogether. And when she had met Adelaide - well, much had changed since then.

"Well enough, last I heard. She mentioned some Italian in her last letter."

"Oh dear, I hope she will not be too heartbroken when she leaves then," Anastasia muttered.

"I had feared the same, but this plan of yours puts my mind at ease. She can occupy herself with Terbridge, Whitby and Campbell as much as she pleases."

"Campbell?" Anastasia asked, surprised.

Robert looked at her incredulously. "Did you think I would leave him out? I don't care what sort of relationship he has with his sisters, Anna, he is still a friend of mine. And what about his saving you from what would likely have become a disastrous situation?"

"Oh, do calm down, Robert! I was merely a little surprised; I hadn't thought of him."

"Hadn't you?" Robert asked, eyebrows raised.

She creased her brow, flustered. "Well, no - I - Of course I did think - "

"Or does Terbridge occupy your thoughts these days?" Robert continued mischievously.

"No!" she exclaimed, more loudly than she had intended.

"Well then?"

"Well what?" She put on a false smile.

"Anna, you must - "

Anastasia stood up in frustration. "No," she said firmly. "Not now. Don't tease me so. I can't think clearly anymore. " She shook her head, muttering, "I need to go back to the country."

"In that case, you won't have long to wait. If Uncle Tony and Aunt Cecilly are agreeable - and I see no reason why they should not be - you will be back in Avondale within a week."

She nodded, sighing. "You are right, Robert. But before I leave London, there is something I must do."

***

Author's Note

Three weeks after my last update - I do apologise. But don't say I didn't warn you! A combination of writers' block, no time and complete and utter exhaustion has delayed this one, but at last it's up(unedited, by the way). Thanks to everyone who's still sticking around with me. We don't have much longer to go! I'm working a bit on my next story too...don't expect it any time soon, though!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

126K 9.2K 21
John Osborne has a promising career with the War Office and lacks for nothing. Except, possibly, a wife. Unfortunately, the woman he wants only has e...
1.4M 42.5K 35
FOR FANS OF BRIDGERTON. To save her family's reputation, Isabella must impersonate her twin sister to deceive her sister's husband in a scheme that d...
45K 2.3K 50
Fallon's sole ambition in life is to escape her miserable hometown once and for all. She dreams of driving away in her convertible and leaving her pa...
22.6K 803 50
Annabeth Reed had simple goals in her life, graduate at the top of her class, get a nice boyfriend and mostly win the scholarship to her dream art sc...