Destined for Greatness ✔️

MarjorieK64 által

*Book 3 of the Destined Series* Without her sister, her mate, and her friends, Ryleigh has nowhere to turn to... Több

Author's Note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Author's note

Chapter 34

712 49 69
MarjorieK64 által

When Jade woke, the first thing she felt was pain. Every inch of her body ached like she was being slowly roasted above an open fire. Still, it wasn't the amount of pain she'd been expecting. In fact, she hadn't been expecting any pain, because she'd thought she'd be waking up in the Goddess' eternal fields. Was there pain after death? No one had ever told her that.

But, upon consideration, she didn't think she was dead. The smell of petrichor hung in the air and a breeze tickled her flustered skin. An open window? There was something soft underneath her head, and she was reclining. A bed. She figured she was probably still in the infirmary. Her gift slowly, painfully, staggered to live again. Everlee's mind was nearby, as well as the minds of some other people she didn't know. People who were sleeping – other patients?

The only way she could be alive was if Paige had come. Was that possible? Had Paige cared enough for her to risk everything and go to the castle? And if so, had Corbin allowed it? She doubted it. Did that mean she had risked his wrath? Had Ryleigh helped her? Did Ryleigh care? Stop. Her head already pounded like a pup was using her brain like a plaything. The last thing she needed was to add to the pressure on her skull by pondering questions she could never answer.

She was afraid to open her eyes. What if the blindness had remained? She could tell that all the silver had left her body. She didn't feel like she was entirely back to health yet, but the agonising torture had ceased. Realistically, then, her sight should have returned. Alright. Slowly. She opened her eyes into slits and was met with harsh light. It hurt, but it meant that at least she could see.

"Jade?"

It was Everlee's voice, filtering loudly and painfully into her ears. She groaned and turned her head away. Everything was too noisy and too bright, and her head was on the verge of exploding. Where was Aaron when she needed him?

Her eyes opened again, squinting against the light. Everlee's blurred frame came into view, gaining a bit more clarity with every blink.

"Hi, there. Welcome back." Everlee smiled at her. She looked far more innocent than her demanding voice and usual harsh choice of words allowed. Strawberry blonde hair framed a face that had retained some of its youthful softness. How old was she? She should ask, once she had regained enough strength to speak.

"Gave us all a huge scare, you know," Everlee said. She walked to the nightstand and poured a cup of water from a jug. "Can you sit up a little? Hold up, I'll help. Let me get you another pillow first. There. Alright. Ready? Yes. Perfect. Just like that. Yes."

Jade gasped at every movement, pain shooting through her nervous system like silvered arrows from a crossbow, quickly and without mercy. The red-headed woman who had shot her came to mind. Who was she? Who had sent her? More questions she couldn't answer.

Jade tugged her hand free from under the covers. She was dressed in a nightgown. Who had dressed her? Everlee? Or Aaron? Probably Everlee. She pulled the fabric off her shoulder and looked at her skin. No scars, no bruises, no hint that she had been on the verge of death just hours before. Paige truly was a miracle worker.

"Here, try to drink." Everlee handed her the cup. Jade's hands trembled but she managed to wrap her fingers around the cup and brought it to her lips, taking a sip. Her throat was sore and everything she swallowed tasted like silver.

"How are you feeling?" Everlee asked. "Much pain? Paige took all of the silver, so I can prescribe you some painkillers if you want."

She nodded. "Please." Her voice was hoarse and scraped over her throat like a gardener overturning a garden.

Everlee nodded and walked to a cabinet halfway across the room. "I'll be honest with you," she said, her voice echoing through the room. "I thought you were done for. I didn't think Paige would show up, but she did. It was late last night. Brought a teleporter, and Alpha Ellis. It was a bit awkward when the king came in, but it went alright, I'd say. Paige clearly loves you very much. Nice woman, that. Ah. Here." She retrieved a bottle and took out a pill, then put the bottle back and locked the cabinet back up. "Swallow this. Should help you relax a bit and take the edge off the pain."

She let the pill fall into Jade's extended palm and Jade took it without question. Anything to get the nagging pain to stop. She swallowed it with a sip of water, pulling a face at its taste.

"Jade?"

Aaron busted into the infirmary, stopping dead in his tracks when he saw Jade – awake and well.

"I linked him when you woke up," Everlee said. "I'll give you a moment."

Jade pushed the cup back onto the nightstand and ran her fingers through her hair. She didn't think she wanted to know what she looked like. Aaron halted in the doorway for a few moments, staring at her as though he was looking at the Goddess himself. Then he staggered into movement, hurrying towards her. He sat down on the edge of the bed, taking her in with wide, apprehensive eyes. To her surprise, she noticed he was holding back tears.

Through the bond, she could sense his fear. He must have been terrified the past few days, and a pang shot through her heart at the knowledge that she'd been the one to put him through that. She hardly remembered anything, but she had a vague recollection of him by her bedside, talking to her while she screamed, lessening her agony just the slightest bit – just enough to save her from despair.

He pulled her into a hug. The movement set every muscle in her body screaming, but his touch counteracted that effect. She wrestled her arms free and wrapped them around him, burying her face into his chest. His heart was rapping loudly against his ribcage, his breathing shaky.

"I was so scared I'd lose you," he said, his voice hardly a whisper. His fingers buried in her hair and if he pulled her any tighter against him she'd choke. She held him as well as she could and closed her eyes, taking in his scent. She knew he needed her comfort, and Goddess knew she needed his, but she still couldn't hold back a chuckle.

"What?" He pulled back, looking at her with curved brows.

She brought her hand to his cheek, brushing her fingers over the scruff of his beard. He hadn't shaved. Who was this man? She brought her other hand up as well, cupping his face in her hands. Her smile turned into a grin. He stared at her, a tentative smile on his lips when he realised her meaning.

"Are you serious?" he asked, breathing a confused chuckle. "You nearly died and the only thing you have attention for is that I look a mess?"

She lowered her hands again. "It's just out of character. I rather like it." She coughed a little, pressing a hand against her chest. Thank the Goddess she wasn't bringing up silver anymore, but her lungs were still upset.

"I will have you know that I had better things on my mind than caring for my appearance," he said. Goddess, she could listen to his voice all day.

She rested her head against his shoulder. He smelled wonderful. Like rosewood and rosewood alone. "If I'd known it would take nearly dying to get you to ease up on the soap, I would have let myself get shot much sooner."

"That is not funny, Jade," he said, taking hold of her shoulders and up-righting her. She could tell he wasn't able to make light of the situation, not even now it was over. His shoulders and back were tenser than a bowstring, and his eyes were still wide with worry. Goddess, he sure was adorable, and Jade had no clue what she'd done to deserve having someone in her life who loved her this much.

She drew a hand horizontally down her face, pulling her features into a serious expression as she did so. "You're right. It's not funny." Her lips twitched, curling up despite her best efforts. "Can you keep the beard?"

"You are impossible." His arms snaked around her again. "But I sure am glad to hear your voice again. Do you have any idea how terrified I have been? You were so ill and everyone kept telling me I had to say goodbye, and I could not do it."

She pulled away a little, placing two fingers underneath his chin and forcing his head up, so he'd meet her gaze. She was trying to keep the mood light, but she could tell the past few days had really scarred him. Her heart hurt, and this time it wasn't because of her condition. "Hey. What happened to that charming smile of yours? Think you can spare me one?"

He grasped her hand and brought it down, braiding his fingers through hers. He didn't smile.

"I'm fine, Aaron," she said. "Really. I'm not going anywhere. I know you were scared, but I'm alright. You promised you'd get Paige here and you did."

"It was almost too late."

"I thought you were an optimist?" She nudged his shoulder. It might have been the pain-killers or surviving certain death, but the world didn't seem so bad right that second. "I plan to keep driving you to madness for at least a few good decades more."

His gaze settled on her, eyes grey like storm clouds. "Do you promise?"

She nodded, smiling. "I promise."

______

A/N: Jade and Aaron reunited <3 I know a lot of you don't like Aaron, which is fair, but tell me he's not a tiny little bit less annoying like this. 

Thank you for reading!

Olvasás folytatása

You'll Also Like

28.6K 2.2K 43
*Book 4 of the Destined Series* Everything that Ryleigh once considered to be certain is pulled into question. From the loyalty of her friends and fa...
56.9K 2.9K 34
16 years later and the Red Dawn Pack has been growing steadfast! Blake and Aria's children are teenagers now, and are learning how to develop and con...
16.4K 823 68
*COMPLETE, EDITING ON-GOING* Diana doesn't know what she wants in life. She loves her family and her pack but she knows there is more out in the wor...
12.4K 414 81
Cecily Turner has grown up fighting against the pack that killed her mother, the ones that seek to over power every pack before taking out the King o...