Solstice Souls

By edzooc8r

Two famous clans of the Cultivational world, forever at odds because of a curse, are trapped in a war they ca... More

Bedtime Story
Birthday Present
Searching for Someone
Best Of The Best
Proving His Worth
Adversaries
Invitation
Dinner Guests
Shenanigans of a Drunken Jade
The Duel of Duals
Wanting, Needing
Deepest Desires
Awestruck A-Ying
Hidden Agendas
Sword Seduction
Of Swords and Other Blades
Family Reunion
War of Words
Forbidden Love
Broken Jade
The Blame Game
Two-legged Beasts
Nightmarish Hunt
Creatures of the Night
Seeking Judgement
Mist Covered Paths
A Son's Duty
All Kinds of Thirst
Medicinal Magic
Under The Moonlight
Visiting Friends
Thieves of Time
The Key To Their Hearts
Soul Searching
Fated Sons
Fortune and Faith
The Verdict
Lessons in Love
First Introductions
Nurturing and Lotus Flowers
A Broken Brotherhood
Of Sound Heart and Mind
Punishment
Insights and Monsters
A Healing Touch
Confessions of the Heart
Understand
Dreamers of the Day
Mother Knows Best
A Spanner (Wrench) in the Works
A Promise to Protect
Truth or Dare
Shattered Trust
The Grand Tour
Cloak And Dagger
Know Your Enemy
Waterfalls
Love Is Blind
Weapons, Words, and Worship
Three Beasts, Three Tests, One Truth
Harmony From Discord
The Truth of the Past
Tales of the Past
The Story of Soulmates Past
When the Past Meets the Present
And So The Plot Thickens
Solstice Souls 2: Black Fire, White Flame

Home Is Where The Heart Is

1.3K 180 78
By edzooc8r

Lan Zhan POV

Lan Zhan could feel panic growing in the younger one, and he tried to offer his support through their joined hands. It wasn't fair, what was going to happen now. Wei Ying would be all alone, the son of their enemy, surrounded by his enemies.

Not an ideal situation.

In the past, he would have been alone, but now Wei Ying had Lan Zhan. He had sworn an oath to protect Wei Ying, but the one in his heart, the vow he had made to himself in private, was his strength.

There was no way he was going to let anything happen to Wei Ying.

"What's it like in Cloud Recesses?" Wei Ying had changed the subject.

Lan Zhan looked over to his brother, who was watching them both. His gaze faltered on their joined hands, and he looked up with a silent question in his honey coloured eyes.

Are you sure?

Lan Zhan nodded back straight away.

XiChen gave him one last look, before turning to Wei Ying.

"Sometimes showing is better than telling."

Lan Zhan could tell his Xiongzhang was not trying to be horrible, yet in this, he was right.

"But I would be honoured if you could share your first impressions with me. WangJi and I have grown up there, and still I am not used to its beauty." He tried to soften his earlier words.

Lan Zhan was so proud of him. If they were to succeed in getting the Lan Elders on their side, Lan XiChen needed to be there first. His elder brother held a lot of sway with the older generation of their clan, having proven himself a capable leader of their Sect at such a young age. His level-headed, calm demeanor and willingness to listen, plus his ability to charm and persuade people on to his side held him in good stead.

Having XiChen's approval was half the battle.

And getting it fully would be another challenge for Lan Zhan. He was dreading having to speak, perhaps much more than he was used to, both to his brother and the Elders. He would not allow himself to think about Uncle Qiren for now.

One problem at a time.

The steady swaying of their carriage and the constant noise of the wheels provided a rhythm that lulled slowly. Lan Zhan could feel the warmth of Wei Ying as he leaned into him fully, having fallen asleep. He smiled down at this man who had captured his heart so completely.

But the way Wei Ying was sleeping bothered him, because it surely wasn't comfortable. So he bent and lifted his legs, shifting Wei Ying's body so his head lay in Lan Zhan's lap, and was lying down as best as he could in that cramped space. He reached under their seat and pulled out a blanket to cover Wei Ying. When he lifted his head, XiChen was watching him, a sad smile on his face.

"Didi...are you really sure?"

"Mn. I am sure. I love Wei Ying."

XiChen gasped.

He couldn't help himself, for it was so shocking.

"When...when did this happen?"

Lan Zhan thought about it.

Was it when they duelled for the first time? When he had found someone to match his skill at swordplay? Or when Wei Ying had come to sit next to him with the rabbits? The problem was, then he had been half in love with Wei Ying and tearing himself apart with guilt for his love of the Dancer. And now that he knew they were one and the same, had accepted this deep inside himself, he realised that he had fallen in love at first sight.

His dancer in all his red and black glory, owning that stage as he swirled and flourished, dancing with all of his heart, and in that one instance when their eyes had met, their souls had connected. It was as simple as that.

However, Lan Zhan could not tell his Xiongzhang about that, at least not yet. And maybe never. It wasn't Lan Zhan's secret to tell, and he had already promised to protect Mo XuanYu too, so he had to think quickly.

"Wei Ying...rabbits. He came there." He said, finally.

"Did he? I know he came to ask me about you...where you had gone. I didn't tell him, of course." XiChen added.

Of course Xiongzhang wouldn't have. But his Wei Ying was smart; he had found Lan Zhan on his own.

"So what happened?"

"Talking."

"You talked. And then you fell in love?" XiChen held both his hands out in disbelief. "Do you see why it's so hard to believe you?" He leaned forward and placed his hand on Lan Zhan's arm. "I don't doubt you. But Didi, you will have to be far more convincing than that, if you want Uncle Qiren to agree. The Elders will follow whatever he says...but from the way he was when I left..." he pursed his lips.

Lan Zhan felt cold. And a little bit helpless. He had only hours to go, to get a story in his head that sounded way better than the truth, because he was going to have to omit many facts.

Lan Zhan was never any good at lying. It was a useless skill he had thought, up till now, and the rules expressly forbid it. If he lied by omission, simply because he was protecting his Dancer, the Elders would think he was lying about how he felt for Wei Ying. And that would never do.

XiChen was giving him a chance to explain, and by doing that, he would gain much needed practice for the upcoming meeting.

Lan Zhan knew that XiChen's kindness was revealed in the fact that he did not say where the meeting would be, only mentioning their Uncle. If he had told the truth, there was a chance that Wei Ying would have high-tailed it out of there, the first chance he got.

Lan Zhan took a deep breath.

"Baoshan Sanren, the Celestial Immortal gave blessings." He said, looking his brother in the eyes.

"I thought it was a punishment."

"Mn. Is." Why had he said that? He had yet to think about what to reveal regarding his visit with Wei Ying's grandmother. "So...make it work." He would definitely have to discuss with Wei Ying on what they could say and what to leave out.

"Didi, that's commendable of you. But it still doesn't explain what you said before." XiChen sat back, exasperated.

Right...how he had fallen in love.

It would help if Lan Zhan knew himself.

Maybe it had started off slowly...one meeting after another. He thought back to himself sneaking out after curfew. The old Lan Zhan would never have broken the rules so blatantly, and to go and watch someone dance? And now he knew that his Dancer was supposed to be his mortal enemy? He remembered his Dancer falling into his arms and that wonderful kiss...butterflies took flight in his gut as he thought back to that surprising night.

Of course, this was something that would remain just between himself and Wei Ying until the end of time...there must be something else, something that could help them frame their love....

"Lotus Cove...the night hunt." He said finally.

"When you were opposing each other?"

Lan Zhan nodded, bracing himself.

"Didi, I have to tell you, and you must listen to yourself... it's flimsy at best, unbelievable at worst." XiChen sighed, shaking his head. "If I am to support you, both of you, then I need more to go on."

"Gege...supports?" Lan Zhan could hardly believe it!

"If... that's what you want. I just find it hard to understand, is all. Didi...above everything else, I want you to be happy." XiChen smiled at him kindly.

That's what did it for Lan Zhan. The kindness in those warm eyes watching him with unconditional love.

His eyes began watering but he couldn't move because Wei Ying was sleeping on him....and all of a sudden, Lan XiChen was hugging him.

He was stroking Lan Zhan's hair, and he was taken back to the time when it was just them, two brothers against the world and no parents to look after them. In that time and in that place, all they had was each other.

When his eyes were finally dry, XiChen poured him some water.

"Drink this, Didi."

Lan Zhan obeyed.

"Firstly, I am happy for you. I wish it could have been with someone else, given what we have to face soon...but nevermind. It is what it is. Us Lans never do anything by half."

Lan Zhan wiped his face with his sleeves. He had misplaced his handkerchief and kept forgetting to add a new one.

"Now, let's think about this rationally. If you really want to do this, we have to think about how we are going to present your case. I'll be honest with you, right now, Uncle Qiren wants to overturn the verdict. They are saying that your agreement is an admission of guilt and, if you didn't do anything, then they cannot force this marriage." XiChen sighed.

"I want to marry Wei Ying." Lan Zhan replied. He knew his stubborn streak was showing, but this was how he felt.

"I know that...." XiChen was thinking hard. "You, as the second Jade of Gusu, are an asset to the Lan Clan. You have been awarded the title of Hanguang-Jun. That's no laughing matter, Didi. Not only are you accomplished in the six arts, but your contribution to clan duties is impeccable. Your word stands in the community, and people respect you. There are some of the Elders who will stand by you, no matter what. Right now, they believe you are having to go through something you do not wish to, that has been forced around your neck."

"Mn."

"So we have to convince them of the truth, that you wish to go ahead with this."

"Mn."

"Alright, let me think about this."

His Xiongzhang looked awfully tired suddenly. And now that Lan Zhan was thinking about it, he would be. XiChen had traveled to Gusu, returned almost immediately and was going back, three trips in three days would take its toll on anyone, and XiChen was a strong cultivator.

"Gege must rest." Lan Zhan told him, eyeing the whole seat, as only half was taken up by him. He pulled out another blanket and pushed it into his brother's hands.

"I'm not tired...but alright. I suppose I can think lying down too." XiChen smiled at him before lying flat and covering himself with the blanket.

He was asleep in seconds.

Lan Zhan smiled at him. His brother never failed to surprise him, and he was astonished at how much better he felt after crying out his stress.

His fingers began to stroke Wei Ying's hair, those silky tresses running through them like sand in a timer. This close connection he had with Wei Ying was so strong, he knew without a doubt that everything would be alright if they were together.

                    ******************************

The carriage drew to a stop at the base of the mountain. They had driven through Caiyi Town a few minutes ago and now, because the path ascending to the gates of Cloud Recesses was too narrow in places and uneven for a wide carriage, meant they would have to walk the rest of the way.

He gently woke Wei Ying by kissing his forehead. The young man looked so peacefully asleep, that Lan Zhan didn't want to wake him.

XiChen was awake with the prod of a single finger. He sat up immediately, laughing softly at himself.

"I must have been tired, then."

"Mn."

Wei Ying also sat up, still yawning.

"Are we there?" He mumbled with his eyes still closed.

"Mn."

Lan Zhan had Wei Ying sit with his back towards him so he could fix his hair. His ponytail was askew, the silky ribbon loose and falling away. Within minutes, Wei Ying was presentable with straightened robes as they all three alighted.

"Young Master Wei, we have to walk the rest of the way." XiChen explained. He began walking in front of them.

"Lan Zhan?" Wei Ying looked up at him with worry in those beautiful silver eyes.

"Mn?"

"What's going to happen up there?"

Lan Zhan took both of his hands.

"Don't know. Us, together. Xiongzhang is with us."

Wei Ying nodded slowly.

"Alright, let's get it over with, then."

Lan Zhan kept one hand in his as they began to follow XiChen up the mountain path. Summer was just beginning to fade away; her presence still visible in the greenness of the leaves perched high up in the trees, but the breeze that caressed their faces was cooler, with the promise of more to come.

Where the sun shone was infinitely warmer, compared to the shadows in between; loose stones and rocky terrain greeted their footsteps. All around them, sheer cliff sides with their craggy overhanging bulges diminished the light, and Lan Zhan was happier when they walked in the sun.

He was anxious about Wei Ying's reaction to Cloud Recesses and wanted to make a good impression. He wanted Wei Ying to like his home, especially if they were to live here in the future. This was something else to be discussed, because Wei Ying was also a single heir; so their future home was as yet, undecided.

He surreptitiously watched Wei Ying from the corner of his eye as they ascended, almost scared of his reaction. This place, where Lan Zhan had grown up, everything they were seeing as they climbed up the mountain, he tried to see it through Wei Ying's eyes, wondering what he thought of it so far.

Wei Ying had been uncharacteristically quiet up till now, and Lan Zhan wondered if it was a combination of worry about what they were to face and his impression of pre-Cloud Recesses. Even he had to admit, Cloud Recesses was not the easiest of places to get to, and there was a good reason for this. Most of the inhabitants usually flew in and out, being experienced cultivators, and flying by sword made for faster travel.

This was the only disadvantage when traveling by carriage, that they had to walk for part of the way. This became advantageous in times of conflict, because the enemy had to reach you first, before any real damage could be done.

Cloud Recesses had another form of protection too, one that not many people knew about. All the residents had a jade pendant or a token which allowed them safe passage in and out. If they were escorting someone who did not have one of these on their person, it would not hinder their exit or entry, only so long as they were accompanied by someone who wore one. In short, it was the best type of security for the Lan Sect.

These were details that Wei Ying would come to learn about, possibly later. Lan Zhan wondered whether he would be alright about being a virtual prisoner, and for the first time in his life, he questioned their way of life. He knew that getting the Elders to accept his marriage was one thing, and that getting them to allow Wei Ying that kind of freedom to enter and leave Cloud Recesses as he wished, was totally another.

Around one last bend in the mountain and they were standing in front of the huge white pillars, set in their foundation hundreds of years ago by their founder, Lan An.

He heard Wei Ying take in a sharp breath, and Lan Zhan squeezed his hand again.

"We are together. Wei Ying is safe." He whispered, wanting nothing more than to hold him tightly, keep him away from those who wished to harm him. Wei Ying was his, and no one should be able to cause him pain.

But Xiongzhang was waiting for them just beyond the gates.

"It's okay...we can do this." Wei Ying took a deep breath and marched forward.

As they walked into the real Cloud Recesses, Wei Ying was watching everything, his beautiful silver eyes so expressive, as he saw the traditional buildings, the kitchens and the training grounds. The Great Hall came next, where the Elders would be waiting.

Residential homes were located even higher up the mountain, far apart and solitary except for the dorms and the infirmary.

Xiongzhang waited outside the huge mahogany doors.

"I will go in first." He said, nodding at Lan Zhan.

Lan Zhan nodded back and turned towards Wei Ying, panic on his face openly now.

"Wei Ying." That was all he had to say for Wei Ying to melt into his arms. His body was trembling like a newly born calf, and it made Lan Zhan even more determined to protect him.

Joined like this, a peaceful feeling entered his heart; the long dormant wish to hold his love close finally quenched. Lan Zhan could feel Wei Ying settle almost immediately, calm at last.

"Wei Ying." He said it softly now, wanting to do something else before they went in.

Wei Ying leaned back, and Lan Zhan fitted his lips over those soft ones, eagerly lapping up the taste of his Dancer. He wondered now why he couldn't tell before that they were one and the same? Yet all thoughts vanished as Wei Ying kissed him back with greater passion. Their tongues were on fire, dancing to a rhythm as old as time, learning the language of their hearts. This feeling of contentment, of finally reaching a home that was just theirs, filled them with peace, one that banished any and all fears.

Come what may, they were going to face it together.

A sharp clearing of the throat had them drifting apart. XiChen was looking at his feet, his ears redder than a cockerel's plume.

"Er...Didi... they're waiting for you."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

244K 14.5K 24
[YiZhan fanfiction | COMPLETED] With his good looking face, you surely will turn your head just to follow him. A King in his own castle, slaying you...
2.1M 114K 92
"Why do i have an arranged marriage?! I know! I'm going to run away!" With this, Wei Ying left on his journey to find his destiny, trying to escape f...
36.7K 2.2K 52
MDZS Fanfic Wei Ying was left behind unintentionally by his parents, he been long living in the street of Yilling that he no longer sees himself capa...
112K 7.9K 29
[First place winner Eunoia Awards WangXian category July 2021] After being apart for years, Lan Zhan and Wei Ying are reunited, finally starting thei...