His Reluctant Luna

By AJ_Rella

#1 in Human Mate. #1 in Human Luna. Alpha Kole Maclay has searched for his mate his whole life, and now she'... More

Welcome!!!
Prologue
Ch 1 - A Family Dinner
Ch 2 - This Was How I Died
Ch 3 - The Hard Path
Ch 4 - Bloodthirsty
Ch 5 - Don't Move
Ch 6 - Close Your Eyes
Ch 7 - My Last Hope
Ch 8 - Betray Me
Ch 9 - A Treasured Thing
Ch 10 - Tough To Kill
Ch 11 - Your Fate Is Sealed
Ch 12 - Smile
Ch 13 - You're The Ocean
Ch 14 - Feel Me
Ch 15 - Attack Points
Ch 16 - Pheromones
Ch 17 - Human Traditions
Ch 18 - Liar. Liar. Liar.
Ch 19 - Power
Ch 20 - Bait
Ch 21 - Sacrifice
Ch 22 - My Saviour
Ch 23 - The Edge
Ch 24 - Survival
Ch 25 - Don't Leave Me
Ch 26 - Blood Lust
Ch 27 - Mine
Ch 29 - I Killed My Mate
Ch 30 - I'm Still Here
Ch 31 - Alive and Safe
Ch 32 - Still An Alpha
Ch 33 - Pulse
Ch 34 - Blissful Darkness
Ch 35 - Helpless

Ch 28 - Runaway Female

5.1K 169 24
By AJ_Rella

ATTENTION RADISH READERS! Please don't leave any spoilers in here or you'll be getting a spanking from Iona. Or Kole. Or Konnor. Whoever you'd prefer. 😘

***

Kole.

The wind rushed in my ears as I moved almost in silence through the trees.

North.

That was where my mate had headed. To the road that would lead her to the human world in a matter of hours, less if she managed to hitch a ride. All I could hope was that at this time of night there would be no one around and she would be forced to stay on foot.

I had to catch up to her before she found help. I had to. I would have if it weren't for Kallum. He'd bought her the precious time she needed to get ahead of me.

The thought of her getting away had my wolf snarling and I did my best to ease him.

What if she got away? What if we lost her scent? This land was more dangerous than she knew. She could die out here - was she that desperate to get away from everything my pack and I could offer her?

I understood my brothers actions but my wolf growled at the thought of him. He'd taken our mate away from us - he was an enemy to my wolf now. To me, he was just my messed up brother.

Thoughts of his mutilated body, my gamma and beta broken and unconscious, taunted me. Would they make it? No one aside from my family would blame me if Kallum died, what he had done was treason, punishable by death. Another thing I would have to deal with when I got back, if he lived. There would be a trial and the elders would use any excuse to take him out and right now, I couldn't think of a reason why they shouldn't. He'd nearly cost our family everything and Iona... he'd put her in such danger. If one hair on her head was out of place when I found her, I would hold him personally responsible.

My nostrils flared, the scent of my mate on my tongue. We weren't gaining nearly fast enough - how was she keeping this pace? I growled in frustration. I couldn't afford to be distracted right now. My father would hold down the fort at home. My only goal was her. All I could see was her.

It didn't matter about Kallum or Carrick or Marcus or Kara. My family didn't matter, neither did the ceremony because if I didn't get her in time, it would all be gone. She was the key to my life, my existence, my world. And she was fucking running from me.

Spurred on I pounded my paws into the earth, a rumble in my chest as I made it to the tree line. Pausing, I scented the air. My heart leapt as I realised she was still travelling on foot.

We followed her trail northeast and hope lit up in my chest, we would catch up to her soon, she would be exhausted by now. We ran, pushing ourselves harder than we ever had before - where was she? We should have caught up to her miles ago. My mate was strong, fit, but she was still human. For her to stay ahead of us for this long was impossible. Yet it was happening.

We followed her trail for a mile, two and then...it stopped. It ended.

I paced, searching.

No, no, no....

But it was too late. She was gone.

Konnor threw his head back and howled at the sky. In the distance, far behind us where we'd left our pack, we heard an answering call. Our father. He was sending us help. Konnor's call was dangerous. It would let her know where we were, let the Gulfs know too, but we were going to need help.

I continued my sniffing, pacing the road, the tree line. I could smell rubber where her scent disappeared, a faint stench of dead animal with tobacco smoke mixed in. She'd found a ride...which meant she would be at the town within an hour, maybe more depending on how fast they drove.

I tried not to panic.

A human we could catch up to but a vehicle? That was a problem. A bigger problem was getting hold of her if we did manage to catch up. Any human that caught sight of us had to be killed on sight. I couldn't ram the vehicle off the road. How would I get her away from her human helper?

I huffed, I'd have to figure that out later.

Konnor whined and I looked up, he was worrying at a particular spot in the road where the car had stopped, where the drivers side would be. He pawed at the tarmac - what had he found?

I buried my nose in the spot, my blood beginning to boil as I inhaled. I'd scented this vehicle in town before and remembered the scent. I knew it mixed with blood, female blood. My blood ran cold. My mate had thrown herself from the frying pan into the fire.

Forcing my wolf to stay calm, I followed the scent in my mind, trying to remember anything I could about it. I'd found traces of this scent in other places too. I vaguely remembered a cabin I'd come across years ago. I'd never got close nor visited again, our wolves stayed away from human places, but I'd smelled the same tobacco smoke there. Could the owner of the cabin and the vehicle be the same?

I remembered the cabin was well hidden, just off a barely used slip road that led deep into Yellowstone. If he took her to town, we'd never catch her. If he took her to the cabin first...I didn't want to think about what he would try to do to her but if we got there in time, I could bring her back and I had no qualms about killing a man like that if he saw my wolf.

I set off, praying to the moon I got there first, my brother hot on my heels as we sped through the tree line keeping ourselves hidden. At the fork in the road, we split up and I headed for the cabin, Konnor staying on the main road.

I found the clearing situated off the slip road, the run-down cabin nestled in the trees. There was no vehicle here. Fuck. They must have stayed on the main road.

I was about to turn and double back when my nose pricked up. Blood.

I approached the cabin, following the tire tracks. It had parked here, there was a scuffle here...and here someone had been dragged.

Her.

My female.

He'd dragged her to his cabin.

Growling, the fur on my spine stood up as I stepped inside. Blood. A lot of blood. None of it hers. He'd attacked her and she'd fought him off, but where was she?

The blood trail led in drips over stumbled footsteps, out the back door. But Iona's scent went out the front. She'd knocked him out, taken his keys and got away in his vehicle.

My wolf snarled, torn whether to go after her or her attacker.

As always, I chose her. I stepped out onto the porch. My wolf paced, restless and agitated as we scented the area, seeking her out. Her trail had disappeared again, leaving off where tire tracks started. She could be anywhere by now. I tried not to panic, tried not to let the raging beast inside me free.

Raging at the man that had attacked our mate. I tried to soothe him. He wanted to go after and tear at him but I couldn't. I didn't have time. I returned to the fork in the road, the tracks were confused. Doubling back on themselves multiple times.

Iona would make for the main road, it had the best chance of getting her to town but something had made her turn back. Had she seen something? Heard something? Then it dawned on me...Konnor's howl. She must have heard it and it had sent her in the other direction, further into Yellowstone. That gave me a better chance of catching up to her but a much higher chance of her getting into trouble.

Now I knew she was off the main road, I lifted my head and howled, long and loud, calling to my brother, to the warriors my father would have sent after us to help.

That change in direction had saved her from escaping to a human town. If she'd gone down that road for an hour she would have made it out, I never would have caught up to her in time. My stomach lurched at the thought. But heading into Yellowstone...on foot she wouldn't last a day out there. Eventually she would have to stop, I had no idea how much gas was in that truck.

I paced, frustrated as I waited for my wolves to catch up to me. I itched to go after her, but they needed my orders first.

Finally, heavy paws and wheels sounded in the air and minutes later, five of my warriors arrived in an old Landrover, my brother not far behind them.

They jumped out, the twins, Jake and Jardis first, their dark skin glistening in the moonlight. Then Charlie and Sam, each shirtless, ready for the shift, their blond hair bloody from the battle. I looked at each of them, pleased. My father had sent my fastest warriors.

Last was Siobhan.

Each warrior was littered with blood and wounds but hers were the worst. Whoever she'd fought had taken a good chunk out of her thigh and left deep claw marks across her stomach and down one arm. She'd heal but she shouldn't be here. Either she was the least injured out of the rest of my warriors, or she'd insisted on coming and no one had dared tell her she couldn't. I was betting on the latter.

She opened her mouth to speak but my glare shut her down. My Luna had escaped under her watch and my wolf was not happy to see her.

They approached Konnor in their skin, scenting and greeting but each kept a careful distance from me. It hurt that they feared me so deeply now.

I shifted, wasting no time. "There's blood in the cabin but it's not my mates. It belongs to the man who picked her up and whoever he was, he attacked her. She fought him off and stole his vehicle." They snarled, as furious as I was. "Siobhan, take Charlie and Sam and go after him. I want him found."

"You want him found alive or should we kill on sight?"

"Alive. He might know where she went, how much gas was in that truck, if she's hurt..." I turned to Jake and Jardis. "You two, with us. We're going after her."

"Alpha," Siobhan paused for just a moment before continuing, "the Luna knows me better than them, maybe I should come with -"

"No. You let her escape from you once which means she knows how to take advantage of you." She lifted her chin, her pride injured but I didn't care. She was the reason Iona had been able to get out of the pack house. "Find him."

"I won't fail you again."

"Oh, I know that." The warning in my voice was clear. I wouldn't tolerate another failure from her.

Jake, Jardis and I shifted as one, pausing long enough for Charlie to tie a phone wrapped in a waterproof case to Jake's leg. We split up, nose in the air I pounded the earth, moving like light through the treeline as I chased down my runaway female.

***

A.N. 

I hope you all enjoyed this chapter! 

I wonder if getting Kole's pov is changing any of your opinions about him? Do you like him more or less? Do you understand him better?

See you all in the next one!

AJ

P.S. Early chapters are available on Radish if you can't stand the wait 😉

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

74.3K 2.2K 43
Iris has had a difficult life, running from her past and living like a nomad. She is not a regular wolf. She curses the Moon goddess for the gifts sh...
1M 42.9K 33
-COMPLETED- ~3 Years BEFORE Luna Hana~ The running never bothered her - she had run her entire life. From what? Nothing in particular...at least no...
204K 6.3K 26
A union which was meant to bring peace An encounter in the woods which might destroy it all A scorned mate hell-bent on destruction And two star-cros...
2.4K 80 16
Carl Damien, a powerful and fierce- looking alpha of Moon Stone Pack. Everyone in the pack depended on him, they make demands of him, expecting him t...