Destined for Greatness ✔️

By MarjorieK64

*Book 3 of the Destined Series* Without her sister, her mate, and her friends, Ryleigh has nowhere to turn to... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Author's note

Chapter 13

749 51 138
By MarjorieK64

Humans were funny creatures. In some ways, they were a lot like werewolves, apart from the fact that, obviously, werewolves were vastly superior. Werewolves were stronger, faster, more disciplined. But if there was one thing at which humans were better than werewolves, it was war. Flip open any human history book, and you would find humans fighting against each other. Human bloodthirst was unparalleled.

In any case, walking around the market, seeing flocks of humans bustle about, it was difficult to imagine that these creatures could ever unite enough to wreak havoc. Of course, one might say the same about her own group of outcasts, and Ryleigh knew better than to underestimate these seemingly harmless creatures.

It was Ryleigh's turn to visit the market and get supplies. Parker had joined her in her endeavours, but they had split up to cover more ground. He was on the hunt for meat, while she was in charge of making sure there was some diversity in their diet. She had never been a fan of vegetables, but their human half required it every once in a while.

It was early in the morning, and though it was already busy, they had beat the real crowd. Ryleigh kept her ears and nose piqued while strolling around. It'd been two weeks since her great escape, and no one had reported seeing any Royal Wolves walking around. Perhaps Alder didn't expect them to hide in a human city, or perhaps he knew that the human king wouldn't allow him to patrol Hightower with werewolf troops. Or perhaps Jade had thrown them off their scent, though that was less likely. No, it was much easier to believe that Jade would help them understand the way they thought which would, sooner or later, lead them to Hightower. Jade wasn't aware of their property there – Ryleigh hadn't even been aware – so she wouldn't be able to lead them all the way to their front door, but she would know they were probably hiding somewhere they would draw little attention towards themselves.

Ryleigh moved her basket to her other arm, rolling her shoulders. It was unfortunate that Corbin wouldn't allow them to hunt their own food, but she understand his reasoning. There were woods enough around Hightower, but they were infested with human hunters, bandits, dark mages – all kinds of people a werewolf didn't want to run into. This was safer, though far more tedious.

It was the first time Ryleigh had to go to the market. She'd put it off as long as she could, unwilling to mix with so many lesser beings. Alas, everyone had to play their part and visiting the market worked through rotation, so sooner or later it was bound to be her turn. And today was the day.

She sighed and planted her elbow into the side of someone not moving fast enough. She was so bored that she felt a pang of disappointment when he threw only a few curses at her head and then barged away. She halted at a stall that sold milk and eggs and started bartering with the owner. If she was going to buy healthy things, she was going to get them as cheaply as possible, so there'd be more money left for meat and wine.

It was no small feat buying eggs for two dozen people, especially since Ryleigh knew how much they were prone to eating. She'd need to buy the entire stall. While she stood with her back towards the crowd, her attention was drawn to a group of memories that triggered her. They were memories featuring werewolves. More specifically, they were memories featuring the life of werewolf guards. Of Royal Wolf soldiers.

She paid the farmer for the four dozen eggs and carefully started arranging them into her basket, all the while shooting furtive glances over her shoulder. There was no one in uniform near, but Alder wouldn't have sent people in uniform, both because it would make the humans nervous, and because it would make her catch on to them quicker.

Armed with the eggs, she slipped from the stall, back into the sea of people. She drew her hair forward, so it covered the side of her face. She felt the urge to pull her hood over her head, but it was a beautiful day so not many people had their heads covered, which meant she would stand out more if she did than if she didn't. Her wolf pushed her to make a run for it, but that was about the stupidest thing she could do.

She was right at the centre of Hightower, and she realised the place was infested with guards. What's more, judging by their memories, they had been stationed there for almost a week. She guessed Jade had finally cracked and decided to sell them out.

It was Ryleigh's own stupidity that had gotten her in this situation in the first place. Assuming Jade hadn't armed the guards with a description of every single Shadow Walker, the only people they would recognise were Corbin, Parker and herself. And who were outside? Parker and she. Idiots that they were. It was hybris, really. Thinking that if they hadn't gotten to them in two weeks, they wouldn't at all.

"Parker?" she linked. She looked around just in case he happened to be nearby. He wasn't. If he could just poof them back to their hiding place, all would be fine. What if they had gotten to him already? Fear hit her like an arrow. They would show him no leniency. They'd silver him until he told them everything, only he wouldn't. Parker didn't have the same history with silver that Ryleigh did. He'd be dead within three doses.

"Yeah?"

She released a slow breath and shook her head at herself. "There's Royal Guards everywhere. Teleport home."

"What? I haven't seen anyone. Where are you? I'll come get you."

"They're not in uniform. I don't know where I am. Somewhere in the centre. But it doesn't matter. Just go home. I'll meet you there."

"Ry –"

"Parker, this is an order. Go home. Now."

She increased her pace just enough not to draw suspicion. Perhaps her basket of eggs would make her look like any proper civilian. On the other hand, she was wearing trousers, which was far less acceptable in human societies than it was among werewolves, so she didn't exactly blend in perfectly. Corbin had told her to wear a dress, but stubborn as she was, she'd refused. Stupid pride. Stupid hybris. Stupid – o, Goddess.

She'd been made.

A few guards spotted her from across the square and recognised her. That was: they thought they did. They weren't sure. She monitored their memories as they dug a folded sheet of paper from their pockets. It was a rendering of her – and not a very flattering one, either.

Ryleigh sighed and started running. The eggs danced around in the basket, and a few of them broke, but she'd paid too much for them to leave them behind.

The guards were immediately in pursuit. Had the stakes not been so high, she might have enjoyed the chase.

Who was she kidding? She enjoyed the chase anyway.

She couldn't go back in the direction of their shelter, or she'd lead them directly there. So she shot into a side-street she'd never been in before. She had studied a few maps of Hightower, but nothing ever looked like it did on paper. Being in unfamiliar territory was one thing, but being in an unfamiliar city was something else. She could do with foreign woods, but she wasn't used to streets and squares, markets and alleyways.

The farther removed she got from the market, the less people were around. The guards followed her around a corner and were gaining on her. Those stupid eggs slowed her down. Fine. With an exaggerated sigh, she let the basket slip from her arm, cringing at the sound of utter destruction.

It was a good thing Paige had healed her completely. Her condition still wasn't what it used to be, but at least she had some of her speed back. Her lungs burned and her side was stabbing, but she pushed through. Her wolf itched to get control. They'd be much faster on four legs than two, but by the time they had shifted the guards would have caught up with her.

She turned a corner and stopped dead in her tracks. On the other side of the street another group of guards appeared. They were probably linking each other, and she'd be surrounded in minutes. She turned on her heels and ran back around the corner, half sprinting, half diving into a different direction from which she'd come. The guards who had first pegged her were right behind her then, almost close enough to grab her wildly flying hair.

"Stop!" they called. "In name of the king!"

She rolled her eyes and pushed harder, nearly slipping on the slick stone as she turned the next corner. This one didn't give her any nasty surprises, but she sensed dozens of werewolf memories nearing. It was a matter of time.

"Are you almost home?" Parker linked her. "Offer still stands: I can come get you from anywhere."

"I don't know where 'anywhere' is. They're onto me."

Little, shabby houses were built on either side of the street. One of them had the first floor shutters wide open and without thinking twice, she dove inside, head first, just before the guards came around the corner.

"What? Tell me how I can help."

By working a miracle, but Parker wasn't one for miracles. He was pragmatic. If she couldn't give him a location, he couldn't come get her.

She broke her fall by messily rolling over the floor and ended up on hands and knees. She tipped her head up, looking around her. She'd stumbled right into a cosy living room. Humans were neat-freaks, that much was clear. A woman shrieked and Ryleigh jumped to her feet.

"Quiet!" she said, pressing a finger against her lips. The woman didn't obey her, and from another room, a giant of a man appeared, bushy brows settling low over a square forehead upon seeing her. He'd squish her into dust with just one punch.

Ryleigh lurched towards another door, ripping it open and running into the room without any clue what she was going to find there. It was a bedroom, and two little kids were sleeping, though they woke up and started wailing the second she entered. Great. Just great.

There was a forceful knocking on the front door and she heard the guards asking if they'd seen anyone. Perhaps if the inhabitants had known they were werewolves, they wouldn't have been as eager to let them into their home to apprehend her.

There was another window in the bedroom. She opened the shutters and jumped outside just as the door opened. She grinned and was about to sprint of again, when shadows fell over her. Six guards surrounded her, staring down at her with malice in their eyes and bloodlust in their grins.

"In the name of King Alder, you are under arrest." 

______

A/N: Ry's hardly been free for two seconds, and now she's back in Alder's clutches. Drama is coming ;) 

Thank you for reading!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

213 25 19
Growing up as a packless halfbreed, Jade had heard the horror stories of the pack wolves who live in the woods around her. When you hear nothing but...
1.3M 80.5K 88
Jess has always been a runner. Ever since she met Chris, her life's been turned upside down. Now she's been left in the wreckage alone, with no memo...
23.5K 589 32
Hunter Lakefall, the heir of his pack, is determined to follow in his father's footsteps and become the next alpha. There's just one problem standing...
12.4K 414 81
Cecily Turner has grown up fighting against the pack that killed her mother, the ones that seek to over power every pack before taking out the King o...