Solstice Souls

By edzooc8r

Two famous clans of the Cultivational world, forever at odds because of a curse, are trapped in a war they ca... More

Bedtime Story
Birthday Present
Searching for Someone
Best Of The Best
Proving His Worth
Adversaries
Invitation
Dinner Guests
Shenanigans of a Drunken Jade
The Duel of Duals
Wanting, Needing
Deepest Desires
Awestruck A-Ying
Hidden Agendas
Sword Seduction
Of Swords and Other Blades
Family Reunion
War of Words
Forbidden Love
Broken Jade
The Blame Game
Two-legged Beasts
Nightmarish Hunt
Creatures of the Night
Seeking Judgement
Mist Covered Paths
A Son's Duty
All Kinds of Thirst
Medicinal Magic
Under The Moonlight
Visiting Friends
Thieves of Time
The Key To Their Hearts
Soul Searching
Fated Sons
Fortune and Faith
The Verdict
Lessons in Love
First Introductions
Nurturing and Lotus Flowers
A Broken Brotherhood
Of Sound Heart and Mind
Punishment
Insights and Monsters
A Healing Touch
Confessions of the Heart
Understand
Dreamers of the Day
Mother Knows Best
A Promise to Protect
Home Is Where The Heart Is
Truth or Dare
Shattered Trust
The Grand Tour
Cloak And Dagger
Know Your Enemy
Waterfalls
Love Is Blind
Weapons, Words, and Worship
Three Beasts, Three Tests, One Truth
Harmony From Discord
The Truth of the Past
Tales of the Past
The Story of Soulmates Past
When the Past Meets the Present
And So The Plot Thickens
Solstice Souls 2: Black Fire, White Flame

A Spanner (Wrench) in the Works

1.2K 170 67
By edzooc8r

Lan Zhan POV

Lan Zhan wiped his hands on his pristine white robes, annoyed at the clamminess. Why was he so nervous? Wei Ying was inside...just behind these doors.

But so were his parents.

Wei Ying's father who probably hated him, for two reasons now: firstly for being a Lan, and even worse, one of the twin Jades, and secondly because he thought Lan Zhan had committed the crime of attacking his wife...and actually there was a third reason now.

What if Wei Ying had told his father about their upcoming wedding, and he was against it?

Only one way to find out, because Lan Zhan did not back away from a challenge. And besides, he had already made his promises.

So he pushed open the door and entered.

Both men of the Wei Clan turned to stare at him.

Lan Zhan quickly bowed, his heart thundering in his chest, but he tried to regulate his breathing.

Wei Ying bounced up to him and took his hand.

"It's alright, Lan Zhan. Calm down. I told him everything."

It took everything he had for Lan Zhan to focus, to look into those warm sparkling, silver eyes, so full of affection for him. Lan Zhan just wanted to hold him close, sure that that would make him feel better...but Wei Changze was already glaring at him.

He bowed again just because he was nervous.

"You can stop doing that now." Wei Ying told him with a giggle.

How Lan Zhan loved the sound!

"So...you intend to marry my son?" Wei Changze stepped forward.

"Mn."

There was a definite chill in the room.

Beyond him, Lan Zhan could see Wei Ying's mother lying on the bed behind him. She looked...familiar somehow. Her features were still, but he could see the resemblance between her and her beautiful son, who was walking him forward now.

"Mama, I hope you can hear me...I pray that you can. This is Lan WangJi, Lan Zhan of the Lan Clan from Gusu. Grandmother said we are soulmates, destined to be together. So much happened when we went to meet her, but look!" Wei Ying held up his wrist, and then with his other hand, he held up Lan Zhan's wrist too, so that both of their bracelets were visible.

There was a gasp from behind them.

"Let me see those!" Wei Changze demanded.

Wei Ying turned them around so they were facing him. He came right up to them and extended his finger and thumb to touch the fish on Wei Ying's bracelet, but suddenly, the moment his skin made contact with the precious stone, a ripple of black energy zapped his body, making him stumble back, even as the red ruby eye flashed on the Yin symbol.

Lan Zhan went to assist him, and he grudgingly accepted as Wei Ying pulled up a stool for him to sit.

"So it's true?"

"Looks like it, Baba. How are you feeling?" Wei Ying asked him.

"It was just a repellent... because I touched it unexpectedly. However..." he tapped his nose, thinking hard. "I bet, if you learned how to channel your spiritual energy into it, it could become a weapon, no?"

Both he and Wei Ying stared first at him, and then at each other. Was this true? Could they do that?

"We should totally practice, Lan Zhan!" Wei Ying declared, excitedly.

"Mn." Lan Zhan stared at his own bracelet, touching the white Yang fish, the gold eye flashing at him, but nothing happened to him.

Wei Ying pulled him forward by his wrist.

Was it possible to burn by touch alone? Where Wei Ying's finger and thumb were holding onto his skin, the heat from his skin was simply scorching. Lan Zhan would gladly go wherever Wei Ying wanted to take him.

"Here, Baba. Touch this. Oh my god, I'm doing it again! I'm talking like you!" Wei Ying burst into cheerful laughter, clutching his sides.

"You must be joking!" Wei Changze told his son, but he had a smile on his face. "You want me to be the guinea pig? Why don't you touch it instead?"

"Nothing happens to me. Look!"

Wei Ying picked up Lan Zhan's wrist and before he could say anything, brought it to his mouth. Ever so gently, those beautiful soft lips kissed first the Yang symbol, and then he kissed the pulse, the place that moved with his heart, all the while watching him through his lashes, his alluring silver eyes unblinking, with a hundred percent of his attention.

Lan Zhan was burning up from just the look in his eyes. He wanted to-

There was a loud cough from behind them, and they jumped apart. Lan Zhan could hear nothing above the thud-thud-thudding of his heart in his ears, but then Wei Ying winked at him before shamelessly turning around to face his father.

"See, Baba?"

Wei Changze beckoned them forward and lowered his voice.

"While you were gone, I tried finding out if there was anything suspicious here."

"We were also wondering." Wei Ying put his arm around his father.

Lan Zhan looked at them and felt a pang in his chest. He couldn't remember the last time his father had done that to him...in fact, he knew it. His father had never sat with him like that, or spoken so affectionately with him, or joked, and they had never smiled together, either.

But instead of feeling jealous of Wei Ying and his relationship with his parents, Lan Zhan just felt extremely relieved. And happy for them. And, if they were to be related through marriage, he should make the first step to mending their bridges. So he stepped forward.

"Must apologize. Did not mean to hurt Lady Wei. First time injury." Lan Zhan bowed.

"He means when he actually attacked her...you know, when he'd just found out who I was, and who we were." Wei Ying translated for him.

Lan Zhan gave him a small smile.

"Second time, not me. But questions."

"Go on." Wei Changze kept his eyes on Lan Zhan, not looking away.

Lan Zhan also stared back, hoping to reassure him that he was innocent.

"Night hunt. We left, but Lady Wei-"

"Was right next to you, Baba. Why did she go? What happened?" Wei Ying finished for him. He came and stood next to Lan Zhan, reaching for his hand.

"Jiang Fengmian called me over to talk about trade routes. He was saying the road that leads to Yilling was becoming dangerous day by day, and we were discussing possible solutions. When I turned around, Madam Yu was there instead. I thought your mother had forgotten something... that's right, she mentioned it was going to rain, so I thought she went back to retrieve an umbrella. I had no idea she was chasing you two in the forest, or else I would have gone after her." He looked devastated.

"Grandmother had a theory about that." Wei Ying said, also keeping his voice low.

"Oh? You should explain." Wei Changze leaned forward, interested.

"When we told her what happened, she thought Lan Zhan was being set up, because otherwise, why would he try to protect us?" Wei Ying squeezed his hand. "And he did, Baba. When we came back that night, I had a bad fever, and I couldn't remember everything that happened...but later on...later on, when we were telling grandmother, that's when I remembered. Grandmother thought Madam Yu told Mama about the Douji."

Understanding bloomed almost immediately upon his face.

"That's why your mother left!"

"Mn."

"Yes, Baba! Doesn't it make sense?"

"Yes it does. I found something too."

He was just about to tell them when the doors of the infirmary burst open, and Madam Yu strode in, followed by Jiang Fengmian.

"Ah, it is good you are all here." She announced.

Lan Zhan stood in front of Wei Ying, keeping a hold on his hand. There was no way he would let Wei Ying be scared of her now.

"Did it work? Our plan?" Wei Ying whispered next to his ear.

He nodded imperceptibly.

Wei Ying squeezed his hand to show he'd understood.

"Lan XiChen had to be summoned back from Cloud Recesses. He's waiting for us now in Swords Hall." She finished, looking triumphant for some reason.

Lan Zhan was so glad to hear that. It had only been a few days since he'd seen his brother, but he was already missing him. Lotus Cove was nice, or it could be if a certain person wasn't around, but nothing beat family. This would be another person on his side, albeit in ignorance, because they couldn't tell him the truth.

Yet.

Wei Changze stood up.

"Then let's go. But you should explain why he had to be called back."

Madam Yu looked at him in surprise and then her sharp eyes flitted to Wei Ying and Lan Zhan.

"Didn't they already explain?"

"Explain what?" Wei Changze asked, innocently.

"The fact that we stumbled upon another Wen attack. On the way back from the Celestial Immortal's home. Then what were you talking about!?!" Her gaze narrowed at Wei Ying.

Lan Zhan stood so that Wei Ying was completely hidden by his long sleeves.

"Madam Yu will surely understand that the verdict bestowed upon us is a substantial sacrifice. And being so utterly unexpected, it is the only thing the boys could talk about. I'm so glad I can talk to an adult who was there. Please, tell me more." Wei Changze smoothly led her out, and got her to explain all about the attack on the villagers.

"Is Wei Ying alright?" Lan Zhan turned towards him the moment she had gone.

"I will be." Wei Ying reached up and kissed his cheek. "Thank you for looking after me."

"No need for thanks. Come."

They followed behind the others.

"I bet you missed your brother, huh?" Wei Ying grinned at him. "I don't think he likes me very much."

"Xiongzhang does not know you. Yet." Lan Zhan replied, determination in his voice.

They reached Swords Hall where Madam Yu and Jiang Fengmian were already seated. Next to them on their right, Wei Changze sat with another empty seat.

Lan XiChen sat on their left, the only other empty seat next to him, waiting for Lan Zhan.

Both of them understood that they would have to sit separately here now. Wei Ying gave him an apologetic look before joining his father, and Lan Zhan went to sit next to his brother.

Wei Ying was looking nervous and, if Lan Zhan was honest, he felt a little out of sorts himself. Why had the Jiangs called XiChen back?

"I'm sure you're wondering why we had to call you back so soon." Madam Yu said, breaking the silence.

"Actually, I was planning on returning as soon as I could." XiChen told her.

She masked her surprise.

"Oh? Whatever for?"

"Why don't you go first?" XiChen replied, a calm smile upon his face.

Lan Zhan was so glad he had learned to control his expression early on. He made the mistake of catching Wei Ying's eye, and the latter snorted out a laugh.

"Is something amusing to you?" She turned her furious eyes on him.

"No...not at all. Something in my throat." Wei Ying lied. He winked at Lan Zhan when he thought no one was looking.

"We thought the attack on that village, and the increasingly dangerous road between here and Yilling, ought to be discussed, that's all." Madam Yu gave her most succinct reply. "You?"

"I was sent by our Elders. They do not accept the verdict presented by the Celestial Immortal, and wish to investigate further. I am to escort both Lan WangJi and Wei WuXian back to Cloud Recesses."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

36.9K 2.2K 52
MDZS Fanfic Wei Ying was left behind unintentionally by his parents, he been long living in the street of Yilling that he no longer sees himself capa...
244K 14.5K 24
[YiZhan fanfiction | COMPLETED] With his good looking face, you surely will turn your head just to follow him. A King in his own castle, slaying you...
76.6K 1.8K 50
Adventures of Wei wuxian and Lan wangji after marriage and some random wangxian one shots. Mainly contains smut and fluff so read at your own risk A...
139K 7K 43
*completed* What if after 10 years of their marriage Wei Ying died. Having no golden core he cannot live long with his husband Lan Zhan. Devastated...