centre | newtmas au

By aceofangeIs

newt is at boarding school, and shares a room with thomas - the most insufferable person he has ever met - bu... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
Epilogue
Author's letter

40

1.1K 30 38
By aceofangeIs

Newt 

Newt looked at her in silence , his mouth hanging slightly open. Thoughts sped through his mind, at a pace so fast he could barely stop them. He tried to latch on to any one of them, in order to respond, to say something. But he was speechless. 

"I can't believe it " she said. "Mary told me you were coming, but I didn't believe her. Not until I saw you" 

"Bloody hell" Newt said, at last. 

Sonya looked at him, and laughed. Her eyes were big, and brown and begged so much of him. He hoped he'd be able to be the brother she deserved. 

"Can I ask something?" Newt said, directing his speech toward Mary. She nodded. 

"How can you be sure?" he asked, a slight shake in his voice. "That we're siblings, I mean"

Mary nodded, and Newt watched as she turned over her answer in her head.

"During my time at WCKD, I had access to all the files for the various Maze trials-"

"Sorry, did you say various?" Newt exclaimed. 

"Oh yes, sorry. I forget you don't know" Mary responded. "You were the second group we evacuated, Sonya's was the first. Her maze was group B, yours group A"

Mary paused and looked out across the water. "We know there are many others, and I am making it my mission to bring them here, to safety, like I did for you. I won't rest until all you kids are safe. These trials-" she sighed. "I should've seen through the haze. I should've seen what WCKD truly stood for for the second I got there. I wanted to do what was right so badly, I should've-"

"But you see it now" Sonya said, cutting her off, and placing a pale hand atop of Mary's arm, which was freckled and browned by the sun. "That's what matters" 

Newt knew then the love he would feel for his sister. He saw her intelligence, her awareness, her care for others, so clearly then that it was stifling. 

"You got us out" Newt said. "And because you did, I get a chance at life. We all do" he added, gesturing to the boys from his maze, and the girls from Sonya's. They were standing in separate and awkward clumps in the sand. He laughed quietly underneath his breath. He hoped this would teach some of them how to talk to girls, at the very least. 

He saw his brown haired boy standing on the edge of the group, keeping a watchful - and respectful - eye over him. 

Sonya nodded in agreement. "You have already done enough. You have turned your back on WCKD, even after it became everything you knew. To do that takes strength" 

As she said these words, Newt turned to glance at Teresa. Teresa had known nothing but WCKD, had seen it as a force for good. But she too, had left it behind, despite all things that tied her to it. He admired her then too. 

"Thank you" Mary said, a smile beginning to tug at the corners of her mouth. "You two are already showing me how alike you are. I'm glad to have brought you together"

At this, Sonya and Newt glanced at each other. In her, he saw himself. Yes, in the dirty blonde hair, the angles of her jaw, and the deep brown of her eyes. But also in her heart, in the way she cared for others, and in her strength. He knew they had far to go to truly see each other with the love and understanding that only existed between siblings. But he felt it already tugging at his heart, tying them together. He cautiously stepped forward, but she had no patience for his uncertainty, and hugged him tightly. She already felt bright and warm to him, like sunshine. 

Afterwards, he headed back to his group, leaving Sonya to hers. As he approached, the boys turned to face him, an expectant look in their eyes. Only Thomas had heard Sonya's introduction. 

"So, who's the girl?" Gally asked. 

"My sister" Newt stated, watching their eyes. He saw surprise and shock in some, and sparks of hope in others. He wasn't sure everyone's long-lost siblings would be roaming these beaches, but he wouldn't dare distinguish their happiness. With or without big reunions, there was a lot to be hopeful for. 

The boys eventually dispersed after they shared his joy with him, and only Thomas remained. 

"A sister, huh?" he said. 

"A sister" Newt replied. 

"She has your eyes" 

Newt smiled.

Thomas walked over to a log that was half buried in the sand, and sat down on top of it. He patted the empty space beside him, and Newt filled it. 

They both watched in silence as the other boys milled around them, some approaching other members of the Safe Haven, others sticking together. A young boy walked past the log and mumbled a shy greeting to them. He had curly hair, and was stout, with red cheeks. He wore beige cargo shorts and had his fist clenched around something. 

"Hey" Thomas called out to the boy before he had passed them entirely. His head turned and he shuffled back through the sand towards them. 

"H-hi" the boy said, smiling through his stutter. 

"We're new here" Thomas said, kindly. "Are you new as well?" 

The boy shook his head. "I've been here about two months" 

The boy was silent for a moment, but it seemed he had more to say. Both boys waited patiently, the silence resting in the humid air. 

"I'm Chuck" he said. 

"I'm Newt" Newt said, "and this is Thomas. It's nice to meet you, Chuck"

"I heard about what you did, Thomas" Chuck said, sitting down on a patch of grass near the edge of the sand. "To get here I mean. You risked your life"

Thomas nodded. 

"I'd like to do that for somebody some day, you know. It's brave" Chuck paused." And it's pretty cool" 

Newt looked at Thomas through the corner of his eye, and saw the faintest hint of a smile playing on his lips. 

"Well, Chuck, I hope you don't ever have to. There's plenty other ways to show you're brave" Thomas said. "Like Newt, for example. When I got into the maze, I couldn't remember my own damn name. But for whatever reason-" he paused. "Whatever miraculous reason, I could remember him" 

Thomas continued. "He dropped the water he was carrying and he held me. Even when he wasn't physically there, I've felt him holding me up through every second of bullshit I've faced ever since I set foot in that place. He's the only piece of me that I've never had to lose." 

Newt felt his heart jolt with the intensity of the love it carried. 

"So you see, Chuck" Thomas concluded. "Newt, even when he was scared and wanted to give up or stop fighting, he didn't. He held me instead, and led me by the hand through all the hard stuff. He's brave every day, in everything he does. He made me braver too." 

Thomas looked at Newt fleetingly, but with a beautiful fire burning behind his pupils.

"You are too, in your own way" he finished, his eyes back on Chuck. 

Newt felt hot tears prickling at his eyes, and reached for Thomas' hand on the log beside him. Once he felt it, he squeezed it tight. 

"Maybe you're right" Chuck said, picking at the grass by his feet. A comfortable, contemplative silence hung over the three of them for a few moments. 

"What's in your hand, there?" Thomas asked, eventually breaking the silence. Chuck breathed deeply before bringing his clenched fist out from where it was resting beside him, and opened it up. 

He held a small carved object in his hand, reminiscent of a man. There was dirt in it's groves, and Newt guessed he carried it everywhere with him. 

"What's that?" Newt asked. 

"I made it for my mom and dad" Chuck said. "I don't remember them, but I like to think they would've liked it if they ever got to see it" 

"They would've loved it" Newt responded, gently. Chuck smiled at this, and looked at it for a moment before placing it in one of the pockets of his cargo shorts. 

"I better go" Chuck said, getting up and beginning to walk away. "I'll see you around" 

"Bye" both boys replied, watching the back of his head as he moved further away from them. After he joined a crowd of other Safe Haven members and was almost indistinguishable, Newt turned to Thomas. 

"Did you mean all of that, Tommy?" Newt asked. 

"Every word" Thomas replied. 

hey guys!

sorry (again) that it's been so long. november until now has been hectic with school etc. so i neglected to post. but it was also because i didn't really want to finish this either </3

we're not quite finished yet though, so hang tight. but it won't be long this time, i promise!

hope you're all well :)))

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

57.9K 2K 27
Newt has a snobby, rich family that never leaves him alone about his love life. It's not that he doesn't have one- oh he does. His family is just fu...
120K 4.3K 14
When Thomas' best friend and neighbour Minho gets a new step-brother, Thomas is suddenly interested. All characters belong to James Dashner
529 12 8
Newt was dearly hoping for a miracle to get them out of the Maze, Thomas just wanted an easy way out. In where one thing changed everything except th...
50.1K 1.4K 20
Thomas couldn't stop staring at Dylan the first day they met on The Maze Runner set. Will Thomas fall for Dylan? Will Dylan feel the same? Find out i...