Unchained Melody

By DarkIsland2

Haseena, a single mother and a domestic abuse survivor, ends up attracting the Lawyer. The conflicting belief... More

Prologue
CH:2- What, Why & Embarrassments
CH:3- Hot & Cold
CH:4- Friend, Foe, Or Beau?
CH:5- Wanting to be with YOU
CH:6- Thinking of YOU
CH:7- So Close Yet So Far
CH:8- Knowing YOU & About YOU
CH:9- Past, Present & Confessions
CH:10- Solace, Endearment & Differences
CH:11- It's Either YOU or No One!
CH:12- A Step Closer?
CH:13- The Predicament of Knowing
CH:14- Growing into YOU
CH:15- I'm falling for YOU, Everyday!
CH:16- Rebuttal, Possessiveness, & Inclination
CH:17- Obsessed! But, Who?
CH:18- Is it Indifference or Facade?
CH:19- Love-And it's forms
CH:20- The Game of Seduction
CH:21- You Hold me Together!
CH:22- Whispers of the Heart
CH:23- Moving Forward
CH:24- You are mine!
CH:25- What made you choose me?
CH:26- Time Well Spent!
CH:27- Certainty, Faithfulness, & Attachment
CH:28- Consuming Insatiable Frenzy
CH:29- Warmth, Devotion, & Perseverance
CH:30- The New Beginnings!
Thank You!
~An Announcement~

CH:1- Should I Stay or Leave?

3.1K 232 24
By DarkIsland2

"Maa! I don't understand, Why would you have a Pakistani as your tenant?" Karishma said in a distraught tone. "There are so many others that you can have as your tenant, but, Why them only?"

"Karishma, Beta! They are our own people. Tell me one thing, Weren't you dating a Pakistani last year, and now when he ghosted you then you have developed a problem with a whole community. Is that right to hold a prejudice against people because one did something?" Pushpa Ji asked in a calm manner. "Moreover, the girl that I have as our tenant is about your age but she is a single mother. When I looked at her, she reminded me of myself. I didn't have anyone to help me back then but I wanted to be her helping hand. Tell me if I did something wrong?" She placed her hand on Karishma's shoulder and made her look at her.

Karishma Sighed. "No, you didn't do anything wrong. So, when will they be moving in?" she asked as she started collecting her things from the table.

"They have already moved all of their stuff. Tonight will be their first night here," Pushpa Ji informed her about the arrival of their new tenants without looking at Karishma.

"What? I thought you were asking my permission but look at you, you have planned and done everything?" Karishma said as anger started building inside her once again.

"If I had told you about that earlier, you would have never let me do that," Pushpa Ji said in a low voice as she turned her back on Karishma.

"Arrrrgggghhhh......" Karishma scowled. "That's the thing with the desi parents—-their ultimate weapon is emotional blackmailing. Do what you like, I don't even care anymore." After saying that she just stormed out of the house.

"Koi Baat Nahi...Shaam Ko aye gi, tou kuch accha aana kar khila do gi," Pushpa Ji thought as she could hear the car engine blazing outside.

_______________________

At some other part of New York City, Haseena was struggling with her five-year-old.

"Wake up, Missshh," Haseena said as she removed the duvet from her. "We are getting late, we have to meet our new landlord, then I have to drop you off at school, and, don't forget today's mama's first day at work. Would you like her to be late?"

Misha jumped out of the bed. "No, I don't want you to be late because of me," she said as she placed a kiss on her cheeks while wrapping her hands around Haseena's neck and legs around her waist.

"That's like Mama's girl", Haseena said as she wrapped her arms around her bundle of joy and moved towards the bathroom. After having their breakfast both of them got ready and left to see their new home for the next two years.

_______________________

"Main aap logon ka hi wait kar rahi thi," Pushpa Ji said as she welcomed Haseena and Misha.

"Hum aapke bahut hi shukar guzar hai, Pushpa Ji, Aap ne humari bhoat madad ki hai," Haseena said as she hugged her and entered the house.

"Ase Nahi Kehte Haseena Bacche, apno ko shukriya kon kehta hai aur wase bhi tum meri bacchi ki tarah hi ho," Pushpa Ji said as she pointed towards the couch in the living room.

Haseena sat on the couch while Misha just stood close to her mother and was continuously playing with her hands or hair as she simultaneously switched between the two.

"Aap ne apni beti se baat ki, Aap ne bataya gusse ki bhoat taeez hain, tou wo man gayi," Haseena asked in one breath, impatiently.

"Mane gi kase nahi, meri beti hai, us ke to acche acche bhi mane gaye," Pushpa Ji said in a boastful voice.

Haseena just smiled at her antics. "Aap bhoat acchi hai," she said genuinely.

"Bus Bhi Karo, Kitni Tareef Karo gi," Pushpa Ji said. "Chalo upper chal Kar dhek lo, sab saman acche se rakha gaya hai ya nahi."

Haseena nodded and followed Pushpa Ji while looking around the house. It was a two-story house. The first floor has three rooms which include Pushpa Ji's bedroom, her daughter's bedroom, and the study. They had an open kitchen which was connected with the living room. Their floor was simple yet chic—-not too overbearing but filled with all the necessities in a tasteful manner. It was the one flight of stairs that were connecting both of their floors. As soon as they climbed up the first thing they saw was the living room and on the right side there was an open kitchen which was connected to the living room, then there were two rooms with an attached bath. Haseena was extremely happy after finding such a residence at a reasonable price and that too with no man in the family. "It was just sheer luck," she thought.

"Theek hai na, Sab?" Pushpa Ji asked as she looked at Haseena.

"Ji, Sab Behtreen hai, Misha tou bhoat Khush thi, jab hum aap se mil kar gaye the last time," Haseena said as she looked at Misha. "Tell aunty, Why were you so happy?"

Misha looked at Haseena momentarily and started speaking excitedly, "Aap Ke pass backyard hai, aunty. Main aur Mamma wah per khel sakte hain." she clasped her hands together in excitement.

Pusha Ji bent over her and after caressing her cheeks with a little pout, she said "Don't call me aunty, little one. Call me, Pushpee. Okay!"

Misha nodded her head positively and moved closer to Haseena, to avoid the close proximity with Pushpa Ji.

"Please, Bura mat manye ga, Abhi aap ko janti nahi hai, Isliye ase behave kar rahi hai, jab aap se use to ho jaye gi, tab dekhiye ga," Haseena tried to explain the reason behind the distant behavior of Misha.

"Aree...Jante Hain Hum, Itna a pereshan kyu ho jati ho her baat per," Pushpa Ji said as she tapped her cheeks lightly.

"Chaliye, Hum Nikalte hain, Sham ko Milte hain aur aaj aap ki beti se bhi mulakat ho jaye gi," Haseena said as they started moving downstairs.

After leaving Pushpa Ji's house, Haseena dropped Misha at her school, and then took the commute for her job. She moved out of New York City after living there for over three years. She felt the city was too cramped up and she needed something quieter, so they moved to the neighboring state, New Jersey. She liked it here, It was less crowded in comparison to New York and a lot of Pakistani and Indian community was around. She felt more like home, here. The past month was full of stress and before she knew it passed in a blink of an eye in between the job hunt and the shifting. She was so relaxed that she was able to find a job close to her new residence. It was a law office which was run by a single lawyer and there were five to six people who were working under her. She couldn't meet the boss at her interview as she was in the court but the office manager seemed super nice and the pay was good, so she just jumped on the job. Her chain of thoughts was broken on the announcement of her stop, she got off the bus and started walking towards the office.

"Who hired her?" Those were the first words she heard upon her entrance and saw a young woman leaning on the office manager and staring at her in a very grave manner.

"Haven't I told you, not to hire any Pakistanis," Karishma asked with an irate tone. "Why do you guys never listen to me? Call her and tell her, we have hired someone else." After saying that she was about to move into her office when a voice stopped her.

"Aap khud hi bata dain, Ma'am," Haseean said as she folded her hands on her chest and stared at Karishma's back.

"Who are....." Karishma's words remained stuck in her throat as she turned and looked at Haseena who was gazing at her in a peaceful manner. She felt a discord between her brain and larynx after looking at her, she reminded her of him in a lot of different ways. But her eyes were the ones that distracted her. They were intelligent, captivating, and mysterious—-so deep as if they were holding a lot of secrets in them.

"I am the new hire, so please tell me, ma'am, Should I stay or leave?" Haseena asked as she took a step forward towards Karishma and stood in front of her while keeping a distance of at least three to four inches.

"Stay," she heard herself saying, and after saying that she didn't stay there for another moment, she went into her cabin and closed the door with a loud thud behind.

"Aren't you the lucky one?" Sandrine (African American) moved towards her and welcomed her on board.

"I guess, I am," Haseena said as she moved towards Karishma's room because her desk was set up inside her cabin. All other staff members had different compartments and they usually work there except the receptionist which has her desk towards the main entrance.

"I wish you best of luck," Haseena heard someone saying as she entered Karishma's cabin.

"I don't like slackers," Karishma said as she saw Haseena entering her cabin. "Also, Remember, one mistake and you will be out of this office." She looked at her with raised eyebrows and warning written all over her face.

"Yes, Ma'am," Haseena uttered.

"Miss. Singh for you," Karishma said as she sat on her chair and pointed Haseena towards her desk which was right opposite to hers. "What's your qualifications?"

"I have done Bachelors in Business Management and I am going for...," Haseena was about to add something more when she was interrupted by Karishma.

"If you don't mind me asking, exactly, How old are you?" Karishma asked in a condescending tone.

"There is nothing to be mind, about, Miss Singh. I am twenty-nine soon to be thirty," Haseena replied while looking into Karishma's eyes with a smile on her face.

"Aahaan.....HR told me that you are a single mother?" Karishma asked, still having the same tone.

"Yes, Ma'...I'm sorry, Miss Singh," Haseena said while feeling uncomfortable, she didn't like where this conversation was going.

"So, Who was the father?" Karishma asked while maintaining the same condescending tone.

Haseena shifted on her chair, a lump started forming in her throat—- she clasped her hands together tightly to avoid the memory of the unbearable load of her past. After taking a few deep breaths, she said, " I got divorced after seven months of my marriage. At the time of divorce, I was four months pregnant." She completed her sentence with great difficulty as her voice started breaking up.

"Hmmm......" Karishma uttered. She was continuously watching Haseena's deteriorating condition and seeing her this way, made her feel like someone has put the medicine on her wounded heart. Let's commence with today's schedule then, she announced loudly.

Haseena looked at her upon her call and after nodding her head, she moved towards her with pen and notepad for a dictation.

Karishma saw her approaching her desk, she had her head down but her eyes which were smiling a few minutes back had turned red due to their conversation, and while standing in front of her, she said, "You can begin, Miss Singh."

She wants to feel happy and satisfied after taking a dig at Haseena earlier but after looking at her eyes, she felt ashamed of herself; however, she was not willing to accept it.

"Miss Singh, You can begin," Haseena called out once again, "I am taking down the notes for your upcoming meetings, so I can plan them accordingly," she said while fidgeting with a pen and notepad in her hand.

Karishma looked at her momentarily and then started dictating to her about the cases, all the upcoming events, and client meetings. On the other hand, while taking down notes, Haseena wished not to see her face anywhere after work. But both of them didn't know that fate had something else planned for them. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

57.5K 9.6K 57
First love hurts Second love heals From the writer of BE MEANT TO BE & FROM THE BIRTH, ITS ONLY YOU Keep Supporting for more Kareena stories With Gr...
28.8K 3.7K 25
sᴏ ʜᴇʀᴇ ɪ ᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴡɪᴛʜ sᴇᴀsᴏɴ 𝟸 ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴏsᴛ ᴅᴇᴍᴀɴᴅᴇᴅ ɪᴛᴠ sᴇʀɪᴀʟ ᴍᴀᴅᴅᴀᴍ sɪʀ❤️..ʜᴇʀᴇ ʏᴏᴜ ɢᴜʏs ɢᴏᴛ ᴡɪᴛɴᴇss ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ɴᴇᴡ ᴊᴏᴜʀɴᴇʏ ᴏғ ᴍᴘᴛ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀs ᴀғᴛᴇʀ ᴛʜᴇ ʙᴏ...
862 63 2
Ishq ke seven stages hote hain :Dilkashi (attraction), uns (infatuation), ishq (love), aqidat (trust), ibadat (worship), junoon (madness) and maut (d...