Witch Doctors Inc: SEASON ONE...

By IsabelCavesAuthor

🌟WATTYS 2023 SHORTLIST 🌟WATTYS 2023 FANS CHOICE AWARDS NOMINEE 🌟WATTYS 2022 SHORTLIST 🌟Editor's Pick (Re... More

EPISODE ONE : The Awakening
Part 1.1
Part 1.2
Part 1.3
Part 1.4
Part 1.5
Part 1.6
Part 1.7
Part 1.8
Part 1.9
Part 1.10
Part 1.11
Part 1.12
Part 1.13
Part 1.14
Author's Note
EPISODE TWO : Orb of Ariadne
Part 2.1
Part 2.2
Part 2.3
Part 2.4
Part 2.5
Part 2.6
Part 2.7
Part 2.8
Part 2.9
Part 2.10
Part 2.11
Part 2.12
Part 2.13
Part 2.14
Part 2.15
Author's Note
EPISODE THREE : Forest of Hearts
Part 3.1
Part 3.2
Part 3.3
Part 3.4
Part 3.5
Part 3.6
Part 3.7
Part 3.8
Part 3.9
Part 3.10
Part 3.11
Part 3.12
Part 3.13
Part 3.14
Part 3.15
Part 3.16
Part 3.17
Author's Note
EPISODE FOUR : Cursed Dolls
Part 4.1
Part 4.2
Part 4.3
Part 4.4
Part 4.5
Part 4.6
Part 4.7
Part 4.8
Part 4.9
Part 4.10
Part 4.11
Part 4.12
Part 4.13
Part 4.14
Part 4.15
Part 4.16
Part 4.17
Part 4.18
Part 4.19
Part 4.20
Part 4.21
Part 4.22
Author's Note
EPISODE FIVE : Wicked Things
Part 5.1
Part 5.2
Part 5.3
Part 5.4
Part 5.5
Part 5.7
Part 5.8
Part 5.9
Part 5.10
Part 5.11
Part 5.12
Part 5.13
Part 5.14
Part 5.15
Part 5.16
Part 5.17
Part 5.18
Part 5.19
Part 5.20
Part 5.21
Part 5.22
Part 5.23
Part 5.24
Part 5.25
Part 5.26
Part 5.27
Author's Note
EPISODE SIX: The Dark Witch
Part 6.1
Part 6.2
Part 6.3
Part 6.4
Part 6.5
Part 6.6
Part 6.7
Part 6.8
Part 6.9
Part 6.10
Part 6.11
Part 6.12
Part 6.13
Part 6.14
Part 6.15
Author's Note

Part 5.6

260 50 200
By IsabelCavesAuthor

The cart whizzes past us, honking furiously.

"Give me a break," I mutter.

I wasn't standing that far off the pavement.

Me and Addy are waiting for Maya to show up with her flying carts. Onyx couldn't come because they haven't trialled animals in them yet.

I draw my coat around me. Twilight infuses the city with unearthly colours. The crystal towers above glint with emerald, rose pink and lilac. Down below where we are, the buildings are a patchwork of opaque and clear magnamite. Where the magnamite is clear - in windows, rotating doors, and embellishments - my reflection follows my every move. It's there in the duller crystal too, but fainter, and deeper.

I used to find it uncomfortable, living in a city of mirrors. Now my reflection is just that - a reflection. A face with eyes and lips and a nose. I don't see my failures staring back at me.

Zilitron is busy this evening. People strut past, in and out of buildings,, snapping into their communication monitors. Carts whoosh though the spaces in between buildings, their sleek exteriors winking at us as they pass. From somewhere unseen a busker's call weaves through pedestrians. "The apocalypse is coming! Save yourself!"

Addy can barely contain her excitement when we hear the soft whir of an engine above us. Three carts begin their descent through the buildings.

"They're here," Addy squeals. "Lily, this is going to be SO much fun!"

They really do look like little spaceships. They're round in shape, no more than ten paces wide, with crystal embellishments that throw back squares of light our way.

One cart lands in front of us, while the other two hover in wait. Someone hops out. I recognise Maya's pink and black striped hair. She's clad in a pink dress the same shade as her eyes, with silver heels.

"Oh this is so embarrassing," Addy says, pulling at her skirt with restless fingers. "I hope she doesn't think we're desperate."

Maya approaches us with a tight smile. A uniformed guard remains by the cart. "Lily, Addy. It's a pleasure to see the two of you again."

"How have you been, Maya?" I ask her.

"I've been very well, thanks to the help from you two." Her eyes linger on me, taking in my black coat and boots. "I hear you're doing well at Witch Doctors Inc, Lily." She smiles at my surprise. "I have my sources."

I blink. Is she...spying on me?

"And Addy, stunning as always."

Addy beams like a lighthouse. "I'm so sorry about my mother approaching you like that," she says. "I know you're busy, and there are so many others entering the competition, and it's not fair that we cut the line -"

Maya cuts her off with a smile and a quick shake of the head. "It's alright, Addy. I'm more than happy to do something nice for the two of you. Thanks to you, I've got my life back. I was a mess when I reached out to you. I couldn't sleep, I jumped at every little noise, and I was nervous of everyone who passed me on the street."

Really? I remember her being pretty calm and collected.

"I actually wanted to reach out to you before, but I thought you might think it was weird."

"I thought you might think it was weird!" Addy exclaims.

I think this whole thing is weird. Carts are meant to be on the ground, safe and sound, and celebrities aren't supposed to stalk normal people.

"Do you want to pick your carts? The second one's a little lighter."

They both look the same to me.

"I'll go with Addy," I say. "I don't need my own cart."

Maya raises an eyebrow. "Are you sure? There'll be a spare cart just sitting around."

"I'm sure."

I've already crash-landed on this planet once, thanks.

"What's the engine like?" Addy gushes. "Is the fire quartz very big? Is there one or two?"

Maya's face breaks into a grin. "I'll show you." She walks back to her cart with us in tow, and opens a latch in the front.

"Oh...wow," Addy sighs.

Set into a maze of twisting crystal wires is an oval fire quartz the size of a chicken. It radiates a warm tangerine glow.

"It's very...big," I say.

"Most carts are powered by a few smaller fire quartz stones," Maya explains. "The newer ones use less stones, and they tend to be bigger. If it breaks though, there'll be a huge explosion."

Thanks, Maya. I really needed to know that. It does wonders for my nerves.

Me and Addy climb into one of the other carts, which Maya calls down for us. There are two leather-bound seats in front. Addy gets into the driver's seat. Maya spends some time explaining all the gears and levers to her, while I close my eyes and repeat to myself: 'We are not going to fall. We are not going to fall.'

I take comfort in the gentle purr of the engine as we climb the city's heights, and crystal walls rear up around me. The sun's starting to set. Marmalade darkness settles over the tops of the skyscrapers.

Addy weaves through the buildings with ease. Maya's face appears on the screen embedded in the control panel. "How's it going?" she grins. "Getting the hang of it?"

"It's wonderful," Addy gushes. "Thank you so much for this, Maya."

Mischief glints in Maya's eyes. "Ready for a race?"

"We can race?"

Maya shrugs. "Sure. There's no traffic this high up, so you don't have to worry about safety."

"Then yes!" Addy squeals. "Yes, let's race each other!"

Wait just a minute here. I didn't sign up for a race. "Addy, I don't think..."

Addy steps on the pedal.

The cart whooshes forward.

I cling on for dear life. Addy laughs with glee.

I'm beside myself with panic.

"Addy, watch out for -!"

"You're too close to the -!"

"For the love of Zilitron, don't -!"

"FROGS!!!"

Addy swerves out of the way of a skyscraper, just in time. She takes her foot off the pedal to catch her breath. "Isn't this awesome, Lily?"

I'm speechless.

Once night falls good and proper they both slow down. I've never been so happy to see the moon before.

When the moon blossoms...

I shake Rikamu's words out of my mind.

"Let's go east," Maya suggests. "The buildings are like a maze there."

Addy cruises through the night, mouth open with wonder. Glints of crystal flash at us from every direction. It's like we're cruising through a galaxy of clear stars that appear and disappear on a whim.

"We're near...Addy, wait. Slow down a bit. Actually, come to a stop." Maya's face creases with concern.

Addy brings the cart to a stop between the Zilitron Bank towers. "What is it?"

I squint to see below us. There's movement down there. The movement is interspersed with sparks of crystal.

"It's the Mirror Guard," I say, surprised.

Addy brings us lower.

There's something on the ground, something dark and...I gulp. "Addy," I say quiety. "There's a body on the ground."

There's a sharp intake of breath from Addy's side of the cart. "He must be hurt. We have to go down and help."

"Addy, I think he's already..."

The cart lurches downwards, coming to a stop next to Maya's cart. I open the door. Maya's already stepped out, into the tangle of Mirror Guards milling around the body.

"Miss, step back," the closest guard barks. "This is a crime scene." His crystal brooch glints sharply in the night air.

"Can we help in any way?" Addy calls, swinging her legs over the edge of the cart. She sees the body and stops cold. "Oh."

The man isn't moving. He's splayed on the ground, his face staring at the sky. His expression, frozen in place, is one of horror.

"Let's go," I say, unease working its way into my bones. The man's life energy is completely gone. There's no blood, or injury that I can see. He's just...dead.

Before the guard can bark at us some more, Addy's communications monitor buzzes to life.

It's Queen Irine, her face ashen.

"Adamantine, I need to speak to you. It's your friend Ruby. She's in hospital."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

21.7K 622 8
An angelic halfling, thrown into a brutal war - not her own. Can she survive, can humanity? Angels or Hellion, Sky hates them both, hell, she even ha...
34.8K 3.1K 28
Unjustly accused of murder, the Demon of Wrath joins forces with the Archangel of Justice to find the true culprit. ____ Sannarah lives from one dead...
88.7K 11.5K 64
17x FEATURED + WATTYS 2021 SHORTLIST ❝It all started in fire. But it never ended in flames.❞ Welcоme to St. Daktaliоn, the city where magic exists t...
15.8K 2K 44
[WATTYS 2022 Shortlist | Wattpad Editor's Picks July 2023 | 17 x Featured]. A fairy tale inspired by elements of Hindu mythology. Able to weave dream...