Treat You Better

By Rhodes_the_writer

Warning: Violence, talk and acts of abuse, bullying, etc. Violet's life is perfect, she has good grades, a ha... More

Welcome, Reader!
Chapter One: Sharing Coffee.
Chapter Two: Hale Frances is a Jerk
Chapter Three: Dinner Disaster
Chapter Four: Fate
Chapter Five: The Infamous Michaelangelo.
Chapter Six: The Outfit.
Chapter Seven: The Party.
Chapter Eight: It's Only Starbucks
Chapter Nine: A French Heroine.
Chapter Ten: What if it was Me?
Chapter Eleven: Murder and Some Dinner Too
Chapter Twelve: Sleepover
Chapter Thirteen: Friends Who Always Have Your Back
Chapter Fourteen: Trapped in Red Roses
Chapter Fifteen: Room 211
Chapter Sixteen: Cake
Chapter Seventeen: The Beanbag.
Chapter Eighteen: Into the Den of (Rich) Lions.
Chapter Nineteen: The Cast.
Chapter Twenty: Hotel Lotus
Chapter Twenty-one: How to Kidnap your Primos.
The Song.
Chapter Twenty-two: Wanted: A Python.
Chapter Twenty-three: Sweet Talker.
Chapter Twenty-five: Awkward Messes
Chapter Twenty-six: The Real Villain.
Chapter Twenty-seven: Solar Eclipse
Chapter Twenty-eight: Shopping Trip.
Chapter Twenty-Nine: Crazy by Comparison.
Chapter Thirty: The "Cool" Group.
Chapter Thirty-one: The Only Family Left.
Chapter Thirty-two: Fatherly Love.
Chapter Thirty-three: The Day of the Dead.
Chapter Thirty-four: The Return of the Jerk.
Chapter Thirty-five: Going 360°.
Chapter Thirty-six: What The...?
Chapter Thirty-seven: Cake in the Closet.
Chapter Thirty-eight: A Breakdown.
Chapter Thirty-nine: A Little Reunion.
Chapter Forty: "It's A Duck".
Chapter Forty-One: Lucky Andromeda.
Chapter Forty Two: The "I Love You" Thing.
Chapter Forty-Three: The Saturday of Your Nightmares.
Chapter Forty-four: Dollhouse.
Chapter Forty-five: The Cat That Got Out The Bag.
Chapter Forty-six: Unpleasant Surprises.
Chapter Forty-seven: Pep Talk.
Chapter Forty-eight: Purple Girl.
Chapter Forty-nine: The Truth and More.
Chapter Fifty: Headfirst Into An Endless Pit.
Chapter Fifty-one: Friendly Friends.
Chapter Fifty-two: Right On The Front Cover.
Chapter Fifty-three: Scary Kid.
Chapter Fifty-four: Boyfriend Duties
Chapter Fifty-Five: A Deathly Allergy To Ugly Shirts.
Chapter Fifty-six: The Turning Point.
Chapter Fifty-Seven: Favorite Things.
Chapter Fifty-eight: Premonition.
Chapter Fifty-nine: Action!
Chapter Sixty: The Final Showdown.
Chapter Sixty-one: The Child and The Brat.
Chapter Sixty-two: Promises.
Chapter Sixty-three: Familiar.
Chapter Sixty-Four: The Plant and The Sun.
Sixty-Five: The Message.
Chapter Sixty-six: "Meese" Isn't The Plural of Muse.
Chapter Sixty-seven: Even More Promises (Finale).
Epilogue: Lazy Day.

Chapter Twenty-four: The Drive

163 10 82
By Rhodes_the_writer

Chapter Twenty-four: The Drive.

"I wonder where Violet went." Angelo said, thoughtfully as we walked into the school hallway just before fourth period. Coolest latecomers ever.

"What are you up to now?" I asked him, shaking my head with a smile. He was really in a silly mood today.

"I haven't seen the girl since... hold on let me call." He took out his phone and dialed my number.

"I'm literally right here!" I said, and sighed when my phone started to ring. I took it out and waved it in his face making both his eyebrows lift in fake surprise.

"Oh wow, Violet you're there, in my sweatshirt. Careful, you could get lost in there, you're literally swimming in it..."

"Oh my God, Angelo" I went into another fit of giggles as he pulled the hood over my head, completely covering my face.

"Why did I do that? Now I'd have to call 911 so we can all get in there and search for you." He lamented dryly. "Oh nooooo..."

"Stop, it's not even funny, you're mean." I chuckled, smacking his hand away so I could pull the hood down.

"I was kidding, it looks good on you, you look cute." He said, stuffing his phone in his pocket.

"Thank you, can I keep it?" I asked with a grin.
It was a black and orange tye-dye sweatshirt, simple and plain, extremely huge for my frame and smelling abundantly of Angelo: The Fragrance.

I'd paired it with a short pleated skirt, leggings and leg warmers. And I'd also folded the right sleeve so that my cast wasn't covered up.

"I'd have to think about that." Angelo mused.

"Just say yes," I casually lifted a finger and traced the patterns on his black camo leather jacket. "You have about millions in your closet."

"But this one's special."

"Really, why?"

He leaned down like he was sharing a secret while tugging me closer by the hem of the sweatshirt.
"Because now you've worn it and it smells like apple orchard breeze, so I want it too."

I smiled and reached up to tuck some hair behind my ear. "Looks like we're going to have to cut it in half then." I said sweetly.

"As much as I'd hate to do that. It seems like the only reasonable solution" Angelo agreed with a nod and I burst out laughing, unable to keep flirting with him for much longer.

I thought I saw him smile just as I turned to see Susan and Annie walking down the hallway towards us but when I looked back again, it was gone.

"Oh my goodness, Susan, did you get that?" Annie asked, looking into the camera's screen.

"Yup!" Susan replied excitedly, "who's your number one photographer?"

"Hi guys," I greeted and waved.

"Where have you been? You missed like three classes." Annie said but she didn't look mad. She looked incredibly happy.

"And you're not going to believe the big news Annie has" Susan squealed.

"See you later." Angelo murmured in my ear and gave my hand a squeeze just as he left.

"Bye." I said and turned back to my friends.

"Shut up just enough for me to tell her myself, okay?" Annie laughed and Susan nodded eagerly.
Annie took a breath, "Great, so..."

"Jason and Annie are dating!" Susan said quickly and smirked at Annie who rubbed her nose bridge in frustration.

"Girl, you're really annoying, you know that?" Annie sighed.

"What?!" I squealed and tackled her into a hug, not minding that a few people stopped what they were doing to look at us. "Annie, that's freaking awesome!"

"I know," she giggled. "I have a lot to tell you so come on, let's go to the library!"

(╭☞•́⍛•̀)╭☞

Once we'd gotten ourselves a nice spot at the back of the library where we won't be easily heard by the grumpy librarian, Annie began with her story.

"Well, so yesterday after I left the cafeteria..."

"Nope. Tell us what happened before then. Why were the both of you in such a mess?" I asked, keeping my voice low for obvious reasons.

"Oh um..." Annie curled a lock of her fuzzy brown hair around her finger. "It was my fault. Jason and I got to know each other little by little as days passed and it turned out we have a lot in common. He made it obvious that he liked me and I pretended his feelings didn't matter... at least for a while. I kind of started to return his gestures and..."

Susan snorted, "Gestures."

"Yes," Annie frowned at her and continued, "we'd hangout and flirt and we even went to get ice cream together once."

"Like a date?" I asked. "And you didn't tell us?"

"I'm sorry, I just knew that you guys would start making it a big deal and all that," Annie confessed.

"Duh! That's what best friends do!" Susan shrugged.

"Keep your voice down." I whispered and gestured to Annie to continue.

"Okay, all-in-all I made him think that I liked him back."

"But didn't you?"

"I did, I just-" she sighed and went on with the story. "Well we were taking a stroll in the park, really early in the morning one day. It was cold but he told me the sunrise from the hills point of view would be worth it. And it was, it was so... beautiful and romantic... Then he asked me to be his girlfriend."

"Oh." I said, raising my eyebrows.

"I was waiting, you guys, I was waiting for the camera and the group of laughing friends and I was ready for him to tell me he was doing it on a dare or something.
It didn't happen though, so guess what I did, I...told him no and that I felt nothing for him just like a total idiot!" Annie groaned and put her face in her hands.

"I told him I didn't want to talk to him ever again and I apologized for leading him on. Then your dad called to tell me about your accident so I hurried away."

Susan whistled, "That was definitely dumb but I also don't blame you. I mean, I'd be looking for the cameras too if... like... Tom Holland came to ask lil old me to be his girlfriend like, we're light-years apart status wise..." Susan only paused when Annie gave her a pointed glare. "Jeez, continue, sorry."

"Anyways, we didn't talk at all till Cassandra happened and... Well, you saw what happened, he basically meant that I wasn't the only one with feelings. I guess seeing him like that made me realize that he was being genuine. He really did like me." Annie stared into space for a second, probably thinking about...well, her life.

"So what did you do when you ran after him?" I asked, quietly.

"He was heading home so I borrowed some junior's bicycle and..."

"A bicycle?"

"Yeah, I said something like: 'kid, this is a matter of life and death, the love of my life is driving away from me because of me so I need your bike or I'll be a cat lady for the rest of my life!' and she gave me a super determined nod and I pedaled after Jason as fast as I could, basically yelling his name and feeling all sorts of stupid. But I didn't care."

"Go Annie!" I cheered quietly, grinning.

"I guess he saw me in the rearview mirror because he slammed on the brakes when I fell off the bicycle." Annie chuckled.

"You fell." I gasped.

"She fell" Susan smiled and tugged down the side of Annie's sweater so I could see the ugly dark bruise on the perfect brown skin of her shoulder.

"Battle scar." Annie grinned, pulling her sweater back up. "But it was terrible, I hate to admit I cried a bit. Jason had a first aid box in the car for sure, so he helped me clean up."

"Then you talked things out?" I asked eagerly.

"Yeah, we sat in his car in silence for a second and I was super anxious so I just blurted out an apology. He was still mad so I went on to explain my insecurities and why I did what I did and he finally understood, then we kissed."

"Oh!" I giggled, swinging my legs back and forth like a kid. "Tell me! Tell me how it was!"

"Here we go." Susan rolled her eyes and stuck her fingers in her ears.

Annie sighed dreamily, "Oh, Violet, it was perfect! I mean of course it was, that was my first kiss in like...ages! And he was so...wow, and when he...ooh! And- and then...whoa!" She grinned and slumped back in her seat.

"Okay, nice" I nodded, trying not to laugh. "In other words, you have no words."

"Yeah, that." Annie sighed. "It kind of got really emotional at some point but basically we had our closure and he asked me again to be his girlfriend. I said yes... obviously."

"You deserve to be happy, Annie. You two are good for each other." I said, patting her hand gently.

Susan took her fingers out of her ears and watched us in silence.

"Hey, what about you?" Annie sat up and faced me. "You seem much better and as much as I'd hate to admit it, living with Angelo seems to have helped you a lot and quickly too. You seem so much happier!"

Of course I was much better. I'd finally told someone my greatest problem ever, the one thing that was holding me down was out in the open and with someone I truly trusted.

It was like I could breathe freely again after four years.

"Wait, don't tell me you've kissed too!" Susan groaned and Annie gasped in excitement.

"No, not that! But close." I cleared my throat and looked around to see if anyone was listening in. "Guys I have something to tell you both and I'm telling you this because you're my best friends. Annie you know a bit of it already and..."

"Know what?" Susan asked, suddenly serious and Annie sat up.

"About...him?" She asked. I nodded and she put her hand on mine supportively.

"Who?" Susan asked.

"Hale." I said and finally let the cat out of the bag.

(╭☞•́⍛•̀)╭☞

"What did they do when you told them?" Angelo asked, tossing some popcorn into his mouth.

"They started plotting how to murder him and the best possible way to hide the body" I replied and he nodded.

"I like those girls." He said.

"You guys are up next!" Elena yelled over the music.

It was karaoke night in the Ramirez household. By force.

Elena was literally ready to tear off the head of anyone who wasn't going to participate.
Unfortunately, that meant Angelo.

"Actually, it's Pedro first then us" Angelo pointed out and Pedro shut his book just so he could give his cousin the stink eye.

"Go Pedro!" I cheered.

My phone rang for the hundreth time today and I put it on the silent setting. Dad was suddenly spamming me with calls after two days of nothing.

"Come on hermano, you're up." Elena said into the microphone. She had literally set up a stage in her room and forced all of us in.

The screen displayed the title of the song Call Me Maybe as Pedro stepped onto the stage to take the microphone. Then he was joined by Camilo and Paul, his backup singers.

"This oughta be good" Angelo said, leaning back into the headrest of Elena's bed.

And it was. I laughed so hard and derived so much serotonin from three guys singing that song with deep, slightly off key voices.

After their outstanding performance, Elena tried to bully Angelo into performing but him being who he is some how magically convinced her to excuse the both of us.

"Quickly before she changes her mind" Angelo whispered, leading me out the door.

"We're are we going?" I asked, matching his quick pace down the hallway.

"Nowhere in particular." He replied.

"Angelo..."

"Hey!" Elena barged out of the room. "Get back here you psychic!"

"Run." Angelo said and we barreled down the hallway and into the newly repaired elevator just as a couple was coming out of it.

"Stop! It's karaoke night, this isn't fair!" Elena screamed but Angelo pressed down button. The elevator closed before she could make it. But we still heard her last vengeful cry. "Te mataré, Angelo!"

I stared at the doors in the slightest of shock, feeling the elevator go down. "Whoa," I chuckled nervously.

"She'll get over it." He said and took my hand when the elevator door opened to an underground parking lot.

"We're driving? To nowhere in particular?" I asked, lacing my fingers with his. I was so glad I could do this without feeling weird.

"Exactly," he said, taking out a car remote from his pocket and pressing a button.

A black car nearest to the exit responded with two beeps.

"Whoa, I knew you had a car!" I said, jogging the rest of the distance to the vehicle. I didn't know much about cars but this one was a Rangerover and it had a silver flame design on the side.

"In my defense, I just bought it." Angelo said and opened the passenger door, releasing that new car smell to the air.

"You just bought a car." I said, watching him walk around to the driver's side. "Casually, no fuss about it."

"It's been here for a week, squeaky" Angelo said. "Get in."

I did as he said, "Who are you anyways?" I asked as I fastened my seatbelt. "I don't think I really, really know."

"Yet you know more than most. But, if you're interested in knowing one more thing," He ignited the engine and it came alive with a gentle hum. "I have a lot of money."

"Oh, that's useful information." I nodded. And we were off.

We were heading to the highway which had no traffic, thankfully.
The streetlights glowed with golden light, illuminating the dark car a few seconds at a time, it was such a beautiful night.

Angelo pressed on the gas and I gasped slightly as the car picked up speed.
We weaved between cars, switching lanes and swerving.

I grinned at the slightly thrilling feeling and turned to look at Angelo just as he glanced at me for a second. He seemed interested in my reaction since I was obviously acting like someone who hadn't been in a car before. I guess I was just used to being the one at the wheel.

"This song!" I gasped and turned up the volume of the radio, letting the first few notes of Symphony fill the car. "You know it?"

He wiggled his eyebrows at me and then went on to lower all the four windows so the cold wind rushed in, making me squeal as my hair whipped around my face.
"Faster!" I giggled, before adding, "not above the speed limit, of course."

"I can work with that" He said and pressed on the pedal, sending us flying forward.

I screamed and laughed, grabbing on to the seatbelt for my life though. The streetlights rushed past us faster now and the words of the song came to me.

I just want to be part of your symphony,
Will you hold me tight and not let go?
Symphony!
Like a love song on the radio.
Will you hold me tight and not let go?

I decided to sing along to the next verse.

"I'm sorry if it's all too much
But everyday you're here I'm healing
And I was running out of luck
I never thought I'd find this feeling
Cause I've been hearing symphonies
Before all I heard was silence"

"Wow" Angelo nodded, impressed.

"A rhapsody for you and me
And evey melody is timeless.

"And now your song is on repeat and I'm dancing on to your heartbeat
When you're gone I feel incomplete so if you want the truth... Sing it with me Angelo!"

He did! "I just want to be part of your symphony!"

I laughed and watched him as we both belted out the song, his golden hair waving with the rushing wind.
"Will you hold me tight and not let go?!
Symphony!
Like a love song on the radio.
Will you hold me tight and not let go?"

"Whoohoo!" I called, unable to stop myself from grinning. God, was this what real happiness felt like?

My life wasn't perfect, not by a long shot but just spending a moment like this with him was enough to make me go over the moon.

"You sing really well, maybe I shouldn't have ruined karaoke night for you." Angelo said.

"Are you kidding? This was awesome." I ran my fingers through my curls, sure that they were a mess. "I can't decide which one I like better now."

"I can," Angelo murmured and switched lanes so we could drive into the nearest gas station.

After we filled the front seats with snacks and sodas, Angelo got us back to our neighborhood, bringing the car to a stop on the Hotel's street.

"I got this in case the cold got too much." Angelo said, reaching around to the back seat so he could grab a blanket.

"Thanks for that, I'm freezing" I chuckled. After the thrill, the cold set in. It was so warm and snuggly as I wrapped myself up, sitting in my seat so I was facing him just like he was doing.

Angelo helped himself to some chips, and stared out the windshield.
He looked so thoughtful.

"What are you thinking about?" I asked, taking a sip from my coke can.

"Nothing in particular, my mind just traveled." He said, turning back to me. "To the orphanage, New York, other stuff."

"Oh," I said and frowns. "Why did you stay in an orphanage the whole time? You're rich, and you have your dad's cousins, you could have lived with them."

"It was on my mother's will for me to stay in the Orphanage she built till I was eighteen."

"But..."

"It's not a bad place, Violet. It's a private organization, remember? It's okay there, at least compared to other places out there." Angelo affirmed.

"Really?" I asked. I'd always imagined all Orphanages as sad places where unfortunate kids lived and were probably neglected and bullied and forced into working for a living.

"Yes, don't look so worried." He said, "it's just that my mother's family was never really approving of my father's."

"Yeah, Tía Mónica told me" I said.

"You talked about me behind my back, huh?" Angelo asked, making me flush with guilt. "I'm guessing she told you about how my parents died."

"Yeah, you were sick and...the tree. I'm sorry." I whispered.

"The thing about that story is, it's not completely true." Angelo said, returning his gase to the street outside the windshield.

"What do you mean?"

"Someone made up a fake story to cover up the real events. I wasn't even sick."

~UwU~

Don't forget to vote and comment!

Rhodes.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

62.4K 1.1K 15
This is just a book I made for myself that will help me improve myself :) feel free to use🌟 (the photos i include are not mine)
288K 7.2K 38
"They say all good boys go to heaven but bad boys bring heaven to you " Leading a normal life is boring right? Why don't we add a few bad boys to it...
134K 4.2K 34
Eleanor Smith has one of the most difficult issues to contend with in the world. Her partner, Jai Peters, is an abusive drunk that treats her more li...
300K 8.7K 32
Annabelle's life is harder than anyone could ever imagine. She spends her days locked in her room not wanting to talk to anyone but her best friend A...