The Bridgerton and the Counte...

By Bonneybae26

Josephine ( or ' Jo' as she insists) Hyedton, has never been the one that would like to ' settle down' and '... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42

Chapter 21

2.9K 74 9
By Bonneybae26

" You look beautiful dearest," Stephen said, walking into Jo's room with a blue rectangular velvet box in his hand " Excuse us Margery, Alice." Both maids curtsied and quickly walked out of the room. Tensions were high between father and daughter. The two still haven't properly talked since their argument in the carriage.

" Just trying to look like a future bride." Jo said, brushing down her deep pink dress with sequins dancing across painting pretty sights.

" I can see," Stephen said clearing his throat, and looking at the dark pink rose's that swirled with the bun in her hair " Gentleness and Grace, but can also be perceived as young love."

" Well I don't know about love papa." Jo said, avoiding his eyes as she looked into the mirror, styling the odd curls that fell from her bun.

" I want you to wear this," Stephen said after a few moments of awkward silence, and opened the box to show a necklace with a simple pink diamond with other little diamonds surrounding it.

" It was your mothers," Stephen said " I thought she could keep you company tonight while I stand from afar to watch you dance." And he placed the necklace around Jo's neck.

" Thank you papa." Jo smiled, as she held the necklace in her hand.

" Josephine," Stephen said, and took her hand " You know more than anything, if it was possible that you wouldn't be forced into this position right my dear?"

" Yes papa, I understand the position that I am in is not caused by your hand." Jo said, and gave her papa's hand a squeeze before kissing his cheek.

" Good," Stephen smiled " Now, time to drag you to the event!"

***

" How was tea?" Collin said, as the two glided across the floor once he swiped her up as soon as she walked through the door with Stephen. Jo was determined to avoid Collin that night due to the bubbling feelings starting to seep through the cracks, but to her demise Collin was the first thing she saw.

" Oh don't remind me," Jo said rolling her eyes " Just thinking about her eating makes me shiver."

" Why because she chewed loudly? You really do hate that I remember you hitting me for it when we were younger!" Collin laughed and Jo joined in with the laughter.

" Yes I did didn't I?" She sighed with a smile on her face " And if I remember, you always said you hated these events, and you wouldn't dream of attending them."

" Yes well," Collin chuckled " Time and interest have changed over the year."

" Yes I believe they have," Jo smiled, but her smile faulted slightly as she repressed the thought of their simple childhood. Suddenly, feathers began to fall from the ceiling and she gazed up" Well are not these a bit much?" She laughed and when she looked back down she caught Collin staring at her with a strange look in his eyes, and his hand squeezed hers a bit more tightly and they continued to dance.

" Not at all," Collin chuckled " They make everything more," He paused, and plucked a feather out from Jo's hair and smiled " Prettier." Jo's eyes widened and she looked away in order to hide the growing blush along her cheeks and neck and Collin laughed.

" And what is so funny?" Jo said, snapping her head back around to look him in the eyes, and he leaned forward to whisper in her ear making her blush even harder.

" That you refuse to admit the effect I have on you miss Hydeton." And he pulled back with the familiar cheeky grin.

" Oh you do, do you?" Jo said raising an eyebrow.

" Indeed I do." Collin said, raising his head as though he was proud of himself.

" Well what is awfully funny Mr Bridgerton, is that you refuse to amuse the little green monster on your shoulder any time I mention Arthur." Jo said, smiling up at the now deflate Bridgerton.

" Who said I do not amuse it," Collin whispered in Jo's ear as the song came to the end " In fact little dove, the only reason I desire to attend these events so much is mainly to do with who I have my first and last dance with." Jo's mouth slightly parted, completely unsure on how to reply or how she even felt in that every moment. And ' little dove'?! Collin hadn't called her that since the incident, since the foolish childish actions and thoughts that swarmed their young minds. Completely blind to what was expected of both of them.

Collin, to explore the world and the body's it offered, and only to settle at no younger than 30 once he is completely satisfied on what the world offered.

And Jo, to marry as soon as possible, to be tamed and be a submissive wife. To provide an son that will one day take over the responsibility and land their father gave them. All while being completely miserable at the uneventful life that was cursed upon her.

But even now, they still defined the norms. Collin had in fact not explored anywhere or the body's the world provided. He is not even close to being the age society deemed appropriate for a man to marry as he was at the ripe age of 22, but here he was with the impulse of marriage playing in his mind like a broken record.

And Jo did not get married as soon as possible, as her father gave her three more years of freedom before presenting her to the public ( which is very generous in some young lady's cases). She also had no intention of being broken and tamed like a common wild animal, or being a silent wife at all with no thoughts or opinions or a wife at all if it was up to her.

Both so different for society's standards, but yet so far from excepting the scandalous thoughts and feelings they were having for one another ( well in Jo's case, she was far from excepting the truth.) She may like Collin Bridgerton, but marriage was off the table for the two she thought. What a scandal it would be?! Young Bridgerton, marrying childhood family friend! The whole of London would speculate something had happened between the two before she was presented, and dancing with him the whole season wouldn't make the situation any better.

But she couldn't help herself, and neither could he. They like each other's company, it was the only thing that had gotten Jo through these exhausting events, and dancing with Jo just made Collins day a bit brighter. And even if the scandals and whispers of the public never came, they would still see it too improper for them to marry, as Jo was of a much higher ranking then Collin was. Though money never mattered to Jo, she was still a Countess with lots of land and riches and Collin was third in line to even have a title and have land, and wasn't even a Lord but Mister.

Jo's eyes search Collins and held her breath, just waiting for the punchline to drop and for her thought could stop but it never came.

" If you are confused by any means," Collin said, breaking the silence between the two " It is you, you are the reason I attended these boring events," Jo felt the blush increase as her whole face became hot " I must be off anyway, mama wanted me by her side tonight." The dance was finished, and Collin bowed before walking away a bit hastier than normal, and Jo felt her feet turn in the opposite direction and made a direct towards her aunt Amice and so did Simon.

" The two of you certainly make a captivating match, Your Grace." Lady Danbury said, leaning in slightly when she talked to Simon as he watched Daphne dance. Jo was also too distracted to answer her aunts question as she gazed at Collin on the other side of the room laughing with his mother and Jo found herself smiling.

" Whatever is bothering you?" Lady Danbury said, directing her question this time at the both of them.

" Nothing at all." They both said, and looked away from their distraction to smile at her. Lady Danbury smiled to her self at the two young people that she had a help in raising. It was obvious to her in her years of knowledge that Simon was beginning to fall for Daphne Bridgerton, and Jo had already fell for Collin Bridgerton.

" Miss Hydeton," Arthur said, holding out a hand towards Jo" Care to join me for this dance and yet another stimulating conversation?"

" I would be more than delighted to Lord Dane." Jo smiled, and Arthur smiled as he took her gloved and guided her towards the floor. But as Lord Danes joy grew, the green monster on Collins shoulder did as well.

Authors note:

Sorry for give long update guys, just had exams these past two weeks but I'm back now and already working on the next chapter x

I also wanted to know what your favourite bit is so far, and what you think about Lord Dane/ Arthur 🤔

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 36.9K 63
๐’๐“๐€๐‘๐†๐ˆ๐‘๐‹ โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€ โi just wanna see you shine, 'cause i know you are a stargirl!โž ๐ˆ๐ ๐–๐‡๐ˆ๐‚๐‡ jude bellingham finally manages to shoot...
15.3K 1K 29
"OMG he is so pretty, I want to make him, my son in law," "don't you have only one son?" "So what, my son will marry him," "wait, I'm seeing the firs...
18.8K 687 94
In the town of mystic falls it's always been quaint town but what some people don't know is that for decades it has been the home of supernatural bei...
1M 65.2K 119
Kira Kokoa was a completely normal girl... At least that's what she wants you to believe. A brilliant mind-reader that's been masquerading as quirkle...