Save Me (An Eddie Diaz 911 Fa...

By MM1776

Jane Thomas is such a mom, at least according to her co-worker Buck. She's too nice. She's always optimistic... More

Meet the First Responders
Graphics!!
Season 1 Playlist
Worst Day Ever
Point of Origin
Heartbreaker
Full Moon (Crazy AF)
Karma's a B*tch
Trapped
A Whole New You
Season Two
Season 2 Playlist
Under Pressure
7.1
Help is Not Coming
Stuck
Awful People
Jane Begins
Aftermath
Dosed
Haunted
Buck, Actually
Merry Ex-Mas
Interlude: January 23rd
New Beginnings
Broken
Ocean's 9-1-1
Careful What You Wish For
This Is The Life We Choose
Season 3
Season 3 Playlist
Summer Daze
Kids Today
Sink or Swim
The Searchers
Triggers
Rage
Monsters
Malfunction
Fallout
The Christmas Spirit

Fight or Flight

5.9K 114 5
By MM1776

"What do you mean, it's Chimney?" For some reason, Jane's hands had begun to shake uncontrollably. She forced herself to breath and connected the phone to her car's Bluetooth so she could take a drink of water. She needed to do something with her hands.

"I mean that Hen just called me," Eddie explained. "Chimney is in the hospital, he was stabbed. Buck found him and Maddie is missing! I'm heading to the hospital now. I'm going to take Chris over to Pepa's for now, but Shannon is going to come watch him tomorrow because she has to go into work."

"Good, good," Jane nodded. She stuck her keys in the ignition and put one hand on the steering wheel and the other on the gear shift, "I'll drive over to the hospital now and meet you all there. Which one?"

"County General."

"I'll be there in fifteen," Jane said once she calculated how far of a drive that would be. It was fairly close to her dad's house. "I'll meet you and Hen there. Drive safe Eddie."

"You too," he said softly, before hanging up.

Jane's hands were trembling, and she was worried, but she forced herself to concentrate as she pulled out of her father's driveway. It had been a long day, and it didn't seem as if the day was going to end anytime soon. She drove cautiously, focusing on the road and not on the fact that one of her best friends was in the hospital, possibly dying. She ignored that Maddie was missing, which indicated to Jane that Maddie's psychotic abusive ex-husband probably came back to get her and Chimney.

Jane ignored it all and focused on her breathing before it occurred to her that she needed to call Farrah. When she came to a stoplight, she very deliberately pressed a few buttons until a dial tone echoed in the vehicle.

"Hey pretty lady!" Farrah greeted with her usual enthusiasm. "How did it go? Are you alright?"

"Farrah, something's happened to Chimney, so I need you to stop by my apartment and check on Felix. I'm...I'm unsure how long I'll be gone so I might need you to do it tomorrow too."

"What happened to Chimney?"

"He was attacked! Buck found him and it didn't sound good. I'm going to the hospital now."

"What?! No! Absolutely! No problem," Farrah said, after her initial shock she automatically went into her nurse voice, a soothing one that matched that warm husky quality she naturally had. "I'll take care of Felix. You just take care of yourself so you can help Chimney, alright? And after it turns out that he is alright, we need to have a lunch date and talk about everything, because woman, I feel like your life never stops."

"Yeah," Jane agreed, "I'm with you there. Thanks Farrah. You are the best."

"I know," she said lightly. "Take care. Don't worry about Felix. Karram and I will just bring him up to ours and binge sitcoms with the little guy."

"He'll like that," she laughed. "Thank you again. Bye," and she hung up the phone just as she was pulling into the hospital parking lot. Ironically enough, she spotted Eddie just as she was getting out of the car, and she waved to him. He slowed his fast clip and allowed her to catch up.

"Hey! How's Christopher?" she asked. "He doing okay with this?"

"Yeah. I told him I needed to go because Chimney was in the hospital, but I didn't tell him the details. He could tell something bad had happened though. I'm not good at keeping my face blank when I'm on the phone apparently, and kids, you know they sense things."

"They are smart, and unfortunately for you, your son is particularly acute."

"He is at that. But, how are you doing?" he asked as they reached the doors.

"I'll feel better when I can talk to him," Jane said shakily. "I just need to talk to him." 

Without thinking about it, Eddie reached out and took a hold of her hand, giving it a reassuring squeeze. Jane returned his squeeze with one of her own, and they were still holding hands when they walked into the busy hospital. Almost immediately Jane was overwhelmed with the doctors and nurses standing around, the phones ringing, and the indistinct chatter. Then, Eddie squeezed her hand again and she was brought back to their mission. Chimney, and so she allowed herself to be lead through the crowd and turning left through the door, they spotted a pacing Hen and the rest of the 118 crew and some of the 122 who must have responded to the scene.

"I got here as fast as I could. Called Jane on the way over!" Eddie told Hen, leading Jane faster to their friends. "How's he doing?"

"Alive," Hen responded, and Jane almost allowed herself to relax before her friend continued. "But he's got a punctured lung and a lacerated stomach."

"Is he in surgery?" Eddie asked softly.

"Not yet," Hen's voice lowered to match his tone, noticing how shaken Jane looked beside him. Hen didn't want her worried more. "He lost a lot of blood. But as soon as he's stable, they'll prep him for surgery."

"Who would do something like this?" Eddie shook his head.

"If Maddie is missing," Jane said slowly, matching their soft tones, "then my bet is on her ex-husband." 

"He's in Pennsylvania," Hen argued.

"Hen, you know better than that. We've both seen the obsession that abusive relationships can trigger. A plane ticket to where her brother lives would not be out of the question if he really wanted to bring her back. If he saw Chimney, and they were together, he could have attacked him out of rage," Jane took a deep breath. "It takes much less than that to trigger a man's anger."

At the reminder of Jane's attack that wasn't that long ago, Hen reached out and squeezed her harm, and Eddie began to softly, gently, run his thumb back and forth over her knuckles, and Jane allowed herself to be soothed.

"Well," Hen responded, "all I can say is that I hope whoever did it doesn't come anywhere near here. I'm liable to show him how to really use a knife."

"I'm right behind you," Jane muttered darkly.

"Remind me not to get on your bad sides," Eddie said, and only then did Hen realize that they were holding hands. Then, it occurred to her that they'd come in together, holding hands, and they hadn't let go. Despite the grim situation, she almost smiled.

Cute, she thought.

"Where's Bobby?" Jane asked after a moment.

"He's with Buck and Athena at Maddie's," Hen explained. "Probably a good thing too. Someone needs to keep that boy levelheaded and with Maddie missing he's probably about five seconds from going off the rails and doing something drastic."

"If he hasn't already," Eddie nodded. "I can't say I'd do different if it were my sister."

Jane nodded, "At least he has Bobby to be there with him and we'll all be here for Chimney." Her voice sounded so small and only then did they begin to notice that Jane was swaying a bit on her feet. Concerned, Eddie raised their entwined hands so that he was supporting her elbow with his arm and allowed her to lean on him.

"We're in for a long wait," Eddie told the women gently. "We should probably sit down until they come to us with news."

"Yeah," Jane sighed. "You're right."

And so, without letting go of each other's hand, Jane and Eddie sat down to wait. After about ten more minutes of pacing and anxious looks towards the doors, Hen allowed Jane to beacon her towards the chairs and she sat next to her friend. Jane took Hen's hand into her free one and together, the 118 family kept a silent vigil.

..........

"What can possibly be taking so long that they can't tell us how he is?" Jane asked anxiously, before she raised her hand up to stop her friend, already knowing what she was about to say. "And no. Don't answer that question. I know the answer as well as you two do, but I'm feeling contrary so let me gripe. It's been hours."

Hen, who had in fact, been about to answer Jane, kept her mouth shut and almost smiled at her friend's obvious irritation. Not because she wasn't feeling the same way, but because the sight of an angry Jane was so rare, that it was a cause for amusement. After a few more minutes of silence, Jane gave let out another exasperated growl.

"Why can't the universe just give us a fucking break?!" Jane yelled into the silence, earning a few weary glances from the other firefighters and a stern look from a passing attendant. 

"Language!" Buck said instinctively as he and Bobby entered the waiting room, before pausing as if he'd just realized what he'd just said and who he'd said it to. Oh, how the tables had turned in the last twelve hours.

"Buck! Are you alright?" Jane rushed at him, letting go of Eddie for the first time in an hour at the sight of the rest of her crew. Chimney had yet to go into surgery, still being pumped with fluids, and no one had been allowed back to see him yet. He was critical and the doctors didn't want to take any chances.

Reaching her blonde friend, Jane took him firmly by the shoulders and gave him a thorough once over, as if she'd catch some injury or wound that the paramedics or the cops or even Bobby had failed to notice. Buck knew immediately what she was doing and he felt a little surge of affection. Jane was by far, one of his favorite people and no matter what, he could always depend on her trying to take care of them all. He also knew that if anyone would help him with his crazy idea...it would be Jane. She would understand.

"I'm alright Jane," Buck said gently. "I'm just...I'm scared for Maddie and Chimney."

"I know. We all are," she agreed. She reached up and gave him a big hug of reassurance and for one moment, the young man allowed himself to be comforted. When she finally pulled away, she had to wipe the tears that had started to prick at her eyes. "But...really how are you?"

"Frustrated. Scared. Worried. Anxious. Wanting to demand that all of them listen to me and go after her because they are taking too long," Buck answered honestly, and Jane couldn't help but notice his eyes continue to dart towards the doors. Before she could think about it too much, Buck hurriedly asked her some questions while Bobby was talking to Hen and Eddie.

"So," Buck said, "You're pretty familiar with hospitals right Jane?"

"Yes..." she raised her eyebrows. "But every hospital is different."

"Yeah. Sure. But there are always multiple entrances and exits to get into a part of the hospital right?"

"Yes...yes there are," Jane agreed cautiously.

"So. If say, someone needed to get beyond that door..." he hedged.

"What are you thinking Buck?" she demanded, her eyebrows drawn in concern. She reached for his arm and gave it a squeeze.

"Nothing," he shook his head. "Nothing at all. Just momentarily crazy."

"Alright," Jane drew the word out. "Can I get you something? The coffee isn't great but its something? There are also some vending machines around here with soda."

"Nah," he smiled down at her unconvincingly. "I have to use the restroom. I'll be right back."

"Sure you-" before she couldn't finish the sentence Buck was already gone and Jane just knew that he wasn't going to the bathroom, although she had no idea what he thought he was going to do.

"Hey! Where did Buck go?" Eddie asked, coming over to her. "Wasn't he just here?"

"Yeah," Jane agreed. "But he left...he said he had to go to the restroom."

Eddie nodded, but he was soon distracted by Hen asking about a coffee run that he didn't notice the odd lilt to Jane's words, nor did he stop to consider that this was in fact Buck, and if Maddie was missing then he would hardly be so amendable to not running off recklessly. The sight of Buck had brought down her anger exponentially. She had to keep calm and she had to just wait and see. There was no use in getting angry now, when everyone else needed her.

And so, Jane was left torn. She didn't know if she should tell Bobby and Athena her suspicions that Buck had just gone to do something completely reckless, or to let him do what he needed to do to try and help his sister. Fortunately, not even ten minutes later, a man in a security uniform came up to the group and saved her from her battle of conscience. He went straight to Bobby, and at the sight of him, Jane, Hen, and Eddie approached to hear what he had to say. Hen and Eddie thought it might be something to do with Chimney, but Jane just KNEW that Buck had done something.

"Sergeant Grant found the young man with the Victim's cell phone, got it open with his fingerprint, apparently intending to use it to locate the suspect," the guard was a portly man with a ruddy face but kind eyes. His voice was gruff but pleasing tenor.

"Of course, he did," Bobby said with a weary sigh.

"What was he thinking?" Hen wondered aloud.

"He was thinking that he wanted to rescue Maddie, even if it was a bad idea," Jane argued gently.

"Can we see him?" Bobby asked.

"Yeah," the guard nodded. "As of right now, he's just under guard until the Detectives decide what they want to do. Sergeant Grant said your group would be allowed back there."

"Thank you," Bobby nodded.

"Well," Hen said honestly, "I think this might be a job for you three. I got nothing, and it would probably be best if I just waited here for news about Chimney. The way I'm feeling...I can't promise that I won't smack the boy."

Hen was being honest, and Jane completely understood. Her partner was in critical condition, waiting for surgery, and Buck had barged in there to get his fingerprint just to open his phone. She didn't want to imagine what might have happened if Buck had somehow detached him from the monitors or done something that would have put Chimney in danger. They keep people out for a reason. Chimney wasn't stable and as much as Hen wanted Maddie found, she loved Chimney and didn't want his life at risk. So yeah, she was a bit mad. It was probably for the best that Hen would stay away from Buck until Chimney made it out of surgery and was awake.

"Yeah," Jane nodded. "You stay here, we got him." With a parting nod, Jane, Eddie, and Bobby made their way to follow the guard back to where they were keeping Buck.

"Either of you been to hospital jail before?" Bobby asked lightly.

"Only once," Jane said. "My friend was in here and the nurse was a bitch who didn't respond when we told her that he hadn't gotten his meds that day. Her chart agreed with us, but she apparently had better things to do. I'm just glad that she was an exception and that all of the other nurses were great."

"Huh," Eddie smirked, "I don't think I've ever heard you sound so completely unforgiving before."

"Believe me," she sent him a smirk back, "I tried the first three times to call her something else, but in the end, she was a bitch, and calling her that may have been what landed me in hospital jail."

"Not going to lie," Bobby said lightly, "I'd have thought the answer to my question would have been no or Eddie."

"Woah, watch it there, Bobby," Jane grinned. "Someone might think you are being sexist and think that women can't land themselves in trouble. I'll have you know that I've probably got more of a record than he does."

Bobby just snorted, "You know as well as I do it was personality, Jane, but yes. You have my apologies. Of course you can get in trouble. Whatever was I thinking?"

Eddie laughed at them, enjoying how dry the humor was. A few hallways later, and they saw Athena standing outside of the door, talking on the phone. Spotting her, knowing that she was likely talking to the Detective in charge about what to do with Buck, Bobby turned to Jane and Eddie.

"You two go ahead and talk to him," he recommended. "Maybe tell him how bad of an idea this was. I'm going to wait on Athena."

"Sure, Cap," Eddie nodded, and together he and Jane went into the room. A few moments later, Athena and Bobby followed with Athena still on the phone and they went into the corner of the room. Occasionally, Athena would put her hand over the speaker and talk quietly to the Captain who nodded and said a few words back, before she'd go back to talking on the phone.

"So," Eddie began as he and Jane walked over to Buck, who sitting on a small bench, two guards looking at them bored. "That was a bold move."

"A very bold move," Jane agreed, "but an understandable one."

She sat on one side of Buck while Eddie sat on the other. When Buck looked up at the two of them, Jane's heart broke for him. His eyes were bloodshot from crying and the look on his face was desperate.

"I know. 'What were you thinking, Buck?'" he imitated what he believed they were going to bombard him with. "I already got an earful from Athena," he told his friends in a hoarse voice.

"Oh no," Eddie disagreed, "I know what you were thinking. I got sisters, too. Still not sure how you thought you were getting away with it, though." 

Jane just looped Buck's arm through hers and gave his bicep a reassuring squeeze. There were a lot of reassuring squeezes that night, none of them having the right words to offer comfort, but needing to reassure the others that I'm here and I understand and I hurt too.

"I wasn't worried about that," Buck responded, and Jane understood that to be the truth. He didn't care that he was officially under hospital arrest and could very well go to jail for what he did if Athena wasn't able to pull some strings. He didn't care that Bobby and Athena were frustrated about him or that his friends were worried about him. He was terrified for Maddie.

"It's like...the police have all these rules, you know," he looked at them both desperately, trying to get his point across. His eyes lingered on Jane's though, knowing that out of everyone, she could appreciate the frustration of the justice system. "Rules that are gonna get Maddie killed. But I'm a civilian. Those rules, they don't apply to me, right?"

Eddie, of course, was the one to point out the obvious. "Then why are you in hospital jail?"

Jane reached behind Buck's head and gave Eddie a slight punch to the arm, earning a partial grin in response. A grin which, of course, sent butterflies in her stomach despite the situation.

"But...you understand, don't you Jane?" Buck implored, bringing her attention back to the real world. "Sometimes...sometimes the cops can't protect the people they are supposed to. Sometimes...sometimes people fall through the cracks. I couldn't let Maddie fall through the cracks when I knew I could do something about it. I can find her!" 

Jane sharply inhaled, "Buck..." but she couldn't bring herself to disagree. Not fully. There were so many limitations that police and attorneys had on them to protect the rights of the abuser that sometimes the abused...is left without any help.

"And I told Maddie... I said that she didn't need to keep on running, that she could start over here, that she would be safe," Buck looked gutted as he whispered the next words. "That I would keep her safe."

Eddie sighed, before he said gently, "This isn't your fault." When it looked like Buck didn't believe him, Jane made him sit up and listen to what Eddie had to say. She nudged him in the gut, until he was giving Eddie his attention instead of wallowing. "What if she had kept running? You think he wouldn't have found her? Only then, she'd be alone."

"She's alone now. With him," Buck argued.

"No," Jane said softly. "Physically...she might be alone, but Buck he isolated her for years. He had her convinced that there was no one else in the world who cared about her. But now she knows that there are people who love her. Believe me, when you are faced with your worst nightmare returned, just knowing that people love you is enough."

Before Buck could respond, and honestly the young man himself didn't know what to say to Jane's earnest words, Athena hung up her phone and she and Bobby came over to the small group. "I spoke with Detective Marks. He's not happy with you."

"I-I-I just," Buck began before he was cut off.

"You broke chain of custody," Athena told him simply. "You unlocked Chimney's phone without his permission. Marks can't use any of it."

"I'm sorry," Buck said simply. "Okay? I was trying to help."

Athena nodded, unimpressed by his words, but that didn't particularly matter at that moment in time.

"Okay. Let's go. The car's out front," the older woman told Buck, before she turned and began to walk out the door.

"You're arresting me," Buck stated rather than asked, certain that he was being taken into custody.

"Not yet," Athena told him wryly, but the younger man missed the humor in her voice. Jane heard it though, and couldn't help but exchange a grin with Eddie as they watched Buck linger behind, confused. "But the night's still young."

Buck looked up to Bobby for answers, but he just raised his eyebrows and gestured with his hand for Buck to follow Athena out to her car. Once he was out of the room, the trio followed but turned in the opposite direction of the exit, to go back to the waiting room for Chimney.

"Uh-uh where are we going?" they heard Buck holler after her, his footsteps hurried to catch up.

"To find your sister." Athena responded, and like that, the door was shut and they were off on a mission to rescue Maddie.

"He's going to get himself arrested, isn't he?" Eddie asked, as they navigated the halls and moved aside to avoid a few old men who had apparently begun a wheelchair race, much to the disapproval of the male nurse who hurried after them with a flurry of protests.

"Most assuredly," Jane agreed. "Let's go. Maybe Chimney is allowed visitors now that Buck is no longer a threat.
"Or maybe," Eddie grinned a bit, "Buck has ruined it for the rest of us and no one will be allowed to see him until he goes home."

"That would not at all be a surprise," Bobby shook his head. "I just hope that those two manage stay out of too much trouble. I mean...if this man stabbed Chimney and has Maddie...I worry about Buck not being able to handle it if this ends badly.

"It won't end badly," Jane said firmly, her voice broking no argument. Her voice was so hard that it earned looks from both of her companions. "It won't."

...........

The sun rose, and all was quiet as they were told at seven the next morning that Chimney was finally being moved into surgery, as he'd been declared stable. Eddie, Hen, Jane, and Bobby along with other members of the crew who all stuck around to wait on the news were gathered around, telling funny stories about Chimney. Personally, Jane's favorite would always be the first time they hung out together outside of work.

"-and then the trucker came over and gave Chimney a giant hug and said, you hang in there man. Herpes is a difficult thing to come back from. Nothing," Jane declared grandly, "will surpass our first karaoke night as a team."

Hen was laughing so hard that there were tears coming out of her eyes, because that was just so Chimney.

Hen gasped through her tears, "I'd...I'd almost forgotten that one. His face...his face was purple."

"I apparently need to come to the next karaoke night," Eddie laughed with them.

Jane nodded, "Bobby singing Billy Joel is a memory to treasure."

Then, Hen began telling the story about the time that she and Karen had asked him to babysit for a baby Denny, which had them all laughing all over again.

"So, Chimney goes online," Hen was explaining, "to one of those Internet forums for new mothers. They all give him advice. 'Skin-to-skin contact works best.' 'No, the sound of a vacuum cleaner. 'A cool breeze is soothing.'"

"A vacuum can stop a baby from crying?" Eddie looked over to Jane who gave him a nod. "Oh. I missed out on all this. Which one did he go with?"

This caused Hen, Jane, and everyone else to laugh, "All of them. We come home and find him asleep- shirtless- on the floor with Denny on top of him, a fan blowing at them, and the vacuum cleaner running in the corner."

At that, the entire waiting room broke into laughter, enjoying the stories of their dear friend. Howard Han was an all-or-nothing type of man.

"Wow, uh, he went all out, huh?" Eddie asked.

"That's who Chimney is," Jane said softly with a smile. "He never does anything by halves."

"He always goes all out," Hen agreed. "He always puts his heart into everything."

"I tell you about when he was watching Felix when I was in rehab?" Jane asked. "By the end of one week, Chimney, who hates Seinfeld, could quote all of seasons one and two AND he purchased Felix a cat sweater that said 'Serenity Now!'"

Hen and Eddie laughed hard at that one before they heard familiar voices behind them saying "Hey, hey."

"Hey!" Hen stood up in greeting, making Jane turn around to see Athena's ex-husband Michael and their son Harry coming in with boxes of Starbucks coffee and what appeared to be donuts. "What are you guys doing here?"

Jane immediately went to take the donuts from Harry to put them on the table and to give Harry a hug, which the boy returned immediately. Jane had babysat Harry and Denny together on multiple occasions. He really liked the blonde firefighter, so much so that she'd been called to stay with him and his older sister May a few times. Harry took Jane's hug and then immediately went to give another hug to Hen.

"Oh, Harry and I were out," Michael explained to them, "I needed to get some coffee, then we thought you guys probably need some, too."

"Ah," Eddie sighed happily at the prospect of non-hospital coffee, taking the box of coffee from Michael while Matthews, another firefighter, took two other bags Michael had, had balanced in his hands. "We haven't met yet, but I love you. I'm Eddie."

The two shook hands, "Michael. Pleasure." 

"It's so nice to see you," Jane gave the older man a hug. "I mean, I wish it was under better circumstances, but it's always good to see you."

"You too," Michael hugged her back with a smile. "Harry and Denny constantly complain when anyone else babysits."

At that moment, Bobby came in from the back room where he was checking in with the nurses to see if Chimney was still in surgery. He took in Michael and Harry's arrival with a pleased smile. "Hey, this is a surprise."

"We brought food," Harry told Bobby, rushing over to his mom's boyfriend after he reached over for the box of donuts and pulled them open to show Bobby proudly, "Got you a bear claw."

"That's my favorite," Bobby said happily. "Thank you."

Jane smiled at the sight, and then went to grab her own donut from the boy.

"Oooo," Jane picked one up with a flourish. "An old-fashioned cake donut. Harry, you know us well."

"Dad told me you'd be here with Bobby, and I remembered from when you took us to get donuts last time," he told Jane with a small smile.

"You are the best, little man," she said gently, giving him another hug.

"You check on Chim?" Hen asked Bobby and Jane paused, donut halfway to her mouth, waiting for an answer.

"Yeah," Bobby said shortly, looking down at the donut Harry had given him, before looking up at the two women, "He's still in surgery. It's starting to feel like an annual tradition. Another hospital. Another girlfriend not by his bedside. And me wondering what I'm supposed to tell him when he wakes up."

"That she'd be here if she could," Jane said shortly. "Maddie...Maddie would be here if she could. This is not the same Bobby. That woman," Jane refused to use Tatiana's name, she'd never liked her, "left Chimney because she didn't love him. Now, I can't say that Maddie loves him but...but she cares more about him that that woman ever did. It's not fair to compare the two Bobby. Especially when-" Jane cut herself off before she could get too emotional and she turned around to go sit in one of the overstuffed chairs in the corner, trying to breathe and calm herself down. Out of all of the people there, she was the one who was closest to Maddie and Chimney...he'd been there for her from day one. She just...she was struggling with it all.

Please be okay Maddie. Jane thought, as if her friend could hear her. Please fight and be okay.

...........

"How did you do it?" Maddie asked Jane when they were alone one night in the older woman's apartment. They'd had pasta and Maddie was drinking wine while Jane sipped on a soda because she was still on her meds. They were marathoning Friends and chatting, taking a moment away from their real lives to breathe.

"How did I do what?" Jane asked, before taking in her friend's eyes. They lingered over the bruised face and neck, not clinically like her other friends had, but more curiously. Wondering. Marveling.

Maddie had revealed bits from her past to Jane. For instance, Jane knew that her husband had very effectively isolated her from her brother and had hit her and made her feel small and weak. Such confidences, some more graphic than others as Maddie had told her details that not even Buck knew, would never leave her soul. She'd protect these secrets in a box with her own pain.

"How did you fight him?" Maddie asked. "How did you...after everything he did to make you feel so weak...how were you strong?"

"There wasn't a choice," Jane said slowly, knowing that whatever she might say next would be important. "Did I ever tell you how I got Felix?"

"No," Maddie answered.

"Well," Jane smiled, "that cat found me. The first week back to work after...after I was in the hospital, we went into this apartment complex fire. It was a raging inferno started by multiple building code violations and somehow, we got every single person out of there. But we almost didn't. I was about to leave the fifth floor when I heard this meowing, and I followed it, assuming I'd grab the cat and go. And, there Felix was alright, but next to him were two kids who'd been knocked out by falling debris. They were so small all of us missed them in the sweep and we wouldn't have found them without the meowing."

"Hero cat," Maddie said with a wry smile, which Jane returned.

"And he never lets me forget it. So, I grabbed the kids, and this cat freaking latches onto my leg like no one's business, and somehow, I carried them all out. I asked around the apartment building, every single occupant, and not one of them recognized the cat, and he still wouldn't let go of me. It was like he chose me. I was so...empty after everything and this cat saw someone who needed to love something and he...he came to me. God, that cat is insufferable." She chuckled through tears that came up.

"Anyway, I think that's why I fought, because...Felix was there. I've spent most of my life alone and when I was under that tyrant's control...he made me feel alone. I didn't have anything else dependent upon me to be strong, and I know that sounds weak but...its hard being alone. I didn't know that I was sick before and I just assumed that I was terrible. But that fucking cat depends on me and when he was on the floor...I couldn't leave him. I couldn't leave a loved one behind."

"I get that," Maddie says, "But..."

"But that's not everything," Jane nodded. "I know, but it eliminated one option for me. In that room, I had three options Maddie. I could have let myself be killed, which I wasn't a fan of. I could flee, but as I said, I had something to protect, and I wasn't leaving Felix alone. Or, I could fight."

The women were quiet for a moment, "So you fought," Maddie nodded.

"It wasn't easy. It was the hardest thing I've ever done, saying that I wasn't going to be the weak victim that he'd always made me. But I had to. It was him or me and for once in my life, I chose me."

..........

It was another two hours before they got the words that Chimney was out of surgery and was being given his own room for recovery. Another half hour later, and they said he could have visitors, but he wasn't awake yet. It was just after that announcement that Eddie's Aunt Pepa had to go to work, and Shannon was still half an hour away, impeded by California traffic, so Christopher was dropped off at the hospital.

"How are you doing?" Pepa came over to Jane who was still brooding in the corner while Eddie greeted Christopher. "Eddie said that you are close with both this Chimney and Maddie."

"Yeah," Jane said with a small smile, her voice cracking. "I'm...I'll be okay once Chimney wakes up and once we know Maddie is safe."

Pepa looked at her shrewdly. In the last few months, Pepa had grown rather fond of the young woman. Jane sent her the occasional message to check up on her and her mother, Eddie's Abuela. She offered to pick them up groceries and, much to Eddie's embarrassment, had even been invited over for their family's Sunday dinner where they proceeded to politely grill her about her background. In the end, Pepa and Isabel, could find her nothing but pure joy in human form and had told Eddie this with wide smiles as they watched her run around the yard with Christopher.

"Come here, mija," Pepa opened her arms and Jane instinctively went into them and allowed herself to be comforted in the older woman's hug. "We've been praying for your friends. I don't know what is going to happen, but you be strong. You hear me?"

"Yeah," Jane smiled a bit more genuine this time. Pepa wasn't the most tactful of comforters, but her hugs were all welcoming and Jane was warmed to know that her words meant that she cared. Jane had to admit, she loved Eddie's family and she hoped that one day, she and her new family could find such a bond. "Thank you Pepa."

"No thanks needed," Pepa brushed her words off. "You take care of others too much. Let someone else take care of you, huh? Don't be afraid to force my nephew to get you something if you need it."

Jane felt her face turn purple, as she tried not to think too much about the older woman's words. Unable to tell the older woman that she would certainly NOT be trying to demand anything from Eddie right now, she nodded uncommittedly, and let Pepa go to give said nephew a goodbye before she went to work.

"Jane!" Christopher rushed to pull her into a hug, which she gladly returned. "I'm sorry about Chimney, but dad said he would wake up soon and then we can see him."

"Thank you, Chris," she smiled, "I know he'll be okay. I'm just a worry wort."

"It's alright," Christopher nodded, "my mom and Max and Dad are the same way. They worry about everything."

"That's just because they care about you, little one. Did you have a good night at Pepa's?"

"Yeah. It was fun. Abuela came over and we played cards. I won, but Abuela says I cheated."

"Cheated!" Jane exclaimed; her voice raised slightly with playful shock. "Well then, we'll just have to have a rematch here. Test your skills and make sure that your honor is restored!" 

Chris giggled at that and nodded, and Jane took a glance around.

"Where did your dad go?" Jane asked the little boy.

"He had to go to the restroom before Pepa came over, so he probably went there when he saw you with me."

Jane sighed, "Probably. Harry is still here. Have you met him yet? He's friends with Denny."

"Really?" Chris smiled. "I liked Denny."

"Yeah," Jane beamed at the boy. "Denny liked you two. You should play together sometime. Now, lets go see what Harry is doing."

Jane introduced the two boys, and she was pleased to see that they got along instantly. They began chatting about superheroes and video games, their minds moving so fast from one topic to the next that Jane struggled to keep up. She paused though when she felt her phone vibrate. Glancing down, she saw that Farrah was calling, and seeing the time on the clock, she knew she needed to talk to her friend.

But she didn't want to leave Christopher alone. Looking around the room, she was relieved so spot Eddie coming into the room, chatting with Hen. Knowing that Chris wouldn't be alone, she turned to the child.

"Chris," Jane tapped his shoulder and the boy looked up at her with his curious gray eyes. "Your dad is right there, and I have to take this call alright? I'll be right back."

"Okay," He smiled so innocently, that Jane didn't catch the mischief in his eyes as she turned around to take the call outside.

"Hey Farrah," Jane answered once she was in the hall, away from the crowd. "Chimney just got out of surgery, and they will be letting us back to see him soon."

"That's good news," Farrah responded. "He awake yet?"

"No not yet, but they stopped giving him the hard stuff so he should be waking up soon."

"That's really good, Jane. Have...have you heard anything about Maddie?"

"Nothing good. Buck and Athena are trying to track her down, and on the trail they found a gas station attendant who'd been killed. Just before that they saw people matching Maddie and her ex's description go into the station."

"Oh Allah," Farrah breathed out. "But they didn't find Maddie?"

"No...so they still believe that she's alive."

"That's good," Farrah assured her friend. "That's something."

"Yeah. I don't know what is going to happen, but can you keep Felix a bit longer?"

"Of course," Farrah said immediately. "Karram is working from home a few days and he and that cat have bonded."

"Oh," Jane let out a chuckle. "That's...good?"

"It's something to see," Farrah laughed. "So don't worry about your fur baby. Just take care of yourself and be there for your friends. We have Felix."

"Thank you," Jane breathed out. "I owe you our next lunch."

"And I'll hold you to that. Bye Jane."

"Bye," Jane sighed as she hung up the phone and stuffed it into her jean pocket. She leaned her head back onto the cinderblock tiles that made up this portion of the hospital wall, and took a deep, calming breath. "He will wake up. They will find Maddie. Everything...everything will be alright."

Before she went back into the room, she went to the little alcove where there was a sink and some cups and got herself a small cup of water. Then, she got her pills out of her purse and took one. Only then, did she walk back into the waiting room.

She looked around for Chris and Eddie, spotting Eddie talking to Warrens another member of the 118 on the opposing shift...but not Christopher. She looked again, and he wasn't there. Thinking he was with Harry and Michael, who she also didn't see, she asked Hen where they went, and the woman told her that they'd already gone home. 

"Hey," Jane continued to look around, but forced herself not to panic, because maybe Shannon had already come and got him, and she was just paranoid for nothing. "Where did Christopher go?"

"Chris?" Eddie looked around, mildly frantic. "He wasn't here when I got back from the restroom, so I assumed he was with you? He wasn't with you?"

"No," Jane said carefully. "I had to take a call out in the hall, but I saw you come in, so I assumed you'd see him. I pointed you out to him and said I'd be right back. He was talking to Harry not even five minutes ago, but Hen said that Harry and Michael left."

"Where could he have gone?" Eddie scanned multiple faces looking for dark curls and gray eyes.

"I'm sure he didn't go far," Jane said gently, but she couldn't hide the worry in her own tone. "He probably went to the restroom, or he went to see Chimney. Why don't we check?"

First, they went so Eddie could search the restroom and when Chris wasn't there, Eddie mildly panicked, but Jane, very firmly, grabbed his hand and together they quickly made their way to Chimney's room... where they found Christopher, sitting by his bed, smiling at him and calm as you please, with Bobby smirking at the two of them. But, most shocking, Chimney was finally awake!

"Chris!" Eddie hissed, as they slid into the room.

Bobby turned his smirk from the two of them back to Christopher, "I'm gonna say no."

Jane didn't know what Bobby was saying no to, but she was beyond relieved to see that Christopher was alright. She shouldn't have left him. She should have made sure that Eddie was with his son before she took the call. She easily could have called Farrah back. What was she thinking?

"Welcome back, man," Eddie said, smiling at Chimney his worry gone as he and Jane made their way to where Chris was sitting. Christopher and Bobby both looked at where they had their hands entwined, but the couple didn't seem to notice, and so the two exchanged another silent mischievous smile between them.

"It is so good to see you awake, Chim," Jane told her friend. "You scared a good decade off my life. We were so worried for you." Jane had worried for Chimney, and Maddie, and Christopher. She felt like she'd aged at least twenty years since last night.

"I wasn't worried. I'm starting to think that he's invincible," Bobby announced to the room.

"Like a superhero?" Chris asked.

"Yeah," Bobby smiled down at Chimney. "Just like a superhero."

"Okay, buddy. Let's uh, let Chimney rest and give Jane and him a minute," Eddie said. He gave Jane's hand one last reassuring squeeze as he let go and picked Christopher up under the arms to help him stand. "We can visit him later."

But Christopher, as always, had parting advice that he delivered with a smile. "Don't eat the meat loaf." Jane pinched her lips together, desperate not to laugh. God, she loved this kid no matter what he put her through.

"No?" Chimney asked.

"That's how I lost a tooth," the boy said wisely, earning a chuckle from the three adults standing.

"Thanks for the tip, buddy," Chimney said.

"Let's go," Eddie nudged Christopher gently out of the room.

"Have a good rest," the boy said before allowing himself to be escorted away, his good deed done for the day.

"I'll be out in a minute," Jane gave them both a soft smile, and Eddie nodded before they left the room.

"Hi, Chim," Jane murmured, reaching out to hold his hand for a minute. He gave her a partial smile, delirious, which made her a bit happy, but then he asked the dreaded question. "Where's Maddie?"

Jane and Bobby exchanged a panicked look, neither of them knowing how to tell him. But, Jane was determined that this time it would be different. They would not tell Chimney that his girlfriend wasn't there because she didn't care about him.

"He got her Chimney," Jane said softly, "But we're going to bring her home."

.........

Chimney took the news with a stiff upper lip, but both Bobby and Jane could tell that he was scared. Jane left after a few minutes, promising to send Hen back. When she told Hen that Chimney was awake and asking for her, Hen burst into tears and gave her a hug, which Jane returned while crying her own tears. They had been scared. Hen and Chimney had become such an important part of her life that it was difficult to remember a time when they weren't there, and Jane didn't want to.

"He's alive. He's alive, Hen and now you have to go be with our friend."

"Yeah," she breathed out. "Yeah." Once Hen was on her way, Jane was beckoned over to Eddie who was sitting on the chairs with a contrite looking Christopher.

"Hey," Eddie called softly to Jane. He gave her a rueful smile, "Someone has something they need to say to you."

"I'm sorry for not listening to you," Chris said, looking at the floor. "Dad said that it was wrong and that I made you scared. So, I'm sorry. I just wanted to check on Chimney."

Jane's heart melted at the apology; she couldn't help it. This little boy had her wrapped around his finger and made her a sucker. She'd probably watch him hit someone with a car, and still claim he was perfect.

"Hey," Jane knelt down and looked at him, which made it impossible for him not to look at her. "I understand that. I wanted to see Chimney too. I accept your apology, but your dad was right. He got scared. I got scared. We thought something bad might have happened to you."

"Yeah," Chris nodded. "That's what he told me. So...I guess that means that you don't want to play cards with me anymore."

Jane shook her head, "Not at all you silly goose. I'd love to play cards. This just means that I won't let you win."

Chris gave a mischievous grin. "Just try and stop me."

"I will," she chuckled. "Why don't you go get one of the card decks from my purse on the couch while I talk to your dad a minute?"

"Sure," He smiled, and went off to do her bidding.

"I'm sorry," Jane said the minute the boy wasn't watching them. "I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have let him-"

"Hey," Eddie interrupted, grabbing her hands, "it's alright. Calm down." Jane took a deep breath and looked up at him. He had a small grin on his face as he looked upon her fondly.

"You're not mad?" Jane broached tentatively.

"Why would I be mad?" Eddie asked.

"That...that I left Chris by himself."

Eddie looked at her steadily, "Chris told me everything that happened. I was in the room. He knew where I was. He knew where you were. He knew that he was supposed to stay in the room, and he didn't listen. I'm sorry to say, that boy is faster than he looks, and he's escaped me more times than I'd care to admit. It's not your fault, at all. If anything, I should have seen him when I came in."

"Okay...I am sorry though." Eddie rolled his eyes, knowing that she'd feel guilty no matter what until she was reassured that Christopher was okay. It was just her way.

"Well, stop being sorry, and go play cards. I need to call and check in with Shannon.

Not even an hour after Christopher's grand escape, and before they could start the fourth round of Go Fish! Shannon arrived with a stack of pizzas. Without any hesitation or awkwardness, Jane rushed forward and took the pizzas from the other woman before Eddie could move.

"You didn't have to do this," Jane smiled widely, "but this was so kind of you."

"I'm going to take Chris back with me, but I thought you all could use the food," she said with a smile. 

"Mom," Christopher rushed up behind Jane and gave him mom a big hug, which she returned eagerly. "Jane and I were playing Go Fish! And I think that she's cheating."

"Oh yeah?" Jane asked in a challenging way, passing the pizzas back to Warrens and directing him to put them on a set of side tables near the windows. "I don't think I'm the one who took a shark from the deck when I had my back turned. I mean, I could be wrong...but I'm not."

Christopher immediately looked guilty, which made Shannon laugh. Eddie made sure that Thompson retrieved the plates and napkins from the supplies Michael brought over earlier, and went over to give Shannon a brief hug.

"He's been up to all sorts of nonsense today," Eddie said lightly. "He ran off earlier, and almost gave Jane and I a heart attack before we found him visiting Chimney."

"I apologized," Christopher told his mother earnestly. "Dad said Jane got really scared when they couldn't find me and I didn't want to scare her."

"I know you didn't," Shannon said gently. "But you learned your lesson, right?"

"Yep," Christopher popped his 'p' a habit he'd picked up from Jane when she was being goofy with him, which made Eddie unconsciously break out into a grin.

"Then, why don't you go get a slice of pizza," Eddie said gently, "Before you and your mom head out."

"But Dad! Mom! Jane said she'd play another round with me and right now, we're tied! I could win!"

Shannon smiled, "If Jane's up for it, we can stick around long enough for another game, but just one."

"Yes!" Chris cheered. "I'll go get pizza so you can talk about grown up things now."

"That," Shannon chuckled, watching him bombard Jane as they both got in line for pizza, "is your son."

"Sometimes I wonder," Eddie said half-heartedly. "Come on. Let's get some pizza before it's all gone. You should at least get a slice."

Minutes later, everyone was munching down on the pizza and Jane and Christopher had begun their final round of cards while eating.

"I don't think I brought enough," Shannon said, referring to the pizzas which were down to one or two straggling pieces. She and Eddie were sitting to the side, not wanting to interrupt the game.

"This is great," Eddie told her. "Thank you. I'm...I'm upset I'm going to miss this whole day with him, but it's good to know that you're there for him."

"Well, it was no trouble. I remember what it was like to live at a hospital. Uncomfortable chairs. Terrible food."

"Yeah," Eddie nodded. "I know that he'll be better off at home and comfortable. I love having him here but...I don't want to make him stay any longer at a hospital than he's already had to."

Shannon agreed. "I get it, but I'm not going to lie, he seems to be doing just fine." She nodded her head forward to where Chris was playing a card game with Jane, and they were both giggling like maniacs. Eddie followed her gaze and couldn't help but smile.

"Yeah," Eddie agreed. "He's doing good all things considered. Jane has that effect on people."

"So, I've come to understand. I'm not going to lie," Shannon said. "I wondered what would happen if you ever brought women around Christopher. Given Max, I know it was hypocritical, but you didn't necessarily have a good track record before we got together."

"Yeah," Eddie rolled his eyes at his younger self. "Because I was an idiot."

"True," Shannon agreed, "But you aren't anymore. You've grown into the man I always knew you to be."

"Is there a point to this sudden burst of insults and compliments?" Eddie asked her.

"Yeah," Shannon said honestly. "I like her. I just...wanted you to know that if that might have been something that would hold you back. She's ridiculously nice and way too good for you, but I like her, and I like how she is with Christopher. He adores her and its obvious to anyone that she adores him just as much.

When Shannon left, Eddie was still thinking about her words. He knew...he knew that what he and Jane were, wasn't as simple as friendship, but they also weren't together. Maybe Shannon was right, that he was holding back, and while Shannon's feelings definitely would have been considered, that wasn't the reason why he wasn't actively pursuing Jane in that way. It was more than that.

He watched her from across the room. Now that Christopher was gone, she was reading one of her crime novels and sipping a hot tea that Farrah had dropped off for her when she'd been on the way to work. He watched as she brushed an errant strand of hair from her eyes with her long, elegant hands, and crinkled her nose in concentration at the words on the page. He watched as she leaned back and tucked her feet under her, getting more comfortable as she got into the story. He loved how she was able to do that.

Once, he'd asked her why she loved reading crime novels and she'd said that she liked how simple most of them were. They were logic puzzles. She could see the clues and figure out the killer in the first fifty pages most of the time, but when she found a great writer, she'd continue guessing until the very end. He'd laughed as she'd waived her arms and animatedly recounted her most recent read in great detail. Eddie could have listened to her for hours if the bell hadn't gone off.

He'd always be willing to listen to her, no matter what she had to say.

And so he watched her, and he thought about what Shannon had said.

Jane had been through hell. Eddie had been through the wringer and was still trying to find footing with how his marriage had crumbled and his responsibility in its dissolution. He still had nightmares from his time in the army that he never wanted to remember. He and Jane were rebuilding their trust in each other after the bombshell that was Shannon. They needed time and they needed that trust back before anything more could happen. Eddie didn't want to pursue something with Jane and mess it up. He couldn't mess it up. Because Eddie Diaz knew that the minute he gave into his feelings for Jane Thomas, his entire world would change. When that happened, they both needed to be ready.

And so, Eddie Diaz thought to himself, he'd work on it, and he'd wait. He'd wait for her.

..........

When they got the news that Maddie was found, alive, but injured, Jane broke into tears. Then, when she first saw her friend, she couldn't help but rush over to her and squeeze her hand, wanting to hug her, but hyper aware of the fact that she'd been stabbed in the abdomen and that if she did hug her, she'd be kicked out. Buck just watched them both, still crying about everything. Relieved that his sister was alive.

"I fought," Maddie looked Jane dead in the eyes, and Jane knew exactly what she meant. That one conversation they had at Maddie's apartment. "I fought."

"You fought," Jane nodded and then she smiled. 

Another Chapter Down! Jane is getting me through this month as I am on the struggle bus! Don't worry, I know they weren't in this chapter but there will be more content of Jane and her newly discovered family in the future chapters. 

Also, this Pepa interaction was so...random? Unexpected? But I loved it!

What did you think of the Eddie insight? What do you think of the relationship progression? It didn't feel right to have them just jump into something. I mean, they already did one jump, but I think we can all agree that these are two different situations. 

If you want to thank anyone for this update, thank the writers for 9-1-1 Lone Star who wrote last night's episode that I watched today during my lunch break and totally freaked out over because it gave me major vibes of my last chapter! I won't give spoilers, but it was crazy actually! 

Song for the Chapter is Into the Fire by The Thirteen Senses as recommended by a top fan @FairyHope028 ! I think this song is perfect for the conversation between Jane and Maddie!

Read! Comment! Vote! I love these comments! Keep them coming! 

Also, a special thank you for the wishes of luck in the last chapter's comments! They mean everything! 

I'm done studying for the night, so we'll just see how much farther I can get in the next chapter. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.8K 352 11
Buck wanted to go home. He wanted nothing more than to be back with his family and to go home. Things had been rough this last year though, first his...
632K 12.4K 82
This is my story! PLEASE don't steal it! I have been informed of this story being on other platforms but this is the original! Please report the othe...
128K 2.9K 26
Buck is 9 when his sister leaves him and his family alone for her boyfriend Doug when she turns 18. Still at age 9, Buck realizes he's getting even l...
80K 1.4K 18
"angeline, wont you listen to me, please?" - angeline struggled with an abusive past relationship. when eddie diaz comes along, is she ready for a ne...