In Love and Diplomacy

By BritishGravity

She was never scared of heights. Avery Woodsen has spent years clawing her way up the political ladder. She'... More

Chapter One: From Sea to Shining Sea
Chapter Two: The Last Supper
Chapter Three: Room Where It Happens
Chapter Four: What Doesn't Kill You
Chapter Five: All I Had to Do Was Stay
Chapter Six: Somebody's Watching Me
Chapter Seven: Are You Sorry for Saving My Life?
Chapter Eight: Don't Rolo-ver
Chapter Nine: It Will Last Longer
Chapter Ten: If I Could Tell Her (Sterling's POV)
Chapter Eleven: Nothing Good Starts in a Getaway Car
Chapter Twelve: Safety in Numbers
Chapter Thirteen: I Am Woman, Hear Me Roar
Chapter Fifteen: I Owe Him Nothing
Chapter Sixteen: His Beck and Call
Chapter Seventeen: When the Pieces Fit
Chapter Eighteen: All Because He Touched Me
Chapter Nineteen: Brake Me
Chapter Twenty: Another One Bites the Dust
Chapter Twenty-One: Simon Says
Chapter Twenty-Two: Rolos Aren't For Sharing
Chapter Twenty-Three: He Owes Me Nothing
Chapter Twenty-Four: You Don't Get to Apologize
Chapter Twenty-Five: A Body on the Floor
Chapter Twenty-Six: Go Ahead, Ask Me
Chapter Twenty-Seven: State vs. Seaplast
Chapter Twenty-Eight: An Easy Target
Chapter Twenty-Nine: Things Worth Dying For
Chapter Thirty: You Shook Me All Night Long
Chapter Thirty-One: It Was Ours to Lose
Chapter Thirty-Two: Make Me
Chapter Thirty-Three: Where Priorities Lie
Chapter Thirty-Four: Almost, Maybe
Chapter Thirty-Five: Paint My World Green
Chapter Thirty-Six: Cornered and Caught
Chapter Thirty-Seven: Interrogate and Obliterate
Chapter Thirty-Eight: Illegal Behavior
Chapter Thirty-Nine: Life Is Full of Decisions
Chapter Forty: The Rumbles of a Roar
Chapter Forty-One: A Lioness of Teeth and Claws
Chapter Forty-Two: Cruz-ing For a Bruising
Chapter Forty-Three: Albatross
Chapter Forty-Four: I Would Burn for the Quiet (Reed's POV)
Chapter Forty-Five: House of Kennedy
Chapter Forty-Six: I Know You
Chapter Forty-Seven: Hue Are All I Want
Chapter Forty-Eight: All of My Todays
Chapter Forty-Nine: Brake Us
Chapter Fifty: Don't Look Down
Chapter Fifty-One: Diagnoses
Chapter Fifty-Two: Boss Battle
Chapter Fifty-Three: Chasing Clouds
Chapter Fifty-Four: In Love and Diplomacy
Author's Note/What Comes Next

Chapter Fourteen: Barking Up the Wrong Tree

680 61 79
By BritishGravity

"I'm saying, come over here sit next to me
We can see where things go naturally
Just say the word and I'll part the sea
Just come over here and sit next to me"

- Foster The People, "Sit Next to Me"

Chapter Fourteen

After feeding Rolo and giving myself the 'I am woman' pep talk, I was ready to face the day.

Creaking the door open, I peeked down the hallway. It was quiet. All of the doors on the second floor were closed. At this hour, I wouldn't have been surprised if Sterling was still sleeping. So, trying to walk as quietly as possible, I padded down the stairs with Rolo thundering behind me.

Real smooth, Rolo. Over a hundred pounds of grace, my dog.

I headed to the front door, but paused before my hand reached the handle. My eyes landed on the security pad. I didn't know if it was armed. I needed to ask Sterling what the code was, but I wasn't sure if he'd actually give it to me.

Am I supposed to wait to take Rolo out every morning? Should I wake him up?

My moment of contemplation was interrupted by the door opening, causing me to jump back, startled.

Sterling was pulling his phone away as he swung the door in. His face drew into surprise when he saw me; I'd jumped out of the way of the door but was still too close for social standards as I hovered near him. We were closer than I'd meant to be. I stepped back nervously, feeling too much like a teenager caught trying to sneak out.

"I needed to let Rolo out. I wasn't sure if you were sleeping," I blurted. Rolo pushed past Sterling's legs, trotting to the front yard.

Sterling nodded. His eyes followed Rolo. "I'm usually up pretty early, but you can always wake me if you need to."

He glanced at his watch as he stepped into the house. His proximity caused me to take another step back just as he stepped sideways. A glint of humor shined in his eyes as he gestured to the door.

This is like middle schoolers trying to learn the two-step.

"Are you going out?"

"Uh, yeah. Yeah, I am," I stammered. I hurried out, closing the door behind me.

What the hell is wrong with me? Why am I being so awkward?

I settled on the porch swing. I made sure to keep a close eye on Rolo; he was trained to be off leash and had excellent recall, but I wanted to make sure he didn't terrorize the squirrels too much. I probably didn't need to worry about it. I doubted he'd go too far. He was a huge mama's boy.

Besides, Rolo had always been so finely tuned to my emotions; I wouldn't be surprised if he was underfoot for a while.

It was scenic outside. I could hear birds in the trees and squirrels chittering and barking back at Rolo. The tiniest sliver of warm morning sun fell on the porch, defying the shade from the house. I could tell it'd be a hot, sticky day, but for now, it was warm and bright. Everything was fresh and full of possibilities. The sleepy daze of summer hadn't set in yet.

It was the type of morning only found in places like that. I couldn't remember the last time I'd been in nature — and I certainly couldn't remember the last time I'd looked at a picturesque corner of forest from a quiet porch swing.

I had noise traffic instead of birds, concrete skyscrapers instead of trees, and pavement instead of grass. If I ever get to D.C., I'm glad I got out of the city for a little bit.

I was finding the silver lining even if it killed me. Which it might.

The door opened again, revealing Sterling with two coffee cups grasped in his hands.

What made me do a double take wasn't the coffee, because for all I knew they were both for him, but what he was wearing. I hadn't seen Sterling in anything other than a perfect, and honestly quite attractive, suit.

However, formality was apparently not required today, as Sterling wore a dark gray athletic shirt and a pair of shorts. I hadn't noticed during our awkward dance earlier. I almost felt I wasn't allowed to see him like this, to see the more casual side of Sterling. It felt weird and almost too intimate. Especially when the shirt was even more form-fitting than his suits, showing off the curves of his shoulders and the tight strain of his arms.

Am I attracted to him?

Yes — physically. I still thought he was a jerk. I wasn't ready to roll over on the whole suspect issue yet. Besides, I wasn't really into standoffish, 'holier than thou' men.

That, and he has more walls up than a prison.

"Do you mind?" Sterling nodded at the porch swing. I shrugged and scooted over, steadying the swing from the gentle rocking I'd been doing. Sterling settled on the opposite side and offered a cup of coffee.

Oh.

"Thanks." I took it, grateful for my fix. I'd have to ask where the coffee supplies were kept in the kitchen, so I wouldn't have to rely on him for caffeine. I was already relying on him for too much. I had to draw the line somewhere.

"I wasn't sure how you liked it. There's more sugar and cream in the kitchen."

"No, this is fine. Thanks." I wasn't too picky. Caffeine was caffeine. And, honestly, it tasted great.

"How's there food here?" I asked as the thought suddenly occurred to me.

"All safehouses are equipped with non-perishables, but nearby safehouses are prepared in case of emergency when the company's put on high alert," Sterling said, sounding like a soldier giving a debrief.

I just nodded. I didn't have the experience or expertise to make a relevant comment back.

"We don't have dog food, but I can pick some up at the store. You'll just have to tell me what Rolo needs, and if you need anything."

"I have a couple days of dogfood, but we'll need some eventually," I agreed. I was ignoring the urge that begged me to ask how long we were settled here for. I feared the answer almost as much as I feared the ringing boom that'd haunted my anxieties after the party.

I guess he's being a little nicer than when we first met. Maybe he thinks I'm crazy and is being nice to me. Or maybe – stop it, Avery. Maybe he's being nice to you because that's what people do.

"How'd you get that?" Sterling asked, pointing to my arm where it laid on my lap. I glanced down, noticing for the first time my right arm was bright red. I pressed my fingers to the colored patch as heat emanated off my arm; sharp pain sliced across as my fingertips brushed the skin.

"I guess when I fell asleep in the car yesterday, I got burned." I pursed my lips, realizing I'd fallen asleep with my arm directly in the sun. I didn't have any painkillers or aloe if it got worse.

Sterling nodded, letting the summer day resume its march to tranquil serenity. It was warm, calm, and quiet — and then it was over.

"There's a couple things we should go over."

Sterling shifted in his seat as a gradual hardening took over his expression. I watched as he slipped back into analytical mode. He shook off the daze that'd almost captured him in its seasonal clutches; it was like watching shutters on a house slam closed.

"Right. Starting with how I need to reach out to some people," I agreed.

I glanced over as Sterling's fingers began to tap against his coffee cup. I was noticing a pattern: he tapped when he was thinking.

"I can reach out to Mr. Cruz and ask about your situation in D.C.," Sterling hesitantly offered.

My situation. Losing my future and everything I've worked my entire life for. That situation.

My eyes were firmly attached to the coffee cup in my hands. "Cruz has already done enough with Baros. If I can call him myself, I can beg the Ambassador to let me keep the job. I just don't know what I'll say if he asks me when I can start."

"Greystone is the best there is. We will find whoever's behind this... I just can't promise when."

"I know. I was just so close," I said softly. Then I scolded myself. It wasn't my intention to pour my life story to the man next to me. He'd have no interest whatsoever, and I'd given myself an entire pep talk that morning not to be weak.

"You can't call Baros. We don't want to give any opportunities for anyone to track us." Sterling paused briefly before continuing, "But, I'll send a request to Romano. He can coordinate with Mr. Cruz to reach out to Ambassador Baros. They'll share what they can."

"Thank you." I squeezed the mug in my fingers. I knew it wouldn't do much; Cruz had already reached out when I'd stayed the extra week. It was too much to hope for that I'd still have a future in D.C. after this.

While a part of me would keep hoping I was wrong until certain of the outcome, the more realistic part of me would be entering the stages of grief. And when that was done, when I'd mourned my dream and accepted I'd lost the edge I'd honed over the years, I would make another plan.

This opportunity would've been everything. It would've been my golden ticket to get my foot in the door. Losing it didn't mean I'd never become an ambassador, but it would be a much longer journey without it. I needed to evaluate my options and keep moving forward. I had to find a new ladder to climb. I'd find a new dream if I had to; I knew I could still get plenty of internships and jobs with my experience.

In truth, I just hoped I could get the same satisfaction as I'd expected to get in D.C..

"I also need to reach out to Kennedy Parker."

Sterling looked at me, evaluating silently before speaking. I snidely wondered if he thought she was my partner in crime.

Kennedy's a kindergarten teacher. What's she going to do, teach me the alphabet?

"Kennedy Parker?" he finally asked.

"My best friend. We were supposed to meet for breakfast this morning. She'll be worried when I don't show or reach out."

"Our computer analyst can send a text from your number. He'll send it from headquarters so it can't be tracked. A phone call is still out of the question," Sterling said firmly.

He has everything planned out, but Kennedy is going to be pissed at that. She'll never forgive me for leaving without a goodbye. But do I have any other alternatives?

"Fine." I accepted there was going to be a lot of things I didn't like about this situation. I just hoped I didn't lose my best friend on top of everything else.

Behind the house, Rolo's deep rumbling barks pierced the soft quiet of the morning. Frowning, I stood and placed my cup on the railing.

"Rolo?" I called, looking around the yard. He wouldn't have gone far, but I also wouldn't put it past him to get into something.

I was careless, I should've checked the yard before I let him roam. A rookie mistake for a pet owner. I let myself get distracted and now he's out of sight.

I went down the steps quickly when Rolo didn't appear. Rolo always listened unless there was danger or something physically stopping him. Crossing the driveway and peeking towards the back, I saw Rolo by the small shed.

He was barking at something beyond the tree line, his hackles raised. His feet were planted in a defensive stance.

"Rolo!" I called again as I jogged to him. Rolo's ears twitched back at his name, but he remained firm, staring straight ahead. I stopped a few feet behind Rolo and peered into the trees. I couldn't see anything but dense foliage.

"What's going on?"

The voice behind me made me jump. I hadn't realized Sterling had followed me.

"You need a bell or something," I grumbled, looking back at him. He stood a few feet away, eyes trained on the forest.

I shrugged as I stepped up to Rolo. "It's probably a deer. Or a rabbit. We don't get a lot of those stopping by the apartment."

"Come on, Buddy. You scared it off. Come on." Rolo slowly settled, his tail wagging again as he decided the threat was gone. He trotted by my side as we headed back towards the house.

Sterling was still looking between Rolo and the woods. I could see his brain processing, trained to thoroughly analyze and document if there was a potential threat before moving on.

Threat Level: Rabbit.

"False alarm," I called with a weak smile. Sterling shifted as he decided it was fine just as Rolo had, and turned to catch up with us in quick strides. His long legs easily crossed a greater distance than my own.

"So, 'Rolo'? Favorite candy?" He fell into pace next to me.

Is he making small talk right now? Is this what I'm doomed to? Small talk with my house warden?

"No. But it's his."

Sterling raised a brow in question towards me and then at Rolo, who'd run ahead to the yard. Rolo was living his best life here; it was a far cry from the apartments and leashes he was used to.

"The first time I left him alone as a puppy, he managed to get into some candy a coworker gave me," I explained. "It was all the way up on the table, but somehow he got up there and got into it. I came home to chewed up wrappers everywhere. Scared the hell out of me."

Now, it was a charming anecdote, but at the time I'd been hysterical. I hadn't yet known the full intricacies of taking care of a puppy, but I had known they couldn't have chocolate.

"Glad he's okay," Sterling murmured, eyes intently on me.

"Couple hundred dollars of X-rays because of the wrappers, a few calls to a pet poison hotline, and a lot of panic, but it turned out it wasn't necessary. The vet eventually said he was fine. Definitely had a stomachache, but he didn't eat enough to hurt him or need surgery. It was a lesson learned for both of us."

"So, you called him Rolo?" Sterling still looked confused, obviously unsure why I'd want to remember that event, let alone name him after it.

"It was scary at the time, but afterwards I realized it showed how much I loved him. I'd only had him for a few days at that point, but I was losing my mind. I was pretty much throwing money at the vet. Hell, I would've opened another credit card to pay for treatment if it meant he was okay. I was really unsure about getting a dog at first, but that told me everything I needed to know."

"You spent hundreds of dollars on a dog you'd only had for a couple days," Sterling repeated, impressed.

"Wouldn't you? I mean, I would've spent anything. But you know what's weird? He only ate the Rolos. There were other candies in the bowl, but he didn't touch any of them."

A small grin was unfurling on Sterling's face. One of his walls was lowering, just low enough for me to see a peek of emotion — like a single ray of sun through the clouds. There was no use denying it. Sterling was attractive; I'd be blind not to see it. And when he smiled, as odd and startling as it was, it was beautiful.

There was something special about earning a smile from someone like him.

Me: I am going to keep author's notes to a minimum
Also me: here's an author's note every chapter

Have you ever had to spend a lot of money on a beloved pet?

My family had a St. Bernard puppy that chewed up a container of sewing pins and needles (the entire room was covered in pins when we got home). After several X-rays, they confirmed he miraculously hadn't eaten any and he didn't have any in his paws. I don't know how he did it, but it was quite the learning experience of life with a puppy that weighs over 100 pounds!

- H

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

414K 8.2K 37
Book #2 (Tainted Scars Series) "Where am I? Who the hell are you?" He stared at me from across the room, "knowing my name is useless and dangerous."...
145K 4.6K 44
☆ FEATURED in Wattpad's official New Adult account under 'There's Only One Bed | Romance' *** Vivian Rose St...
12.9K 458 33
COMPLETED✅ The punishment for murder is the death penalty, what about love? "Innocent until proven otherwise" Does this apply to matters of the hear...