Tomi (A short story)

By Derbieaize

When two strangers meet in a supermarket and bond over a jar of cookies, little do they know that fate has ot... More

Author's note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26

Chapter 20

45 20 0
By Derbieaize

Song for the chapter: Jireh by elevation worship.

Tomike

"Grandma and grandpa Adenuga"

My grandparent's house was always a safe haven for everyone of us so when Tunmise's first guess was their house I was not surprised.

I remember one time when I was little girl my parents had one of their couples fights and my mother had left the house angrily and she went to stay at my grandparents house. During those times, my brothers would take up the cooking and cleaning in the house and all I had to do was sweet-talk my mother on the phone to return back home.

Deji's sudden disappearance reminded me of how much I've neglected my family ever since I went through the phase of growing up. Like the last time I spoke to my twin brothers on the phone was around three months ago and that was because we were planning a surprise birthday for my parents and as for my my elder brother Femi, he was barely around when I was a kid so we didn't really have a close relationship.

Deji was the only sibling that I was attached to. We did everything together and we even lived close to each other because according to him he didn't think he could live without seeing his favourite girl at least once every week.

Agreed we were all in a family group chat and we talked everyday. My mother sent her usual prayers every morning, my father sent us memes, Femi dropped motivational quotes here and there like the regular American dad, Tunji and Timi just dropped by once in a while but Deji was the glue holding the group together and then there's me the one in the background, their sweet little girl who's not so little anymore.

A lone tear escaped my eye and Tunmise stared at me with shock written all over his face. He turned on the car stereo and focused his gaze back on the road.

He drove into my grandparents estate and the security officers smiled at him knowingly. The head security officer, Baba Tobi walked out of the small security room and signalled for us to stop.

"Sisi Tomike!" He smiled as he rested his elbows on Tunmise's window and I gave him a half smile. "Ah what's that look on your face? Don't worry he'll be fine. Is it not that hardheaded Deji? He'll be fine." He shrugged his shoulders.

Baba Tobi has been the head security officer at my grandparents estate since they were married even before they started having children so we were basically family.

"I really hope he heals from this." Tunmise sighed and pulled out a bottle of wine from the back seat. "Please Baba manage this one. I didn't know we were going to be here today, I would have bought that chicken suya that you like yesterday."

"The one that you will end up eating with me." Baba Tobi laughed and I smiled. "Thank you my son. Okay I'll leave you both now. I was watching a very interesting movie."

"Ah this man when will you stop watching Philippine movies." Tunmise laughed as he drove to my grandparents house.

My grandparents estate was located in Banana island, one of the most influential areas in Lagos. Some of the houses here were on lease while most of them were owned by influential people who bought lands from this estate.

"Can you remember when we used to borrow Cd plates from him?" I snorted.

He pressed the horn and the security man opened the gates as if he was already expecting us and by security man I mean an army officer who looked like all he ever did was lift weights and when we drove into the compound, they were even more army men.

"The life of a political leader." Tunmise sighed. "Doesn't change the fact that this house radiates peace though. Can you see those flowers over there?"

I rubbed my sweaty palms on my thigh. This place brought a lot of memories. Good and bad memories but more of good ones.

"Tomike I don't like emotional talk so before we go in there, I just want you to know first of all that your brother is going to be fine and that as a family we are going to fight every obstacle together. Keyword, together."

I nodded and he got out of the car. "Are you going to sleep there?" My grandmother shouted playfully and I got out of the car. "My Tomike! Oh you've grown so big! Aren't you like twenty-five?"

"Yes grandma." I rolled my eyes. "Don't you think I look my age?" I pouted as I enveloped her into a bone crushing hug. The same old scent of flowers and old spice filled my nostrils as we walked into the house together.

"There's breakfast. Oh my look at the time! It's past twelve already. Okay guys your food will be up in a bit so just go upstairs."

"Where's grandpa?" I asked as I followed her to the kitchen while Tunmise ran up the stairs like a little child.

"He had a meeting he had to attend to in person." She instructed the chef to serve Tunmise pasta, meatballs and chicken. "And my grandson likes freshly squeezed orange juice so hurry and send it up to him." She instructed and I chuckled.

One thing about my grandmother was that she was going to feed us like we hadn't eaten in days.

"Tomike I'll make amala for you. Just how you love it." She smiled and I shook my head.

"Let me do it instead. I'm a big girl now." I poured water into the pot and placed it on the gas burner. When it was hot enough, I poured the plantain flour into the pot and turned it with a spatula until it became thick enough and ready to eat.

I placed the amala on a plate and turned to catch my grand-mother staring at me with a smile on her face.

"What? You're making me shy!" I covered my face and she chuckled. "I know I did it properly don't flatter me." I walked to the table situated at the middle of the kitchen and pulled out a chair to sit down.

"I'm always amazed at how much you all have grown. Didn't you see the Range Rover close to your grandfather's rickety farm car?"

I swallowed my food and gulped down water before I answered. "Yes, is it yours?"

"Ah Femi got it for me!" She laughed and I smiled. "You looked confused at first, didn't you know?" She poured more soup into my plate and I muttered thanks.

"No grandma."

"You're a Yoruba girl! I don't understand why you're using a fork to eat when you're supposed to be using your hands." She hissed and I rolled my eyes playfully. "Last time I checked you all were in a group chat so how's that going?"

I didn't have the answer to that so I just pouted.

"'Boys will be boys, men will be men. Tomike, out of all of them i expect you to be the glue holding that group together not Deji. Agreed, you all stay in different places but this modern technology has made communication easy."

"Grandma I just feel like they don't tell me anything. I try as much as I can."

"Have you even picked up your phone to call? Tomike if I don't call you, you won't even call me. It's not all about sending gifts my dear. I know you and I know you enough to know that you'll never pick up the phone to call."

"It's just the nature of my Job and it has been so nerve wracking these past few days."

"Family comes first my daughter. How do you think your grandfather and I kept this family together despite the nature of our jobs? Tomike, We put family first before anything." She patted my shoulders. "I'm not going to be here forever to remind you so start making amends now." She picked up my plates and placed them in the sink.

"I'll do the dishes myself." I sighed but she waved me off.

"Go upstairs before I make you sweep this kitchen." She threatened and I ran up the stairs to Deji's room. My grandparents had rooms for us here.

"Do you know why I like this house? They care about me. Tomike, I came to your house but you did not give me freshly squeezed juice." Tunmise feasted on a piece of fried chicken.

"Once a foodie, always a foodie." Deji laughed as he typed furiously on his laptop.

I ruffled his hair and sat beside him. "Do you know how worried I was?"

"Have you eaten?" He asked. "I don't like this fit lifestyle you think you're living. You look thinner from last time."

"I'm fine. I'm just burning all the excess fat and don't  you think that was rude! Talking about my body like that." I hissed and he apologised.

"I'm just worried. In fact for the rest of the time that you're here, you should eat only pounded yam and amala."

"That's a lot of carbs!" I whined and he chuckled.

"That's a lot of enjoyment!" Tunmise said in a singsong voice. "I think we should just spend our weekend here. Hey bro I'll wear your clothes and Tomike I'll need that your hair bonnet to protect my hair."

Deji and I shared a look with each other before bursting out in laughter. He sighed and placed his head on my shoulder.

"How was your date?" He asked and I rolled my eyes even though I know he couldn't see me.

"How are you Deji?"

"I don't know." He answered and I patted his shoulder slowly as I placed a video call on our family group chat and surprisingly my brother,Femi picked up, my brothers Tunji and Timi were also present and then my mother who cried with excitement.

"My babies!" She yelled and Deji covered his ears.

"Mum you're too loud." He said and everyone laughed. Tunmise walked over to us with the piece of chicken still in his hand.

"Hello family! Long time, no see."

_________________________________

This is just a reminder to call, hug or visit that family member today. Love you all!

Derbieaize.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

56.8K 8.7K 31
Wattysng2020 Completed✅ #1 in Nigerianromance. .............................. The story of a young, beautiful lady named Sola, who has dreams and...
80.5K 17.4K 50
"Didn't you just ask me to be your girlfriend?" I asked. He flashed a smile and replied, "Yes, I did!" "Then, what are you doing with that paper and...
115K 15.7K 48
"Okay. What's your favourite food?" "It will be you after we get married, but for now It's anything you give me to eat." He deadpanned. Tseju almost...
42.9K 12.7K 41
When Dieko's father becomes a drunkard overnight, her mother becomes a punching bag but she endures it hoping it will all end soon but when he then b...