Wife Material

By READSBYTRACY

"I didn't choose this for myself: the constant heartache, the feeling out of place in my own home, the lack o... More

aesthetic
1
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24

2

8.9K 289 288
By READSBYTRACY

My bags have just been taken downstairs by my bodyguards, as I continue to check I have everything for the plane ride. I quickly put my stuff in my carryon and head for the door, after ensuring my room is locked.

Downstairs, I make myself a peach iced tea, grab a chocolate breakfast bar, check the wrapper and then put it in my bag.

In the car, I sit close to the door, away from Elijah.

We have a smooth 10 hour plane ride, and get to Athens at 1:00am. The car journey to the hotel is brief, and I spend it sleeping.

I look around at the beautiful place I and Elijah will be staying in for the next weeks, as we deal with one of Greece's biggest crime organisations and try to make new alliances.

"Room for Haze," I vaguely hear Elijah say, to which the receptionist answers by looking at her computer. "Okay, Mr and Mrs Haze, your room will be on the 17th floor." Her words grab my attention.

We walk to the elevator, and as soon as we're in and the door slide shut, I turn to him and ask, "You only booked us one room? Why?"

He's unbothered by how much I hate this, as he types on him phone, not even dignifying me with a look. "We're not in New York anymore. Our enemies run this place. They already think this marriage is fake, just for appearances. If they find out that we're not sharing a room - as husband and wife - what makes you think they won't be out for your head."

I huff in annoyance, "Who cares if our marriage is fake. Everyone like us does it."

He clears his throat and finally looks at me, "Everybody knows I care about no one. If I married you as a contract agreement, with no feelings involved, not for love, people will believe that you're collateral damage I can afford, and try to get rid of you. You'll be their target and they'll pray day and night to have your head. My deal with your family doesn't allow that."

I understand immediately. This contract and faux marriage has controlled all our actions for the past year.

He literally can't afford for me to die.

Waking up in the morning is a struggle. After sleeping for eight hours I still feel exhausted.

This morning I and Elijah have no plans, but tonight, we're visiting the Galatas crime group in their own club. As the dutiful wife and daughter of important leaders I know I need to appear perfect, so, I have a full day of pampering and preparation to do.

I usually love doing this, but under these circumstances, it's more daunting.

After getting ready and dressed in a black sundress, I put my hair in a low puff and head for the door.

The living room area of the hotel room is filled with security guards. There's more than twenty. "I will need you all to keep constant focus on my wife. Don't let her out of your sight."

Elijah's voice is smooth and demanding, he commands the room. "Santi and Daniel will be with her all the time, I need the rest of you to blend in the background. Don't make yourself too visible, but always keep your attention on her."

There's no fucking way that all these people are here to focus on me, only.

"Elijah."

My voice makes all the heads in the room turn towards me. "Lilliana." He glances towards the men crowding the space, and they all leave, only Santi and Daniel staying.

"Twenty men? Isn't that excessive for just me?"

"I need to keep you safe, so no. I'll increase that number to hundred if I need to. You're my main priority, and I won't allow anything to happen to you."

Despite his cold and detached tone, his words cause a jolt in the pit of my stomach.

"I have a bunch of appointments. So, I need to go."

I start turning towards the door, when his voice stops me. "I'm coming with you."

"This isn't necessary, Elijah." I say. "It is." He doesn't elaborate, just grabs his phone and jacket. I grab his elbow, "It isn't.  This. . ." I look around the room, and at my bodyguards who act uninterested and unbothered by this conversation they pretend they can't hear, "This whole marriage is fake."

He lowers his voice and his head lowers to mine, "I don't give a fuck about how fake this marriage is. Nothing will happen to you on my watch."

Nothing is going to happen to me, with twenty bodyguards scattered around me at all times.

I don't respond and walk to the door.

From the hotel to the salon where I'm getting my hair done, it's a twenty minutes drive.

Walking through the door is one of the most awkward things I've ever done. The three men behind stick out like a sore thumb in the midst of the many black women in the building. I sit down and wait for someone to call me up.

When Alena, one of the hairstylists calls me up, I grab my purse and move towards her, Elijah right behind me. I roll my eyes at his proximity as I sit down.

I show her what I want on my phone, and she gets to work immediately, starting with detangling my hair.

"You guys are American, right?" She asks in Greek and I nod my head. I ask what gave it away, and she shrugs her shoulders.

"You just give me that vibe," she replies in English. I chuckle as she continues brushing knots out of my hair.

From the corner of my eye, I can see Elijah's eyes focused on me.

"That's your boyfriend? You guys here on holiday?" Alena asks. "Husband," I correct her, showing her my left hand, where the beautiful ring shines from my fourth finger. "And yes," I continue, "We're here on vacation."

We continue talking, and for the first time in a year I see a glimpse of my old self start to peek through.

She tells me about how she was born in Minnesota and is living in Greece because of her family. She asks me about how I met Elijah and I tell her all about the made up story we've been telling everyone.

"We met a couple of years ago and became friends. It was casual at first, because of the fact that we're so different, but suddenly - out of nowhere - he's asking me to marry him. I told him no, because I'm logical," Alena and I chuckle, "And for the next year he found big and small ways to sweep me off my feet and by the time he asked me to marry him again, I wanted to say yes, but I still declined. We weren't even dating and I was a bit skeptical about him.

He finally asked me to be his girlfriend and a year after, he proposed again and I said yes. I realized I'd always been in love with him and it was time."

"That's such a beautiful story. Your grand kids are going to love listening to that."

I laugh looking down at my hands.

"How'd you feel hearing her say yes after two no's?" Alena is now talking to Elijah, who now stands by the counter in front of me, where all the hair products are. "I thought she would say no, if I'm honest. But even if she did, I was ready to keep proposing until she said yes. She's the love of my life. I wasn't going to let her go."

His words still me in my spot. He usually lets me tell the story without any of his input and this isn't what I'd expect him to say.

Alena finished up my cornrows and when I look at the mirror I love how they look. "What do you think?" I nod my head, "I love these."

"Elijah, what do you think? Doesn't she look beautiful?" He steps closer and looks at the hairstyle, "She always does. But you did great."

Once again his words make my heart jolt, but it's his kiss to my temple that makes my heart stop and releases wild butterflies in my stomach.

An older stylist from across the salon says, "Baby, that man's a keeper."

Heat spreads across my cheeks. I didn't even know anyone else was listening, or paying attention to us. "Everyone here speaks English?" I ask.

Alena nods. "Yes. It's a family business. We all moved here to be closer to my great-grandma and took the business with us. They're all nosy as fuck, don't worry about them. But you're all good to go, girl."

I stand up and head to the toilet after she directs me.

After washing my hands, I go back and when I look at the price board that says they also do other services like nails and eyelashes I ask Alena if she does any other services.

"I'll do your lashes, and then I can get mama and Auntie Terra to give you a mani-pedi."

I agree and sit back down.

I look at Elijah, who stares at me. "I'm sorry. Did you have plans for today? If you do, you should go. I don't want to keep you, Elijah."

Shaking his head, he sits on the seat by me, "I'm here to stay with you, Lili. No matter how long." He uses his hand to take mine and bring it to his lips.

What's with all this PDA. This man has barely looked in my direction since I've been married to him, so why has he been so nice and touchy today? It's confusing me.

My nails and lashes are done by the time it's 4:05 pm.

When I get ready to leave, after saving Alena's number and social media, I ask her about how I can pay. "Your husband has paid already, so don't worry."

I look by the door, where said husband is, talking to Daniel.

So damn confusing.

authors note

first thing first: hey and thank you for reading my book.

This book has been in my drafts and I'm so glad y'all are reading it now that I'm releasing the chapters. I'm planning to publish chapters every Tuesdays and Saturdays (UK time) but with exams a couple of months away I may only be able to only release only one a week (only may to june bc that's when I have exams) but I'll try to have always have at least one up.

anyways, hope you're enjoying the book!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

51.2K 1.1K 43
"Everything of you is a non-existing dangerous drug, Natalia. And I'm addicted to it." He whispered in my ear. He brushed his nose on my neck and th...
6.9M 182K 78
~β—†~ "We have no other choice than to marry you off to Mr. Knight's grandson, Jacob." I looked up at my parents in shock "What! you guys are joking ri...
89.2K 2.4K 64
Book I: Drowning in the Pain (completed) Book II: Silence of the OmertΓ  (ongoing) -------------------------- Family as defined in Lilo and Stitch is...
63.9K 1.2K 52
This story is purely made from my Imagination. A Mafia Romance By Dylanobriensmami ---------------------- πŒπˆπ‘π€ππ„π‹π‹π„ 𝐀𝐋𝐕𝐀𝐑𝐄𝐒 I was sen...