The Art of being Strangers

By sidhttps

It's been two years since the student Basil Farrow was announced missing. No one really knew what happened to... More

Author's note
i.
ii.
iii.
iv.
v.
vi.
vii.
viii.
ix.
x.
xi.
xii.
xiii.
xiv.
xv.
xvi.
xvii.
xviii.
xix.
xxi.
xxii.
xxiii.

xx.

35 4 2
By sidhttps

After discovering what was in Esther's locker, I went back to class only to ask if I could go home for the rest of the day because my palm hurt too bad. Mr. Ben, aware of my injury, let me go. Ansel gave me a long glare. I ignored his glance.

Everything felt unreal. Everything but realizing Esther is probably the killer. It all started to make sense. I tied the pieces together and made up a story.

Back a few months ago, I'd always notice Esther staring at me while I was looking at Basil's pictures. She was trying to be discreet- but I still noticed how her eyes were always on me. Was she spying on me? Was she trying to figure out if I knew what really happened to Basil? That night at the party, I remember Marigold telling me a few days ago how Esther only came to the party because I did. She laughed, telling me she didn't know why Esther would want to come only because I did. Mainly because Esther and I didn't talk. I never really gave any attention to these small details. I found them random, maybe even common. But they all tied up. I recall how she talked to me in the car the whole way to the party, trying to get to know stuff about me. And how she came up to me to talk about Basil. It didn't seem like a coincidence anymore. She started talking about him, knowing I was drunk, hoping to get any information she could out of me. And when she saw I didn't want to talk about him, she pulled the 'suicide' card so I would argue back. I straight up told her I knew he was murdered, didn't I? I basically gave myself away.

And then she got mad. Was she mad because I knew something I shouldn't have had? That made sense. Her reaction made sense now. Was she even drunk back then? Or was she just acting like that, trying to gather information? And then, after one week, she suddenly wanted to be friends. I didn't think too much of it. After all, I thought it was to my advantage to have her as a so-called friend. But as I thought about it more, it was her advantage, not mine. Having me as a friend, she got to spend more time with me, meaning she got more information. Hell, she even knew where I lived, didn't she? I bet it wasn't Marigold who told her where I lived. After all, I didn't even show Marigold which house was mine. I just told her my house was on the street behind the corner.

And today she was randomly missing from school. Was she planning something? I didn't want to be scared, but it didn't seem like I had any other feeling other than fright. Why would she leave her journal in her school locker? It didn't make sense. It didn't make sense how she wouldn't have buried such important evidence. Was she trying to get me to discover it? To make the connection? My head hurt.

"What are we going to do now?" I whisper to Basil.

We were outside, in the yard. I was getting ready to leave.

"Should we report her?" I ask.

"No, not yet. We don't have enough proof," he replied.

"But what about the journal?"

"For us, it may be more than proof. But for the police, believe me, they won't even consider it proof. Plus, we don't even have it, do we?"

I freeze. He was right. I got too scared and literally threw the journal back to its place and slammed the door shut. I then stormed out of the hall into the class so I could go home. However, I suddenly remember about the keys. I quickly search into my pockets, agitated.

"Shit! I must've had lost the keys too. I probably dropped them from my hand when we were at the locker," I cried.

"I wouldn't go back if I were you."

"As if I was going back near that locker. No thanks."

"What can I do to get more proof out of her? I can't just- make her admit she killed you."

He stopped. "Listen, this might sound crazy but—"

"I'm not going to listen. Whatever crazy idea you have, drop it."

"It's not that crazy. Listen."

He waited for me to nod so he could continue.

"What if we get her to confess?" he says.

I put my head in my hands. "I was sure you were going to say this. This is exactly why I stopped you before you could say it."

"But it's everything they need. A confession."

"But what if they don't believe it?"

"They will. You'll make sure Esther tells the whole story."

"How am I going to do that? Do you even think she's that dumb to confess murder to me and then let me go unharmed?"

"Oh. Didn't think of that."

"Exactly."

"Then I'll stop her if she tries doing any harm to you."

I almost laughed. "Sure."

"I mean it. Don't you wonder how you got that bruise from me? Even if I was a ghost?"

I went silent.

"My touch can become physical, Creek. Like it or not, it can. If she tries to harm you, I'll come in between you two," he continued.

"Are you positive you can?" I ask unsure.

"Positive."

"Then, what's the plan?"

We made a plan. Nothing too sophisticated. I just needed to lure Esther into the forest. At night. I don't know why Basil requested it should be nighttime, but I trusted his words. Basil said the forest was also safer. He knew the forest well, so if I had to run away, Basil will guide me somewhere Esther wouldn't find me. All I had to do was to bring her to the school's forest, the place where Basil died. What's greater than getting someone to confess their murder in the place they killed somebody?

We'll put up the camera – for hopefully some footage and audio – and leave it recording until I come with Esther into the forest. I'll just ask her to hang out with me. It's not like she will refuse me, anyway. I just need to get in touch with her.

"Should I call her?" I ask Basil.

"No. Wait until tomorrow. Tomorrow will be the day," he replied.

I nodded.

*

To my surprise, Esther came to school the next day. I wasn't mad at the fact that I didn't have to call her. I was glad, actually. That just meant less work.

She arrived late, probably during the last twenty minutes of music class. I gave her a smile when she entered. Her eyes immediately locked with mine. She smiled back. Marigold was also grinning beside me, happy that her friend was back. But Esther's eyes were stuck on me. She ignored Marigold.

Esther sat down at the desk beside me, which to my advantage, happened to be empty. Instead of paying attention to class, I started talking to her. She was attentive to every word of mine. I had the urge to shiver at her glance but managed not to. Basil was next to me, giving me ideas of what small talk I should make next. Mari, on the other side, tried joining in the conversation. I was surprised she didn't ask Esther why she wasn't at school yesterday. If Mari didn't say anything about it, I decided I shouldn't say anything either. When Marigold saw that Esther wasn't really paying any attention to her and that neither was I, her mouth closed, forming a thin line. I felt bad for ignoring her, but after I'll do what I have to, everything will be better.

When the bell rang, Marigold got her stuff and left without waiting for us. I expected that. Esther and I were the only people left inside the classroom. And Basil, of course. But then, Esther rose from her desk, picked up her bag, and started walking towards the door. I quickly got up too and grabbed her hand, so she won't leave. She turned to look towards me, a confused look on her face.

"Uh... I was wondering if you'd like to hang out with me later," I say awkwardly.

"Good job, idiot. That sounded like you just asked her on a date," Basil commented, a bored tone in his voice.

I tried my best not to respond to his commentary. Instead, I looked at Esther again and smiled.

"Sure! I'll tell Marigold about it. You can tell Ansel," she said showing excitement.

"What? That's not what I meant. I want to hang out without them," I say, trying not to cringe at my own words.

Her mouth was slightly open. "Just the two of us?"

I nod.
"Sure, I'd love to."

I don't think I ever felt this relieved before. I grinned. "How about we go to the forest in the evening? If you want to, of course."

She didn't say anything for a while. "In the evening? Isn't going to the forest when it's dark outside forbidden?" Esther asks.

It was. This school had stupid rules. No going into the forest during school hours. No going into the forest when it's dark outside. Then when were we supposed to go? I kind of understood the rule about not going in the forest when it's dark outside. It was pretty obvious what it meant. It meant that the school was too scared to leave students in the forest – their propriety – when it was dark because it was considered dangerous. Basically, they didn't want anything to do with accidents. So that was their rule to prevent it. Of course, people still went into the forest at any time they wanted. And that was exactly what Esther and I were going to do.

"No, not really. I heard it's only bending the rules if you enter the forest after midnight. And during school lessons, of course," I lie.

Her smile re-appears. "Then, I'd be more than pleased to go with you. What time?"

"Can you make it at nine?" I say, unsure if the time is okay.

I look over at Basil for any sign, and he nods his head in approval.

"Sure, I can make it," Esther replies.

"Then, how about we meet on our street and just walk together to the forest?"

"That's perfect."

I only realized I was still holding her hand when she slightly moved it. I let go of her, apologizing. She laughs, telling me it was okay.

"If you don't have anything better to do, you should join me and Marigold on a walk. I promised her I'd skip P.E," Esther suddenly said.

"Yeah, no. How about you don't do that. Tell her you have other plans," Basil interrupts.

"I'd love to, but I can't ditch P.E again. Marigold forced me to skip yesterday," I explain.

She nodded. "Alright, then. I Guess we'll see each other during breaks and in the evening."

"Surely. I'll text you."

"Perfect."

Esther then left the classroom. I swear I saw some blond hair when Esther opened the door, but my thoughts were quickly interrupted by Basil.

"First Marigold, and now Esther. Are you trying to steal everybody's girlfriend's, Creek?" smirked Basil.

"Like I would. I told you already. I wasn't flirting with Marigold. And if I'm not wrong, Esther's single," I shot back.

"Yeah, sure, fall in love with a murderer. I wonder how that'll turn out," he says, rolling his eyes at me.

"Funny how you were more worried about the murderer part than the fact that she was your girlfriend," I say.

"It was two years ago. I don't care anymore, honestly. She's all yours."

I looked at him silently. I could tell that he was actually telling the truth.

"You know I wouldn't do that, right?" I whisper.

"What, get together with Esther?" he replies.

I cringe as I hear his words. "Yes, that."

"Well, you're not doing great at not doing it."

"How else was I supposed to ask her to come to the forest?"

"I don't know. Maybe not making it sound like it was a date?"

"If you don't care about Esther why are you even mad if I asked her on a 'date'?"

He looked like he wanted to say something, but the words stopped on his tongue.

"Whatever," he said instead.

"Right," I say.

We were now in uncomfortable silence.

"I don't like her," I insist.

Basil ignores me.

"I don't like girls."

His glare caught my eye.

"Oh?" he responded.

"Never mind."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

997 88 17
This is a captivating story that takes us on a mystical journey through the eyes of an 18-year-old girl who has the unique ability to communicate wit...
2.5K 471 41
When a weary college student accidentally summons the ghost of an arrogant billionaire, she hesitantly agrees to help solve his dark disappearance, b...
721 98 22
Mature Audiences: Everything happens in 3's, a murder, a lost love, and a fantasy, many years in the making... But will she survive when all three of...
12.6K 875 24
Krystal Willard has always known that she was different. Beginning when she was a child she has been able to get slight flashes when she to...