Jack & Lucy

By edenae22

Jack Dalton has been the apple of Lucy Halloway's eye since they started working together at Mag's Sports bar... More

Jack
Lucy
Jack
Lucy
Jack
Lucy
Jack
Lucy
Jack
Lucy
Jack
Lucy
Jack
Lucy
Jack
Lucy
Jack
Lucy
Jack
Lucy
Jack
Lucy
Jack
Lucy
Jack
Lucy
Jack
Lucy
Jack
Lucy
Jack
Lucy
Jack
Lucy
Jack
Lucy
Jack
Lucy
Jack
Lucy
Jack
Lucy
Lucy
Jack
Lucy
Jack
Lucy
Jack
Lucy
Jack
Lucy
Jack
Lucy
Jack
Lucy
Jack
Epilogue

Jack

73 8 1
By edenae22

She finally said it. Something finally caused Lucy's guard to drop and she said the words I had been waiting to hear. She looked relieved after she said it. Like those three words have been physically weighing her down. I don't know what has been holding her back, but I was so happy she said them. It felt like another barrier had been lifted between us and it was another reminder that I could not fuck this up. That I needed to continue to be a good boyfriend with my head out of my ass. 

The rest of the drive to Tucson was uneventful and I think the panic attack drained Lucy. She drifted to sleep about ten minutes after pulling back onto the road and I let her sleep for the remainder of the drive. I know that I told Lucy that I was aware of her anxiety, but I had never seen a full-blown attack before. It was startling and at first, I had absolutely no idea how to help. Then I remembered her once telling me that when she used to have an anxiety attack, she would walk through the basics of her sugar cookie recipe. That's how she memorized all the measurements and ingredients. She needed to distract her brain with something she could picture and focus on. 

I know Lucy's family stresses her out, I know she and her sister aren't close, I just didn't realize how much pressure Lucy was under to appear put together and that pressure is slowly creeping onto me. Lucy has told her mother nothing about me, and I wanted to go in and just be myself. I'm now realizing I can't go in there and be carefree, laid-back Jack. I need to be on my best behavior with my best face forward. I worry about what Lucy will do if her mother doesn't approve of us. Or of me. 

I have to shake Lucy awake when we arrive at the security gate that tucks away the 55 and older community her parents live in. She shakes off her nap and then relays the gate code to me. Once we are able to roll through the bronze gate, I realize her parent's luxury home sits within an endless stretch of million-dollar ranch-style houses. Golf carts are the vehicle of choice on these roads and plastic blondes are seated next to their wrinkly husbands as they wiz by us. Lucy instructs me up a small hill and I spot a golf course tucked behind the houses on the west side. 

"Your parents live in a luxury community and you are worried about asking for a laptop?" I ask in awe as I look around the stucco and stone houses. My parents are well off in Phoenix, but even they don't live in an area this lavish.

"My parents don't live in luxury by giving their money away," Lucy mutters in a tone that says she's only repeating what she's heard before and her eyes stay glued to the houses we pass. 

"Did you ever live here?" I ask as we continue to pass curved driveways. 

"I did after I left New York when I was twenty-one. I left to Scottsdale when I was twenty-three and then enrolled in ASU when I was twenty-four."

"I'm surprised it took you two years to get out of Tucson. What did you do here?" I ask, slightly in disgust because I really don't know what there is to do for a twenty-one-year-old here.

"I worked for the golf course and performed in the local ballets. Taught some classes."

"Okay, so when did you officially hang up your ballet slippers then?" I ask her. "Because I haven't seen you in anything since I've known you. So it's been at least three years." 

She nods, "The last time I put my foot in my pointe was the closing night of The Nutcracker. I went to Phoenix to audition for that ballet and after that night, I was done. So yeah, it's now been five years." 

"But to your mom, it's been five minutes," I say as she points to the sandy brown ranch at the end of the cul-de-sac. 

"To my mom, it still hasn't happened. Just wait," she says and I slowly roll onto the driveway. There is a sleek Lexus SUV parked in front of the chocolate brown garage door and it's weird to think the Lucy I know comes from money. I never associate that with her. I don't even think she carries a name-brand purse. 

After I park, I place a hand on her knee and ask, "You good?" She's staring out her window toward the wide front door and she slowly nods her head. 

"I'm apologizing now for anything that might happen in there." She finally turns to face me but the smile I was expecting to see isn't there. She's dead serious. 

"Luce, it will be fine. Let's go do this," I tell her before I lose my nerve. I'm suddenly grateful for my parents. They welcome everyone I shove through their front door with open arms. 

I quickly make my way out of the car and over to her door. I would be lying if I said I wasn't nervous. I feel like I have to be the best version of myself, as if I am heading into an interview. I can't say anything stupid and I need to sell myself. Let them see how great I am for their daughter and how perfect she is for me. 

She snatches her hand into mine and I realize we never stopped to get wine. Her panic attack consumed me for the rest of the drive and I totally spaced it. I pause on their stone walkway and tug on Lucy's hand, "I can't go in there empty-handed. I forgot the wine."

"It's fine, she wouldn't have drunk it anyway," Lucy says with a wave of her hand. I then remember the flowers I had bought for Lucy sitting in my trunk and hold a finger out. I dash back to my Jeep and after rummaging around in the back, I swipe the flowers wrapped in paper from the bag and stride back toward Lucy. 

"You just keep bouquets of flowers tucked in the truck?" She asks me in awe, her eyes wide. 

"No, these were for you for later," I confess and she tips the flowers toward her to see what's inside. 

"My mother gets my flowers?" She asks in mock fury. 

"Yes, because my mother would beat my ass if she found out I came to meet your parents empty-handed." She finally allows herself to smile and she presses her face into the bundle. 

"Well thank you for the flowers. I love them," she says and quickly adds, "Now I wanna know what else you have back there." She tosses a glance toward the driveway and I just bounce my eyebrows in response. She can't help the blush that covers her cheeks and I am glad we're smiling as we approach the door and not devoid of color. She checks the handle and when she sees it's unlocked, she gives me one last anxious glance. I wait as she pushes the door open and she quickly drops my hand as we cross the threshold. Sunshine greets us in the foyer but the house is quiet. 

"They are probably on the patio," Lucy says as she scans the space and I follow behind her as we cross into the back of the house. I look around the massive, open rooms and notice the design is much different than the modern look my mother does. The decor and furniture are very mismatched but somehow all go together. Large woven rugs cover the dark stone flooring and neutral tones are the only colors on the furniture. It's very Pottery Barn meets luxury World Market. They probably shipped in the massive, puke green vases that sit on the floor next to the low linen couch and the ornate buffet that holds the books meant solely for decor was probably hand-carved in Morocco. 

I point to the wide iron chandelier that rests above the long wooden dining room table and whisper, "Is that from the Magnolia Collection at Target?" Lucy lets out a burst of a laugh that echos around the quiet space. 

"That's why I am obsessed with you Dalton, you can say stuff like that with a straight face." She looks ahead and I spot the back door she's leading us to. From the window, I see two brunettes sitting at the patio table with their backs to us and it's obvious which one is Lauren and which one is Lucille. I give Lucy's hand a quick squeeze before it lands on the sliding glass door and both woman's heads snap to us as she slides it open. 

"Lucy, why didn't you call when you arrived?" Her mother asks with a hint of annoyance as she stands from the plush patio chair and it's obvious where Lucy gets her height and long legs from. 

"The front door was open," Lucy replies and she leans forward to give her mom a brief hug. Lucielle's wide blue eyes land on mine and as her daughter backs away from her I stick my hand out, "Hi, Mrs. Halloway. I'm Jack. It's nice to meet you." 

"Jack?" She asks as if Jack is a foreign name, unheard of. 

"Yes mom, this is Jack Dalton."

"Ah, Jack," her sister says as if it just dawned on her that the name rang a bell. She moves in front of Lucy and I can't help but notice how attractive Lucy's sister is and I will never be able to admit that to anyone. I shouldn't have even had the thought. She's shorter than Lucy but has every curve hidden behind a sleek black dress that Lucy wishes she had. Her full, berry-colored lips sit in a smirk and her blue eyes are dark, without a hint of green like Lucy has. 

"I'm Lauren, Lucifer's sister," she jokes and then lets out a short melodic laugh. "These for me?" She asks while reaching for the bundle. Her hair is also a darker shade than Lucy's, nearly black and her petite frame has me thinking of Megan Fox. No wonder Lucy has such a complex if this is who she has been comparing herself to for twenty-eight years. I bet that's how Luke feels when he stands next to me. 

"Lauren, yes, nice to meet you," I finally say as I let her hand grip the stems. I hope Lucy didn't notice my eyes linger for half a second too long. She can never ever know I think her sister is stunning. Her massive wedding ring also glows off her finger, shining brightly as she wipes a stray hair off her forehead with her dainty hand. 

"Lucy said she was bringing a friend."

"Where is Dad? And Marcus?" Lucy interrupts as she glances around the space, wondering where the other males are. 

"Oh their tee time was pushed, so probably nearing the back nine," Mrs. Halloway answers, and I don't miss the panic that flits across Lucy's face. I too was under the impression that there would be other men here to help me in this situation. "Dinner will be delivered around six." 

I know it was just past two when we parked, and I instantly think of "The Office" and the iconic dinner party episode. For some reason, I didn't think we'd have to wait two hours to eat. And I am now the only man standing here on a patio full of female tension. 

"Bodecelli's, your favorite," Lauren says to Lucy with a wink and Lucy makes no attempt to hide her glare. "You eating carbs again? Looks like it?" Lauren adds and Lucielle turns to run her eyes over Lucy. 

"You still have some kind of cardio in your routine I hope?" Lucielle asks with her eyes on Lucy's torso and I am thrown off by the comment. Lucy had warned me it might get brutal in here, I just didn't take her seriously. 

"Yes, mom. I'm back to going to barre classes and I try to run three times a week," Lucy mutters, trying to refrain from a full eye roll. 

"You look fit," Lauren says as she looks over to me with her head tilted. "I bet you are strong enough to pull a vase down for these, right?" She gives me another smirk and it's weird to have Lucy's married sister tossing me flirty vibes. 

"I'm sure I'm tall enough to reach what you need," I answer, avoiding commenting on my physique. Lauren takes a step toward the sliding glass door but Lucy stops her. 

"I can show him where the vases are," Lucy offers. "Grab us some drinks." I scan the patio table and it looks like her sister has already opened some wine, thank god. 

"Fine, but don't use the glasses from Germany," her mother warns and Lucy gives her a quick nod before striding in front of me to reach the safety of the house. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

247K 10.6K 54
Mia Hill. College bound with an athletic scholarship. A go-getter with big dreams and a fully thought out plan to make sure they come true. But with...
56.4K 1.9K 51
*UNEDITED* The everyday life of Olivia Brooks, a 25-year-old waitress from Calgary, is influenced by ten-hour shifts, cozy evenings in her old, littl...
293K 4.5K 24
"Come on Austin. Please delete the video!" "No way." He smirks, "That'll be too easy." "What do you want from me?" "I need you to be my fake girlfr...
944K 36.9K 27
A shy art student finds herself drawn to an older guy she encounters in a cafe. Something sparks between them, but everything is not black and white...