Moonlit Shadows

By Avid_Rdr

20 years have passed since we last visited Blood Mountain. Life has continued on, but for some of Blood Mount... More

Dead Ends
Home Is Where Your Heart Is
Just Like Old Times
On Your Own Terms
Arrivals
Destiny
Getting to Know You
Old Aquaintances And New
Whom Can One Trust?
Moonlight
The Transgressions of a Few
Unforgotten Memories
Confusion
Treating the Wounds
When You Can't Stand To Be Apart
Distractions
Missing Luna
A New Plan
Connections
Getting To Know You
Come Back
Sounds of Grief
The Voice In Your Head
Today We Fight
Doubts and Decisions
The Full Moon
Pain and Hope
Friends Don't Let Friends Travel Alone
To London, To London
To Meet The King
So Close, Yet So Far
Things To Be Done
Sometimes It Takes A Vampire
Betrayal
Every Problem Has A Solution
Suspicion
Unleashed
Live To Fight And Fight To Live
Know Your Enemy
How Does One Win in a Bloodbath?
And It Ends in a Reckoning
The Slowest Way To Die Is To Wait For A Loved One To Live
Appreciation for the Mundane
Wounds Can Be Healed By Truth
Finally Home
Wedding Jitters
Two Become One
Overwhelm
The Best Is Yet To Come
Epilogue

Narrow Misses

344 34 45
By Avid_Rdr

Jungkook and Jaci had spent twenty minutes cleaning up the breakfast mess, laughing and chatting as they did so. Jungkook learned Jaci was a self-proclaimed "airhead," and while he disagreed, he laughed as she regaled him with story after story entailing her absent-minded exploits.

Jaci learned that Jungkook loved photography and that his affinity for snow was borderline obsessive. Nevertheless, she found it all endearing and made a mental note to watch him more closely when they visited Taehyung's side of the mountain.

Which then reminded her...

"Hey, I want to go check on Sunny. Do you mind?" she asked as they stood ready to exit the kitchen.

Jungkook frowned. "My permission isn't required in a situation like this, you know. Only in pack matters."

Jaci grinned at his seriousness and shook her head. "I wasn't necessarily asking for permission. I was simply being considerate. I wasn't sure if you had plans or not."

Jungkook's ears tinged red. He smiled shyly and shook his head. "Not unless you want to go have a run with me."

Jaci grinned. "I think that would be fun. Just give me a few minutes to check on our vampy friends first."

Jungkook's head dropped back, and he laughed loudly. "Don't let Hyung hear you call him vampy."

Jaci giggled, and her heart swelled with affection as she listened to him laugh whole-heartedly. The way his nose scrunched up when he laughed made her heart race. He was so adorable and yet drop-dead handsome at the same time. It shouldn't even be allowed for a man to be so good-looking, but apparently, Jungkook was severely blessed.

Jungkook finally stopped laughing and leaned over to place a chaste kiss on Jaci's temple. His hands were stuffed into his pockets as he did so, clenched into fists in an effort to resist pulling her against him and keeping her in his arms for the entire day.

"Don't be too long," he whispered, making goosebumps rise on her skin.

"I won't," she assured him, casting demure glances at him as she walked away.

The kitchen door closed behind her, and Jungkook let out a slow release of air through puffed cheeks. He was antsy to get home and start their life together, leading their pack as a mated pair.

Speaking of his pack, he wondered where Hoseok and Jimin were. But he didn't have to wonder long because the pair came shuffling through the door looking haggard and worn.

Jungkook looked at them with concern, and he felt guilty that he had gotten a good night's rest while they had been cleaning up after the fight. He jumped into action as the pair slumped down in their chairs.

"Coffee?" he asked.

Both men nodded, eager to get some amount of caffeine into their systems.

"Who knew Hunters were like lead when they're dead?" Jimin stretched out his stiff arms over his head, groaning at the soreness he felt in them.

"I'm just glad it's done. I'm ready to go home." Hoseok leaned his head back, rubbing his cheeks with his dirt-stained hands.

"What did you do with them all?" asked Jungkook as he set two steaming mugs down in front of his friends.

"Cut off their heads and then dug a thousand holes. If there are any legends of Hunters coming back to life, I'm certain none of these will. Especially considering we buried them upside down in those six-foot deep holes, I don't think any of them will be back."

Jungkook laughed at Hoseok's disgusted tone as he spoke. "Thank you for doing all that. I'm sure it was hard work."

Hoseok nodded slowly in agreement as he pulled his head down towards his chest. "It was an honor to fight alongside you, Alpha."

Jungkook felt a combination of pride and uneasiness at being addressed by the title his friend formally held. "Hyung, you don't have to call me that," he said softly.

Jimin smiled, his eyes barely showing over his cheeks. "Listen, Kook, you may be our little brother, but you are our Alpha now, and you are worthy of all the respect that comes with the title. You've earned it."

Jungkook always felt a bit shy when being praised by these two. They meant the world to him, both as friends and as packmates. "Thanks. So I thought of going on a run to clear off some steam. You guys want to come?"

Jungkook wasn't sure if the exhausted werewolves would want to join him, but he wanted to offer anyway.

"If it's okay, I really just want to crash for a few hours," said Jimin. "I'm so tired I don't even think this caffeine will keep me awake."

Hoseok chuckled and nodded. "I'm with you. But, hey, Kook, take Jaci with you. I don't think she's been on a run before as a full-fledged wolf."

The way Hoseok winked and wiggled his eyebrows made Jungkook laugh in embarrassment.

"Yeah, yeah. She already said she'd come. Just waiting for her to get done checking on Sunny."

"Sunny's alive?" Hoseok's mouth hung open, and he looked at Jungkook wide-eyed.

"Yeah, she woke up this morning. I guess whatever Zephyr shoved down her throat helped. I'm glad too. I didn't want to pull Taehyung off the ledge again."

"Again? Did something happen?" asked Jimin, his face showing worry.

Jungkook leaned back against the counter and shoved his hands back into his pockets. "He was falling apart. It's one thing not to know what you're missing out on, and then to finally have it and at risk of losing it forever."

Hoseok nodded, his mouth in a tight, thin line. "I know exactly how that feels," he muttered.

Jungkook sighed. "Yeah. I was able to calm him down, and then I sent him back to Sunny's side. I haven't spoken to him yet, but I'm sure he was over the moon when she woke up."

"He's lucky," said Hoseok.

Jungkook and Jimin both sensed a hint of bitterness in Hoseok's tone. Jimin responded by standing up and groaning loudly. "I'm pretty sure there's a bed somewhere with our names on it, Hyung. Let's go find them before I collapse."

Hoseok stood up slowly, weariness hanging all over him. "Good idea. See you later, Alpha," he said, bowing his head and winking at Jungkook.

Jungkook snickered as the two left him alone once again. Perhaps it was time to check on Taehyung for himself.

***

"I'm so glad you're okay," said Jaci, tears of happiness flooding her brown eyes.

"Me too," said Sunny. She still felt weak and sleepy, but Zephyr said it would probably be a day or so before she was back to full strength. Finding oneself at death's door isn't something one recovers from quickly, he reminded them.

"She scared me to death," said Taehyung. He was still sitting on the bed, staying as close to Sunny as possible. It was as if he was afraid she would disappear if he left her side.

"Typical vampire. He's so dramatic," said Sunny, rolling her eyes but grinning at the same time.

Taehyung huffed and tried to pretend he was offended, but he couldn't. Nothing Sunny could ever say or do from now on would anger or irk him in any way.

Jaci smiled, happy to see the two lovebirds together again.

"How's Kookie?" asked Sunny, looking at Jaci.

"He's great! We're going on a run after I leave here." Jaci's hands fidgeted in her lap, and she felt her cheeks heat up under Sunny's scrutinizing stare.

"A run, eh? Sounds romantic," teased Taehyung.

Sunny gave him a dark glare and shook her head. "Men. Always thinking about one thing." She turned her eyes back to Sunny and smiled gently.

"Have fun, Jaci. You and Kookie deserve some good times now."

Taehyung hummed his agreement and leaned down to press a kiss to the top of Sunny's head. Just then, a soft knock on the door was all that alerted them to Jungkook's entrance.

"May I come in?" he said as he poked his head into the room.

"Oh, Kookie! Of course!" Sunny struggled to push herself up with her arms, and Taehyung frowned but helped her get into a seated position.

Sunny held her arms out to her beloved Kookie, and the two embraced in a tight hug.

"You scared me, Noona," he whispered as both of them clung to one another.

"I'm sorry. I'm glad you're okay too," Sunny said as tears rolled down her cheeks.

Jungkook pulled back and cleared his throat. He purposely kept his eyes averted from the jealous glare he knew was coming from Taehyung.

"Sometimes I think you're happier to see him than you are me," grumbled Taehyung under his breath.

Sunny laughed softly and shook her head. "Never in a million years, my love. I'll always be happiest to see you."

She emphasized her words by leaning her head on his shoulder.

"That's better," he said, smiling smugly at Jungkook.

Jaci laughed at their teasing and reached a hand out to her mate. "I'm glad you came up," she said.

"I needed to check on this guy. I don't think this castle can afford any more of his breakdowns."

Taehyung's eyes grew wide. His jaw dropped open at the betrayal from his friend.

Sunny lifted her head and narrowed her eyes at her husband. "What did you do?" she said in a low and menacing tone.

"Really, Jungkook? I thought we were friends," said Taehyung flatly.

Jungkook laughed and pulled Jaci up to stand with him. He shrugged, and the couple left, promising to come back later. They heard Taehyung confessing his sins to his wife and Sunny gasping in surprise as they walked out.

"They'll be fine," said Jungkook, leaning over to speak into Jaci's ear.

The door closed behind them, and then the pair were alone in the long hallway.

"So, when do we leave?" asked Jaci. She looked up at Jungkook and swung their hands back and forth.

"Last one to the woods is a wet dog," he said, tearing his hand from hers and dashing off down the hall.

Jaci gasped and took off after him, shifting as she ran and leaving torn clothing behind her in her wake.

***

The woods around Castle Tierkrieger Isness were dense and heavily forested. Wildlife was abundant, and there was no one around for miles. It was a perfect setting for werewolves to run.

Jungkook kept one ear tuned to the she-wolf running behind him, careful to keep tabs on wherever she went. But, unfortunately, he was upwind from her scent, so the sounds she made were all he could follow.

The thrill of the chase filled them both with excitement. Jaci had tried to creep up on Jungkook at various points only to be caught in her own traps.

The birds and other animals were not allowed to rest as the two werewolves tore through the underbrush and thickets. As they came around one particularly large oak tree, Jungkook tripped over some large roots and stumbled head over paws to the ground.

Jaci, hearing a scuffle but never slowing down, soon found herself plowing through her mate and skidding to a stop a few feet away from him.

Jungkook laid on his back, stunned and panting. His paws slowly sank downward and folded at the ankles. His tail slowly thumped the ground, and he impatiently waited for Jaci to come to check on him.

He was not disappointed.

"You are an Alpha. How is it that you tripped?" Jaci's large, white wolf came to stand over Jungkook, looking down at his black fur with brilliant blue eyes.

"It is not a common occurrence, I assure you," he protested. His paw reached up and poked the brown fur on her chest.

Jaci huffed and cocked her head to one side. The sides of her muzzle pulled backward, and a wolfish laugh bubbled up from her.

"What's so funny?" asked Jungkook, his inner wolf feeling embarrassed.

"You," she said, playfulness showing in her eyes and her swaying tail. "Your ears are flat to the ground, and your eyes are all buggy. You look ridiculous."

Jungkook snarled and quickly rolled onto his stomach, throwing Jaci off her balance. She fell to her side with a heavy "oomph," and he promptly moved to stand over her, looking down at her with teasing, golden eyes. "Now, who looks ridiculous?"

Jaci quickly rolled and bounded to her paws, then circling Jungkook a few times. Jungkook followed her circles with his eyes never leaving hers. He moved closer, and the two brushed their sides together, their tails whipping over each other's backs. He pushed his muzzle against her face and let out a quiet bark. She yipped in reply and dashed to the edge of the woods. Looking over her shoulder, she beckoned him to follow her with a swish of her tail.

Jungkook was having the time of his life, and without hesitation, he raced after her. He let her keep her comfortable lead and let himself just enjoy watching her fur pick up different rays of light that shone through the canopy.

She was a stunning wolf. Her assertiveness had truly begun to blossom over the last few days. She was becoming his Luna more and more every minute. He knew his pack back home would love her and eagerly accept her as Luna. He just hoped that she could let go of any reservations she might have about her ability to help him lead.

"Keep up, slowpoke!" Jaci shouted over her shoulder.

Jungkook's wolf took that as a challenge and sped up to come shoulder to shoulder with her. It felt natural and right to have her by his side. It was as if she was tailor-made for him.

Jaci felt the same way as she watched him from the corner of her eye. His jet black fur was enthralling, and his lean yet muscular build made her appreciate this side of him more.

She was getting more and more used to her wolf form; its strength and speed amazed her to no end. It did take a bit of extra effort to keep up with the Alpha beside her, but she held her own, and it filled Jaci with a certain amount of pride.

The castle reappeared in the distance, and both wolves trotted to a stop at the crest of a grassy hill.

"This place is beautiful," said Jungkook, taking this moment to catch his breath.

"Mm, it is," agreed Jaci. She cast a look at her mate and then looked back at the castle. "But it's not home."

Jungkook turned his head to look at her for a moment and then turned his shaggy head back to the front. "You're right. Are you ready to go home?"

He eyed her from the side as his question fell to her ears. He was surprised to see her tail begin to wag quickly, and her eyes seemed to light up.

"I am," she said firmly. "I think I'm ready to start this adventure," she said, then pausing. Her hesitation filled Jungkook's heart with nervous dread.

"With you, of course," she finally added. Jungkook felt the dead weight in his heart crumble away.

"Then we should make arrangements!"

Jaci laughed and jogged towards the castle. "First things first, though. We need to be human again."

Jungkook's laugh came out like a stuttered growl, and he followed after his mate, excited to see what lay ahead of them.

***

"Look, Zephyr, I'm too tired to have this discussion with you right now." Hoseok stood at the landing of the grand staircase, looking frustrated and tired.

"I need to have this conversation right now, Hoseok. It's something I need to get off my chest." Zephyr looked just as tired and mildly agitated at this point.

The front door opened, and two werewolves walked inside. Sensing the tension in the room, Jungkook slowly moved in front of his mate and watched the two men in silence. Jaci looked around Jungkook and frowned as she tried to think of what could be going on between them.

"You're going to push me too far," said Hoseok through clenched teeth.

"Good. About time someone did," scoffed Zephyr.

"Look, what is your problem with me?" Hoseok's fists were clenched at his side as he took two steps closer to Zephyr.

Zephyr scoffed and stared at Hoseok. "Really? Are you going to claim ignorance? You stole my mate, Hoseok. Plain and simple."

Hoseok pinched the bridge of his nose and sighed. "Why can't you move past this? She didn't love you. She did not feel the same way about you that you did about her. I didn't steal anything. She came to my arms willingly."

Zephyr's arm shot out with speed and accurately slammed into Hoseok's nose, bringing blood immediately.

Jungkook's head lowered, and his hackles raised. A low growl came from his chest, and Jaci nudged him gently as if to remind him to remain calm.

"What was that for?!" shouted Hoseok, gripping his nose with his hand. Blood seeped from between his fingers, and he grimaced at the pain.

"You stole her," ground out Zephyr. "You knew she was with me, yet you continued to flirt and manipulate her into having feelings for you."

"Where is this all coming from? Do you really sit and think every day about how she rejected you?"

Zephyr's arm shot out again, coming in contact with Hoseok's jaw. Hoseok fell back and landed against the stairs.

"Where is this coming from? Years of pent-up rage against you, Hoseok. Not to mention, you are all keeping a secret from me."

Hoseok tried to push himself up onto his feet, but he was still reeling from the painful punch. "I have no secrets, you animal."

"Oh? How come I've heard Ga-Eun repeatedly referred to in the past tense? What has happened to her, Hoseok? You were always a lousy protector, always getting distracted or running off on some whim of a feeling."

Hoseok stood to his feet; his head lowered between his shoulder blades. His eyes were flashing, and his canines had elongated.

"You have no right to speak of anything. You're the one who tried to force a relationship on Ga-Eun. You assumed she would marry you and mate with you because you were some rich Alpha of a pack your daddy had formed."

Hoseok dodged the punch this time, and Zephyr's momentum sent him flying into the stairs behind him.

"You undermined me constantly," snarled Zephyr, pushing himself back onto his feet.

"What's going on?" asked Aydan, who had just walked in with Jimin.

"Why are they fighting?" said Jimin, looking at Jaci and Jungkook with curious eyes.

Both wolves kept their eyes on Hoseok. One wrong move, and Zephyr would find himself up against them.

"I will get the truth out of you," said Zephyr, his breathing becoming ragged. He relaunched himself towards Hoseok but was stopped by the massive bulk of a black wolf.

"Not right now, you won't," snapped Jungkook. His lips were turned up in a perpetual snarl, and his anger was practically palpable.

The air was filled with a static that made the hair on everyone's neck rise. Zephyr was close to losing his last shred of control, and the bystanders were ready to pick sides.

"We can discuss this matter later after we have all had some rest," said Jungkook, still keeping his menacing glare trained on Zephyr.

The Alpha clenched his teeth together and backed up a few steps. "I will not soil my beloved home with more blood today. But mind yourselves. I will have the truth before any of you are allowed to leave this place. Aydan, come."

Aydan frowned at the sharp command from his Master, and cast warning looks to the others as he followed him up to the master chambers.

Once the threat was gone, Jungkook turned to Hoseok and nudged him gently. Hoseok sighed and continued to pinch his nose. "I'm fine—no need to worry about me. Jimin, let's find those beds. Now, I am really exhausted."

Hoseok got to his feet and staggered off, Jimin following for a moment before stopping next to his new Alpha.

"Zephyr is strong, and Hoseok's pride will never let him back down. And when Zephyr finally learns the truth about Ga-Eun — well, we both know how a fight like that will end up."

Jimin bowed his head to his Alpha and jogged to catch up to Hoseok, who had entered the hallway.

Jaci walked up beside Jungkook and pressed her head to the side of his face. She remained quiet, unsure of what to say.

"Everything will be fine," he murmured. However, he was unsure if he was saying it more to reassure Jaci or convince himself.

AN: Apologies for the long wait. 💜

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

522K 28.7K 49
Undociled- uncontrolled or untamed. Jungkook is an Alpha. He is currently training with his father to learn the ways of becoming the next Alpha of th...
1.2M 67.2K 50
As a male omega, the rarest and most desired kind of werewolves, Kim Taehyung has grown up in the shadows, hiding his true identity by taking scent s...
314 13 32
"𝑴𝒚 𝒉𝒆𝒂𝒓𝒕 𝒔𝒕𝒂𝒓𝒕𝒔 𝒕𝒐 𝒑𝒐𝒖𝒏𝒅 𝒕𝒐 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒓𝒉𝒚𝒕𝒉𝒎 𝒐𝒇 𝒚𝒐𝒖𝒓𝒔" . . . . . . Many years ago in a world filled with chaos, ther...
1K 45 18
Jeon Jungkook, a young Alpha, looking for his missing piece. His mate. Will he find her? What if she doesn't want him? Will he ever be able to feel c...