(COMPLETE) Plus One - A Sande...

By ElSandersWrites

No art is mine. Logan is a hardworking businessman with two close coworkers as friends and an excitable famil... More

A Normal Day
Can We Try?
Move In Day
Patton's First Day
F'oggie
The Letter
Two Big Brothers
Little Bookworm
Visit to the Office
Birthday?
The Truth Found Out
Virgil's Favourite Patient
Family Bonds
New Start
Logan's Childhood
'Mommy'
Thanks to an Angel
The Uncles
Patton's Story

Foster Parent Reference

176 5 0
By ElSandersWrites

I had to introduce Janus and Remus as Logan's friends/coworkers XD. Also Janus uses they/them pronouns in this story so if I make a mistake please tell me!

In a few days Logan had to get references to become a foster carer. Virgil already got the required references quite easily from Emile and his husband Remy that he had known since he was in his early twenties – for Logan it was more difficult. He could always ask his brother for a reference, but he also knew Roman could hit a high C in excitement if he got the news he could be an uncle too, even if it wasn't permanent. And he didn't want his eardrums to ring any more than they already did.

So that left Logan to ask his co-workers as he didn't particularly speak to anyone else in his life. While some people would spout homophobic remarks if they knew Logan would be a child's role model there was one person he knew he could ask. Their name was Janus Plato.

"Morning Lo, did the marketing department respond about the advertisement meeting?" Janus said as they sat at their desk surrounded by accounting papers and spreadsheets all over the nearby computer screen. Just like Logan Janus was a workaholic, they also specialised in finance even though Logan explored other departments too.

"I'll get right to it... I have a favour to ask you first." Logan was about to reveal the paperwork for foster care references Janus' booming shout erupted from their lips.

"REMUS! THE PHOTOCOPIER IS NOT FOR... I give up with that dude." Janus' voice quieted as soon as they remembered who they were shouting at – the new graduate Remus Duke who was a mess to work with. He got all the work done quickly but then spent hours messing around if he wasn't constantly supplied with tasks. "Anyway, you were saying?"

After calming his laugh Logan put the referencing paperwork on the desk. "I just need you to write a reference for me." Logan said while Janus was distracted again by a new email. The reason they wore yellow a lot was because they had the attention span of a goldfish.

"Wait you're leaving me?" They pouted and moaned once they answered the email all before actually looking at the piece of paper in front of them. Once they read it their eyes widened more. "You and Virgil are being parents?"

"Guardians." Logan corrected quickly, holding his hands together behind his back as he waited for the paper to be signed and then he can figure out who else to ask. Janus raised an eyebrow quizzically and scoffed before starting to write. "It isn't a permanent placement. I can't do that kind of non-work commitment."

Janus rolled their eyes and scowled playfully again, signing everything quickly before moving onto yet another spreadsheet they had to create. "You'll be a great Dad someday Lo, don't disregard it for your pri-REMUS!"

Just like a dog Remus came bounding over with a smile on his face and proudly holding a piece of paper in front of him. Janus looked displeased with a raised eyebrow and stern eye contact. "Hey Janus, hey Logan." He giggled, keeping the paper close to his chest. Janus looked displeased when they said hello but Logan tried to sound more cheery – he remembered what it was like being a fresh newbie after the hecticness of college and he wanted to be as welcoming as possible. "You want a picture of my pretty face?" The piece of paper was revealed to be a scan of Remus' acne face with a hectic smile after he face-flopped on the photocopier. Even though the picture seemed undesirable Janus took the picture and stashed it beside the recycling bin. Remus looked overjoyed even though the artwork was almost definitely going to be rubbish by the end of his shift.

"Can you go check with the marketing department about the 4:20pm meeting?" Janus commanded their lackey as they handed back the foster reference, but Remus looked more interested in what Logan was handing around.

"Can I sign that thing?" He said excitedly, almost jumping. "What is it?"

"It's a foster parent reference form." Logan always tried speaking softly with Remus. He was a bit chaotic at times, but Logan understood that chaos. The college alumni was becoming an adult and his childhood was becoming a distant memory – when Logan was entering that part of his life he was nervous to the core. When he was in that spot himself the businessman wished he had an older and kind mentor to put up with his weird habits and help him into adult life. Maybe Remus was like his kid in a workplace relationship even though there was only a ten-year age difference...

The second form was snatched out of Logan's hands by Remus and he filled in all the boxes with his usual excited smile. Logan wasn't sure if the social services would accept Remus as a reference but only time would tell with that – and Remus' scrawny handwriting was everywhere on the form. But the form was eventually handed back and Remus ran off the wrong way to the marketing department.

"You better not raise a kid like Remus." Janus laughed with some disappointment still in their tone. "He's hell."

"He's not that bad." Logan smiled softly, watching Remus run the opposite direction so he could actually get to the marketing department. "I should actually get to my own work though."

*****

Virgil had just dismissed his last patient of the day and it was only an hour until Logan returned home. It was his favourite part of the day, the silence wasn't that torturous, and his eyes didn't leave the clock until Logan opened the front door. His only distraction was the amount of paperwork he had to fill in as he'd procrastinated until now.

Instead of Logan opening the door though there was a knock – from the knocker so he didn't have to worry about another lost kid. He opened the door straight away and at the other side of the door was a smiling Emile in his usual fluffy cardigan and holding a giant pastel pink box. "Hi bud! Have you prepared Patton's bedroom yet?" Emile marched in with the box and turned, only tilting his head when Virgil looked confused. "You haven't? Well, good thing I brought all his toys!"

Emile marched further into the house and asked for directions to the spare bedroom. "Was I meant to do anything with the room?"

"Well, you need to put a baby-gate at the top of these stairs – Patton is very clumsy." Emile continued to list off childproofing techniques that the social workers had also suggested the week previous. They were on a list somewhere and delivery of the childproofing materials was happening ready for move in day.

The door to the spare bedroom was eventually opened and Emile got a wide smile. "Oh it's blue! That's Patton's favourite colour!" Blue was Logan's favourite colour too – that was why the entire house was either blue or purple. This particular bedroom had white walls with either baby blue or birch furniture/accessories. Logan was very proud of himself when the couple designed it. "Do you have a plan to get rid of the grown up bed?"

"We have a toddler bed here." Virgil wondered to the corner of the room where the frame and bedding of a toddler bed was stored in the closet. Emile examined the frame in silence and gave the smile of approval. "We won't move the double bed though, is that OK?"

"As long as he doesn't get on it, it should be fine!"

Virgil enjoyed having Emile visit and tell Virgil all about Patton's toys. Emile was an expert at toys and children's shows after all. It seemed like Patton had a lot of animal toys as well as stereotypically 'feminine' toys like dolls and play kitchens (the play kitchen was too big for Emile to carry though). "You'll love him Vergie, trust me, you will. He's so excited to see you."

And in all honesty Virgil was excited to see the little toddler again, as he hadn't since he gave his witness statement. It was Logan he was probably worried about the most. Sure, the pair had agreed becoming Patton's foster parents were a good step but Virgil's anxiety was trying to convince him the worst would happen. Logan would panic about everything and hate living with a child, and he'd hate his life and ask for divorce. Virgil would hate if that were to happen.

The front door opened and a shout was heard downstairs from Virgil's amazing husband. "I'm home My Star, where are you?"

"We're in the spare bedroom Logie!" Emile shouted back, probably spotting Virgil's anxiety as he was setting up the toddler bed beside the double bed. When Virgil got anxious he often went on a silent autopilot so Emile was used to stepping in and speaking for him. The noise of footsteps came up the stairs and soon Logan was stood in the doorway with a soft smile. "Patton would love this blue bedding!"

There was an undeniable proudness in Logan's eyes as he looked around the room. He had already removed and hidden all the glass decorations and expensive objects but now seeing the room covered in toys seemed alien. Alien but interesting – like finding extra-terrestrial life. But he sat next to Virgil on the floor and wrapped his arm around him, kissing his cheek. Virgil just quietly examined the toys he was given. "Well, I hope while he's here we can keep him safe and adequately happy. He doesn't need any extra stress being away from home."

"Who says he isn't finding his home here?" Emile cheered, but both men opposite him only paused and Logan's arm grabbed onto Virgil tighter. "Oh, don't get me wrong. He's not permanent for now – but it's always possible we can't find a family and he has to stay in your care."

"When we come to that we'll come to it. That wasn't in our agreement with you or each other." Logan snapped quietly, staring down at a horse toy in a stable dollhouse. Luckily Virgil was stroking his hand to calm him and that made Logan's heart flutter. Emile moved on quickly and gave the men a few more warnings and advice before leaving. For the rest of the evening and night Virgil and Logan cuddled up to each other, talking through the things they needed to do before Patton arrived when they were happy to, but mostly they were held against each other and kissing.

That night Virgil was being an insomniac (as usual) and facing his husband during the dead of night. He liked doing that a lot when Logan was asleep, he just looked so peaceful and happy when he dreamt. "I love you." Virgil whispered to his fast asleep husband with a smile, giving him a chaste kiss as a reward. "Patton will love us too."

Logan's took a deep breath in his sleep as he brought an arm around Virgil's waist and pulled him even closer. That simple sleepy action reassured Virgil he was never going to be single again. This was the best way his life could have been written.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

502 25 8
It's been nine months, three weeks, and five days, since everyone's habitual lives came to a screeching halt. But hey... who's counting, anyway? All...
2.7K 348 28
This is a story about a boy named Logan, it's also a story about a shoe and a book. Everyone knows the tale of Cinderella, but nobody knows where it...
218K 7.3K 32
Everyone knows Virgil is hiding something. He's acting weird, he barely eats, and he isn't coming out of his room. Oh, but if they only knew. There...
12.9K 779 24
** Cover is fanart by Logansandersart on Instagram ** Logan wakes confused. He has no memory - of anything. He wouldn't have even known his name if i...