Harry Potter and the Mysterio...

By HarryPotter11007

Previously called Harry Potter and Hermione Granger: The Mystery of the Magical World, now - Harry Potter an... More

Disclaimer and Author's Note
Dedication
You Are The Reason
The Last Confrontation
Fate, Destiny, Time and... Love
The Prophecy, 1980
Potters
Godric's Hollow
Thanks! AND NOTE
Augusta Longbottom
Thanks!
New title, description and Plot twist!
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Ollivander's and Wands
Thank You and I need an Opinion!
Hogwarts Express and Hermione Granger
Thank You!
Hogwarts
The Potions Master
Three things
The Midnight Duel
Halloween
Quidditch
The Mirror of Erised
FINALLY!
Really, really sorry!
Nicolas Flamel and a 'Meowing' Mystery
Norwegian Trouble: Norbert - The Norwegian Ridgeback
I'm back!
Gotta Answer some Questions
The Forbidden Forest
Christmas
Through the Trapdoor
The Man with Two Faces
END of PHILOSOPHER'S STONE
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
I'm Kinda Back

Diagon Alley

431 13 15
By HarryPotter11007

A/N - Sorry if I update a bit slow but I'm COVID 19 - Omicron variant positive...

'Mum, Dad, Em, Hade, look I got it! My Hogwarts letter!' Harry came bouncing down from the stairs to the fourth floor. (A/N - Yeah, I decided that Harry will have siblings, because I understand how being alone feels like, I don't have siblings too... but I do have brilliant cousins and I'm the eldest).

'Okay, Harry, dear, I understand the excitement, but...' Lily said, but Harry kept shouting at the top of his voice, 'STOP SHOUTING LIKE A BANSHEE!' Harry quickly shut up. An angry mum was something to fear.

'Read out the letter to us!' said Emily

Turning the envelope over, his hand trembling, Harry saw a purple wax seal bearing a coat of arms; a lion, an eagle, a badger and a snake surrounding a large letter 'H'.

'All right - '

To, 

Mr. Harry Potter

Bedroom 1, floor 6,

Potter Manor, John O' Groats, Caithness, Scotland.

'Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

Headmaster: Albus Dumbledore

(Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Sorc., Chf. Warlock, 

Supreme Mugwump, International Confed. of Wizards)

Dear Mr Potter, We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. 

Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment. Term begins on 1 September. We await your owl by no later than 31 July.' 

Yours sincerely, 

Minerva McGonagall

Deputy Headmistress"

'All right, that does it, we'll go next week, on your birthday and buy your things, AND, YOU ANSWER BACK RIGHT NOW!' Lily said pointing a finger threateningly, she knew that he tended to forget things in excitement 'So what are the requirements?'

'Well -'

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

First-year students will require: 

1. Three sets of plain robes (black)

2. One plain painted hat (black) for day-wear 

3. One pair of protective gloves (dragon hide or similar)

4. One winter cloak (black, with silver fastenings)

Please note that all pupils clothes should carry name tags.

Course books - 

The Standard Book of Spells (Grade 1) by Miranda Goshawk

A History of Magic by Bathilda Bagshot

Magical Theory by Adalbert Waffling

A Beginner's Guide to Transfiguration by Emeric Switch

One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi by Phyllida Spore

Magical Drafts and Potions by Arsenius Jigger

Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them by Newt Scamander

The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection by Quentin Trimble

OTHER EQUIPMENT -

1 wand

1 cauldron (pewter, standard size 2)

1 set glass or crystal phials

1 telescope

1 set brass scales

Students may also bring an owl, or a cat, or a toad.

PARENTS ARE REMINDED THAT FIRST YEARS ARE NOT ALLOWED THEIR OWN BROOMSTICKS.'

'All right, but on your birthday I'll give an owl and a customised Nimbus 2000 to brag about at school'

'But dad, isn't it against the rules, to bring our broomstick to Hogwarts in 1st year...'

'Yeah, BUT the Potters really don't mind the rules sometimes do they?' at a look from Lily he hastily added 'But we'll mind them this time.' He looked slightly sad, so Harry whispered, 'There's always second year to come, is't there Dad?' 'That's my boy!' both Lily and James said.

Lily then received a Cat Patronus message from Minerva McGonagall - 'Lily, for the past few days, I've been taking you with me to Muggleborn witches and wizards, one such girl will be delivered her letter today, so we need you to explain things a bit more, so that the girl and her parents can understand...' 'Sorry Harry' said Lily 'But, I'll have to go' she said giving him a quick kiss on the cheek. 'And you WRITE BACK NOW!' she said. 

'Tipsy!'

A little house elf appeared and bowed, 'How can little Tipsy help Mistress Lily?'

'Tipsy, do you know the red sandals I bought a week ago?'

'Yes, Mistress...' she clicked her fingers and two beautiful red sandals appeared.

'Thank you, Tipsy' 

'My pleasure, Mistress'

'And can you give me my handbag?'

'Yes Mistress' she said, giving it to her

'You going somewhere, Mistress Lily?'

'Yes Tipsy, there's a Muggleborn girl and I have to explain about magic to her and her parents...'

'Okay Mistress, little Tipsy will take care of everything' 

'I know you will Tipsy...' Lily said smiling

Throughout the years, Harry and his brother and sister, learned from their Dad, the skill of Quidditch playing, he, Harry was such a good seeker, that he might have given Viktor Krum, the World's Best Seeker, except his Dad, a run for his money.

James Potter was the Head Auror of the Ministry of Magic. But he hadn't lost his Quidditch craze. In fact, it was a fact that Harry felt pride upon, James Potter was a Professional Seeker too, he was the Seeker and Captain for English National Quidditch Team, but when Voldemort was in power he could rarely play for the Team, if there was an attack, he felt that his duty as Head Auror was more important, and the team understood.

But after that fateful Halloween night, if possible, the Potters were even famous, and James Potter could play easily once more, and not a cup, had they lost, every Quidditch Cup came to England in the hands of the team, and they would enter Wizarding London on broomsticks, diving straight from the clouds, with James Potter raising the cup for every person to see, and the people cheering, with Harry, Emily, Hadrian and Lily, and the families of the other players waiting for them in the VIP section.

***

 At the same time, somewhere in Muggle London, a little brown-haired girl was going getting her Hogwarts letter too. 

'Professor McGonagall, is this the place?' asked Professor Dumbledore.

'Yes, the Grangers live here...'

'This reminds me of two places, the Evans' house and 4, Privet Drive, though it has love like the Evans' and there garden is like Privet Drive's...'

'Oh... Don't speak the name of Privet Drive, I still can't believe you were going to leave him at the Dursley's. I'm still mad. I was his guardian after his parents and the Longbottoms!'

'Now, now... Professor, that was years ago, and currently Harry is living happily with his parents and family in the - uhm... dunno which manor...' he said

'The Potter Manor, John O' Groats in Caithness, Scotland, it's the manor in which they live the most...' Minerva replied

'Ah... yes, you wrote the letter didn't you?'

'Yes, only yesterday evening, he should've got his letter right now'.

With a crack, Lily appeared. 'Ah, Lily, good to see you...' said McGonagall

When Lily looked at the house, a smile crept to her lips. 'This reminds me of my parents' house, my house as a child...' she said

Minerva rang the doorbell. A distant muffled sound of, 'Coming' came from inside. A kind looking woman appeared at the door. 'Good Evening' she said 'How may I help you?'

'Good Evening, I'm Professor McGonagall, this is Professor Dumbledore and this is Mrs. Lily Potter... Can we sit?'

'Sure'

She led them into the sitting room.

'Can you please call your daughter?'

'Okay, wait...'

'Hermione!'

A little girl in a frock appeared at the staircase. She had wild, messy, untamed brown hair, and was reading a book.

'Yes mum?'

'We have guests... They want to meet you.'

The girl, Hermione, put her book down on the table.

'So, can I ask why you are here, because we don't really know you?'

'Yes, yes... You are a witch Miss Granger...' said Professor McGonagall

'I'm a what?'

'A witch...'

'What do you mean? Witches and Wizards are only in fairy tails...'

'No, no... They are there in real life... I'd want Lily to explain'

'You know, Hermione, 20 years ago, I was in the same situation, first of all, what you need to know, and believe is that, Magic is real. In 1689, upon the signature of the International Statute of Secrecy, wizards went into hiding for good. It was natural, perhaps, that they formed their own small communities within a community. Many small villages and hamlets attracted several magical families, who banded together for mutual support and protection.' Lily said

'Quite well explained, Lily! No wonder you are the Brightest Witch of your age...' said Professor McGonagall.

'So... What does our Hermione have anything to do with it?'

'Well, you see... There are three types of witches and wizards based on their lineage and ancestry. Pure Bloods, Half Bloods and Muggleborns.

The Pure Bloods are the ones who've got only witches and wizards in their ancestry for generations. Half - Bloods, whose ancestry is mixed. And Muggleborns are those witches and wizards who have muggles, or non-magical people as parents.

 A quite helpful example, is my case.'

'What do you mean?' said Hermione

'Well, you see... My husband is a very respected Pure Blood. James Potter. He is from the Most Ancient and Noble House of Potter... I, am a Muggleborn, my parents and sister were Muggles, just like your parents... Now, my son, Harry Potter, is a Half Blood, because... James is a Pure Blood and I am a Muggleborn. So my son is not a Pure Blood, but he is a Half Blood, because he has got mixed lineage.'

'Hey!' Hermione said, suddenly pointing at the window...

'What's that?' she said going to that window.

Lily took a better view. Something was flying towards them and coming closer...

Closer...

Closer

Closer

It was really close now.

'Open the window, quickly!' she said hurriedly

Hermione pulled the window open, just as a cute owl flew straight into the room, just past Hermione face, then looked at Lily, then at McGonagall, he did it a few times, then flew to Hermione, dropped the letter clutched in his beak in her hand and rested on her shoulder...

Just then a second, very-official looking owl whizzed through the window and dropped a second letter on the table. He ruffled his feathers importantly and then took off.

Hermione looked at the owl on her shoulder, 'Is that an owl?', she said pointing at her shoulder.

'Yes, a real owl...' Lily said smiling 'Wait! But.. that's our owl...'

'What do you mean?' said Hermione

'We use him to send letters...' said Lily 'What's the letter?'

'It has a seal... The seal says, the Most Ancient and Noble House of Potter...' Hermione replied

'Should I break it?' she continued

'Yes'

'All right... 

It says - 

To, Professor McGonagall,

Address: Uhm... Wherever you are, you are at so many places,' (Hermione laughed) 'probably with mum.

I'm definitely coming. There isn't a question.

- Harry Potter'

'He has also signed it!'

The Granger parents had a smile slowly creeping to their lips, they hadn't seen their daughter smile or laugh for months. She had nothing to smile at. Everyone bullied her at school. 'Wait! Harry's written this! I'll talk to him, this is how you write a formal letter?! Oh my god!' Lily said.

'Relax Lily, he's just a boy!' Professor McGonagall smiled

'In fact, no one has written to me that way since...' a tear came to her eye 'To write like a small boy, it was so loving of him...'

Lily was surprised, this was the Professor McGonagall, the strict but caring and loving teacher.

'All right! As the Marauders say, Mischief Managed. But this time, forgiven.'

'Hey!' Hermione cried, 'The letter resealed itself!' she continued

'Yes, that was a magical seal, they reseal when the letter is read.'

'So... Magic is real?'

'Yes, and you are one with the power...'

'It's time you read your letter'

'All right...'

" 'Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

Headmaster: Albus Dumbledore

(Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Sorc., Chf. Warlock,

Supreme Mugwump, International Confed. of Wizards)

Dear Ms Granger, We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment. Term begins on 1 September. We await your owl by no later than 31 July.'

Yours sincerely,

Minerva McGonagall

Deputy Headmistress " '

She unfolded the other parchment...

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

First-year students will require:

1. Three sets of plain robes (black)

2. One plain painted hat (black) for day-wear

3. One pair of protective gloves (dragon hide or similar)

4. One winter cloak (black, with silver fastenings)

Please note that all pupils clothes should carry name tags.

Course books -

The Standard Book of Spells (Grade 1) by Miranda Goshawk

A History of Magic by Bathilda Bagshot

Magical Theory by Adalbert Waffling

A Beginner's Guide to Transfiguration by Emeric Switch

One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi by Phyllida Spore

Magical Drafts and Potions by Arsenius Jigger

Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them by Newt Scamander

The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection by Quentin Trimble

OTHER EQUIPMENT -

1 wand

1 cauldron (pewter, standard size 2)

1 set glass or crystal phials

1 telescope

1 set brass scales

Students may also bring an owl, or a cat, or a toad.

PARENTS ARE REMINDED THAT FIRST YEARS ARE NOT ALLOWED THEIR OWN BROOMSTICKS.'

'Can you show me more magic?'

'Of course!'

Professor McGonagall transformed into a cat.

Professor Dumbledore transfigured his hat into a rabbit.

Lily produced her patronus, which bowed to Hermione's as she shrieked with delight...

At last, Lily transformed a dead flower from the vase into a live, beautiful, red rose...

'Take it' she said 'It'll never die, you can wear it...'

'Thank you, Mrs. Potter!' 

'Your welcome, dear, and call me Lily.'

'Thank you Lily, by the way that's a beautiful name...'

'Thanks Hermione, that's a beautiful name too... And don't forget to catch the Hogwarts Express from Platform Nine and Three Quarters... You go through the barrier between Platforms 9 and 10, and you reach Platform Nine and Three Quarters...'

'Okay, Lily'

'You know, Hermione, you remind me too much of myself when I was younger...'

'Thanks Lily... Wait, Professor McGonagall, you left this letter!' she said holding Harry's letter ahead of her.

'Well, you can keep it... As this letter, is written by Harry Potter, the most famous wizard of his age, it will serve as a souvenir of when you first came to know of magic, and also as an autograph... Everyone begs for his autograph, and you get one full of magic, coincidentally...'

'Thank you, Professor, but won't you need it?'

'Well, now that I've gotten his word that he's coming, I don't think that I'll need it but still...'

She waved her wand and a duplicate copy of the letter, flew into her hand... 'For two reasons... Official record... and after so much time a little boy has written to me like a little, loving boy... not like a 147 year old man.' She said looking at Dumbledore 'You can keep the original...'

'Thank you, Professor' she hugged Professor McGonagall, who was shocked... then she hugged Lily... and shook hands with Professor Dumbledore. 'Thank you so much, Lily, for everything, telling me about magic!'

Then Hermione hugged Harry's letter close to her chest.

A true souvenir of magic, of love...

***

On 31st July, Harry had worn his new light blue dress robes made of the finest fabric, and matching wizard's hat. He was stepping into the floo but then, 'Wait! Wait!Wait!' and skidded to a halt - 

'Tipsy!' he called

A little house-elf appeared and bowed to him, she was the Head House-Elf and mostly only served Harry because they were so many House Elves in the Manor, Harry couldn't remember everyone's names. So he just called Tipsy every time he needed a House Elf. 'How can little Tipsy help Master Harry?'

'Tipsy, do you know where my new shoes are? These are kind of old' he said, pointing to the shoes he was wearing.

'Yes, Master Harry, here they are...' she clicked her fingers and his shoes appeared.

'Thank you, Tipsy!' he said

'Oh and Tipsy!' Lily said

'Yes, Mistress Lily' 

'We are going to Diagon Alley to buy Harry's things for school. So, take care of every thing and tell the other House Elves too.'

'Yes, Mistress! Everything will be in order!' she bowed.

Harry counted 5 galleons and gave them to Tipsy...'Gift' he said smiling.

'Thank You, Master Harry!'

'Old shoes, Harry, you call these old?' said Emily laughing

'You bought these 2 months ago...' said Hadrian

'Yeah, but I bought these yesterday, so they're newer' Harry said.

The Potters flooed to the Leaky Cauldron, as everyone told him, it was a famous place. But for a famous place, it was very dark and shabby. A few old women were sitting in a corner, drinking tiny glasses of sherry. One of them was smoking a long pipe. A little man in a top hat was talking to the old bartender, who was quite bald and looked like a toothless walnut. The low buzz of chatter stopped when they walked in. "Good Lord," said the bartender, peering at Harry, "Is this -- can this be -- ?"

The Leaky Cauldron had suddenly gone completely still and silent.

"Bless my soul," whispered the old bartender, "Harry Potter... what an honor."

He hurried out from behind the bar, rushed toward Harry and seized his hand, tears in his eyes.

"Welcome back, Mr. Potter, welcome back."

Harry didn't know what to say. Everyone was looking at him. The old woman with the pipe was puffing on it without realizing it had gone out. James was beaming.

Then there was a great scraping of chairs and the next moment, Harry found himself shaking hands with everyone in the Leaky Cauldron.

"Doris Crockford, Mr. Potter, can't believe I'm meeting you at last."

"So proud, Mr. Potter, I'm just so proud."

"Always wanted to shake your hand -- I'm all of a flutter."

"Delighted, Mr. Potter, just can't tell you, Diggle's the name, Dedalus Diggle."

"I've seen you before!" said Harry, as Dedalus Diggle's top hat fell off in his excitement. "You bowed to me once in a shop."

"He remembers!" cried Dedalus Diggle, looking around at everyone. "Did you hear that? He remembers me!" Harry shook hands again and again -- Doris Crockford kept coming back for more.

A pale young man made his way forward, very nervously. One of his eyes was twitching.

"Professor Quirrell!" said Hagrid. "Harry, Professor Quirrell will be one of your teachers at Hogwarts."

"P-P-Potter," stammered Professor Quirrell, grasping Harry's hand, "c-can't t-tell you how p-pleased I am to meet you."

"What sort of magic do you teach, Professor Quirrell?"

"D-Defense Against the D-D-Dark Arts," muttered Professor Quirrell, as though he'd rather not think about it. "N-not that you n-need it, eh, P-P-Potter?" He laughed nervously. "You'll be g-getting all your equipment, I suppose? I've g-got to p-pick up a new b-book on vampires, m-myself." He looked terrified at the very thought.

But the others wouldn't let Professor Quirrell keep Harry to himself. Everyone was shaking hands with each Potter. It took almost ten minutes to get away from them all. At last, James managed to make himself heard over the babble. 
'Thank you everyone but we must get on with our shopping, it's Harry's birthday.'

Doris Crockford shook Harry's hand one last time, and Hagrid led them through the bar and out into a small, walled courtyard, where there was nothing but a trash can and a few weeds. 

'Wonder why Professor Quirell was stuttering' Harry said. 'He's usually trembling' James told him. 'Is he always that nervous?' asked Harry. 'Oh, yeah. Poor bloke. Brilliant mind. He was fine while he was studying out of books but then he took a year off to get some firsthand experience... They say he met vampires in the Black Forest, and there was a nasty bit of trouble with a hag -- He's never been the same since. Scared of the students, scared of his own subject... Now...' James said, he took out his wand from his robes. He started counting bricks in the wall above the trash can. 'Three up... two across... ' he muttered. 'Right, stand back, everyone.'

He tapped the wall three times with the point of his wand.

The brick he had touched quivered -- it wriggled -- in the middle, a small hole appeared -- it grew wider and wider -- a second later they were facing an archway large enough even for Hagrid, he had known Hagrid, he had come to his birthday often, an archway onto a cobbled street that twisted and turned out of sight to the children's amazement, they had never entered Diagon Alley this way. Anytime they needed something, they just flooed directly to the shop, got it and left, Lily had kept everything under control except Harry and James' excitement. Diagon Alley was brilliant, Harry was seeing this extent of it for the first time. 

'Welcome, to Diagon Alley!' James said.

He grinned at Harry's amazement. They stepped through the archway. Harry looked quickly over his shoulder and saw the archway shrink instantly back into solid wall.

The sun shone brightly on a stack of cauldrons outside the nearest shop. Cauldrons -- All Sizes -- Copper, Brass, Pewter, Silver -- Self-Stirring -- Collapsible, said a sign hanging over them.

Harry wished he had about eight more eyes. He turned his head in every direction as they walked up the street, trying to look at everything at once: the shops, the things outside them, the people doing their shopping. A plump woman outside an Apothecary was shaking her head as they passed, saying, "Dragon liver, seventeen Sickles an ounce, they're mad..."

A low, soft hooting came from a dark shop with a sign saying Eeylops Owl Emporium -- Tawny, Screech, Barn, Brown, and Snowy. Several boys of about Harry's age had their noses pressed against a window with broomsticks in it. "Look," Harry heard one of them say, "the new Nimbus Two Thousand -- fastest ever -- " There were shops selling robes, shops selling telescopes and strange silver instruments Harry had never seen before, windows stacked with barrels of bat spleens and eels' eyes, tottering piles of spell books, quills, and rolls of parchment, potion bottles, globes of the moon...

"Gringotts," said James.

They had reached a snowy white building that towered over the other little shops. Harry had never seen Gringotts in real life. Standing beside its burnished bronze doors, wearing a uniform of scarlet and gold, was --

"Yeah, that's a goblin," said Lily quietly as they walked up the white stone steps toward him. The goblin was about a head shorter than Harry. He had a swarthy, clever face, a pointed beard and, Harry noticed, very long fingers and feet. He bowed as they walked inside. Now they were facing a second pair of doors, silver this time, with words engraved upon them:

Enter, stranger, but take heed

Of what awaits the sin of greed,

For those who take, but do not earn,

Must pay most dearly in their turn.

So if you seek beneath our floors

A treasure that was never yours,

Thief, you have been warned, beware

Of finding more than treasure there.

'Remember, I told you once, you'd be mad to rob Gringotts' said James.

A pair of goblins bowed them through the silver doors and they were in a vast marble hall. About a hundred more goblins were sitting on high stools behind a long counter, scribbling in large ledgers, weighing coins in brass scales, examining precious stones through eyeglasses. There were too many doors to count leading off the hall, and yet more goblins were showing people in and out of these. 'You all wait, Harry and I will go and get the money' James told them. He and Harry made for the counter.

'Morning,' said James to a free goblin. 'We've come to take some money out of the Potter vault...'

'You have the key, Lord Potter sir?'

Harry watched the goblin on their right weighing a pile of rubies as big as glowing coals.

'Yeah' said James, holding up a tiny golden key, encrusted with five gemstones.

The goblin looked at it closely.

While the Goblin was checking the key, Harry saw Hagrid striding to the counter next to them 'Hullo, James, Harry!' he said

'Hi Hagrid, What are you doing here?'

'Well' he dropped his voice to a whisper 'You know James, it's about You-Know-What in Vault... seven hundred and thirteen' You-Know-What? This didn't make sense to Harry, but it did seem to make sense to his Dad. Because he raised his eyebrows and nodded.

"That seems to be in order" said the Goblin, handing back the key.

'An' I've got a letter here from Professor Dumbledore,' said Hagrid importantly, throwing out his chest. 'It's about the You-Know-What in vault seven hundred and thirteen. Got it here somewhere...'

He started emptying his pockets onto the counter, scattering a handful of mouldy dog biscuits over the goblin's book of numbers. The goblin wrinkled his nose. 

'Got it!' Hagrid said producing an official-looking letter, with a red seal.

The goblin broke the seal and read the letter carefully.

'Very well' he said, handing it back to Hagrid, the letter magically sealed itself again. 'I will have someone take you down to both vaults. Lord Potter, sorry, but you would have to go down to the vault too. It will only be legal to do so... You know why. Griphook!'

Griphook was yet another goblin. Once Hagrid had crammed all the dog biscuits back inside his pockets, and James had stowed the key into his robe safely, he, Harry and Hagrid followed Griphook toward one of the doors leading off the hall.

"What's the You-Know-What in vault seven hundred and thirteen?" Harry asked the two of them.

"Can't tell yeh that," said Hagrid mysteriously. "Very secret. Hogwarts business. Dumbledore's trusted me. More'n my job's worth ter tell yeh that."

Griphook held the door open for them. Harry, who had expected more marble, was surprised. They were in a narrow stone passageway lit with flaming torches. It sloped steeply downward and there were little railway tracks on the floor. Griphook whistled and a small cart came hurtling up the tracks toward them. They climbed in -- Hagrid with some difficulty -- and were off.

At first they just hurtled through a maze of twisting passages. Harry tried to remember, left, right, right, left, middle fork, right, left, but it was impossible. The rattling cart seemed to know its own way, because Griphook wasn't steering.

Harry's eyes stung as the cold air rushed past them, but he kept them wide open. Once, he thought he saw a burst of fire at the end of a passage and twisted around to see if it was a dragon, but too late -- they plunged even deeper, passing an underground lake where huge stalactites and stalagmites grew from the ceiling and floor.

"I never know," Harry called to Hagrid over the noise of the cart, "what's the difference between a stalagmite and a stalactite?"

"Stalagmite's got an 'm' in it," said Hagrid. "An' don' ask me questions just now, I think I'm gonna be sick."

He did look very green, and when the cart stopped at last beside a small door in the passage wall, Hagrid got out and had to lean against the wall to stop his knees from trembling. Harry too was feeling a bit dizzy, but we And what Harry saw almost made him pass out - 

Dragons.

Dragons the size of Quidditch Pitches.

A Common Welsh Green.

An Antipodean Opaleye

A Norwegian Ridgeback

And...

The most dangerous - 

A Hungarian Horntail

As soon as the dragons saw them, they lunged, but then... a strange rattling started coming. The goblin, Griphook, pulled out a number of small metal instruments from a bag, that when shaken made a loud ringing noise like miniature hammers on anvils. Slowly, the dragons backed away.

'They have been taught to expect pain when they hear the Clankers...' Griphook said

'Why are dragons here?' Harry asked

'To guard our vault...' James replied

'Wouldn't one be enough...'

'That's up to the goblins, they thought that it is necessary, for us to have more dragons, so they deployed more, we trust the goblins with our money and assets.' 

Griphook almost smiled.

'Aren' these dragons beautiful?' said Hagrid

What? Dragons? Beautiful? 'These thoughts crossed Harry's mind. 'Yeah' Harry said weekly.

'Crikey, I'd like a dragon' said Hagrid

'You'd like a dragon?' Harry blurted out

'Yeah. Seriously misunderstood creatures Dragons are...'

Harry resigned.

Griphook turned the key. And a series of clicks sounded. 'Stand back' he said importantly. Then he stroked the door at a particular place with his finger and more clicks sounded. 'If anyone but a Gringotts goblin tried that, they'd be sucked through the door and trapped in there,' said Griphook. 'How often do you check to see if anyone's inside?' Harry asked. 'About once every ten years,' said Griphook with a rather nasty grin. The door opened. A lot of green smoke came billowing out, and as it cleared, Harry gasped. Inside were Mountains of gold coins. Columns of silver. Heaps of little bronze Knuts.

James piled quite an amount of money into a tiny bag, Harry didn't know how the money would fit, but it all went inside without spilling a knut. 

'Your mum's idea. Undetectable extension charm. Brilliant she is. Brightest witch of her age, the teachers called her.' said James, grinning at Harry's bewildered expression.

He turned to Griphook. "Vault seven hundred and thirteen now, please, and can we go more slowly?"

"One speed only," said Griphook.

They were going even deeper now and gathering speed. The air became colder and colder as they hurtled round tight corners. They went rattling over an underground ravine, and Harry leaned over the side to try to see what was down at the dark bottom, but Hagrid groaned and pulled him back by the scruff of his neck.

Vault seven hundred and thirteen had no keyhole.

"Stand back," said Griphook importantly. He stroked the door gently with one of his long fingers and instead of opening like the previous one, it simply melted away.

Something really extraordinary had to be inside this top security vault, Harry was sure, and he leaned forward eagerly, expecting to see fabulous jewels at the very least -- but at first he thought it was empty. Then he noticed a grubby little package wrapped up in brown paper lying on the floor. James went and picked up the package. Took a look inside it, nodded importantly and sternly. He gave it to Hagrid who tucked it deep inside his coat and James said - 'As soon as we get out of here, you go straight to Dumbledore with this package' Hagrid nodded and puffed his chest out importantly. Harry longed to know what it was, but knew better than to ask.

"Come on, back in this infernal cart, and don't talk to me on the way back, it's best if I keep me mouth shut," said Hagrid.

One wild cart ride later they stood blinking in the sunlight outside Gringotts with the remaining Potters. Harry didn't know where to run first now that he had a bag full of money. 'James, I feel like I could do with a drink before I can apparate...' Hagrid said.

James bit his lip.

'All right, be careful about... You Know What.'

Hagrid nodded.

'Mum, can you tell me what is this You Know What?' Harry asked Lily

'Dear, I can, but I won't. You're too young to know...' she said in the same important tone.

'So, let's get you your uniform.' she said

When they arrived at Madam Malkin's Robes for All Occasions, the shopkeeper, Madam Malkin, was wide-eyed and slowly smiled, 'Madam Malkin, no need to be that wide-eyed, you'll see us quite much these years, Harry's starting his first-year at Hogwarts!' said Lily.

'Oh! Thank you Lady Potter. So you are starting Hogwarts, Mr Potter?', Harry nodded, 'Oh then I've got best of robes for you. But... Lord Potter, it will be quite expensive...' she said

'Oh, no problem of expense! The things should be the best and most expensive, that's what matters' said James

'We have just the thing for you, just this morning, we unveiled a new section in our shop, it's called the Diamond section, in it you'll find the best and most expensive of robes stowed. But each thing will a bit more than thrice its non-diamond version price. Like the normal Hogwarts robes will cost 3 pounds, but the Premium Hogwarts Robes will cost about 10 pounds.'

'Oh, it's all right' said James

'Oh, so follow me...' everyone followed.

'This is the Diamond section, we'll measure you young man, but this'll take time.'

'How much?'

'About 15 minutes'

'Oh so, Dad, Mum, Em, Hade, you can roam around Diagon Alley for a while...'

'All right...' and they left

'Here, young man...'

She led him to the back of the shop. 'Another young man is being fitted'.  

The Diamond section was looking like a whole new place, it was brilliantly lit by a sphere of light near the ceiling and was made of marble. He recognised the sphere of light - 'Lumos Maxima, isn't it?' he enquired

'Ah, yes... Smart boy, aren't you?' she said

He grinned.

A boy with a pale, pointed face was standing on a footstool while a second witch pinned up his long black robes. Madam Malkin stood Harry on a stool next to him slipped a long robe over his head, and began to pin it to the right length.

'Hello,' said the boy, 'Hogwarts, too?'

'Yes,' said Harry.

'My father's next door buying my books and mother's up the street looking at wands,' said the boy. He had a bored, drawling voice. 'Then I'm going to drag them off to took at racing brooms. I don't see why first years can't have their own. I think I'll bully father into getting me one and I'll smuggle it in somehow.'

Must be a Malfoy, Harry thought.

'Have you got your own broom?' the boy went on.

'Yeah, but I'm not going to bring that to Hogwarts' said Harry.

'Play Quidditch at all?'

'Yeah, father's a brilliant Seeker, he taught me how to play. He says a year or two, and I might give Viktor Krum a run for his money' Harry said, grinning.

'Oh... Brilliant... I do -- Father says it's a crime if I'm not picked to play for my house, and I must say, I agree. Know what house you'll be in yet?'

'Well, not, but I think I'll be in Gryffindor' said Harry.

"Gryffindor?' he sneered 'Well, no one really knows until they get there, do they, but I know I'll be in Slytherin, all our family have been, it's the best, better than Gryffindor or Ravenclaw-- imagine being in Hufflepuff, I think I'd leave, wouldn't you?"

'Not really, Hufflepuffs aren't that bad...' said Harry

"I say, look at that man!" said the boy suddenly, nodding toward the front window. Hagrid was standing there, grinning at Harry and pointing at two large ice creams to show he couldn't come in.

'That's Hagrid,' said Harry, 'He works at Hogwarts.'

'Oh,' said the boy, 'I've heard of him. He's a sort of servant, isn't he?'

'He's the gamekeeper,' said Harry. He was liking the boy less and less every second.

'Yes, exactly. I heard he's a sort of savage -- lives in a hut on the school grounds and every now and then he gets drunk, tries to do magic, and ends up setting fire to his bed.'

'I think he's brilliant,' said Harry coldly.

'Do you?' said the boy, with a slight sneer. 'Why is he with you? Where are your parents?'

'He's a friend of my family. We just met today. My parents and my brother and sister are just outside till I'm being fitted.

'Oh...' said the other, 'But they are our kind, aren't they?'

'They are a witch and wizard, if that's what you mean'

'I really don't think they should let the other sort in, do you? They're just not the same, they've never been brought up to know our ways. Some of them have never even heard of Hogwarts until they get the letter, imagine. I think they should keep it in the old wizarding families. What's your surname, anyway?'

'I'd better not tell...' Harry said

'Why? Are you the son of two mud-'

But before he could complete, Madam Malkin said, 'That's you done, my dear,' and Harry, not sorry for an excuse to stop talking to the boy, hopped down from the footstool.

'Well, I'll see you at Hogwarts, I suppose,' said the drawling boy.

The rest of the Potters were waiting outside 'I think I met a Malfoy in there' said Harry.

As they went on the way to Flourish and Blotts, which Lily insisted to be the first now, because she needed new books for research (She worked in the Department of Mysteries) Harry explained everything about his and Malfoy's first interaction.

'So, Draco Malfoy's going to school with you. I suspect it'll be a lot like Me and Sni- I mean Severus. You two are cousins. Because Doria Black was married into the Potter line.'

They bought Harry's school books in Flourish and Blotts where the shelves were stacked to the ceiling with books as large as paving stones bound in leather; books the size of postage stamps in covers of silk; books full of peculiar symbols and a few books with nothing in them at all. Even Ron, who never really wanted to read anything, would have been wild to get his hands on some of these. Lily almost had to drag Harry away from Curses and Countercurses (Bewitch Your Friends and Befuddle Your Enemies with the Latest Revenges: Hair Loss, Jelly-Legs, Tongue-Tying and Much, Much More) by Professor Vindictus Viridian.

'I was trying to find out how to curse Draco.'

'You are not! You don't have to pick up fights with him. Like father, like son... Oh, the Potter rage!'

'And the Potter Charm too, Mum' he said grinning.

'That's my charming son!'said James and Lily could not help but smile.

'Don't worry, I'll teach you all of them including 5th year...' James said, 'You'd say - O.W.L. Practice, Mum.'

Harry grinned.

They got a nice set of gold goblin-made scales for weighing potion ingredients, and a collapsible goblin-made, silver telescope encrusted with rubies on the front end and having countless features. Then they visited the Apothecary, which was fascinating enough to make up for its horrible smell, a mixture of bad eggs and rotted cabbages. Barrels of slimy stuff stood on the floor; jars of herbs, dried roots, and bright powders lined the walls; bundles of feathers, strings of fangs, and snarled claws hung from the ceiling. While Hagrid asked the man behind the counter for a supply of some basic potion ingredients for Harry, Harry himself examined silver unicorn horns at twenty-one Galleons each and minuscule, glittery-black beetle eyes (five Knuts a scoop).

'Now, we've got to get you a wand and your presents...' said James

'So, this is the place, you'll pick your owl yourself, Eyelops Owl Emporium...'

After searching for a while, Harry came across a pretty Snowy Owl that caught his eye. He reached out to touch it, just then a hand brushed his...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

28.7K 969 37
Sixth in the LOVED Series They all return to Hogwarts to re-live one more year of school. But the golden five has expanded! The two rival houses have...
37.7K 727 44
What if there was more to the Prophecy of Harry Potter? Dumbledore has more than just memories to share with Harry this year. Love was the one thing...
2.5K 28 13
We now arrive to the sixth year of the events of the Half Blood Prince diving it in with the version of Harry and Hermione's universe where I will be...
71 0 22
From the aftermath of a legendary wizarding war , from the shadows of a famous magical school.Left to rot and ruin .Births a new , darker , more powe...