Cinnamon & Rubies // The Outs...

By akila47

Darry Curtis had noticed her all this time. Caroline Montgomery had heard the stories about the Curtis boys... More

intro
one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty-one
twenty-two
twenty-three
twenty-four
twenty-five
twenty-six
twenty-seven
twenty-eight
twenty-nine
thirty
thirty-one
thirty-two
thirty-three

eleven

3.5K 69 23
By akila47

"Don't you two have your own damn homes," Darry grumbled when he saw Two-Bit and Steve sprawled out on his couch. Soda was banging around the kitchen, presumably making multi-colored foods, and Ponyboy was probably doing homework in his room.

"Aw, Dare, you'd be lost without us," Steve cooed and Darry leaned over to ruffle his hair, evading the younger man's flailing arms easily.

"Steve, stop being such an ass," Soda called. "Dinner'll be ready in a few minutes."

Darry made his way down the hall and stepped into his parent's old room, swallowing past the lump that grew in his throat. It had been months, but it still didn't feel like his room. It wasn't his room. It would always be theirs. Shoving the thoughts to the side, he stripped off his sweat soaked work clothes, throwing them into the hamper set up in the corner of the room, and pulled on a clean shirt and jeans.

He never liked to stay in the room too long and started to walk down the hall, stopping once he saw light streaming from under Ponyboy's shut door. Knocking softly, he waited until he heard Pony call out a, "come in" before he opened it.

"Homework done?" Darry asked, noting the book clutched in his little brother's hands. He couldn't help but ask. Things had gotten better after the whole incident with Johnny and Dally, but he still felt like he was hundreds of miles away from Ponyboy.

"Yeah. How was work?" Ponyboy scooted over so Darry had room to sit on the end of his bed. The oldest Curtis obliged, the bed frame creaking under the extra weight on his shoulders. Something else he should look into was updated furniture.

"Fine." The smallest flash of a smile crossed Darry's face as he thought of the molten eyed Montgomery. "Caroline's gotta new roof over 'er head so that's real nice. Whatcha readin'?"

"Catcher in the Rye," Pony answered simply.

"Ain't that book a little old for ya?"

"Nah, Caroline said it's good to read. She's right, you learn a lot from the story."

"Well, if Caroline says it's good, it must be. So, Pone, you gonna tell me why you missed school?"

Ponyboy sighed and set his book off the the side. "She tell you?"

"She tried to cover for ya. Don't let her know this, but Caroline's a damn awful liar."

Ponyboy let out a sharp laugh and nodded, a tight smile appearing across his face. "Some kids jus' been sayin' stuff at school 'bout Johnny and Dally. I can't fight 'em and I can't stand hearin' 'em shit on them either."

"Pony, you could have told me this was goin' on. I coulda call the school or somethin'."

"That'd jus' make it worse," Pony protested, drawing in on himself.

"Little buddy, I don't know how to help," Darry started, but remembered Caroline's words to him. "But I do wanna listen when you got problems, ya dig? You can talk to me. You're my kid brother, alright? I wanna make sure you're doing fine."

"Aw Dare, I think I just teared up a little," Soda's voice drawled from the doorframe and it took everything inside Darry's soul not to roll his eyes.

"Get your ass over here," Ponyboy joked and Sodapop came flying across the room, tackling Darry onto the bed. The two began to wrestle with Ponyboy joining in until Steve shouted from the kitchen that if they didn't hurry, he'd be eating all the food.

All was right in the Curtis house.

The Montgomery house was quite different that night.

"I don't know what you're yammerin' about, but I ain't listening," Caroline hollered. "You've been on me since you walked in the front door. Don't you ever let up?"

"Not when you're acting like an naive, immature brat, Caroline Marie!" Helen shrieked.

"How on God's green earth am I being a brat when all I wanna do is go to the school and put an end to this thing?! Someone's beatin' the livin' shit outta Louise and I ain't gonna jus' sit back and let it happen!"

"You know it ain't that simple. You start a ruckus and we gonna have to leave 'gain."

"So, you're sayin' that I'm just supposed to let her be a punching bag," Caroline snarled, turning back to the sink so she could continue cleaning the dishes.

"Don't you be puttin' words in my mouth! I never said that! You just ain't gonna do anything and you let me handle it. I'm the mother 'round here after all."

"You sure 'bout that?" the cinnamon haired girl muttered over the splashing water.

"What was that?" Helen's voice grew cold and Caroline shut her eyes before sighing and craning her neck over her shoulder. "I asked if you were sure about that because you ain't my mother no more. I get it, you gotta work, but I work too. I also cook, clean, and take care of Teddy and Louise while you sit your ass on the chair."

"Don't you dare say that when I have done so much for you and-"

"I appreciate it, I really do." Caroline cut her off. "But I feel like the mother now."

"Don't even know how you been takin' care of the kids when you been whoring around with that Curtis boy. I told you they're bad news, with their little gang and those hoods that died, good riddance. Got some trash off the street after all."

The sound of shattering glass filled the room and Caroline whipped around, her eyes ablaze and her jaw clenched. She began to speak, her voice low and deadly calm. "I may not have really known Johnny Cade or Dallas Winston, but you don't disrespect the dead. You come after me all you want, I'll take it. But you do not go after Darry or his brothers or his friends. You do NOT go after Teddy or Louise."

Caroline began to walk slowly towards her mother and Helen inched back until her back slammed against the wall. Caroline grit her teeth and practically snarled at her mother, "You forget that I was there too. I had bruises too. I'm trying to save Louise from a lifetime of memories from Hell, you hear? So, I'm gonna do what I damn well please and if you try to stop me, so help me God that me causin' a damn ruckus at the school will be the last of your worries."

She then stormed out of the room and upstairs, stopping once she got to the top. Inhaling deeply, Caroline shut her eyes and flinched at the sound of the back door slamming shut. Her hands began to shake and she took a few steps forward before kneeling down. Small arms wrapped around her and she clutched onto her two siblings in a desperate attempt to find comfort.

Sleep eluded her that night. Her mind was filled with screams, doors slamming, and the stench of alcohol lingering in the air.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

368K 3.3K 156
just a couple of imagines about a couple of greasers #1 on curtisbrothers D I S C O N T I N U E D
200K 2.6K 46
Dallas Winston Fanfiction Content warning: contains smut, 18+ content. Sorry in advance.... Based off of The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
33.3K 360 20
A twist on The Outsiders. A popular story by S.E Hinton. Willow Curtis is the youngest of the Curtis family. She has grown up with three older broth...
385K 9.4K 94
the life and times of the artistically talented & whimsical virginia curtis. / written by gena dallas winston x fem!oc completed. ( the o...