Heart and Home~ Edmund Pevens...

By the_metanoia

Fauns dancing around fires. Griffins soaring high. Unicorns galloping across wide fields and centaurs battlin... More

Chapter 2: Hide and Seek
Chapter 3: Secrets of a wardrobe
Chapter 4: Siblings
Chapter 5: We told you so!
Chapter 6: Jadis... Queen of Narnia?
Chapter 7: The Beaver's house
Chapter 8: Tumnus and the witch
Chapter 9: Merry Witchmas
Chapter 10: The not-so-secret Army
Chapter 11: The Witch's Camp
Chapter 12: A Sudden Change
Chapter 13: The Cold Mother
Chapter 14: Aslan...
Chapter 15: Home
Chapter 16: Death and Life. Heart and Home.
Chapter 17: On we must go...
Chapter 18: Darkest of Times
Chapter 19: Long Live the Kings and Queens
Chapter 20: Abandon
FAN ART
Cover Contest!
Winner!
Fate and Love
Chapter 1| The Message
Chapter 2| Prince Caspian
Chapter 3| Edmund
Chapter 4| Narnians
Chapter 5| Councils and Kisses
Chapter 6| Late Nights and Early Mornings
Chapter 7| A memoir of heartache
Chapter 8| Aslan's How
Chapter 9| Fire and Ice
Chapter 10| Torture
Chapter 11| Dead or Alive
Chapter 12| Negotiate
Chapter 13| King against King
Chapter 14| For King and Country
Chapter 15| The Call
Faith and Time
Chapter 1: Edmund
Chapter 2: The Tale of an Old Soul
Chapter 3: A glimpse of pain
Chapter 4: Ghost Town
Chapter 5: Do Not Go Gentle
Chapter 6: Unchained
Chapter 7: Awakening
Chapter 8: Island
Chapter 9: Voyage
Chapter 10: The Gold of Midas
Chapter 11: The Beginning of the End
Chapter 12: Liliandil
Chapter 13: Dulce est Decorrum est Pro patria mori
Chapter 14: Revelations
Epilogue

Chapter 1: New arrivals

34.5K 749 576
By the_metanoia

Amelia's eyes glazed over as she stared at the wall outlining her bedroom – her consciousness changing the intricate patterns on the wallpaper to shapes of all sizes. She stared at them curiously, tilting her head ever so slightly. The wall swarmed with the strangest creatures she had ever seen: fauns, centaurs, griffins. This was a world that only she could see. It's secrets and mysteries were hers to behold, hers to admire, hers to perceive.

The pattern changed and formed what looked like a cliff. Four people stared over the cliff at the world beyond. From what she could see, they were two boys and two girls. A fifth member joined them – a girl dressed in a long gown floating out behind her. The girl was welcomed by the four children. They seemed happy. They seemed... content.

Amelia could see the majestic shape of a lion take over the picture before –

"Come on, good girl, good girl, come on!" Mrs. Macready's voice rang. Amelia turned away from the lion and she curiously peeked out of the window in her room. She could hear the clip-clop of horse hooves as Mrs. Macready drove the Professor's little carriage. Four children were sitting in the back along with some luggage. The old carriage creaked and clanked as the Macready neared the mansion. Amelia gazed at them curiously.

They must be here because of the war, she thought to herself as she glanced at the top of their heads. Her own father was fighting as a soldier. I'll make our country proud, he had told her, I'll help us win the war. I'll come back, Amelia, I promise.

Amelia sighed. Oh, how she missed her father. For six months she had been without him, and for six months she'd been alone. Perhaps the Macready had finally brought along some good company. Amelia could only hope.

She stayed in her room, only surrounded by the strange images on the walls. She could hear Mrs. Macready's voice echoing through the walls as the old woman lead the four children inside. Amelia figured it best to leave them to their own devices for a while. She remembered her first day without her father, how traumatic it was. She preferred solitude that day, and she was sure these children would want the same.

Hours passed and the mansion soon went silent. No sound echoed but for the song of the birds outside. For some time it was peaceful; Amelia almost felt content, a rare feeling in war times. There she was, a lone child hoping and praying for the safe return of her father, just like the many others scattered across the countryside, but there was nothing else she could do other than hope and pray.

Then the silence was broken by the rumble of her stomach. She sighed heavily before getting off her bed and making her way over to the door.

She tip-toed out of her room, not wanting to make any noise to disturb the Professor. Amelia hadn't seen much of Professor Kirke – a kind, pot-bellied man – in the six months that she had spent in his mansion. He preferred his books and studies – leaving Amelia alone with only the Macready to keep her company.

Thankfully, the Macready had disappeared into one of the many rooms, leaving the corridors deserted. Amelia hated the old bat as much as a cat despises a dog. She would not mind yelling a word or two at the woman who only knew the phrases "Silly Little girl," and "Stop that!", but that was not how her father had raised her. I know she can be a little tough, her father had told her in one of his letters, But as long as you treat her with respect, she will do the same. Besides, where's the fun in having a secret midnight snack if there's no one to chase you after.

Amelia smiled as the memory filled her. That was her father, always the one to turn a bad situation into a better one. Amelia's head swarmed with memories of him as she stalked down the corridors. She remembered his terrible cooking, his constant need to be outside, his love of books, his love for Amelia's mother who had left them so long ago.

As these thoughts filled Amelia's mind, she paid no attention to her steps or direction. It wasn't until she felt a bong sound ringing in her head that she realised she had walked into someone.

Fear ran through as she immediately thought of the Macready. Already she was trying to scramble the words together.

"Mrs. Macready... I... I don't... what... you see –"

"OW!"

That was not Mrs. Macready. Amelia looked up from her place near the wall – where she held onto the mahogany bookshelf for support. There stood not Mrs. Macready, but a boy. He was grumbling curses under his breath as he held his head in pain. Amelia felt the urge to giggle but pushed it down once she heard the string of curses emitting from his mouth. He must be one of the new children, she thought to herself.

"Can you not watch where you're going!" He shouted at her. Amelia jumped back, shocked. His black hair whipped back and forth as he continued his ramble, "I mean come on!"

Amelia was silent for a few moments, not comprehending that this new boy was actually yelling at her. Is he seriously yelling at me for bumping into him?

Frustration suddenly filled her. He was the new boy, new to this environment and new to her. Surely he should be treating her with some moderate amount respect considering that she had been at the manor far longer than he had, "Perhaps you could've made the effort to watch where you were going! Why is it only my fault?"

The boy only got more frustrated once she yelled back at him, "And who do you think you are?"

"Someone who does not like you, and I only met you two minutes ago."

He angrily tugged at his hair before stalking off in the other direction, towards what Amelia assumed were their rooms.

Well, she thought to herself, I may as well go meet the rest of them.

She walked into the kitchen and put the kettle to a boil before getting a small tray ready. On it, she placed teacups, teaspoons, and sugars. She walked around the kitchen, grabbing all the things she needed, her mind raced back to the event that took place only moments ago.

She thought the boy was rather rude, but perhaps she should've just apologized and left it at that. Now there was going to be a riff between her and these new children, and Amelia didn't want that. She would like to make a friend or two during her time here, not an enemy. After six months in almost complete solitude, she could use a friend or two.

Amelia could not dwell on it for long before a small voice echoed from the entrance to the kitchen.

"Um... excuse me?" Amelia whipped around to see a little girl, only around 8 years old, standing in the doorway. Her dark brown bob fell to her shoulders around her pale face.

Amelia smiled at her innocence, "How can I help you?"

The little girl seemed to shrink slightly, "I've lost my brother, and I don't know the way back to my room. Can you help me?"

Amelia realised that the dark-haired boy must've been her older brother. Amelia cringed slightly at that thought. She hoped his sister was not like him, "I was actually just about to bring some tea over to introduce myself. I'll take you along once the pot has boiled."

The little girl's face suddenly broke into a smile. She hopped her way over to one of the benches by the wooden table before plopping down and watching as Amelia hustled about the room.

"How long have you been here?" she asked curiously.

Amelia sighed longingly, "Six months and counting."

The little girl gasped, "What! That's so long!"

"Yeah," Amelia responded, "But at least you lot are here now, maybe it won't be so boring anymore."

The girl giggled, "I'm Lucy, Lucy Pevensie."

Amelia smiled at her, "Amelia Cromwell."

The kettle interrupted their conversation with its whistle. Amelia quickly turned the stove off before pouring the hot water into a teapot and placing it on the tray.

"Let's be on our way then," Amelia said. The grabbed the tray and exited the kitchen, Lucy following close behind.

As they walked through the maze of corridors, Lucy spurred up a conversation.

"I think you'll like my brother, Peter. He's really friendly." Amelia almost choked as she said this, I think I've already met your brother Lucy, and I don't think I like him.

"Is that so?" Amelia responded.

"Yeah! My sister is okay too, although she likes to think she's smarter than everyone else."

Amelia giggled, "Well, I look forward to meeting them."

In no time at all they reached the door to Lucy and her sister's room. Amelia could hear the old radio through the door as it gave the daily war update.

Amelia tentatively knocked on the door.

"Come in," she heard a voice echo. Amelia opened the door and was greeted by the sound of the sombre voice on the radio.

"German aircraft carried out a number of attacks on Great Britain last night. The raids, which lasted for several hours-"

The eldest girl, a dark-haired beauty, had quickly turned the radio off before coming to the door where Amelia stood, tray still in hand.

"Lucy! There you are! We were about to send Edmund to get you." She exclaimed once her eyes lay on the little girl at Amelia's side.

Lucy's smiled at her, "Sorry I took so long, I got lost, but Amelia brought me back. She made tea too!" Lucy quickly took the tray from Amelia before setting off on pouring herself a cup.

The eldest girl sent Amelia a small smile, " I'm Susan Pevensie, this is Peter," to Amelia's surprise, she didn't point towards the boy she had met moments ago, but to an older blond boy sitting by the window in the corner, "Edmund" Amelia spotted the dark-haired boy from before sitting on one of the beds, a scowl firmly sketched on his face. He sent Amelia a small glare before turning his back to her. "and you already know Lucy."

The little Pevensie had gotten into her bed with her cup of tea and was shuffling around while her face scrunched up in irritation. "The sheets feel scratchy," Lucy said, touching them with her hand. Amelia nodded grimly as she, Peter and Susan went to sit next to her.

"Yeah, they're a bit old I'm afraid. Mrs. Macready will most likely go buy some new sheets tomorrow." Amelia then saw that the sheets weren't actually what was bothering the little girl. Lucy sat with a grim face and sad brown eyes that made Amelia's heart melt. Perhaps the gravity of the situation was finally settling in her mind. Perhaps she realised that this was going to be her life for a while. She was going to live in a stranger's home with only her three siblings and a stranger to keep her company. Amelia sighed sadly "Wars don't last forever, Lucy," the little Pevensie looked up at her with innocent eyes.

"We'll be home soon," Susan continued. The two girls offered Lucy a comforting smile, rubbing small circles into her hands. Amelia felt a string tugging on her heart as she stared at the little girl. She knew the feeling of uncertainty during war times, but Lucy was only a young girl – too young to be worrying about dying soldiers, shrapnel, bombs, and dictators.

"Yeah, if home's still there," Edmund scoffed from the other side of the room. Amelia spun around and faced him, shocked. She could feel the frown creasing her own forehead as her eyes grew wide. His words had cut through the comfort they were given Lucy like how a saw cuts through wood. Amelia immediately felt the tension in the air as it rose.

"Isn't it time you were in bed?" Susan asked, her voice toned with annoyance.

"Yes, mum," Edmund replied in a sharp tone, his eyes staring defiantly at his sister.

"Ed!" Peter retorted loudly before facing Lucy, the once annoyed look melted into a comforting smile, "We'll be fine, don't worry Lu."

"That's right," Amelia said, smiling at Lucy, "This place is huge. We can do whatever we want here. You'll love it when tomorrow comes. We'll go outside, maybe pick some apples from the orchard. You'd like that, won't you?"

Amelia handed the girl her cup of tea from the nightstand, "Drink this," Lucy took the cup gratefully, taking small sips, "My father always told me that if ever I felt worried, I should drink some tea and read a good book. It helps you escape from it all."

Lucy smiled at this, "Good thing I love tea." Amelia giggled slightly at her words. Peter sent her a grateful nod and she smiled back at him. Lucy was so little, Amelia's heart went out to her. They were all the same, after all. They were all lonely children in a strange place with only each other. Amelia had barely known the Pevensies for five minutes, but they were better than nothing.

"I should be getting to bed and I think you all should do the same," Amelia spoke, waving at the four Pevensies as she made her way over to the door.

They all muttered their replies, except for Edmund, before Amelia slowly closed the creaking door. Excitement ran like a drug through her veins. She imagined all the things they could do when the morning came. She would finally have the company of someone other than herself. They could play cricket, or chess or pick flowers in gardens.

Amelia almost laughed at herself. How had she suddenly become so needy for company? She had been doing just fine on her own for six months. Perhaps the creatures on the wall had been enough, but at that moment all she wanted, all she needed in this time of war and peril, was a friend.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

175K 5.7K 29
"Oh. Milady Ashton, are you going to the ball for King Peter." The young centaur shyly asked Ashton. Ashton crouched down next to her, meeting her ey...
54.2K 1.3K 11
Book two is now up! (y/n) Kirke had lived with Professor Kirke her entire life, she always felt like she didn't belong there. When the Pevensie sibli...
8.3K 162 30
COMPLETED: Peter and Cora have known eachother all their lives, when it's called out to everyone in London that all children are to be evacuated a fa...