Weaving a Song

By Venari

"Your child will be gifted. She will be able to do what even Elves have trouble with. Be warned, she may not... More

Weaving a Song
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Chapter 117
Chapter 118

Chapter 87

1.3K 56 8
By Venari

Mid January 3019 TA

The Fellowship continued on, Legolas and Almiel walking arm in arm with soft conversation. Aragorn noticed Gimli kept glancing back at the two of them, as if he was not sure what to do with them. It made Aragorn chuckle slightly to himself, but he made no comment when Pippin questioned him.

Haldir noticed Almiel was giving off more than he expected for only eight people, and it made him wonder. She was not trying to heal the Ring, that would take more than even she had and she was not that stupid. Nor was she really giving all that much more to Frodo than the rest. Why? He asked her.

Her eyes narrowed at the back of his head, for he was still leading them and Legolas and Almiel were at the back. You shall learn soon enough.

They ascended to the chamber that held the Lord and Lady, and they greeted their guests one by one. Now Almiel had slipped from the group to rejoin Haldir where they stood off to the side. He glanced at her concerned but she pointedly ignored his look. They turned their attention back to the greetings, which called each of the fellowship by name.

"Welcome Aragorn son of Arathorn! It is eight and thirty years of the world outside since you came to this land; and those years lie heavy on you. But the end is near, for good or ill. Here lay aside your burden for a while!"

"Welcome son of Thranduil! Too long has it been since you have come." Legolas had smiled slightly.

It seems I cannot make the journey as much as my sister can.

Indeed, but here you shall stay for a little while. Galadriel answered.

"Welcome Gimli son of Glóin! It is long indeed since we saw one of Durin's folk in Caras Galadhon. But today we have broken our long law. May it be a sign that though the world is dark better days are at hand, and that friendship shall be renewed between our peoples." At that, Gimli bowed low.

Then the guests sat before the Lord, though Almiel and Haldir remained standing off to the side still. "Here there are eight." Celeborn started. "Nine were to set out: so said the messages. But maybe there has been some change of counsel we have not heard."

"Nay," Galadriel said, speaking for the first time out loud, "Gandalf the Grey set out with this Company, but he did not pass our borders. But now I cannot see him from afar, for he is shrouded in mist." To everyone but a few's surprise, her eyes flickered to the Princess. Almiel seemed to meet her gaze, but her eyes had hardened slightly.

"Alas!" said Aragorn, "Gandalf the Grey fell into shadow. He remained in Moria and did not escape."

The Elves who were gathered cried aloud at the news and after the shock wore off Haldir looked at Almiel. So that was it.

Yes.

You could have told me.

Probably.

You are as stubborn as your father...

Nay, I am more so. The reply only made Haldir grimace.

Celeborn spoke then. "These are evil tidings, the most evil that have been spoken here in long years fill of grievous deeds." He then looked toward Haldir and Almiel and spoke in their tongue. "But why has nothing of this been told to me before?" Haldir shifted and looked at Almiel. Almiel opened her mouth part way before Legolas spoke.

"We have not spoken to Haldir of our deeds or our purpose. At first we were weary and danger was too close behind; and afterwards we almost forgot our grief for a time." He flickered his eyes at his sister and the Lord and Lady seemed to understand. "As we walked in gladness on the fair paths of Lórien." They spoke a little longer with the Lord and Lady, telling their full tale and in the end Gimli himself was quite fond of the Lady. At long last, the Lady held each of them in her gaze, though only Legolas and Aragorn were able to hold it the entire time.

You are still troubled, young Prince.

You should know why.

You have found her here.

Yes... but the way Haldir spoke... it was like he did not expect her to be safe, even here.

Galadriel looked at him in silence for a minute. Then she finally spoke. Your sister's fate has supposedly been decreed, but I sense there is something that she knows that she will not tell anyone, even Haldir, that may keep her alive. Do not become hopeless.

As you say, My Lady. Legolas said after a moment of hesitation. He looked at Almiel who, as usual, knew what it was he feared. For once, however, she said nothing, but he felt a wave of warmth hit him. He looked at Haldir, who this time refused to meet his gaze.

Then however, Celeborn dismissed them, telling them to rest and heal. Haldir led them to the pavilion where they were to stay, which had soft couches for each of them to recline upon. The others all threw themselves to the ground, but Legolas held Haldir back. Almiel was now with the others, occasionally touching one of them lightly on the shoulder, and was doing her part to help them heal.

What are you not telling me? Legolas asked Haldir. Haldir sighed. Most of the Fellowship realized they were conversing, but none of them quite new why, though Almiel had a pretty good idea.

I have no heart to tell you. Haldir said. I fear whatever I say would either give you false hope, or give you an instant feeling of dread. Neither of those do I care to give to you.

Haldir, we have long been brothers, I wish to know what is happening with my sister!

Ask her then! Haldir uncharacteristically snapped at him. Then he took a long breath, glancing at the Princess who was in the midst of the Fellowship. I am sorry, but ask me not. He said and then, with one more glance at the Fellowship, melted away into the trees. Legolas looked after him for a minute, before he rejoined the others. They were now speaking of what it had been like to hold the Lady's gaze and Boromir seemed offended.

"Well, have a care!" He was saying to Frodo who had refused to answer Boromir's question. "I do not feel too sure of this Elvish Lady and her purposes."

"Speak no evil of the Lady Galadriel!" Aragorn said sternly before Legolas could. "You know not what you say. There is in her and this land no evil, unless a man bring it hither himself. Then let him beware! But tonight I shall sleep without fear for the first time since I left Rivendell. And may I sleep deep, and forget for awhile my grief! I am weary in body and in heart."

Almiel glanced at Aragorn, who had promptly fallen asleep on his couch, before turning somewhat amused to Boromir. "The Lady does not do anything without purpose, and though you might think her motives unclear, she meant no evil. Indeed, it was more to prevent evil than to spread it."

Boromir glanced at her keenly. "You know her well?"

"I have stayed long in Lórien, at different times. I suppose I know her better than some, but perhaps not as well as others. Know this, she is good and powerful and wise."

He glanced at Legolas who did not seem surprised at the Princess' words. "You certainly have an eloquent Princess." Legolas smiled.

"She was well trained."

"Strange," Boromir said, staring at Almiel. "Women are not usually as trained diplomatically as men are."

"Elves are." Legolas answered simply. Almiel looked at him, and then back at Boromir who still seemed quite confused. Then she rose.

"Well, you are all tired, and seeing as one of you is passed out already, I shall take my leave."

"Will we see you again before we leave?" Merry suddenly asked. Almiel smiled at him, and Merry's chest felt like it expanded with warmth.

"Most certainly, Legolas would not let me stay away too much." She said. Legolas stood and followed her. Boromir watched after them.

"She is a strange Elf." He said. Gimli glanced at him.

"Maybe, but she is also unnaturally kind."

"What makes you say that?" Boromir asked, as did many of the others. But Gimli would not answer.

*

"You wonder about me." Almiel said once they were out of ear shot of the others.

Legolas looked at her. "Yes, I did not know that I would find you here."

"I thought father sent you word."

"He did, but he did not say where you went, only that you left. I hoped to find you here, but a part of me dreaded finding you gone, and Haldir did not really reassure me."

"He is... only trying to protect you."

"From what? If you are here..."

"Do you really expect me to stay here?" Almiel asked suddenly turning quickly to him. Legolas' mouth opened and closed a few times.

"I... But did father not order you to stay here?"

"Father sent me here knowing I would not stay." Almiel answered. Legolas' mouth simply remained parted slightly. "He trusts me, as should you."

"But..."

"But nothing, I will leave when I feel the time is right."

Legolas swallowed. "Are you so willing to die?"

"I never said I would die, only that I will accept death if it finds me." Legolas' mouth straightened into a tight line.

"I will order you to stay here then."

"It will have no effect on me." Almiel answered. Legolas' face flushed red.

He opened his mouth once more, but Haldir suddenly jumped down in front of him. "Almiel is right." He said.

"You cannot-!" Legolas cried.

"I can," Haldir said, "her father talked to me last, not you. The Elvenking gave her his leave."

"Then he has lost his mind!" Legolas cried. "He could not possibly-!"

"But he did," Almiel said gently. She looked up at the sky sighing. "I am not leaving tomorrow, however." She looked back at him. "Go, get some rest, you are tired and easily irritated. We will talk again." She pressed her hand to his chest. "Trust me," she said before gliding away. Haldir watched her leave for a second.

"What did my father say?" Legolas asked. Haldir glanced at him.

"She was right, you need rest. Your body is weary. We will talk later." He said and also walked away. Legolas stared after them.

"Why do I feel like they are conspiring against me?" He sighed and then walked back to the pavilion.

*

"He is only worried for you like any brother would be."

Almiel was faced away from him, facing South on her flet. Haldir came up behind her and put his hands on her shoulders.

"I know, it is not he that is weighing on me." Haldir sighed.

"I know. Why do you insist on giving what you do not have?" Almiel turned to look at him, smiling softly.

"Because you are here," she said almost teasingly.

"That is not funny, what if I am not there? And you will not let me..."

"I know, I know..." Almiel said, now sounding tired and worn. Her eyes turned downcast. "I am sorry, but you still have to trust me." Haldir lifted his hand to her face.

"I have no choice." He said and then turned away. "Get some rest yourself." He said. "You will need it."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

135K 3.5K 25
[Highest Rank: 1 in Lord Of The Rings] "love is a strange thing. Once it happens, nothing and no one can change it, in any condition.". Niphredil Ele...
165K 6.2K 52
People say that death is not the end. For Evelyn, it's not. After battling cancer for almost four years, death is something that this nineteen year o...
77.6K 2.1K 34
[Highest Rank: 4 in Legolas] When the old wounds get open once more, when the darkness poisons her soul, when all hope fades away, can Nestarel Umari...
335K 13K 74
Book One "From the time we are born we start making choices. At the time when we are young we learned that our choices come with consequences. Some a...