Stars Stripes and Metal

By Dani20sma11z

To reject one's soulmate is certain death. Everyone is born with one, many go their whole lives without findi... More

Author's Note
Prologue
Giving into Temptation
Crawling before Running
A Global Safety Net
Confessions
Mind Games
Memories
Life and Death
Sokovia
New Beginnings
Goodbye Is Never Easy
Home
Watched
Wanted
Reunited
Fighting
Innocent
The Jade Soldier
Time Lost
Coffee and Kevlar
Civil War
A Place For Criminals
A Second Chance
Putting Down Roots
As Long As We Both Shall Live
A Love Lost, But Not Forgotten
Wake Up James
Orders
I'm Right Here
The Call
Children of Thanos
The Mind Stone
The Calm
I Didn't Get To Say Goodbye
Time Stands Still For No Man
Phoenix
Endgame
Everything Has Changed
A Final Goodbye
A New Beginning
One More Time
My Soulmate
What The Fuck?
Hostile Territory
Is Now A Good Time?
Therapy
Rediscovering You
An Old Friend
Hypothetical
Airplanes, Arguments and Allies
Breaking Point
Finding The Way Back
Playing God
Responsibilities
X-Gene
Feels Like Home
Remember Me
Unstable
Not His Woman, His Child
Lust and Trust
Rules
Rejection
Reconnect
Baby Blues
Back to Business
New Information
Kinks
Again
Distracted
Truth Time
P.E.G.A.S.U.S.
Back To Basics
Unbroken
Wife
Keeping Tabs
An Old Enemy
Target Practice
Vows
Level Up
Roadtrip
The Plan
Not The Plan
Making It Right
Mission Prep
A Bargin
Welcome Home Captain
The Rescue
An Eye For An Eye
Finding A Way Back
Epilogue

You'll Die Too

72 1 0
By Dani20sma11z

Riga, Latvia. June 2024.

26 hours, 1560 minutes, 93600 seconds and Ana still hasn't woken up. Zemo had called Steve in a panic after Ana willingly ripped her soul in half trying to rid herself of James. Steve took the next flight out of JKF International Airport and is on his way to her.

Sam and Zemo finally managed to move Ana off the floor, using blankets and towels to protect their skin when they lifted her from the floor to the couch. Her body still blazing, the only time Sam has ever known Ana to do this was when Wanda showed her the memories of James. Steve had said her body was on fire then too. He could barely move her.

Her nose hasn't stopped bleeding either. Sam and Zemo took turns wiping the blood away for the last day. Sam is worried, she's lost so much blood already. Her skin too pale.

At 27 hours Steve bursts through the door of Zemo's house. Running past Sam and Zemo right for Ana. She scorches him when he reaches out for her hand. Her body covered in sweat, steam rising from her skin as her body temperature burns the sweat off as soon as it forms. Her chest rapidly rising and falling as she breathes too hard and too fast.

What happened? Steve asks.

Ana lost control. Sam looks at his friend worried.

And she's been out this whole time?

Yeah, and the bleeding hasn't stopped. Sam holds a towel out to Steve, who holds it to her nose. Trying to stop the steady stream of blood from escaping her body.

Tell me exactly what happened. He orders.

Ana called James' phone but Sharon answered. Ana's eyes turned black, she started to hyperventilate and then dropped the phone. She literally caught on fire, and then screamed. And then this energy blasted out of her, and she collapsed. Her nose hasn't stopped bleeding and she hasn't woken up since.

So this is because of James? Steve looks back down at Ana. Her hair damp and pressed to her face, her breathing coming hard, like she can't catch it. The skin around her eyes, nose and mouth almost black.

Obviously. Zemo answers. He is her soul mate after all.

What does that have to do with his? Sam asks.

It has everything to do with this.

Then were the hell is he?

Probably still fucking Sharon.

What?! Steve's face radiating anger.

Ana said something about James being in Sharon's shower. And then Ana lost control. I can only assume it was because he fucked Sharon.

How do I fix this? Steve asks Zemo, praying he has some answers.

Only her other half can fix this. Zemo looks down at Ana sadly, I'm afraid she may not have much time left.

Did anyone try calling James? Steve asks.

Straight to voicemail every time. Sam answers sadly.

If she dies I'm going to kill him. Steve promises.

She's gonna die?! James asks as he runs into the house. Wiping his nose on his sleeve. Where is she? His eyes search frantically, trying to find her.

Steve stands and marches over to James.

What are y.... James starts to ask, until he spots Ana laying on the couch. Breathing hard, the skin around her eyes and mouth nearly black. Small veins across her face black, James knows her eyes are black if she could open them. He also knows her body temperature is pushing 200 degrees. Any hotter and her organs are going to fail. This is the serum in her blood, amplifying her mutation. Making her stronger, and killing her if she doesn't gain control.

What did you do!? Steve demands answers as he pushes James away from Ana by his throat, pinning him against the wall. Steve notices James nose is bleeding too.

I... I... James swallows hard against Steve's hand, unable to say the words. What happened to her?

Zemo sets the tablet down he was reading, trying to find any information about what Ana is experiencing. This is what happens when someone rejects their soulmate. She'll die if this isn't fixed.

What the hell Buck? Steve spins back on James, releasing his hold on his throat.

James ignores Steve, and wipes the blood from his nose again. The bleeding? He holds up his sleeve, soaked with blood.

It seems you both will continue to slowly loose blood until there isn't enough for you to survive. You've been bleeding for over 24 hours correct?

James nods.

Her too. Sam wipes the blood from Ana's face again.

Christ James! Don't you think?! You said her other half can fix this. How do we do that? Steve asks Zemo.

One of you can, only her other half will know how. Zemo shrugs. At least that's what it says.

This is your fault! Steve pushes James against the wall again. What the hell were you thinking?

I wanted her to hurt, I wanted to break her heart like she does to me every time she picks you. James admits.

She didn't do any of this to hurt you on purpose. Steve walks away from James. Moving back towards Ana, he pushes his hair away from his face and glances at Zemo.

Is it possible for someone to have more that one soulmate.

Zemo is quiet for a moment, and then nods. Everyone is born with a soulmate, many people never find theirs. Ana found hers in James. But then she met you. Zemo looks at Steve, it seems it is possible for two people to form such a bond that they become soulmates. So yes, as in Ana's case. A person can have two.

Steve nods and kneels down next to Ana, her skin burning his hand when he touches her. So I'm the soulmate she created.

And I'm the one born for her. James continues, watching Steve and Ana. Realizing she never could have truly picked between him and Steve. Unless she does what she did, rejects him.

That explains why Ana hated being around the two of you at the same time. She used to say it fucked with her head too much. Sam shakes his head before continuing, no wonder Thor was her safe place.

And it would explain why Ana didn't die when Captain Roger's divorced her. She was only deeply heart broken but didn't die from it. Had James done it, because he was born for her. It would have killed her. Zemo explains.

She's picked Steve over me many times though, this has never happened. James wipes his nose again. Sam holds out a towel, James takes it.

True, Zemo stands and begins to pace. But when she picked Captain Rogers she wasn't rejecting you. She still loved you and couldn't move past you. She simply chose to have a life with him.

And now she doesn't love me? James asks, his eyes turning red burning from the tears building behind them.

She's trying not too. She opted not to accept you as hers anymore. Thus breaking her own heart trying to make it happen. She forcibly tried to remove you from her soul. Did you feel anything when it happened?

James nods, his hand moving his chest.

When people say someone died of a broken heart, it's true. It happens when a soul leaves it mate. By choice or death. Ana will die if she chooses to no longer love you. And you will die shortly after.

Tears fall silently from Steve's eyes as he wipes the blood from Ana's nose. Fix this James, please. I can't loose her again.

James panics, and starts pacing around the room. He walks past the bar and grabs a bottle. Spinning the top off with his forefinger and thumb before tilting it back and letting the clear liquid run down his throat.

He tries to find a solution. Wiping his nose, he looks down at the blood. She'll die and so will he. That's why they both snapped during the Blip. One physically could not be without the other. She used to say that she could live without Steve but not him. Because he was her other half, born for her. Frozen for 70 years to live long enough for her. Fucking Hydra. He's never been grateful for them, but now he is.

James paces, his hand in his hair while he thinks of all the ways his relationship with her is different than the one she built with Steve.

Steve? He asks, suddenly understanding how to help her.

What? Steve's anger evident and patience short.

Can you calm her? When she's like this, when her temperature is too high, when she's angry do you bring her temperature down?

No. Steve answers.

I can. As soon as I touch her. James admits.

Then touch her!! Steve screams at him.

James pulls off his shirt, wiping the blood away again.

What the hell are you doing? Steve asks, looking at James confused.

She needs skin, my skin and as much of it as possible. James admits. Trust me.

Kinda don't.

When Ana had that panic attack in Wakanda and you weren't there. Want to know how I calmed her down? I laid her on top of me, I absorbed her heat. And she regulated to my heart, my breathing. And I'm sorry to tell you but AJ did the same thing the other night with Ana.

Steve nods suddenly understanding. He reaches for Ana's shirt and pulls the material apart, ripping it in half down her body. He looks up at James, silently asking what next. James steps out of his jeans and nods at Steve to undress Ana down to her under ware. Sam suddenly realizes what his happening and points towards Zemo, telling him to go away. Steve rips Ana's jeans from her body.

James lays down on the other couch in the room, bring her to me. He orders.

Steve picks Ana up bridal style, wincing as her skin burns him. And lays her on James' body.

James wraps his arms around her. Almost instantly her breathing slows and her body relaxes.

It's working. Steve looks at James amazed. Ana unconsciously nuzzles against James' throat. Her lips finding his pulsing.

Her heart is slowing. James informs them. He strokes her back.

Your nose Bucky. Sam nods towards him.

Steve reaches towards Ana, and wipes the blood away. He breathes a sigh of relief when the blood doesn't continue to flow.

It's working. Steve whispers and pushes the hair from her face.

Kroska, pora. Babe, it's time. Wake up. 

James urges Ana to wake, feeling her body temperature rapidly decreasing. Steve and James' eyes meet. Both worried that she may choose not to wake up. Both worried about what will happen if she does.

She's almost back to normal. James whispers. He feels her shift against him. Her body searching for him. Usually, when something like this happens, or after her panic attack. He would hold her like this until she settled. Then her body would search for his, eventually he would fuck her until the panic or anger was gone. He can't do that now.

She's um... He points down to her hips. Waking up. His closes his eyes, willing himself not to get hard. Trying to put himself anywhere but where he is. Steve realizes what's happening.

Ohh kay. He steps forwards and lifts her off James. James immediately adjusts his semi-hard erection and throws a blanket over his lap.

I can't help it. He apologies when Steve glares at him. Jealous that Ana is wrapped around Steve.

Come on baby, let's get you in the shower. Steve whispers, unhooking Ana's bra on the way to the bathroom. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ana sits naked under the cool water of the shower, her body still too hot, almost back to normal but still hot. Steve had moved out of the water when his teeth started to chatter. He sits a foot away from her, watching the cool water runs down her body. She hasn't spoken other than asking what happened. Steve told her everything. And she hasn't spoken since, simply continued to sit under the water pouring down on her.

Ana's eyes still black, but the black skin on her face has subsided.

Baby, talk to me. Steve tries again. Willing her to form a thought.

He's here?

Yes. Out in the living room.

He watches Ana's lip tremble.

Tell me again what happened?

Steve explains the events of the last 27 hours again. She asked him to give her as much detail about James being her soul mate born for her compared to Steve the soulmate she created. James was able to save her life. She hates him.

So I can't.. reject him?

No baby, you'll die. And so will he.

Ana scoffs.

I know you're upset, I don't blame you. I'm pretty angry with you both myself but you have to accept him as your soulmate... for me and for the boys.

Ana looks to Steve, her eyes dead.

Baby?

Ana doesn't speak, she blinks and rests her head on her arms. Her knees pulled up under her. She wants to hurt James. Not just emotionally but physically. She wishes The Winter Soldier wasn't gone so she could get a good fight out of him before she killed him. But apparently she can't do that. Some stupid rule about soulmates.

Fuck soulmates. Ana grumbles.

Steve tries not to laugh. He knows she's pissed about James. And not him.

The water suddenly shuts off as Ana tries to stand. Steve watches her timidly. Ana never uses her power except in a fight. He stands quickly, and reach for her. Her skin and hair already dry despite having been under the water for the last 45 minutes.

Ana?

She blinks up at him. His Ana is gone, Jade stares back at him.

Ok, well before you go out there and kick his ass. Can I help you get dressed. Sam and Zemo are still there and as much as I'm turned on by Jade, I don't want them to see you naked.

Ana huffs.

I'll take that as a yes. Stay here. Please. He begs her.

5 minutes later Steve returns with clothing for Ana. Nothing fancy, just a pair of leggings and his t-shirt, which she ties in a knot under her breasts. Showing some skin, her scares visible.

Baby? Steve tries to get her attention, tries to get her to come back to him before he releases her onto James.

She looks at him, still not his Ana. I love you.

The corner of her lip lifts slightly in the hint of a smile.

Remember, if he dies... you will too. If you reject him, you die. Remember the life we want to have together. I know you're mad... but he's your soulmate. And he saved your life.

Ana doesn't respond as she walks out of the bathroom and into the living room. The air around her electrically charged. The hairs on the back of Sam, Zemo and James' neck raise the closer Ana gets. Sam exhales hard, realizing his best friend is ok. Zemo smirks, having never seen anything like Ana. James swallows hard, Ana isn't walking towards him. Jade is. And Jade is lethal, with no remorse or conscious. Just destruction. It's like her soldier has been activated and she's out for revenge. The last time he saw her like this was when she found out HYDRA took their daughter.

Kroska?

I hate you. Ana speaks.

No. Doll. You don't. You're hurt.

You hurt me.

I'm sorry baby, I never realized Steve was your soulmate too. I thought it was just me and you wanted him more.

I'll always want him more.

James' face contorts in pain. Don't say that Ana. I'm the only one who can bring you back. I'm the one who can save your life. We we born for each other.

No. Her nose starts to bleed again.

Ana!! Don't! Steve yells from behind her when he sees James' nose bleeding. She's rejecting him again.

If you reject me, we both die Ana. James warns her, wiping his nose. I would gladly die for you, but what about Steve.

Leave him out of this. Ana demands.

He is in this. He's the reason for half of this! If he wasn't the soulmate you created then we wouldn't be in this position.

We wouldn't be in this position if you hadn't fucked that woman.

Which one? He blurts out and immediately regrets. Ana's fingers ignite.

Ana realizes there was more than one on his path of self destruction. Sharon was only the last.

Her body starts to vibrate again. How many?

How many what? He hopes if he plays stupid she won't lose it.

How many woman did you fuck? Her lip trembles.

I don't know, maybe 5. I wasn't counting. He shakes his head and lowers his gaze ashamed of what he's done.

Ana doesn't hesitate, her hand ignites into a ball of fire, she throws it at him. He steps to the left, barely dodging it.

I hate you. She screams, the blood pouring from her nose again, pooling in her ears now as well.

Ana stop. You'll die. Steve runs up to her. Her body too hot.

Buck. Steve looks at him, asking for help.

I can't get near her. You have to do it. James tries to convince him.

Baby look at me. Steve grabs her face, forcing her to look at him. His hands burning on her skin. Think about Sammy, and AJ. If you kill James, or you reject him as your soulmate you will die and leave our babies alone. I know you don't want that.

Ana's fire dies. She falls to the floor, broken. Her body shakes as she sobs. I'm pregnant. She whispers through tears.

What did she say? James steps forward.

She's pregnant. Steve looks at Ana, heartbroken. He sits next to her. Are you sure? He asks, praying she's wrong.

Ana nods.

Steve looks up to James, it's obviously yours. Last week was the first time I was with her since before the divorce. Steve put his hands on Ana's cheeks, did you know then?

Ana shakes her head, not until yesterday.

James takes a deep breath, and looks to the ground.

You're pregnant? With... he smiles. With my baby? He sounds happy. Ana's head shoot up towards the sound of his voice.

No. You might be the biological father, but you'll be nothing else.

Ana you can't keep this child from me. This is our second chance.

She shakes her head. Any second chance you might have had, you lost when you put your dick in that fucking whore. She screams at him. Her eyes turning black again, the skin around her eyes nose and mouth black. Blood seeps from her and James noses.

Ana. Steve warns, bringing her back.

The fire slowly dies.

Of all the people, I might have been able to forgive the ones before Sharon, but I can't forgive you for her. James Buchanan Barnes, I will not refuse you as my soulmate but we will never be together again. I will never be yours from this day forward. And Steven will raise your child, this baby will carry his name.

Ana stands walks out of Zemo's house. Wanting nothing to do with James at all.

No! James screams after her, his heart shattering into a million pieces. 

She feels the loss of him immediately. She nearly faints, the shock of walking away from him too much for her to handle. She clutches to the outside wall of Zemo's safe house. Steve runs out and finds her, struggling to walk down the steps. Her face stained with tears, her heart breaking for James and for child she carries. James' child.

He grips her shoulders and leads her away. Silently promising never to let feel what she feels right now. To protect her for the rest of their lives. Together as one unit, he may not be the soul mate she was born with. But he's the one she chose to make. She's his woman, his soulmate. And he will protect her and their children no matter what happens. James will never meet his child, if that's what Ana wants.

He leads her down the street, taking her home. Away from James, and Zemo and this ridiculous mission. He'll move them somewhere else if he has too. He'll make sure she's happy, for the rest of his life. He'll love her until he can't physically love anymore.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.5K 251 24
"Love the life you live. Live the life you love." -Bob Marley When Yn Rogers and her brother, Steve Rogers, come out of the ice and are the first rec...
8.9K 423 35
Given your old-fashioned personality and obsession with all things 1940s to 1980s, it's no wonder that most people refer to you as an 'old soul' who...
3.9K 115 38
"Keep my Bucky safe alright?" I said straightening Steve's jacket. "You act as if I ain't here, Babydoll," Bucky chuckled grabbing my hand and pullin...
696K 19K 59
An Avenger Soulmate AU! 11 Soulmates sound crazy right especially when you have 11 marks. Her mates : Clint Nat Tony Bruce Pietro Wanda Thor Loki S...