MISTRESS OF FLAME

By CeCeLib

[ BOOK 1 OF AZITERA: YTHER'S QUEEN ] Consumed by avarice, the four human kingdoms-the Infernal Empire, the Ki... More

SYNOPSIS
SOLLEL
AZITERA MAP
PROLOGUE
CHAPTER 1
CHAPTER 2
CHAPTER 3
CHAPTER 4
CHAPTER 5
CHAPTER 6
CHAPTER 7
CHAPTER 8
CHAPTER 9
CHAPTER 10
CHAPTER 11
CHAPTER 12
CHAPTER 13
CHAPTER 14
CHAPTER 15
CHAPTER 16
CHAPTER 17
CHAPTER 18
CHAPTER 19
CHAPTER 20
CHAPTER 21
CHAPTER 22
CHAPTER 23
CHAPTER 24
CHAPTER 25
CHAPTER 26
CHAPTER 27
CHAPTER 28
CHAPTER 29
CHAPTER 30
CHAPTER 31
CHAPTER 32
CHAPTER 33
CHAPTER 34
CHAPTER 35
CHAPTER 36
CHAPTER 38
CHAPTER 39
CHAPTER 40
CHAPTER 41
CHAPTER 42
CHAPTER 43
CHAPTER 44
CHAPTER 45
CHAPTER 46
CHAPTER 47
CHAPTER 48
CHAPTER 49
CHAPTER 50
CHAPTER 51
CHAPTER 52
CHAPTER 53
CHAPTER 54
CHAPTER 55
CHAPTER 56
CHAPTER 57
CHAPTER 58
CHAPTER 59
CHAPTER 60
CHAPTER 61
CHAPTER 62
CHAPTER 63
CHAPTER 64
CHAPTER 65
CHAPTER 66
CHAPTER 67
CHAPTER 68
CHAPTER 69
CHAPTER 70
EPILOGUE
SPECIAL CHAPTER: Rescue
SPECIAL CHAPTER: A peek into the past
WRITER'S REVEAL: How the Azitera Series came to be
[FREE PREVIEW] - The Descendant of Sappher and the Former Elf Princess
SPECIAL CHAPTER: The Descendant of Sappher and the Former Elf Princess
SPECIAL CHAPTER: Bathtub (R-18)
SPECIAL CHAPTER: The Mistress of the Wind

CHAPTER 37

83.1K 7.6K 4.5K
By CeCeLib

CHAPTER 37

AFTER PULLING OVER the wagon to a secluded area in the forest, Xeke set up a perimeter with his daggers. If an outsider entered the perimeter he made, he'd know. It was a safety measure since they're outside and the whole kingdom wanted their asses on a silver platter.

Their camp was fireless because the fire could attract their enemies. Entering the small clearing, Xeke saw Cira and the queen talking in a low voice.

Xeke was curious, but he was too tired to even bother eavesdropping and just lay on the grass and closed his eyes to rest. It'd be a long day tomorrow; he was sure of it.

Meanwhile, Grath was on guard duty, and Zassia was sleeping in the wagon with Naya.

"I know it's not only my imagination, Your Highness," Cira said and glanced at the queen sitting on the boulder beside her. "I know you've become stronger, so me, not being here matters not."

The queen was silent.

"I have to do this," Cira said, determined. "It's the only way to expedite the process."

Sollel sighed upon seeing the determination on Cira's eyes. "Will you be okay? You're on a wanted list, you know. Understand that you can't really move freely."

Cira smiled and shrugged. "I'll think of something." Then she looked at Xeke who was sleeping on the ground. "And I'll take him with me too. You won't be able to move freely too with him here."

Sollel knew there were no words that could change Cira's mind. She was too determined to follow her plan. "Promise me you'll be safe."

Cira nodded. "I will succeed with my life intact." She smiled. "Don't worry about me, Your Highness. I'll be fine. I'm an elven warrior, not some weak damsel."

Sollel nodded at that and glanced at Xeke. "I have a feeling that even if you didn't bring him along, he'll still follow you."

Cira chuckled, amused by the queen's observation. "I think so too. I don't know why, but I think Xeke is very attached to me. I know it's bad of me to say this, but he's useful to us."

Sollel stared at Cira who had a calculated look. Sometimes Sollel would think that Cira was not just a normal elven warrior. She might be silly and threw tantrums here and there, but when the situation called for it, she would become this serious and fierce warrior. Like now. This was not the usual playful Cira she's used to. This was the Cira who knew what she wanted and would do anything to get it.

"And with him out of the picture," Cira said as she turned to Sollel, "Her Highness is free to do whatever she wants."

Sollel smiled at that. "You do know that you're going to use a descendant of Sappher?"

Cira shrugged, cold, uncaring, and nonchalant. "I don't care where he came from. What I care about is what he can do and his use to me."

Sollel shook her head. "I sometimes wonder if you were really an elf. Elves are known for their gentle and honest nature. What happened to you, Cira?"

Cira chuckled a little and said, "I have a queen to help and serve. Being gentle and honest won't do me any good."

Sollel raised her hand and messed Cira's hair. "Be careful out there. How long do you think will it take?"

"I'll do it as fast as I could." Cira's determination could never be wavered. "I will keep in touch with you, Your Highness."

Sollel nodded. "Then be careful."

Cira was silent for a moment before she spoke. "Not that I'm worried that you can't handle the enemies, but I will be less worried and anxious if Hakken was here. If the enemies had a moonrite stone, you need Hakken to fight them off. I don't think they'll be other hunters who will help us like Hakken did. We need him, Your Highness."

At the mention of Hakken, Sollel's eyes had a faraway look. "I'd like to think that Hakken is attached to me like how Xeke is attached to you, but there are things I need to know and make sure first before anything else." Then Sollel looked up at the dark sky and smiled. "And if Hakken really wanted me safe, he'll come without me asking."

He wouldn't waste his efforts on me if he would just let me go anyway.

Looking at Queen Sollel, Cira knew she had a plan about Hakken, but Cira didn't ask and just let Her Highness do whatever she wanted to do with him.

"Your Highness, before we leave, let me and Xeke investigate where the kingdom was hiding Queen Gatria."

"No need," Sollel answered, surprising Cira. "I already know where she is."

Cira's eyes widened. "Wh-what? H-how?"

A smile appeared on her lips. "A warlord told me."

Cira was confused. "Warlord? Like a descendant of Sappher?"

"I'm not sure. His weapon was not an arcane weapon, just your normal war blades," Sollel said with a shrug. "The warlord of Sappher all have arcane weapons that only they could wield. And these weapons have abilities that only the wielder could use. When I was fighting the warlord, his weapon has no ability whatsoever. But his fighting prowess was something to be scared of. He's strong..."

"But he fled while fighting Hakken, right?" Cira was not seeing what Sollel was explaining.

Sollel smiled. "Did he really?"

Cira stared at the queen to understand what she was explaining more, but an audible gasp escaped her lips when she saw something on the queen's face. "You're...interested in him."

"Hmm?" Sollel glanced at Cira before nodding. "Yes. I am."

"Oh, my deities..." Cira covered her mouth with her hands in shock. "You're going to break Hakken's heart, Your Highness!"

Sollel laughed a little like something funny just went through her head. "Who says I can't have two? I'm a queen, after all."

Cira was in too much shock that her eyes were about to pop out from their socket. "Holy...deities..."

Sollel couldn't help laughing at Cira's reaction. "Was that shocking?"

Cira nodded aggressively while her hands were still covering her mouth in shock. "I know Her Highness was pure and untouched, so I'm shocked!"

Sollel laughed again. She couldn't help it. "Cira, I may be untouched, but I'm not prude and innocent. I do know a thing or two about copulating and procreation. It was taught to us by our women elders in Yther. As a queen, I have to be well versed in everything, and that includes copulation."

Cira was speechless before pulling herself together. "Well, ah, I didn't see the warlord, so I'm rooting for Hakken."

Sollel smiled, and Cira found it mysterious. Queen Sollel was never interested in romance while they were traveling with Hakken. Yes, she had become close to him, but it was never romantic. There was a connection between the two, but that's it. She was focused on finding and rescuing Queen Gatria. But now the queen seemed interested, not only romantically but also sexually.

What's going on? Cira thought as she stared at the queen even more. Is this part of her plan? Is she planning something? She didn't believe that the queen would be interested in a man without a logical reason.

Cira sighed inwardly. Hakken, wherever you are. I suggest you move quickly, or else...your heart will be torn to pieces.

♕♕♕

"YOUR HIGHNESS, are we really continuing our journey without them?" Zassia asked while watching Cira and Xeke leave. She didn't know why the two decided to leave, but it made her worry and think if they were enough to help Her Highness here. "I mean, are we enough to help?"

Grath was thinking the same thing. He knew how strong Lady Cira, Lord Xeke, and Lord Hakken were. And now it's just them.

"We'll be fine." Sollel's reply calmed Zassia and Grath. "They'll come back once they finished what they had to do."

Naya tightened her hold on Sollel's hand. "Mamma, where are we going?"

Sollel caressed Naya's hair affectionately. "We're going to save a friend of mine."

Grath interjected while looking at Naya. "Your Highness, wherever we're going, I'm sure it's not safe for Lady Naya."

Sollel looked down at Naya who held her hand tightly after hearing what Grath said. She knew it was not safe for Naya, especially where they were going, but she just couldn't leave her. She promised Naya.

"We can leave her with my grandpa if you want, Your Highness," Zassia suggested hesitantly.

"Your grandpa?"

Zassia nodded at Her Highness and showed Sollel the message she received from her grandfather earlier.

"Entrance to the Valley of Bones, Little Zaza," Sollel read the message.

"Valley of Bones?" Grath echoed.

Sollel handed back the message to Zassia and answered Grath, "The Valley of Bones is the first valley we have to cross to reach the Hallowed Valley where my friend is."

"How many valleys do we have to cross, Your Highness?" Zassia asked so she could get ready.

"If my memory serves me right...three," Sollel answered. "The Valley of Bones, the Shivering Valley, and the Desolate Valley Land. After that, we will reach the Hallowed Valley."

Grath took a deep breath. "Three?" And by the names of these valleys, they were definitely not a walk in the park.

"The journey will be torturous." Sollel glanced at Naya. "Would you mind staying with Zassia's grandfather for a while, Naya?" Sollel combed Naya's hair. "It'll be dangerous if you come with us."

Naya was silent for a while before she looked at Sollel like she understood. "Will you come back to get me?"

"Of course."

"Then okay. I'll stay."

Hearing that, Sollel turned to Zassia. "Will your grandpa be okay with Naya?"

Zassia nodded vigorously. "Of course! I lived with my grandpa before I went to live with grandma. Naya will be fine."

Sollel nodded, and a plan was made. They will enter the Valley of Bones, look for Zassia's grandpa, leave Naya in his care, and continue the journey toward the Hallowed Valley.

Sollel knew there's a trap waiting for her in the Hallowed Valley. She was more than certain that it'd be crawling with the kingdom's army and lots and lots of moonrite stones. But she had to free Gatria. Whatever it took and costed.

♕♕♕

"WHAT IS YOUR plan exactly?" Xeke asked Cira while resting after they left the forest near the city of Ager. "Why did you drag me with you?"

Cira drank water from her water canteen before answering Xeke, "Why? Won't you follow me if I left you behind?"

Xeke looked away like he just got caught. "I...would have...followed...you." Xeke did his best not to stutter.

Cira hid her amused smile. "I thought so."

Xeke couldn't look at Cira's eyes. "I, ah, kind of...like you."

"Yeah. I noticed."

Xeke exhaled. "Does me liking you make you uncomfortable?"

"Not really." Cira shrugged. "It's not my first time being confessed to."

Xeke's eyes twitched. "Not your...first time?"

Cira nodded. "So I don't mind at all. You can like me all you want."

"Unrequited, huh?"

"Do you mind?" Cira asked back.

Xeke shrugged. "I can wait."

Cira lifted her eyebrow at Xeke's reply. "You're not even going to ask me if you have a chance?"

Xeke finally had the courage to look at Cira. "Do I?"

"Maybe..." Cira smiled and got up. "For now you're very useful, so I'm keeping you close."

Xeke didn't know how to feel about that, but he knew one thing—it didn't really matter to him if Cira was using him or not. What mattered to him was that Cira needed him. That's all that mattered.

Xeke chuckled to himself. "Hmm...looks like I need to be more useful so you'll keep me close for a long time."

Cira couldn't help smiling. "You like me that much?"

"Apparently, I do."

Cira was stunned by Xeke's honesty, and then she smiled and got up, ready to leave. "Let's get going, Lord Xeke. We have a long way to go. I want to see Her Highness soon."

Xeke smiled and followed Cira.

♕♕♕

HAKKERAN WATCHED the kingdom gather their army to hunt down the Mistress of Flame. A few days from now, the empire's armies would also arrive as per Hakkeran's request to the emperor.

The empire was sending only one powerful flame sorcerer, same with the kingdom.

The hunt would begin soon.

The Mistress of Flame...I wonder what she's doing right now.

Hakkeran gripped a handful of his hair and blew a loud breath. She was his enemy. It was his responsibility to catch her and drag her back to the empire.

"You're ready?"

Hakkeran glanced at Kar who was standing next to him, watching the armies get ready. "Yes."

"We'll find her," said Kar. "According to our intelligence, the Mistress of Flame's group is heading to the Valley of Bones."

"We should get going to catch up immediately," Hakkeran suggested and faced Kar. "I won't let her escape me the second time."

Kar's expression darkened. "You and me both."

Hakkeran took a deep breath and glanced at the forest where the fight happened. "The Mistress of Flame is strong enough, but she also has a hunter with him named Hakken. He's strong. We should all be careful." Hakkeran clicked his tongue when he remembered the hunter. "I want to kill that hunter so bad." How dare he touch what's mine.

"We will get them," Kar promised. "Anyway, have you heard anything about the other warlords?"

Hakkeran shook his head. "Nothing. You?"

"Two. The one is living in Caelum. A general."

Hakkeran frowned. "The castle in the sky?"

"Yes."

"And the second one is in the demon territory. Apparently, he's a halfling."

"Half-demon and half-Sappher?"

"From what I gathered. Yes."

Hakkeran blew a loud breath. "So that's five of us, and two missing warlords."

Kar nodded. "I'll keep digging and update you."

"Thanks. I'll keep digging on my end too." Hakkeran wanted to find the rest of the warlords for a personal reason.

He just hoped that the other warlords were as reasonable as Xeke.

CECELIB | C.C.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

44 6 5
''To all the men who pretend to be gods, and all the women who will succeed them.'' Centuries ago, the world was cursed by the gods. A large tree spr...
24.3K 1.3K 53
One year ago, Prythian suffered an attack at the hands of the necromancer, Melantha. She was ultimately defeated, but the marks of her terrible influ...
106K 3K 31
This takes place after ACOWAR (Characters belong to Sarah J Maas) Azriel x OC ----‐--------------------------------------------------- Prythian is in...
123K 3.5K 53
A year has passed since Seren Marzena returned to the Night Court with her mate, Azriel. Their time of rest is coming to an end. Plans long kept sile...